Options

Goddamn it, Sirens!

Comments

• Options
    CC252 wrote:
    I swear we went through all this back in 2006 when Come Back was released, and in my opinion Come Back is one of the best songs the band has ever recorded.

yeah. i almost did a "Sirens Vs. Comeback" thread, but i don't think we (the board) are ready for it yet.
    :P

I too absolutely loved Comeback when i first heard it, but saw the song taking it from all sides as "not pearl jam" or "too obviously just a rip off of some other sound" (like 50s rock?) ... Sirens is different though. Comeback was VERY easy to take in on first listen. Probably because it throws back to 1950s rock n roll love songs in some way. Sirens definitely is "Music you have to keep listening to". Seems universally on here, people who like it or love it are listening to it repeatedly to arrive at that conclusion. Its not an out-of-the-gate-obvious tune. Hmm.
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • Options
    mr.macmr.mac Posts: 162
    I thought you were only "okay".
    I decided to give myself time with my thoughts.
    I decided i wouldn't listen to you again for a while.
    decided to wait for the album.
    but ...
    then i listened again.
    just to see
    what all the fuss was about.
    and it seemed somehow better the second time.
    and i decided it was "good".
    and time passed.
    I thought two listens was enough for 24 hours.
    I thought I could wait till the album came out.
    I went to work.
    And i hummed the parts I could remember.
    I came home, and eventually had to play it once again.
    I listened, and I decided it was "pretty groovy", actually.
    Then it happened.
    I hit "replay" and watched the video again.
    I listened. I fell in.
    I hit "replay", I listened again. I was still falling.
    Replay 3. Replay 4. ... AHHHHHH....

GODDAMNIT SIRENS >... GODDAMN YOU.
    fuck off!
    FUCK off!!!

Perfect! 2 days in a row while driving to work it came on PJ radio, and 2 days in a row I replayed it several times. It's a damn good song!
  • Options
    DollarDollar Posts: 237
    I don't want to make a negative thread on Sirens so I'll say it in here to you. The song is not good. I have never heard so much hype for a Pearl Jam song and been so disappointed. It is so fucking cheesey and would be made fun of by Pearl Jam fans if it wasn't Pearl Jam. I have listened to the song 5 times now and cringe every time I hear it. Sirens is the official end to Grunge! Pearl Jam has become a Bob Dylan or Bruce Springsteen where no matter what music they put out it's the greatest.[/quote]

As someone who has been a Bruce fan for over 35 years & has been to 180 concerts, you have given PJ the ultimate compliment even though that wasn't your intention. The band,particularly Eddie,would be honored to be compared to Bruce!!!
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,168
    Sirens is the official end to Grunge!.
    Grunge is dead
    Pearl Jam still playing,
    time to celebrate!!
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    Grunge is dead
    Pearl Jam still playing,
    time to celebrate!!

exactly Grunge died yrs ago get over it , this is where the band is at now in their carreers and ni'm happy to be going along for this ride ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Grunge is dead
    Pearl Jam still playing,
    time to celebrate!!

exactly Grunge died yrs ago get over it , this is where the band is at now in their carreers and ni'm happy to be going along for this ride ...
    OLE!!! :mrgreen:
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    Dimmi have to make it a point next Euro tour i'm there , and i trust this band ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    I absolutely LOVE Sirens!!!!!!!!!!!
    Pearl Jam Shows: 1998 - 9/11 New York, NY (MSG night 2); 9/13 Hartford, CT || 2000 - 8/24 Wantagh, NY (Jones Beach 2); 8/27 Saratoga Springs; 8/29 Mansfield, MA (night 1); 8/30 Mansfield, MA (night 2) || 2003 - 4/29 Albany, NY; 5/3 State College, PA; 7/2 Mansfield (night 1); 7/6 Camden, NJ (night 2); 7/8 New York, NY (MSG night 1) || 2004 - 9/28 Boston, MA (night 1); 9/29 Boston, MA (night 2) || 2005 - 10/3 Philadelphia, PA || 2006 - 5/12 Albany, NY; 5/13 Hartford, CT; 5/24 Boston, MA (night 1); 5/25 Boston, MA (night 2); 5/27 Camden, NJ (night 1); 5/28 Camden, NJ (night 2)|| 2008 - 6/19 Camden, NJ (night 1); 6/24 New York, NY (MSG night 1); 6/25 New York, NY (MSG night 2); 6/27 Hartford, CT; 6/28 Mansfield, MA (night 1); 6/30 Mansfield, MA (night 2); 7/1 New York, NY (Beacon Theater)|| 2009 - 9/21 Seattle, WA (night 1); 9/22 Seattle, WA (night 2); 10/27 Philadelphia, PA (Spectrum night 1); 10/28 Philadelphia, PA (Spectrum night 2); 10/30 Philadelphia, PA (Spectrum night 3); 10/31 Philadelphia, PA (Spectrum night 4)|| 2010 - 5/15 Hartford, CT; 5/17 Boston, MA; 5/20 New York, NY (MSG night 1); 5/21 New York, NY (MSG night 2)|| 2011 - 9/3 East Troy, WI (PJ20); 9/4 East Troy, WI (PJ20) || 2012 - 9/2 Philadelphia, PA, 9/30 Missoula, MT || 2013 - 7/19 Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field), 10/12 Buffalo, NY, 10/15 Worcester, MA (night 1), 10/16 Worcester, MA (night 2), 10/18 Brooklyn, NY (night 1), 10/19 Brooklyn, NY (night 2), 10/25 Hartford, CT || 2014 - 10/22 Denver, CO || 2015 -  9/26 New York, NY (Global Citizen Festival) || 2016 - 5/1 New York, NY (night 1), 5/2 New York, NY (night 2), 8/5 Boston, MA (Fenway Park night 1), 8/7 Boston, MA (Fenway Park night 2) || 2018 - 9/2 Boston, MA (Fenway Park night 1) || 2020 - 3/30 New York, NY
    Eddie Vedder solo: 2008 - Boston night 1 & 2 || 2009 - Albany, NY night 1 & 2 || 2011 - Hartford, CT, Boston, MA

• Options
    Dimmi have to make it a point next Euro tour i'm there , and i trust this band ...
    in 9 months boys will be in europe!!woot!
  • Options
    QuarterToTenQuarterToTen Cincinnati, Ohio Posts: 3,626
    edited September 2013
    The lyrics are devastating.
    The vocals are absolute perfection.
    The music is simple, haunting and beautiful in every way.
    The meaning evokes such tremendous, intense emotion that we can all empathize with, in staggering ways.

Everything I have missed about Pearl Jam in their recent albums.

An instant classic.
    A gorgeous song that grabbed me, hard, from the very first listen.

Goddamn it.

Post edited by QuarterToTen on
    Nice shirt.
  • Options
    My whole problem with the typical 80s power ballad is not how they sound. It's that the lyrics, more often than not, sound as if they were written by a third grader.

Ed doesn't write like a third grader. This song is deep and it is poetic. And if you don't think it's deep, you aren't understanding it properly.

"I danced in laughter with the everafter" is already on the short list of "most poetic one-liners Ed Vedder has ever committed to song."

If Warrant were actually capable of lyrics like this, they would probably be my favorite band ever.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,078
    Sirens is the official end to Grunge!

Thank fucking god. I hate that word. Glad it's "official" now.
  • Options
    Abe Froman wrote:
    Sirens is the official end to Grunge!

Thank fucking god. I hate that word. Glad it's "official" now.
    :lol:
  • Options
    My whole problem with the typical 80s power ballad is not how they sound. It's that the lyrics, more often than not, sound as if they were written by a third grader.

Ed doesn't write like a third grader. This song is deep and it is poetic. And if you don't think it's deep, you aren't understanding it properly.

"I danced in laughter with the everafter" is already on the short list of "most poetic one-liners Ed Vedder has ever committed to song."

If Warrant were actually capable of lyrics like this, they would probably be my favorite band ever.
    i would pay monthly memebrship just to read you..!
  • Options
    They lyrics are devastating.
    The meaning evokes such tremendous, intense emotion that we can all empathize with, in staggering ways.

An instant classic.

Goddamn it.

yes...yes and yes...

thats the right word..

Goddamn it.
  • Options
    shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,787
    I convinced my husband to give it a listen (he's defiantly not a fan :roll:) and he had nothing but positive things to say. I'm happy to have a pj song we can like together. My 13 yo daughter also loves it. She synched it last night to join her other favorite pj tunes (GTF, oceans, fixer, daughter). I really love it more every time I listen and am thrilled it seems to touch so many different people. Good job guys!
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,891
    This song is going to be killer live.
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    SVRDhand13 wrote:
    This song is going to be killer live.
  • Options
    UmikoUmiko Buenos Aires, Argentina Posts: 38
    edited September 2013
    I cannot stop listening to "Sirens". I have the player in repeat mode and I just cannot stop. The music is fantastic. The lyrics are amazing and Eddie's voice... oh my god. I'm dying to hear "Sirens" live. Please please please that moment needs to come soon.
    Post edited by Umiko on
  • Options
    JTHJTH Chicago Posts: 3,238
    ...I can CERTAINLY understand how amplified this feeling of dissatisfaction would be if you were a riff-master and hook-genius whose talents were being underutilized AND you had been the "rhythm" guitarist in a two guitarist band, only to be told you were now the THIRD guitarist in a band with a lead singer who plays VERY loud, very aggressive, hard handed rhythm. You basically lost your job. You are eye candy on the stage.
    I've often wondered why Mike and Stone never both play lead in the same song. it works for lots of other bands with 2 or more guitarists.

P.S. Is this the first time anyone has ever referred to Stone as eye candy?
  • Options
    shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,787
    Umiko wrote:
    I cannot stop listening to "Sirens". I have the player in repeat mode and I just cannot stop. The music is fantastic. The lyrics are amazing and Eddie's voice... oh my god. I'm dying to hear "Sirens" live. Please please please that moment needs to come soon.

Me too. I tried putting in a bootleg and listening to Sirius (at least if it gets played I get to hear it :lol:) My head keeps coming back to sirens. I'm loving having new pj music to obsess over and can't wait to hear the whole album. There goes my productivity! :lol:
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • Options

Well said, and this is why I think this whole "power ballad" argument is build on sand. One critic mentioned it and before you know it, it goes viral - without people even knowing what power ballads of the eighties used to be like.

Welcome to the world of internet I guess. Where going viral is equal to "truth".
  • Options

An instant classic.

Goddamn it.

This is what I wanted to say...but couldnt find the words!! :-)
    Never, ever, flipping forget
    "Free Shipping" SPEEDY MCCREADY

My friend was going to see Eddie last night. Since he was in Vegas, I gave him 5 Grand to gamble with. I told him I wanted it all to go on Black. Bastard! PhillyCrownOfThorns-11-2-12
  • Options
    QuarterToTenQuarterToTen Cincinnati, Ohio Posts: 3,626

An instant classic.

Goddamn it.

This is what I wanted to say...but couldnt find the words!! :-)

Nice shirt.
  • Options
    I'm loving having new pj music to obsess over and can't wait to hear the whole album. There goes my productivity! :lol:

Hahaha exactly.
  • Options

An instant classic.

Goddamn it.

THIS. It gives me goosebumps just to imagine hearing Sirens live.
  • Options
    I think its going to be a song in a movie, and i hope its not a song in greys anatomy or some other drama tv show.

I think its going to be a huge song, their first #1? has the best chance.

Its a power ballad done right, without cheese.

I think everyone thinks its cheesy because it is a power ballad, but it is done right.
  • Options
    KateAKateA Posts: 182
    Ok, I'm officially addicted now.
    Caught myself humming "hear the sirens" unconsciously every time the ambulance or police car sped by my office, which was some 5 or 6 times today (working in a big city). The looks I got... :?
    Was a bit surprised by first listen too...but...I love the bass line and the drumming....by the 2nd listen my heart was beating in tune with that...and I love the lyrics and the vocal...by 3rd listen I started melting...and that f*ing awesome solo...(I wish it was looooooonger)...and the guitars...and the piano...and that addictive chorus haunting me now (it's bound to be the new "Too doo doo too, too doo doo" - no other comparisons though)...I guess I love it all...and more and more by the minute...I'm becoming a melted puddle of admiration (that sound a bit :fp: but I can't help it ;) )
    And I love MYM too so much...
    Can't wait to get my hands on the whole album.
    Just love you PJ!Simple as that. Thank you.
    <hr>Normality is the death of personality.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,760
    Wow- if this were the only Sirens thread on the board one would assume that 99% of fans here are absolutely bankers in love with this song. Only one dissenting vote that I've noticed so far.

Brave soul! :lol:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    brianlux wrote:
    Wow- if this were the only Sirens thread on the board one would assume that 99% of fans here are absolutely bankers in love with this song. Only one dissenting vote that I've noticed so far.

Brave soul! :lol:

I am not sure if I am bankers in love, but it is a solid tune that gets his message across - that much is clear. I like the lyrics and theme more, at this point at least, than the music. But that is nothing new to me. I hated Binaural on the first few listens. Now it is in my top five. I suspect it is going to be a slowburner.

I have heard better PJ songs, but also worse ones. Thats how it goes. If I would love every song equally, well, than I can no longer differentiate. And I like to differentiate. I like to have those few tunes that have a special meaning to me.

Its all perspective.