My Chicago Diary

Comments

• RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    :lol::lol::lol:

Those giant-headed people should have to pay for extra head space.
    Meanwhile I'm waiting for my refund on the extra leg room I didn't need in my economy seat on the discount airline :oops: *waits patiently*

I was just glad you didn't get any 'extra incidentels' on your pillow...or in your bed this time around!
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    now i want an accordion intro on baba the next time i see them
  • comebackgirlcomebackgirl Posts: 9,885
    RKCNDY wrote:

Meanwhile I'm waiting for my refund on the extra leg room I didn't need in my economy seat on the discount airline :oops: *waits patiently*

I was just glad you didn't get any 'extra incidentels' on your pillow...or in your bed this time around!

We had a different booking agent this time :fp: :lol:

Did unlost tell you about how I waved wildly to a picture of you while yelling "Hi Lisa!!! We miss you!!!" (I thought you were on FaceTime) :oops: I wasn't even drunk...yet :fp: :oops: :lol:
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,665
    In my defense, Spirit Airlines is very cramped with a narrow aisle. And those people and their big giant heads were in my way, sort of.
    You were on the same flight as Big Head Todd and the Monsters?
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    Poncier wrote:
    In my defense, Spirit Airlines is very cramped with a narrow aisle. And those people and their big giant heads were in my way, sort of.
    You were on the same flight as Big Head Todd and the Monsters?

just todd...the monsters are afraid to fly
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,914
    At one point I was wearing a Cubs flag as a cape. It made my Red Sox tattoo tingle.

:nono: total fraud
    And when Eddie picked up the accordion for "Bugs," the guy yelled "This is it! He's gonna play 'Baba O'Riley!'" Because, you know, they always do an accordion intro for "Baba O'Riley."

there's always some dumbfuck like that

Thing I learned about the Chicago 10 Clubbers: My God those people can put away alcohol. And they can still walk and talk and reason.

kinda me me, huh? ;)

I have to go now. My liver wants a word.

If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    Ahhhhh Rob... we missed you! :)

Many favorite lines over the course of the weekend. One was when Dissidentman, Speedy and Gimmiesometruth were lining up for a photo and someone said "Speedy in the middle!" and Dissidentman didn't miss a beat: "I've had this dream."

15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • dougfloyddougfloyd Posts: 2,580
    Watching The Pit open up again, and people running exactly like the fast zombies in World War Z. I thought they were going to start piling on each other and climb up the scaffolding like the WWZ zombies did at the wall around Jerusalem. (They didn't, which was a little disappointing.)

OMG, that is such a perfect description :lol: I think my wife is still having nightmares from that movie.

You should change your username to the backpack assassin.
    1998 - Noblesville
    2000 - Noblesville
    2010 - Noblesville
    2011 - EV solo St Louis, PJ20 Alpine Valley
    2012 - San Fran (Oracle)
    2013 - Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincy, St Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Lexington, Wrigley
    2018 - Wrigley
    2022 - Nashville, St Louis
    2024 - Noblesville, Wrigley
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    I was in Chicago this weekend?
    afroannnie wrote:
    afroannnie wrote:

Are you coming up the east coast for any shows or heading to Seattle?

I wish I could, but October and November are looking to be lousy months for me. I may try last minute for an east coast show if the planets can get themselves in alignment. :)

If this happens I'd recommend Woostah! I think that's going to be a good one..album release day..and I think D-man may have a crush on you, and he'll be there :D Kw & I will be at the brooklyn & bmore shows too...so if you get to one of those, drop us a line :D

For the love of god afro, I told you that in confidence!

Guess I was in Chicago.
    RKCNDY wrote:
    Poncier wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:
    wow...Mr. Unlost won't let you near a thread and needle either? :?
    He's a smart man.

is there anything else I need to keep away from her when she stays with me in December? :?

So far I have:

*toasters
    *ovens
    *Fire trucks
    *smoke alarms
    *needle & thread
    *Italian restaurants with complimentary guests

Please add gift shops, things that are shiny, and clowns.
    RKCNDY wrote:

I remember that! But not in the way you're all thinking...
    RKCNDY wrote:

• Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Posts: 14,352

I agree with gimmesometruth, meeting all of you made these days extra special!
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,777
    dougfloyd wrote:
    Watching The Pit open up again, and people running exactly like the fast zombies in World War Z. I thought they were going to start piling on each other and climb up the scaffolding like the WWZ zombies did at the wall around Jerusalem. (They didn't, which was a little disappointing.)

OMG, that is such a perfect description :lol: I think my wife is still having nightmares from that movie.

i missed that. we were still in the concourse waiting to get back by the time that happened. Still got to about the same spot we were before.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • hgpjam11hgpjam11 Posts: 1,328
    hgpjam11 wrote:
    :lol::lol: What a great story... especially the backpack assassin.
    I hate that I missed this one, but hopefully Seattle will be as much fun!

I will be there, my friend.

With my backpack.

8-)

(right now I'm making martial arts movie sounds, just like Bruce Lee)

Yay! But warn me if we end up on the same flight. :)
    I win.
  • I'm a TruckI'm a Truck Posts: 3,508
    Thursday 7/18/13:

Dissidentman shows up at my house at 11. Meets Mr. Unlost for the first time as Mr. Unlost is sewing a PJ20 patch on my backpack for me. I offer Dman soda, juice, coffee. He replies, "How about a beer?" And we were off.

Beers at Logan Airport in Boston while waiting to board the flight (which made us among the last to board). Hoisted the new backpack onto my shoulders, walked onto the plane, turned to say something to Dissidentman and hit a seated passenger with the pack. Spun around to say "I'm sorry," and hit the seated passenger on the opposite side of the aisle. Dissolve into giggles, try to turn around and say to Dissidentman, "Did you see that?" and and proceeded to clunk it off the head of every aisle seat passenger in rows 3-18, laughing maniacally. Dissidentman finally grabbed me from behind, said "Stop! Just stop!" and took it off my shoulders and put it in the overhead bin. I'm crying now, I'm laughing so hard. Collapse into my seat. Guy in the row in front of me says, "I'm glad I'm getting off before you, you're an assassin with that thing."

More beers on the plane. More beers at O'Hare. We take the CTA Blue Line to Wrigleyville, which requires a bus transfer. We get on the wrong bus, and head back to O'Hare. Eventually we realize what's happening and get on the right bus.

Hotel great. Walk to the pre-preparty at Sluggers. It's time for another beer, so we hit a bar that smelled, as Dman remarked, like gerbils. (It really did.) But it was cool.

In the street: Saw Dimi. Saw Leeze & Cavstarr. Saw afroannnie and KW18. Dancing around like a kid on Christmas morning. From there on, it was EVERYBODY. Wow.

Back to the room around 2ish.

Friday 7/19/13:

A few hours of sleep. Find a great diner. Eat pancakes. Pancakes not made by Speedy McCready, who promised me pancakes two years ago at Alpine and I STILL HAVEN'T SEEN THOSE PANCAKES, SPEEDY.

Party at The Full Shilling. Mamasan23 is the first one in the door when they unlock it at noon. I'm on her heels, with Dissidentman right behind me. Party. Party some more. Party more than that. At one point I was wearing a Cubs flag as a cape. It made my Red Sox tattoo tingle.

Then: The show. Can't express. My favorite: "Hold On." Rain delay. More delay. More delay. Spent the time making new friends in our section. Don't regret it a bit. Eddie said they'd be back, and they were. Watching The Pit open up again, and people running exactly like the fast zombies in World War Z. I thought they were going to start piling on each other and climb up the scaffolding like the WWZ zombies did at the wall around Jerusalem. (They didn't, which was a little disappointing.)

Songs, songs, more songs. Eddie's face, such unbridled joy. Stone laughing. Mike melting faces. Matt driving it along. Jeff a madman on bass. Just amazing.

Chloe Dancer/Crown of Thorns: Guy behind me pees and splashes my bare leg. Same guy and his doofus friend spent the show yelling "LOVE BOAT CAPTAIN!" and "BABA O'RILEY!" And when Eddie picked up the accordion for "Bugs," the guy yelled "This is it! He's gonna play 'Baba O'Riley!'" Because, you know, they always do an accordion intro for "Baba O'Riley."

Post show French toast at most excellent diner. Go to bed as the sun is rising.

Saturday 7/20:

Speedy picks us up at 11 for his special tour of Chicago. We spend the next 14 hours drinking, eating, drinking and drinking. I finally get to meet He Who Must Not Be Named, which was pretty cool.

Chicago deep dish pizza: Words fail me. So freaking great. (But I still want to expose my Chicago friends to a thin slice to die for, from Santarpio's in East Boston.)

Thing I learned about the Chicago 10 Clubbers: My God those people can put away alcohol. And they can still walk and talk and reason. I am in awe. And there's nobody better to spend time with at a bar that has 148 Pearl Jam songs on the jukebox.

Sunday 7/21:

Diner again. Pancakes. Such good pancakes.

Dissidentman and I decide we don't need no stinkin' bus, we can walk to the Blue Line from North Clark and Diversey. It was only two inches on the CTA map on my iPad.

Alas, two inches proved to be 3.3 miles (according to Map My Run). In flipflops, carrying backpacks. So glad I bought T-shirts and not bowling balls at the merch stand. (And no, they didn't really sell bowling balls at the merch stand, so stop looking on Ebay for a flipper because you just HAVE TO HAVE a PJ bowling ball.)

O'Hare. Bar. Beer. Plane. Fall asleep. Boston. Mr. Unlost glad to see that Dissidentman and I both arrived safely, and he doesn't see any crutches, weeping sores, or handcuff marks on our wrists.

So, all in all, the weekend didn't suck.

I have to go now. My liver wants a word.

My God that was great!!!
  • QuarterToTenQuarterToTen Posts: 3,635

Was I?

:shifty:
    Nice shirt.
  • comebackgirlcomebackgirl Posts: 9,885
    RKCNDY wrote:

:think: :nono:
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632

Was I?

I know I wasn't, thank goodness...
    rick1zoo2 wrote:

Was I?

I know I wasn't, thank goodness...

K
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    dougfloyd wrote:

How about I add it to my signature... 8-)
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • afroannnieafroannnie Posts: 12,995
    We forgot to do the luggage races :( ....so we need to do them in Woostah & Seattle! ;)
    Show #13 was a lucky one for me....
  • dougfloyddougfloyd Posts: 2,580
    dougfloyd wrote:

How about I add it to my signature... 8-)

Sounds good :thumbup:
    1998 - Noblesville
    2000 - Noblesville
    2010 - Noblesville
    2011 - EV solo St Louis, PJ20 Alpine Valley
    2012 - San Fran (Oracle)
    2013 - Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincy, St Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Lexington, Wrigley
    2018 - Wrigley
    2022 - Nashville, St Louis
    2024 - Noblesville, Wrigley
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    afroannnie wrote:
    I wish I could, but October and November are looking to be lousy months for me. I may try last minute for an east coast show if the planets can get themselves in alignment. :)

If this happens I'd recommend Woostah! I think that's going to be a good one..album release day..and I think D-man may have a crush on you, and he'll be there :D Kw & I will be at the brooklyn & bmore shows too...so if you get to one of those, drop us a line :D

Guess I was in Chicago.

Well, now its out in the open.. how yous doing? ;)
    :lol: that was just wrong, sorry..
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    Snakey will be crushed...
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    RKCNDY wrote:
    Snakey will be crushed...

so much love to go around...
  • afroannnieafroannnie Posts: 12,995
    afroannnie wrote:

Guess I was in Chicago.

Well, now its out in the open.. how yous doing? ;)
    :lol: that was just wrong, sorry..

Sorry, D-man! :wave: But look....I got the conversation going.... :corn:
    Show #13 was a lucky one for me....
  • KimmiebyromKimmiebyrom Posts: 1,832

Was I?

I'll never forget the hot dog! :)
    2003 Dallas
    2013 Wrigley
    2013 Dallas
    2013 Oklahoma City
    2013 Seattle

How I choose to feel is how I am.
    There's just one word I still believe...and it's LOVE.
    "Take care of one another..." -EV
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    sounds like a pretty fantastic time, nicely done. thanks for sharing this funny story-line of events. if i ever met speedy though i think i'd wanna slap him just for kicks or something

good on you all for being nice :mrgreen:
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce