Options

Goddamn it, Sirens!

Comments

• Options
    corduroykellycorduroykelly Posts: 668
    edited September 2013
    I only listened to it twice yesterday and I said to my wife I don't know if I can get into this. Today I can't stop listening to it. I've listened to it about 10 times, including right now. It's really good and I like it a lot, but I almost wish it was another band and not THIS band. I dunno. As long as they don't have more songs like it, lol. But it's funny how a song can grow on you.

I don't want to make a negative thread on Sirens so I'll say it in here to you. The song is not good. I have never heard so much hype for a Pearl Jam song and been so disappointed. It is so fucking cheesey and would be made fun of by Pearl Jam fans if it wasn't Pearl Jam. I have listened to the song 5 times now and cringe every time I hear it. Sirens is the official end to Grunge! Pearl Jam has become a Bob Dylan or Bruce Springsteen where no matter what music they put out it's the greatest.
    Post edited by corduroykelly on
  • Options
    I thought you were only "okay".
    I decided to give myself time with my thoughts.
    I decided i wouldn't listen to you again for a while.
    decided to wait for the album.
    but ...
    then i listened again.
    just to see
    what all the fuss was about.
    and it seemed somehow better the second time.
    and i decided it was "good".
    and time passed.
    I thought two listens was enough for 24 hours.
    I thought I could wait till the album came out.
    I went to work.
    And i hummed the parts I could remember.
    I came home, and eventually had to play it once again.
    I listened, and I decided it was "pretty groovy", actually.
    Then it happened.
    I hit "replay" and watched the video again.
    I listened. I fell in.
    I hit "replay", I listened again. I was still falling.
    Replay 3. Replay 4. ... AHHHHHH....

GODDAMNIT SIRENS >... GODDAMN YOU.
    fuck off!
    FUCK off!!!
    This
  • Options
    The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, Canada Posts: 12,158
    I only listened to it twice yesterday and I said to my wife I don't know if I can get into this. Today I can't stop listening to it. I've listened to it about 10 times, including right now. It's really good and I like it a lot, but I almost wish it was another band and not THIS band. I dunno. As long as they don't have more songs like it, lol. But it's funny how a song can grow on you.

I don't want to make a negative thread on Sirens so I'll say it in here to you. The song is not good. I have never heard so much hype for a Pearl Jam song and been so disappointed. It is so fucking cheesey and would be made fun of by Pearl Jam fans if it wasn't Pearl Jam. I have listened to the song 5 times now and cringe every time I hear it. Sirens is the official end to Grunge! Pearl Jam has become a Bob Dylan or Bruce Springsteen where no matter what music they put out it's the greatest.

Not sure why you decided to single me out. You could have just wrote a reply without quoting me or anyone else. I'm in no mood to get into it with anyone tonight. So Lets just agree to disagree. Hey at least we both like Corduroy, right.
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • Options
    RP112579RP112579 Tinley Park, IL Posts: 3,360
    :clap:
    6/29/98 Chicago-United Center
    6/18/03 Chicago-United Center
    5/17/06 Chicago-United Center
    7/19/13 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh-Consol Energy Center
    10/17/14 Moline-IWireless Center (No Code)
    10/20/14 Milwaukee-Bradley center (Yield)
    4/26/16 Lexington-Rupp Arena
    8/20/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/18/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/20/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    9/5/23 Chicago-United Center
    9/7/23 Chicago-United Center
  • Options

Not sure why you decided to single me out. You could have just wrote a reply without quoting me or anyone else. I'm in no mood to get into it with anyone tonight. So Lets just agree to disagree. Hey at least we both like Corduroy, right.

You said you weren't into it like me. I didn't quote you. Don't people reply to other peoples posts on here?
    Oh, your the guy who gets into it with people. :roll:
  • Options
    PU38569PU38569 Posts: 260

Grunge officially never started

read the lyrics, listen to this song again, read the lyrics, listen to this song again, and if you still don't get it - try again in 10 years, and good luck to you in the meantime my friend.
    This is a birthday pony
  • Options

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOi9GQY5v2o
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    prljamgirlprljamgirl Edmonton, AB Posts: 602

You said you weren't into it like me. I didn't quote you. Don't people reply to other peoples posts on here?
    Oh, your the guy who gets into it with people. :roll:

There are two ways to reply to a thread on here....click post reply at the bottom of the page and write your post OR click quote at the top of someone's post (this method is commonly used when you are responding to someone specifically, which is why he said you were quoting him....and why I quoted you).
  • Options
    The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, Canada Posts: 12,158

Lmao :lol:

Hey I'm just trying to watch the game and finish my drink! :D
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • Options
    grazmangrazman Posts: 198

I like a bit of cheesy rock from time to time, but this song isn't cheesy. Its very mainstream for PJ, its a pop ballad, but its not cheesy at all.

And by the way...its 2013 not 1994.
    It's Evolution, Baby!
  • Options
    Grew on me so much. love it.

I don't get why people keep calling it cheesy... See here's the thing... Sure, the chorus is undeniably catchy and has a certain amount of 80s power ballad in it... but how can it be cheesy. Clearly, from Mike's interviews he put his fucking heart and soul into this song. Eddie sings his balls off. Brendan talks about how he feels it is a huge achievement. Cheesy is effortless, corny music that was made for radio.. When these guys put there heart and soul in it which cannot be denied... how can it be cheesy? Brendan himself initially said its a great long pop song. It has pop elements. It's catchy. Thats the type of song it is.. but it is not cheesy..

Not to mention the rest of the album will be a complete mixed bag.
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
  • Options
    grazmangrazman Posts: 198
    Grew on me so much. love it.

I don't get why people keep calling it cheesy... See here's the thing... Sure, the chorus is undeniably catchy and has a certain amount of 80s power ballad in it... but how can it be cheesy. Clearly, from Mike's interviews he put his fucking heart and soul into this song. Eddie sings his balls off. Brendan talks about how he feels it is a huge achievement. Cheesy is effortless, corny music that was made for radio.. When these guys put there heart and soul in it which cannot be denied... how can it be cheesy? Brendan himself initially said its a great long pop song. It has pop elements. It's catchy. Thats the type of song it is.. but it is not cheesy..

Not to mention the rest of the album will be a complete mixed bag.

Exactly. I think some fans on here are just using the word cheesy to mean mainstream radio-friendly etc. It's not cheesy at all imo.
    It's Evolution, Baby!
  • Options
    JTHJTH Chicago Posts: 3,238
    I can't recall Mike playing an acoustic guitar in concert before (besides the obvious Unplugged-type shows). Has he?
    I was thinking the same thing. When I saw the video it surprised the hell out of me to see Mike playing the acoustic part and Stone playing the electric.
  • Options
    I love it...

I FUCKING LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You know....of ALL the responses and given your history of sarcasm...i cant tell if you really mean it or not!! ;);)
    Never, ever, flipping forget
    "Free Shipping" SPEEDY MCCREADY

My friend was going to see Eddie last night. Since he was in Vegas, I gave him 5 Grand to gamble with. I told him I wanted it all to go on Black. Bastard! PhillyCrownOfThorns-11-2-12
  • Options
    I love it...

You know....of ALL the responses and given your history of sarcasm...i cant tell if you really mean it or not!! ;);)
    Its a beautiful song.
    That I have listened to 50 times in the last 36 hours.
    Its just fucking perfect.
  • Options
    I love it...

Its a beautiful song.
    That I have listened to 50 times in the last 36 hours.
    Its just fucking perfect.

Well I believe you now! ;-)

You know, its funny....I said yesterday after listening 2 or 3 times it was the (IMHO) best thing the band had done in the last 10+ years if not more, and people said I was off my rocker....I stick with what I said... already in MY top 5 ever... :-)

My friend was going to see Eddie last night. Since he was in Vegas, I gave him 5 Grand to gamble with. I told him I wanted it all to go on Black. Bastard! PhillyCrownOfThorns-11-2-12
  • Options
    Couldnt agree more. Ive listened to it consistently over the past 24 hrs. Its gone from eh, to good to great. Hate to say it, hate to type it even more, but top 10... Just imagine them playing this live and extending the ending while the crowd is singing o-ho, a-ha, o-ho, a-ha, o-ho, a-ha
    I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side
    I am right by your side...
  • Options

You know, its funny....I said yesterday after listening 2 or 3 times it was the (IMHO) best thing the band had done in the last 10+ years if not more, and people said I was off my rocker....I stick with what I said... already in MY top 5 ever... :-)
    Ok here ya go...
    SPEEDY talking to you...
    SPEEDY being serious(Which doesnt happen often)

Much like what Unthought Known did for me.
    This song just makes me look at my/our mortality. It makes me think of our short time on Earth. It makes me think of my folks, and how much it kills me to deal with their ill health the last few years. These lyrics make me realize just how precious our lives are. I could go on and on, but I think you know what I am getting at.

Life is short.
    Enjoy every precious moment you have.
    Don't be afraid to tell your loved ones that you love them.

Now go ahead and fall off your computer chair after reading all that.
    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    I too have a raging Sirens boner that started out as a very small chub.

I'm glad we are all enjoying it now. Let the haters hate!
  • Options

Ok here ya go...
    SPEEDY talking to you...
    SPEEDY being serious(Which doesnt happen often)

Much like what Unthought Known did for me.
    This song just makes me look at my/our mortality. It makes me think of our short time on Earth. It makes me think of my folks, and how much it kills me to deal with their ill health the last few years. These lyrics make me realize just how precious our lives are. I could go on and on, but I think you know what I am getting at.

Life is short.
    Enjoy every precious moment you have.
    Don't be afraid to tell your loved ones that you love them.

Now go ahead and fall off your computer chair after reading all that.
    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Brought a tear to my eye, brother! :oops: .... Glad Im not the only one that it has had a profound effect on! I really cant put it into words, but as I you, you know a bit of my history and can understand where I am coming from... :D

• Options

Brought a tear to my eye, brother! :oops: .... Glad Im not the only one that it has had a profound effect on! I really cant put it into words, but as I you, you know a bit of my history and can understand where I am coming from... :D
    Yesterday, as I listened to that song back to back 30 times...
    My mind was racing 100 miles an hour...
    The effect that song had on me?
    YIKES!!!!

After the 3rd listen there was an instant phone call to my folks house.
    "Hey is it OK if I come visit Saturday, maybe go out for lunch? "
    :lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,838
    My wife(not a big PJ fan) was humming this yesterday after hearing my repeated listens. It sticks with you. I really like this song.
  • Options
    eddiec wrote:
    My wife(not a big PJ fan) was humming this yesterday after hearing my repeated listens. It sticks with you. I really like this song.
    My wife walked into the house tonight...
    I was serenading her with this song...

If I should go, I want you to know....Blah blah blah..
    She listened to me... Gave me an awkward look...And then had this to say...

"You're an idiot."
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,168
    i lost count..listening 3 days in the row nonstop
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,304
    So far, a little bit more than 20 times (according to Last.fm scrobbler). :mrgreen:
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    i really would like to like it... but I can't. after half a dozen spins it still does absolutely nothing for me. it's just a bland middle aged easy listening ballad.
    Yeh I've seen Pearl Jam, too. But I can't remember the dates.
  • Options
    eddiec wrote:
    My wife walked into the house tonight...
    I was serenading her with this song...

If I should go, I want you to know....Blah blah blah..
    She listened to me... Gave me an awkward look...And then had this to say...

"You're an idiot."
    :lol:
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options

having so many pj friends at facebook,and reading the 2 main pearl jam facebook pages,most of fans love it..every 20 fans love it,1 fan doesnt..go figure how effect people
  • Options
    JTH wrote:
    I can't recall Mike playing an acoustic guitar in concert before (besides the obvious Unplugged-type shows). Has he?
    I was thinking the same thing. When I saw the video it surprised the hell out of me to see Mike playing the acoustic part and Stone playing the electric.

I've been thinking about this too.
    I don't want to read TOO much in to this,
    but i think it very may well be part of "the new dynamic" either insisted upon directly by Stone, or consented upon in deference to him out of respect. I know stone is a weird guy. I mean, I love his role, but know he is reserved, "shy", and somewhat uncomfortable in the limelight, so it's hard to judge if he is dissastisified generally or comes off that way simply because he is a bit ackward by nature ... BUT, i do feel, like a lot of others here, that Stone has come across as legitimately "bored" and "tired" of Pearl Jam in the last decade. I don't think he has "completely checked out", but I can understand where a 50 year old man in a band that played very loud abrasive rock would have problems rationalizing their direction in current times, and I can CERTAINLY understand how amplified this feeling of dissatisfaction would be if you were a riff-master and hook-genius whose talents were being underutilized AND you had been the "rhythm" guitarist in a two guitarist band, only to be told you were now the THIRD guitarist in a band with a lead singer who plays VERY loud, very aggressive, hard handed rhythm. You basically lost your job. You are eye candy on the stage. I think this is something more than a token "throw a bone to Stone". I think this is, "okay, we'll change things up. On this song. And possibly more generally. Showcase your talents buddy. Use that Bigsby tremolo. Put your slide on. Groove out. BE STONE. WELCOME BACK!" I hope. We NEED Stone back. It isn't the same when he don't smile.

PS - my girl is also real defensive of this song. She says, "I know I'm a girl, but i really like that song. It's good. Not just for Pearl Jam. It's a good song. It's really good." she also said, in response to my friend who has pissed all over the pearl jam cereal bowl for the last 10 years (but loves Soundgarden still), "why don't we just wait till Lightning Bolt comes out and we'll listen to it, then we'll listen to King Animal, and we will see who has something to complain about."
    :D
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • Options
    CC252CC252 Posts: 61
    Played the song about ten times yesterday. absolutely love it. Really don't get where people are coming from with the words like 'cheesey' and 'power ballad'.

It sounds nothing like a song you'd expect to hear on a power ballads album, and there are songs on Ten that are far more anthemic and appealing to the masses than this song.

I swear we went through all this back in 2006 when Come Back was released, and in my opinion Come Back is one of the best songs the band has ever recorded.

Hell, 95% of us have been listening to this band for 20+ years and must be in our mid 30's+ and there's absolutely nothing wrong with maturing with the band and being able to enjoy mellower songs.
    Manchester - Torino - London - Amsterdam - Leeds - Praha