My Chicago Diary

unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
edited July 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
Thursday 7/18/13:

Dissidentman shows up at my house at 11. Meets Mr. Unlost for the first time as Mr. Unlost is sewing a PJ20 patch on my backpack for me. I offer Dman soda, juice, coffee. He replies, "How about a beer?" And we were off.

Beers at Logan Airport in Boston while waiting to board the flight (which made us among the last to board). Hoisted the new backpack onto my shoulders, walked onto the plane, turned to say something to Dissidentman and hit a seated passenger with the pack. Spun around to say "I'm sorry," and hit the seated passenger on the opposite side of the aisle. Dissolve into giggles, try to turn around and say to Dissidentman, "Did you see that?" and and proceeded to clunk it off the head of every aisle seat passenger in rows 3-18, laughing maniacally. Dissidentman finally grabbed me from behind, said "Stop! Just stop!" and took it off my shoulders and put it in the overhead bin. I'm crying now, I'm laughing so hard. Collapse into my seat. Guy in the row in front of me says, "I'm glad I'm getting off before you, you're an assassin with that thing."

More beers on the plane. More beers at O'Hare. We take the CTA Blue Line to Wrigleyville, which requires a bus transfer. We get on the wrong bus, and head back to O'Hare. Eventually we realize what's happening and get on the right bus.

Hotel great. Walk to the pre-preparty at Sluggers. It's time for another beer, so we hit a bar that smelled, as Dman remarked, like gerbils. (It really did.) But it was cool.

In the street: Saw Dimi. Saw Leeze & Cavstarr. Saw afroannnie and KW18. Dancing around like a kid on Christmas morning. From there on, it was EVERYBODY. Wow.

Back to the room around 2ish.

Friday 7/19/13:

A few hours of sleep. Find a great diner. Eat pancakes. Pancakes not made by Speedy McCready, who promised me pancakes two years ago at Alpine and I STILL HAVEN'T SEEN THOSE PANCAKES, SPEEDY.

Party at The Full Shilling. Mamasan23 is the first one in the door when they unlock it at noon. I'm on her heels, with Dissidentman right behind me. Party. Party some more. Party more than that. At one point I was wearing a Cubs flag as a cape. It made my Red Sox tattoo tingle.

Then: The show. Can't express. My favorite: "Hold On." Rain delay. More delay. More delay. Spent the time making new friends in our section. Don't regret it a bit. Eddie said they'd be back, and they were. Watching The Pit open up again, and people running exactly like the fast zombies in World War Z. I thought they were going to start piling on each other and climb up the scaffolding like the WWZ zombies did at the wall around Jerusalem. (They didn't, which was a little disappointing.)

Songs, songs, more songs. Eddie's face, such unbridled joy. Stone laughing. Mike melting faces. Matt driving it along. Jeff a madman on bass. Just amazing.

Chloe Dancer/Crown of Thorns: Guy behind me pees and splashes my bare leg. Same guy and his doofus friend spent the show yelling "LOVE BOAT CAPTAIN!" and "BABA O'RILEY!" And when Eddie picked up the accordion for "Bugs," the guy yelled "This is it! He's gonna play 'Baba O'Riley!'" Because, you know, they always do an accordion intro for "Baba O'Riley."

Post show French toast at most excellent diner. Go to bed as the sun is rising.

Saturday 7/20:

Speedy picks us up at 11 for his special tour of Chicago. We spend the next 14 hours drinking, eating, drinking and drinking. I finally get to meet He Who Must Not Be Named, which was pretty cool.

Chicago deep dish pizza: Words fail me. So freaking great. (But I still want to expose my Chicago friends to a thin slice to die for, from Santarpio's in East Boston.)

Thing I learned about the Chicago 10 Clubbers: My God those people can put away alcohol. And they can still walk and talk and reason. I am in awe. And there's nobody better to spend time with at a bar that has 148 Pearl Jam songs on the jukebox.

Sunday 7/21:

Diner again. Pancakes. Such good pancakes.

Dissidentman and I decide we don't need no stinkin' bus, we can walk to the Blue Line from North Clark and Diversey. It was only two inches on the CTA map on my iPad.

Alas, two inches proved to be 3.3 miles (according to Map My Run). In flipflops, carrying backpacks. So glad I bought T-shirts and not bowling balls at the merch stand. (And no, they didn't really sell bowling balls at the merch stand, so stop looking on Ebay for a flipper because you just HAVE TO HAVE a PJ bowling ball.)

O'Hare. Bar. Beer. Plane. Fall asleep. Boston. Mr. Unlost glad to see that Dissidentman and I both arrived safely, and he doesn't see any crutches, weeping sores, or handcuff marks on our wrists.

So, all in all, the weekend didn't suck.

I have to go now. My liver wants a word.
15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    This is great thank you for sharing!!!! The part about the accordion and Baba has me in stitches!! What an incredible weekend, I feel very lucky to have been able to spend so much time with you guys this weekend. What a great bunch of people :) Glad you and Dman made it home safe and sound :)
    I think I'm gonna need a month-long detox :lol:
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • hgpjam11hgpjam11 Posts: 1,328
    :lol::lol: What a great story... especially the backpack assassin.
    I hate that I missed this one, but hopefully Seattle will be as much fun!
    I win.
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    hgpjam11 wrote:
    :lol::lol: What a great story... especially the backpack assassin.
    I hate that I missed this one, but hopefully Seattle will be as much fun!

I will be there, my friend.

With my backpack.

8-)

(right now I'm making martial arts movie sounds, just like Bruce Lee)
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • cubBEE_girlcubBEE_girl Posts: 3,365
    OMG, this is fantastic!!! :lol::lol::lol: It was great meeting you and getting to hang out!!!! And you guys need to come back, so we can get through all 148 Pearl Jam songs on that jukebox...i think we only have like 5 or 100 left to listen too! Glad you guys made it home safely. Looking forward to the next one. :D
    I lost a bet...
  • iamicaiamica Posts: 2,628

Chicago deep dish pizza: Words fail me. So freaking great.

Thing I learned about the Chicago 10 Clubbers: My God those people can put away alcohol. And they can still walk and talk and reason. I am in awe. And there's nobody better to spend time with at a bar that has 148 Pearl Jam songs on the jukebox.

:mrgreen: Hope you enjoyed our fair city! Glad you had a good time.
    Chicago 2000 : Chicago 2003 : Chicago 2006 : Summerfest 2006 : Lollapalooza 2007 : Chicago 2009 : Noblesville (Indy) 2010 : PJ20 (East Troy) 2011 : Wrigley Field 2013 : Milwaukee (Yield) 2014 : Wrigley Field 2016
  • donnaruhldonnaruhl Posts: 2,157
    What a visual! I chuckled the whole way through. :lol:
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    awesome. was so glad to see you and everyone else too. we hsd a great time
  • ldent42ldent42 Posts: 7,859
    :lol::lol::lol: Damn I regret not making it to the Full Shilling now. Come to Brooklyn and party in Oct k? ;)
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    What an awesome weekend... Thanks for sharing :D
    ********************************************************************************************* image
  • morellomorello Posts: 6,212
    edited July 2013
    I wanted to meet & properly hang out with all of you in Nov/Dec. If you see me in my New Zealand t-shirt grab me(literally if you like) & well, I don't know what but let's find out.

So pleased for all of you that it was such an amazing weekend. I had a not too bad time on earthcam myself. Ice cold water for $1 anyone?
    Post edited by morello on
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,665
    morello wrote:
    If you see me in my New Zealand t-shirt grab me(literally if you like) & fuck
    Wow Kiwis must be a friendly bunch.
    This weekend we rock Portland
    . (But I still want to expose my Chicago friends to a thin slice to die for, from Santarpio's in East Boston.)

You better hope they like cornmeal and dirty glasses.
    Then shoot them over to D'Parma's for some cucaracha parmagiana.
  • SD48277SD48277 Posts: 12,243
    :lol: Sorry I did not make it to the Full Shilling to meet you guys. Any chance your bringing your ninja backpack moves to Hartford? If so, I would love to meet you and Dissidentman there.
    ELITIST FUK
  • afroannnieafroannnie Posts: 12,995
    Another killer pj weekend with you & so many others!! :mrgreen::mrgreen:
    Show #13 was a lucky one for me....
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    wow...Mr. Unlost won't let you near a thread and needle either? :?
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    RKCNDY wrote:
    He's a smart man.
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    I'm glad I'm getting the chance to live vicariously through you all..sounds like the weekend was a blast! :mrgreen:
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
    I'm glad I'm getting the chance to live vicariously through you all..sounds like the weekend was a blast! :mrgreen:

Are you coming up the east coast for any shows or heading to Seattle?
    afroannnie wrote:

I wish I could, but October and November are looking to be lousy months for me. I may try last minute for an east coast show if the planets can get themselves in alignment. :)
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
    afroannnie wrote:

I wish I could, but October and November are looking to be lousy months for me. I may try last minute for an east coast show if the planets can get themselves in alignment. :)

If this happens I'd recommend Woostah! I think that's going to be a good one..album release day..and I think D-man may have a crush on you, and he'll be there :D Kw & I will be at the brooklyn & bmore shows too...so if you get to one of those, drop us a line :D
    afroannnie wrote:
    afroannnie wrote:

If this happens I'd recommend Woostah! I think that's going to be a good one..album release day..and I think D-man may have a crush on you, and he'll be there :D Kw & I will be at the brooklyn & bmore shows too...so if you get to one of those, drop us a line :D

:lol::D Well, it would be so great to meet all you guys! D-man, that guy kills me. :lol:
    If I was able to swing it, I'd have to do a weekend show I think...I was considering one of the Brooklyn shows.. and the Baltimore show is a sunday, so that might work. :)

the more I think about it, this might work. I was afraid to get 10c tickets because I'd hate to see them go to waste if I couldnt make it up north, but with the public sale tickets, I could always give them to a board member if I cant make it. I just might try the public sale this saturday. 8-)

:lol::D Well, it would be so great to meet all you guys! D-man, that guy kills me. :lol:
    If I was able to swing it, I'd have to do a weekend show I think...I was considering one of the Brooklyn shows.. and the Baltimore show is a sunday, so that might work. :)

the more I think about it, this might work. I was afraid to get 10c tickets because I'd hate to see them go to waste if I couldnt make it up north, but with the public sale tickets, I could always give them to a board member if I cant make it. I just might try the public sale this saturday. 8-)

:D:D
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 Posts: 23,082
    wow. what a whirlwind of a weekend. pleasure hanging out with you and your crew again unlost.

i can't say for sure, but i am thinking that personally for me saturday night being with you all might have been more memorable than the actual concert.

all i know is i am incredibly bummed out being at work today.

i hate these post gig/tour blahs....
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
    Poncier wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:
    He's a smart man.

is there anything else I need to keep away from her when she stays with me in December? :?

So far I have:

*toasters
    *ovens
    *Fire trucks
    *smoke alarms
    *needle & thread
    *Italian restaurants with complimentary guests
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • jbarbianjbarbian Posts: 991
    Great story!
    RKCNDY wrote:
    Poncier wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:
    He's a smart man.

is there anything else I need to keep away from her when she stays with me in December? :?

So far I have:

*toasters
    *ovens
    *Fire trucks
    *smoke alarms
    *needle & thread
    Just to be safe probably anything flammable, electrical, sharp or blunt. Other than that you should be fine.
  • kw18kw18 Posts: 3,909
    RKCNDY wrote:

So far I have:

*toasters
    *ovens
    *Fire trucks
    *smoke alarms
    *needle & thread

Hide your backpack. She likes them ... a bit too much ... :?
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
    kw18 wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:

So far I have:

*toasters
    *ovens
    *Fire trucks
    *smoke alarms
    *needle & thread

Hide your backpack. She likes them ... a bit too much ... :?

I don't have a backpack as nice as yours though!

- Christopher McCandless
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    In my defense, Spirit Airlines is very cramped with a narrow aisle. And those people and their big giant heads were in my way, sort of.
  • comebackgirlcomebackgirl Posts: 9,885
    :lol::lol::lol:

Those giant-headed people should have to pay for extra head space.
    Meanwhile I'm waiting for my refund on the extra leg room I didn't need in my economy seat on the discount airline :oops: *waits patiently*
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"