Options

Big Day Out 2014– Aust&NZ– Pre-partys, Travel Info&Roll Call

Comments

• Options
    morellomorello Auckland, New Zealand Posts: 6,210
    edited January 2014
    Primal said:

Along with Kiwi Jammer I'm not going to be making it to Auckland till 9 (I wonder if we're on the same flight) - will the pre-party still be going then?

Yeah, probably! Joe's playing from 9 I think. Not like we've got an early start the next morning, GA queuing PJ tour style!! B-)
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011
  • Options
    doomponydoompony Wellington, NZ Posts: 4,497

I'm getting everything ready for my trip to Auckland now, I'm even completely re-doing my hair for BDO, so if you see a girl with
    pink, green and blue hair, its ME. I've found it makes meeting new people at concerts easy, you cant miss me!

Ha. I'm dying mine this weekend but only to cover the sneaky greys. Old lady life.
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    goldrush said:

Melbourne:

All that empty space! I would have totally slotted in lesser known bands between the big acts, especially at the Blue Stage. I don't know who Steve Angello is, but would someone really make the decision to miss Pearl Jam or the Deftones (or Major Lazer, whoever they are) to see him?
  • Options
    redrawredraw Posts: 1,275
    The Orange & Blue stages are side by side so there is no empty space Suzie - the band's come on straight after each other
    '95: Brisbane BEC March 21 & 22 '98: Brisbane BEC March 14 & 15 '03: Brad Surfers Paradise Troccadero Jan 11
    '03: Brisbane BEC Feb 8 '06: Brisbane BEC Nov 10 & 11 '09: Brisbane QSAC Nov 25
    '11: EV Solo Brisbane QPAC March 10, 12 & 13 '11: PJ20 Alpine Valley Sep 3 & 4
    '14: Gold Coast BDO Jan 19 EV Solo QPAC Feb 22, 23 & 25
  • Options
    DonJonDonJon Posts: 5,089
    Serious last minute change of plans for me.....due to BDO factor, old age, work. Going to Thailand for a week instead.

Auckland is out now. Cancelled Surrey hotel and 4 day road trip
    Adelaide a definite but pretty much fly in and out....also cancelled Barossa road trip.
    Sydney now in (plus backstage....whoooo). Think we going stay at Novotel out there for $60000 a night just so I don't have to battle crowds home.

Still cant get anywhere near as excited as previous tours!

Oh and Ed SOH solo.

I'll ride the wave where it takes me.
  • Options
    DonJonDonJon Posts: 5,089
    BTW....morello or Lisa.

Is Joe the fella that played in Auckland city bar after 2009 gig? Awesome sing-alongs!?!? Top night if so...from the bits I remember hahaha
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me.
  • Options
    Yep that was Joe Walsh. Superstar.
  • Options
    Noel BNoel B Posts: 73
    doom_pony said:

I'm getting everything ready for my trip to Auckland now, I'm even completely re-doing my hair for BDO, so if you see a girl with
    pink, green and blue hair, its ME. I've found it makes meeting new people at concerts easy, you cant miss me!

Ha. I'm dying mine this weekend but only to cover the sneaky greys. Old lady life.
    I am dyeing my hair deep purple. So if you see a 54 year old man at Sydney BDO with purple hair , that's me.
    Newcastle 19 11 2006 Sydney 22 11 2009 Eddie Vedder March 16 2011 Civic Theatre Newcastle Australia Eddie Vedder Perth 2011x2. I will stare the sundown until my eyes go blind, hey I wont change direction and I wont change my mind.
  • Options
    Princess BulldozerPrincess Bulldozer Mannheim, Germany Posts: 952
    Suziemay said:

goldrush said:

Melbourne:

All that empty space! I would have totally slotted in lesser known bands between the big acts, especially at the Blue Stage. I don't know who Steve Angello is, but would someone really make the decision to miss Pearl Jam or the Deftones (or Major Lazer, whoever they are) to see him?
    Boiler room is the DJ/dance/house etc stage. Lots of people just hang out there as that's their type of music.

Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure - science.
    ~Edwin Powell Hubble

Men love to wonder, and that is the seed of science.
    ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • Options
    Princess BulldozerPrincess Bulldozer Mannheim, Germany Posts: 952

is there a group of 10c peeps meeting up at the gold coast venue and sticking together? or will this be planned at the pre party?

Also any suggestions about getting there from brissy im considering driving but am unsure about the parking set up, i assume public transport will be running back to bris after bdo finishes?

No plans yet. Maybe ask on pre party event page on FB.
    :)
    Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure - science.
    ~Edwin Powell Hubble

Men love to wonder, and that is the seed of science.
    ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • Options
    morellomorello Auckland, New Zealand Posts: 6,210
    edited January 2014
    woops. mis-post. can't delete.
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011
  • Options
    Hawk JamHawk Jam Melbourne, Australia Posts: 121
    Good to see the timetable out, now to make sense of the map! What the heck are tokens for, rides? Who goes to this for rides??????
  • Options
    idiots. rubes.
  • Options
    smunnosmunno Posts: 46
    Suziemay said:

goldrush said:

Melbourne:

The orange and the blue stages are side-by-side. One band plays on one while they set the other up for the next one. So there's no space. Just band after band on the two stages.
  • Options
    smunnosmunno Posts: 46
    Hawk Jam said:

Good to see the timetable out, now to make sense of the map! What the heck are tokens for, rides? Who goes to this for rides??????

Tokens are for beer. Buy tokens, redeem them for beer. Saves time at the beer line.
  • Options
    bazzerbazzer Posts: 3,090
    edited January 2014
    The only unknown for me is how the D barrier will be different this time. Otherwise I assume it'll be the same as every other year. If you don't get into the D before the late afternoon, it will be very hard to get in later.

I was intending to hit the D at Primus at the latest. Judging by the rest of the lineups I will probably just go there all day I suppose. I don't need to be right on the barrier to have a good time. 2nd-3rd "row" is OK for me. I assume some people will be there all day.

I don't see how a PJ group at the front can work. You jsut end up being douchey to the rest of the crowd and some people will make a big deal out of it. Usually the bulk of the crowd switches fom side to side anyway (with the stage that is currently in use) so shouldn't be too bad. I'd like to watch th Hives and Arcade Fire from in front, but seen them both before, so I'd rather stay in front of PJ for a spot.

Sun could be a factor, but if you're close enough to the front, could be some shade from the stages. Also, merch, not sure what to do about that?
  • Options
    Hawk JamHawk Jam Melbourne, Australia Posts: 121
    Good views Bazzer. This shit is making me nervous, maybe I need to get there (Melbourne) when the gates open, grab merchandise, some tokens for beers and go back and forth between PJ's stage and the beer tent. Wouldn't mind seeing Mudhoney too so will see how the crowd is building around the PJ stage early afternoon
  • Options
    Cheers Bazzer, dumb question but I'll ask anyway - once the D barrier fills up late arvo you can't go out and get back in can ya,, the ole loo issue!
  • Options
    You can get out but in previous years once it's full they don't let anyone else in. The D barrier has ruined many a BDO for me. I really don't wanna have to be there all day.

I don't think anyone meant the PJ group would be an unstoppable force. I visualised a happy home base/group of people who you could enjoy with.. not exclude others.
  • Options
    It would be really helpful if the BDO people would just tell us now how the stupid barrier works. So dumb if we only find out on the day.
  • Options
    Actually, I guess this answers that..

Am I guaranteed to see every band?

Please note there are restricted capacities at some Stages and other tented structures. Once the maximum capacity is reached in these areas there will be no further admissions. Your purchase of an event ticket does not guarantee admission to these areas in such cases.
  • Options
    I guess getting there mid afternoon is the sensible thing to do.
  • Options
    bazzer said:

Also, merch, not sure what to do about that?

Only possible because how stink am I offering her services, but my friend coming with me is 5 months pregnant and won't be coming into the D so has dubbed herself the bag lady.

• Options
    edited January 2014
    the thing that puzzles me is that i thought it had been strongly implied by campbell smith that there wasn't going to be a D barrier and that the barrier system was the PJ one... which personally i think is way better than the D. If the D is there for safety - easy accessibility to anyone in trouble - SURELY the pj barrier system is even safer. it limits how many people can get to the front, but it allows escape from the side, through the middle, at the back.

hopefully the D in the fly over is just.. a prototype.
    Post edited by doompony on
  • Options
    ok. i guess i made up the part about the PJ barrier. this is what he actually said (and hey, look who asked the question!)

So excited about Pearl Jam headlining!! Will the D barrier be back this time or will it be like it was at the last Auckland BDO?
    by lostrocker815 August 1, 2013 at 2:45 PM

barriers yes, but of a different kind you aint seen yet. punter friendly. PJ are big on punter safety. so are we.. ok, i'm out. goodbye, buy tickets, see you all on jan 17 2014. i'll be the one driving the TQ midget. its a speedway after all.....
  • Options
    Noel BNoel B Posts: 73
    doom_pony said:

ok. i guess i made up the part about the PJ barrier. this is what he actually said (and hey, look who asked the question!)

So excited about Pearl Jam headlining!! Will the D barrier be back this time or will it be like it was at the last Auckland BDO?

barriers yes, but of a different kind you aint seen yet. punter friendly. PJ are big on punter safety. so are we.. ok, i'm out. goodbye, buy tickets, see you all on jan 17 2014. i'll be the one driving the TQ midget. its a speedway after all.....

My uncle drove a TQ back in the sixties , at the local speedway. All they raced back then were TQ,s , Sliders and Sidecars. Those were the days.
    Newcastle 19 11 2006 Sydney 22 11 2009 Eddie Vedder March 16 2011 Civic Theatre Newcastle Australia Eddie Vedder Perth 2011x2. I will stare the sundown until my eyes go blind, hey I wont change direction and I wont change my mind.
  • Options
    bazzerbazzer Posts: 3,090
    Seems a lot of the earlier comments were "indicative" in nature. We'll probably just have to see how things go on the day. The D is not so bad, as long as you are inside it. It's really just to stop more and more people trying to squeeze into a small area for a short time. PJ's barrier wasn't that great (as shown by the mutliple reminders from Ed in Auckland 09) and with a BDO crowd it could be worse there.

Is it true the D last year had a barrier down the middle? That would work in our favour because you wouldn't get that sideways push you get between bands usually. People on the Arcade FIre side would have to exit and reenter.
  • Options
    doom_pony said:

See, I was obsessing about it even back then! haha
    Pearl Jam Pearl Jam Pearl Jam!

I'm looking to buy a single ticket to Ed's Sydney Opera House show, PM me if you've got a spare! I don't care where the seat is! :D
  • Options
    unforgivenunforgiven Posts: 378
    edited January 2014
    I've never found the D barrier to be much of a problem. I usually just hang out near it until the lights change to green, which means they are letting people in, and then move through. When I saw Soundgarden at a few BDO shows they played in2012 I went in a couple of hour before they started, and as people leaved to watch the other stage or left the area completely after their band finished moved closer to the stage. By the time My Chemical Romance finished (man I hate them) I was lifting all their fans over the front barrier and claiming my spot on the rail dead centre in front of Chris Cornell.
    Post edited by unforgiven on
  • Options
    good point chris.. but the problem with pj's security barrier was they were letting people from the backspacer field into the fixer area... it wouldn't have been so bad (on stone's side) if that hadn't been happening. apparently they weren't even checking tickets.