Options

Ramones Museum Berlin with Brendan O' Brien 9/3/13

Comments

• Options
    - totally the album is more mid-tempo (slower?) than backspacer. and it's not "tight" as BS.

Sounds positive!
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,159
    COPY -PASTE FRANZI REVIEW(AWESOME JOB GIRL)

And now to the Brendan O'Brien Q&A and the press promo video that they
    showed us before listening to the album.

The video was around 10 minutes long & featured parts of the songs Sirens,
    Mind Your Manners, Lightning Bolt & Getaway.
    Getaway was an early mix and sounded really different then what we heard on
    the record later, Brendan apologized for ruining the song in that first
    video.
    You could see snippets of the MYM music video, interviews with the whole
    band, and Ed alone in his car & in the studio archive or something like
    that.
    Ed talked mostly, but the projector was really dark and the sound quality
    not that good so that we couldn't understand anything.
    Mike talked about Sirens being the song he's most proud of, Ed talked about
    waves (no surprise, haha) & that songwriting is like a wave, once you are
    on there you can swim.
    Ed also said that he is always relieved after a new album is finished and
    that he likes to see what's next.
    He also talked about the inspiration to the lyrics or album in general,
    that it's about what's going on on the planet. (But, isn't it always? :D)
    You can also see Ed rocking out in his car to the new record, haha.

So, now to the Q&A.

Brendan talked about how he and the band first got together. They toured
    europe at that time (1992) and asked Brendan to fly over for their gig in
    Nuremberg (Rock im Park) &
    he really came all the way to europe for them.
    Then he was asked about Of The Earth and I probably understood the first
    part wrong because I think he said it was recorded for the last record, but
    then someone asked again and B said it was never recorded because it just
    didn't fit, but he liked the song live. I thought that was weird.
    We then asked what he knew about the new leaks Cold Confession & let it
    ride, but he said he never heard of them. I don't trust him on that one ;)

Then the topic changed to Sleeping By Myself. B said something about it
    being PJ written, which I didn't understand, maybe he meant that Ed
    initially thought this would be a PJ song but later put it on his solo
    record. Brendan loooved the song and wanted it on a PJ record badly so he
    convinced the band to do a band version of it.

He then talks about the recording process, that in the past he was the one
    with little kids who had to leave recording sessions to be with his family
    and now the opposite is the case with them all having families. They don't
    always record in Atlanta anymore, try to be more near Seattle. They
    produced the songs in LA & mixed them in Seattle this time. B didn't seem
    to like it that much, he said something about all (the band) being more
    concentrated if they are somewhere farer away without much distraction.
    They bring there own recordings or song drafts to the studio and then they
    work on them/select them together. Ed wants to please everyone and tries to
    sing on all the music they bring in, he also finishes the songs. He said
    that to the band it's clear, that they wouldn't do a great album without
    Ed. That sounded a bit strange to me ;)
    B can't remember them ever writing songs together. He said it's always that
    someone brings something in and then they go over it later, but not really
    like for example a Stone&Mike song or something like that. They are more on
    their own while songwriting.

Pendulum was recorded for Backspacer but later didn't fit.
    They also got a couple songs leftover from the LB session.

B has nothing to do with a Lost Dogs II kind of album, he is there for
    focusing on the future and the new stuff.

Infallible is a Jeff song, Sirens is from Mike & Let The Records Play is a
    Stone song. B said that he thinks there's no Matt song on LB.

He also told us (because of the years between the albums) that Ed has to be
    ready. Like, they all wait for Ed to give his ok, because he is the main
    force for writing. Otherwise the recording process is more democratic than
    in other bands.
    & B told he always takes his time for PJ records, especially because they
    record so little, so it's only around 40 studio days in 3 years.

We then asked if he enjoyed his Birthday Wishes we all sent him from
    Belfast in 2010 and he said he liked it very much & that his daughters
    organized it and he was really surprised. They played it in the evening at
    his house on a big screen ;)

B was asked about the Mirrorball tour and said that he had a blast doing
    that and that Neil made a great choice, asking PJ to play with him. He also
    said that he wouldn't really want to tour again because he is more a studio
    kind of guy and not made for touring :D
    He then was asked about Wrigley and just told that Ed was really grumpy
    because of the delay.

& he told that there will be a new Gaslight Anthem album in January, don't
    know if that's stuff everybody already knows, but maybe it's good news for
    some of you.

END OF THE Q&A

The fans had enough time to ask questions, even several, I think ONLY fans
    asked questions, no one from the press did.

:)
    Franzi
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    Crazy MarTyNCrazy MarTyN Berlin/germany Posts: 41
    Thanks Franzi!! Well done! :clap::clap::clap:
  • Options
    morellomorello Auckland, New Zealand Posts: 6,210
    Great report. Thanks franzi & others who have reported back. :)
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,721
    thanks for the Q & A write up, found that very interesting indeed
  • Options
    question for you guys there

a previous studio clip showed the band in a song with hand claps that seemed really interesting, any sign of that?
  • Options
    pdalowsky wrote:
    thanks for the Q & A write up, found that very interesting indeed
    yep..very intresting!!
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    Thanks for the new postings! I've really enjoyed reading about the event.
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • Options
    Thanks for the updates, everybody!
  • Options
    Now I'm getting excited...
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    BenzBenz Posts: 117
    You know what made this event even more special for me!?
    Brandon signed my V.S. vinyl!!! Now it`s complete. I have all the original members on it even Dave.
    Pretty nice if you think that i got Dave`s sig in 2009 and Brandon`s in 2013.

I told Brandon that it`s Dave`s sig on the cover and he said "How the hell did you get that?" I told him the story and he said "Yeah Dave is a nice guy!"

vs_complete.jpg
  • Options
    I'm loving all these comments. Because to me, mid tempo, different, darker, stranger, harder to grasp songs on first listen are EXACTLY what I want. As a huge supporter of Riot Act, Binaural, No Code, etc... I tend to love the weird and different stuff. Backspacer is great of course, it's PJ, but there's not too many layers to it. Love it right away but as time goes on it doesn't remain as powerful or special as those other records. Still love it. Anyways, this new album seems to have those growing qualities and everyone likes different songs which means DIVERSITY. I am fucking excited! 8-)
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
  • Options
    Good morning jammers,

a few words about the afternoon in the Ramones Museum yesterday. i think Franzi and cris did a really good job in describing the songs. i wouldn't be able to do this properlly....so thanks again for that!
    my thoughts:

- I love the album but i tell you....it's so fucking hard to hear a new PJ record just for one fucking time and not a single rotation more...THAT'S BRUTAL! CRUELTY!! we all know that you NEED a lot of listens to get the real feeling for the album! oh oh, the next month will be so hard. to be honest...i don't know if it wouldn't be better to hear NOTHING until you have the vinyl in your hands and a record player i front of you. glass of vine, maybe a good friend...yesterday it was my first record release session of a new PJ album without my best friend Alfred (R.I.P.), so I was happy to be able to hear it at least with some other hardcore jammers like Cris, Franzi, becky, Benz and all.
    But on the other hand...there were a lot of people in a small room, mostly german press guys. so these guys have to write a proper review about the album now. It will be hard for them as they had a lot to do with talking and drinking and eating. AND...everybody has to stand (beside me and a few jammers who took the stage), it was quite hot too. But okay...I'm too hard....that were just a few guys but as Becky knows...when Eddie sings EVERBODY HAS TO SHUT THE FUCK UP!!! as i wrote, it was nice to see friends like Cris and Franzi enjoying the songs as i did. they were able to note some stuff for the board, i had to close my eyes as i didn't want to see any bored face who isn't really interested in the album AND i wanted to focus on the music totally.

- about the songs...as they wrote: there are some real catchy tunes like "Sirens" or "Getaway" (love both) but a song like "Yellow Moon".....can i say It's GREAT? or BORING?? i need a second listen, and one more and more and more....but it's at least a GOOD song. the same with others...

- "Pendulum" is KILLER!! One of my favourites!!!! New sound, new darker mood for PJ in my opinion! Doesn't fit on BS but here....perfect!!
    - "Infallible", "Getaway", "Lightning Bolt", "Future Days", "swalloed whole", "My Father's Son" (what a surprising song) :clap::clap::clap:
    - "Sleeping by myself" good alternate version of the song but WHY NOT A B-SIDE??? I just want to hear new songs on a new album. this is no recycling station.
    - totally the album is more mid-tempo (slower?) than backspacer. and it's not "tight" as BS.

- after the first listen: I was more into Backspacer. for me that was easier to get into after one single listen. I remember saying "Yeah, fucking one of their best albums! Love it! yeah yeah yeah!!" not the same this time but a really fucking very good feeling (Oh yeah!!). not a bad feeling. just need more time. We call albums like these a grower.. ;) maybe after many listens i will say "Nah...it's just a "good" album!" but it's still possible that i'll say "That's fucking great!" what i want to say...makes no sense to write to many words about a PJ album we just heard one time or NO time...october is close folks and then we know the truth about OUR opinion. It's music.

Oh hell...that's no review, sorry mates! And sorry for my bad english. But i had the feeling to share some things because i know you want to read some stuff. I really would like to know more about the Q&A with brendan as i had to leave after the listening session for a really really bad job!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

No, i try to calm myself down with some PJ unplugged tunes... 8-)

See you next month to hear this shit live!
    M
    thanks Martin..awesome review!!seeya at next tour buddy!!
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    I'm loving all these comments. Because to me, mid tempo, different, darker, stranger, harder to grasp songs on first listen are EXACTLY what I want. As a huge supporter of Riot Act, Binaural, No Code, etc... I tend to love the weird and different stuff. ... I am fucking excited! 8-)

Agreed :thumbup: After reading the reviews, I am most excited about the darker stuff. Not that long to go now!
  • Options
    Benz, that was your vinyl? Haha...we saw that and wanted to steal it, but then it was gone suddenly!

I couldn't agree more with Martin, that's definitely how I felt too. Well, except that I thought from the start that I might like this album better than Backspacer :lol:

Sirens & Getaway are very catchy. At least those are the 2 songs that are stuck in my head today. It's funny, yesterday I couldn't remember the melodies anymore but this morning they were back in my head. Chris could play a few chords of sirens on guitar, he might make a little video clip today :D

And it is really sooo hard, because now that I know the songs I want to listen to them even more, but it's only 38 days if I counted correctly.

The London soundcheck is Infallible, we recognized it straight away today, there is a special melody at the end of the verses or something like that that Chris wrote down & the rhythm is really quite unique to the other songs on the record.

Pendulum might also be one of my favorites, as is Sirens. I want to hear those damn songs again!!! Hopefully they'll leak soon :D
    I wrote that Bleeding Muddy Water by Lanegan reminded me of the song Yellow Moon, I can't describe why, it's moody too. I just had this Lanegan song stuck in my head the whole time while Yellow Moon played, I guess that there might be a similar melody.

Oh boy, bring on october!!
  • Options
    wolkenlos wrote:
    Benz, that was your vinyl? Haha...we saw that and wanted to steal it, but then it was gone suddenly!

I couldn't agree more with Martin, that's definitely how I felt too. Well, except that I thought from the start that I might like this album better than Backspacer :lol:

Sirens & Getaway are very catchy. At least those are the 2 songs that are stuck in my head today. It's funny, yesterday I couldn't remember the melodies anymore but this morning they were back in my head. Chris could play a few chords of sirens on guitar, he might make a little video clip today :D

And it is really sooo hard, because now that I know the songs I want to listen to them even more, but it's only 38 days if I counted correctly.

The London soundcheck is Infallible, we recognized it straight away today, there is a special melody at the end of the verses or something like that that Chris wrote down & the rhythm is really quite unique to the other songs on the record.

Pendulum might also be one of my favorites, as is Sirens. I want to hear those damn songs again!!! Hopefully they'll leak soon :D
    I wrote that Bleeding Muddy Water by Lanegan reminded me of the song Yellow Moon, I can't describe why, it's moody too. I just had this Lanegan song stuck in my head the whole time while Yellow Moon played, I guess that there might be a similar melody.

you did fantastic job Franz!!thank you
  • Options
    and tonight is Amsterdam turn!!!lets wait their review!! :P
  • Options
    BenzBenz Posts: 117
    wolkenlos wrote:

Oh yeah it`s brutal - not sure if it would not have been better to not hear anything before the release. Now i want to hear it again so badly! Would be so nice if at least some bird would tell me where to find this soundcheck :-)
  • Options
    wolkenloswolkenlos Posts: 591
    edited September 2013
    chirp chirp... I saw a birdy drop you something.
    Post edited by wolkenlos on
  • Options
    Dennis and Mirella photos!!!

dxc5.jpg

jbcn.jpg

lern.jpg
  • Options
    I love the backstage passes. We probably had the punky atmosphere with the wristbands and they got a slick label meeting with all veryyy important people. *cough*
    :lol:
  • Options
    Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    I'm loving all these comments. Because to me, mid tempo, different, darker, stranger, harder to grasp songs on first listen are EXACTLY what I want. As a huge supporter of Riot Act, Binaural, No Code, etc... I tend to love the weird and different stuff. Backspacer is great of course, it's PJ, but there's not too many layers to it. Love it right away but as time goes on it doesn't remain as powerful or special as those other records. Still love it. Anyways, this new album seems to have those growing qualities and everyone likes different songs which means DIVERSITY. I am fucking excited! 8-)

I can't wait!!!!!!! :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • Options
    wolkenlos wrote:
    I love the backstage passes. We probably had the punky atmosphere with the wristbands and they got a slick label meeting with all veryyy important people. *cough*
  • Options
    High Fidelity 2000High Fidelity 2000 New Mexico USA Posts: 4,435
    I haven't gotten to read every page... but which song was the one that was played on the tour announcement video??
    ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

New Mexico Pearl Jam Fans (New Mexico, USA) on Facebook!
  • Options
    pdalowsky wrote:

a previous studio clip showed the band in a song with hand claps that seemed really interesting, any sign of that?

anyone?
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    pdalowsky wrote:
    pdalowsky wrote:

anyone?
    I have a feeling it's SBM, as that song has a 'country' sound according to some folks who have heard it.

Just a guess though.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK1njeQdAVk this one?
    We think it could possibly be a background track for Pendulum, but not really sure, just the first part. The clapping is just from a bootleg or not?
    It's definitely not on any song of Lightning Bolt.
  • Options
    clapping was shown on a recent studio video snippet, I forget the source - hmmmmm
  • Options
    ohh, this really short one that only lasted a few seconds, before the countdown brought us MYM??
    I'm going to search for that one.

EDIT:
    hmm...it's not in their youtube account. don't know what happened.
  • Options
    and tonight is Amsterdam turn!!!lets wait their review!! :P

I didn't know there was another listening session! How long before this one takes place?
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford