My Chicago Diary

Comments

• SnakeduckSnakeduck Posts: 1,056
    chadwick wrote:
    good on you all for being nice :mrgreen:

I don't understand how they all do it. Thankfully, in Missoula, I was never introduced to anyone that I'd like to slap silly. Not sure how I would have reacted otherwise. And its funny because I get paid a good government salary to teach and practice tolerance. I also get paid to fire the intolerant and that is where my dilema lies. I have no patience for xenophobia, outright racism, sexism, or enviromental abuse or a myriad of other things and I refuse to look the other way because someone might listen to the same band as me.

If you are an asshole in this message pit, you are an asshole in real life... at least to me and I will treat you accordingly. So again, I find myself wondering how y'all do it...
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    Snakeduck wrote:

If you are an asshole in this message pit, you are an asshole in real life... at least to me and I will treat you accordingly. So again, I find myself wondering how y'all do it...

and people wonder why I want to punch some people in the fudd...
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • SnakeduckSnakeduck Posts: 1,056
    RKCNDY wrote:
    Snakeduck wrote:

and people wonder why I want to punch some people in the fudd...

Some folks are just begging for a good fudd punch...
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    Snakeduck wrote:
    chadwick wrote:
    good on you all for being nice :mrgreen:

I don't understand how they all do it. Thankfully, in Missoula, I was never introduced to anyone that I'd like to slap silly. Not sure how I would have reacted otherwise. And its funny because I get paid a good government salary to teach and practice tolerance. I also get paid to fire the intolerant and that is where my dilema lies. I have no patience for xenophobia, outright racism, sexism, or enviromental abuse or a myriad of other things and I refuse to look the other way because someone might listen to the same band as me.

i endorse this
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 Posts: 23,082
    I'll never forget the hot dog! :)
    as garth algar would say....

"that's what SHE said..."

:lol:

sorry, couldn't resist.

carry on :)
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    Dear Unlost...I hope you don't mind if I piggyback on your thread but I'd like to recant my weekend here as well. Let me first start by saying this was one of the BEST weekends of my life! Here goes:

Wednesday:
    Come home from work to Rick and Erika waiting patiently for me after their long drive from the show the night before. Seriously the best people ever! They got me a shirt from the night before and went for the heartstrings by bringing a bottle of Jameson. Erika proceeds to cook us one of the most delicious dinners I've ever had! Cue JTH, Speedy, and QuarterToTen making their way out and a long night of boozing and singing at the top of our lungs. After polishing off the Jamo and all the beers in Speedy's cooler (which DID make it home with him this time), I traipse over to 7-11 at like 1am for a bottle of Jager. Fun continues. My neighbors hate me :lol:

Thursday:
    Spend a day recuperating with Rick and Erika, then head to Giordano's for some tasty deep dish pizza. Have a couple drinks because that's how we roll. Then made my way to Sluggers where I finally get to meet some of you amazing people! Unlost, CBG, Leeze & Cav, Eeriepadave, Dman...super cool peeps!! CBG is insanely tiny!! Also great seeing Cubbee, kw, afroannie, Becky, and Freddy. Becky drags me and Freddy onto the dance floor where we run into our friends from Berlin (hope you guys had a safe trip home!), and we drag davidtrios out on the floor. Spend the rest of the night dancing and screaming PJ at the top of our lungs. Get back to Becky's, meet Horos!! Super cool guy :D

Friday:
    Horos waits patiently as Cubbee and I get ready for the big day. Get to the Shilling promptly at noon where Unlost, Dman, and the real Frank are waiting for us. Get Frank cooled off as he's been waiting outside Wrigley since 4am for GA. (Dude you are a beast and I love you dearly!) Walk inside...get a bloody...and the party begins! I did put cameras around the bar...not sure how many got used..I'll have to pick those up soon. I met SO many amazing people at the party. To everyone who came out...thank you!! You are all incredible and amazing people! Jbarbian..you are a legend doll! PJ_Soul, Guacamole Joe, DougFloyd, pjscreamer, kimmie, super cool meeting you all! Couldn't wait to meet Gimmesometruth after all Speedy's stories, and he was there to witness when I finally got to meet my Halfpint!! I squawked like never before! MCA bought me the beer he owed me, and all was well with the world. The show..well we all know how amazing that was. To me it was super special seeing it with one of my dearest friends, Cubbee, as we cried and laughed and hugged and rocked out all night! Afterwards spent about an hour waiting for a cab with Cubbee and DS, ran into Gimme & Bill and Freddy. What a night!

Saturday:
    Get text from Speedy: "Booze". And here we go again! Proceed to spend God knows how many hours in this awesome bowling alley bar in Logan Square with the die-hards. Matched Speedy shot for shot and headed over to Giordano's again for more pizza. Head over to Speedy's regular hangout, take over the juker, and sing and dance like there's no tomorrow. Learn how to say Woostah! Say sad goodbyes to Unlost and Dman. Then we head to a 5am bar where myself, Gimme, and DS proceed to party like rockstars until the sun came up. Convinced people in the bar that DS and I are twin brother and sister (Well...what do you expect from a Halfpint and Fullpint?!) Decided sleep was completely unnecessary.

All in all completely amazing times were had. This weekend was about so much more than the concert, and thank you all for being so wonderful...I really feel like I made some lifelong-friendships this weekend. There are many of you that I didn't get to meet and I'm bummed about that, and many of you that I wish I could have spent more time with. But I wouldn't change a thing about it at all. Until next time :D
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • morellomorello Posts: 6,212
    ^^^ Wow! :D So cool it sounds like the weekend was as fab as it should've been. Yay all of you guys & I can't wait to party with ppl in Nov/Dec. :)
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011
    morello wrote:
    ^^^ Wow! :D So cool it sounds like the weekend was as fab as it should've been. Yay all of you guys & I can't wait to party with ppl in Nov/Dec. :)
    We missed you sweetie...hope to see you when you make it across the pond!!!
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
    yeah mamasan, that was weird that we kept running into each other. there were a few thousand people outside the stadium and i turned around and you were there. totally random. at least you did not have to take a stupid bicycle rickshaw and get dropped off a mile from where you needed to be because the guy said his shift was over...

yeah mamasan, that was weird that we kept running into each other. there were a few thousand people outside the stadium and i turned around and you were there. totally random. at least you did not have to take a stupid bicycle rickshaw and get dropped off a mile from where you needed to be because the guy said his shift was over...

Maybe I was following you :shifty:
    Mamasan23 wrote:

Maybe I was following you :shifty:
    perhaps.

weren't most of the ladies??

• JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    Mamasan, so is your liver in a bucket on ice somewhere? :lol: Or did it get a headstone? I can see it now:

"This poor old liver worked hard and died early. ????-2013. Thanks Eddie."

Great stories though! :D
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
    Mamasan, so is your liver in a bucket on ice somewhere? :lol: Or did it get a headstone? I can see it now:

:lol::lol:

i know mine was sore for a day.

is that bad?

:problem:

at least it didn't fall out...

:lol::lol:

i know mine was sore for a day.

is that bad?

:problem:

at least it didn't fall out...

:lol: Yeah, but you're a musician buddy.. its in your blood! :P
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
    you are a musician AND a writer. you gotta be an amazing drinker to be both!!

:P

you are a musician AND a writer. you gotta be an amazing drinker to be both!!

:P

Please dont remind me :lol: I just saw it is national tequila day :fp: Or maybe it isnt, but all I need is a stupid excuse. :lol:
    Please dont remind me :lol: I just saw it is national tequila day :fp: Or maybe it isnt, but all I need is a stupid excuse. :lol:
    tequila day is good. i don't think that necessarily warrants the facepalm.

now if it was national jagermeister day, then that would get a HUGE :fp:

tequila day is good. i don't think that necessarily warrants the facepalm.

now if it was national jagermeister day, then that would get a HUGE :fp:

Agreed. Jaeger is poison. And yes, I might have misused the :fp: when given that perspective! :lol:
    Agreed. Jaeger is poison. And yes, I might have misused the :fp: when given that perspective! :lol:
    is there an emoticon for the "gasface"? jager day would get the gasface...

see 3rd Bass...

see 3rd Bass...

as close as we're gonna get: :sick:

see 3rd Bass...

as close as we're gonna get: :sick:
    that is exactly how i looked on saturday morning after the show...

• xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Posts: 9,222
    Didn't get a chance to do speedy palooza this time but I had a good time after arriving in Chicago at 7AM on Thursday. Besides the show, I went to the Sears Tower,the Navy Pier, Greektown, a White Sox game, Lincoln Park, the Lincoln Park zoo, the Lakefront trail and used the hell out of the two CTA three-day passes I bought.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • kw18kw18 Posts: 3,909
    Didn't get a chance to do speedy palooza this time but I had a good time after arriving in Chicago at 7AM on Thursday. Besides the show, I went to the Sears Tower,the Navy Pier, Greektown, a White Sox game, Lincoln Park, the Lincoln Park zoo, the Lakefront trail and used the hell out of the two CTA three-day passes I bought.

Wow! Got a lot done in one weekend. I lived there for nearly 15 years and don't think I ever did all that. :lol:

Did you step out onto the ledge at the Sears tower?
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    :fp:

I never did get to see Chicago other than Wrigleyville (mainly the inside of the Full Shilling and Wrigley field)

was just too stinking hot
    kw18 wrote:

Wow! Got a lot done in one weekend. I lived there for nearly 15 years and don't think I ever did all that. :lol:

I actually did, though the pictures didn't come out so hot. Also helping is that I booked 8 pm flight out of Midway so that way I can have a lot of time Monday to do stuff.
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    kw18 wrote:

I actually did, though the pictures didn't come out so hot. Also helping is that I booked 8 pm flight out of Midway so that way I can have a lot of time Monday to do stuff.

Nice! It's definitely a city that deserves time. 8-)

I'm absolutely terrified of heights, but I had to go up there for my niece's Flat Stanley project. The guy taking my photo made my lie down on the glass. :shock: Most harrowing 20 seconds of my life ...
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
    Plus the last time I went on a low visibility day so I had to make up for it, especially when I stumbled on walking around the Union Station area. I also took the red line to the end on the Northside out of curiosity after hanging out for the PJ soundcheck.
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,889
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    Dear Unlost...I hope you don't mind if I piggyback on your thread but I'd like to recant my weekend here as well. Let me first start by saying this was one of the BEST weekends of my life! Here goes:

Wednesday:
    Come home from work to Rick and Erika waiting patiently for me after their long drive from the show the night before. Seriously the best people ever! They got me a shirt from the night before and went for the heartstrings by bringing a bottle of Jameson. Erika proceeds to cook us one of the most delicious dinners I've ever had! Cue JTH, Speedy, and QuarterToTen making their way out and a long night of boozing and singing at the top of our lungs. After polishing off the Jamo and all the beers in Speedy's cooler (which DID make it home with him this time), I traipse over to 7-11 at like 1am for a bottle of Jager. Fun continues. My neighbors hate me :lol:

Thursday:
    Spend a day recuperating with Rick and Erika, then head to Giordano's for some tasty deep dish pizza. Have a couple drinks because that's how we roll. Then made my way to Sluggers where I finally get to meet some of you amazing people! Unlost, CBG, Leeze & Cav, Eeriepadave, Dman...super cool peeps!! CBG is insanely tiny!! Also great seeing Cubbee, kw, afroannie, Becky, and Freddy. Becky drags me and Freddy onto the dance floor where we run into our friends from Berlin (hope you guys had a safe trip home!), and we drag davidtrios out on the floor. Spend the rest of the night dancing and screaming PJ at the top of our lungs. Get back to Becky's, meet Horos!! Super cool guy :D

Friday:
    Horos waits patiently as Cubbee and I get ready for the big day. Get to the Shilling promptly at noon where Unlost, Dman, and the real Frank are waiting for us. Get Frank cooled off as he's been waiting outside Wrigley since 4am for GA. (Dude you are a beast and I love you dearly!) Walk inside...get a bloody...and the party begins! I did put cameras around the bar...not sure how many got used..I'll have to pick those up soon. I met SO many amazing people at the party. To everyone who came out...thank you!! You are all incredible and amazing people! Jbarbian..you are a legend doll! PJ_Soul, Guacamole Joe, DougFloyd, pjscreamer, kimmie, super cool meeting you all! Couldn't wait to meet Gimmesometruth after all Speedy's stories, and he was there to witness when I finally got to meet my Halfpint!! I squawked like never before! MCA bought me the beer he owed me, and all was well with the world. The show..well we all know how amazing that was. To me it was super special seeing it with one of my dearest friends, Cubbee, as we cried and laughed and hugged and rocked out all night! Afterwards spent about an hour waiting for a cab with Cubbee and DS, ran into Gimme & Bill and Freddy. What a night!

Saturday:
    Get text from Speedy: "Booze". And here we go again! Proceed to spend God knows how many hours in this awesome bowling alley bar in Logan Square with the die-hards. Matched Speedy shot for shot and headed over to Giordano's again for more pizza. Head over to Speedy's regular hangout, take over the juker, and sing and dance like there's no tomorrow. Learn how to say Woostah! Say sad goodbyes to Unlost and Dman. Then we head to a 5am bar where myself, Gimme, and DS proceed to party like rockstars until the sun came up. Convinced people in the bar that DS and I are twin brother and sister (Well...what do you expect from a Halfpint and Fullpint?!) Decided sleep was completely unnecessary.

All in all completely amazing times were had. This weekend was about so much more than the concert, and thank you all for being so wonderful...I really feel like I made some lifelong-friendships this weekend. There are many of you that I didn't get to meet and I'm bummed about that, and many of you that I wish I could have spent more time with. But I wouldn't change a thing about it at all. Until next time :D
    It really was amazing meeting you and everyone! I think at one point I spontaneously yelled "this is just so fuckin' fun!!!!" It's one thing to know folks here, but to put the names to the faces and the personalities is so satisfying! And seeing those I'd already met before was great too of course. Shannon, you really did squak when DS came in! :lol: I never took that term literally, but it's really true! :lol:

I should apologize to all for becoming obsessed with the temperature at that party... I don't normally do that, but i seriously couldn't help it! At one point I actually swooned! But still, it was all good... Super memorable time.

Speaking of talented hugging, Gimmesometruth27 gave me a damned good one. :lol:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,889
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    :fp:

I never did get to see Chicago other than Wrigleyville (mainly the inside of the Full Shilling and Wrigley field)

was just too stinking hot
    It definitely wasn't easy. Simply going and wandering around the city just wasn't an option in that weather. I spent a LOT of money on cabs. I did see wrigleyville, Navy Pier (not a fan, but beautiful views), and Northerly Island/soldier field, the mag mile, millennium park, grant park... So not bad. And I ended up spending hours longer than expected in the Art Institute of Chicago. I really loved it! Picasso, Dali, Monet, Manet, Renoir, and on and on and on, plus so much I'd never seen or heard of before that had me just mesmerized.... My fave sections were definitely the 19th C American and the European modernists. Ancient Rome and Greece were cool too.... Unfortunately, there was an area closed for Renos, so I missed some stuff I really wanted to see in there, and other places i wanted to go but just was stopped by the weather....I guess I'll have to go back! :)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    It really was amazing meeting you and everyone! I think at one point I spontaneously yelled "this is just so fuckin' fun!!!!" It's one thing to know folks here, but to put the names to the faces and the personalities is so satisfying! And seeing those I'd already met before was great too of course. Shannon, you really did squak when DS came in! :lol: I never took that term literally, but it's really true! :lol:

I should apologize to all for becoming obsessed with the temperature at that party... I don't normally do that, but i seriously couldn't help it! At one point I actually swooned! But still, it was all good... Super memorable time.

Speaking of talented hugging, Gimmesometruth27 gave me a damned good one. :lol:

I regularly swoon. It's good exercise.
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."