Auto-Save Draft feature temporarily disabled. Please be sure you manually save your post by selecting "Save Draft" if you have that need.

***Athens Fanviews Here 30/09/06***

desertmandesertman Posts: 132
edited March 2007 in Given To Fly (live)
Setlist: Go, Animal, Life Wasted, Hail Hail, Corduroy, Severed Hand, Worldwide Suicide, Small Town, Given To Fly, Marker In The Sand, Sad, Even Flow, Daughter/(Another Brick In The Wall Pt. 2), You Are, Wishlist, Insignificance, Jeremy, Betterman

Encore: Footsteps, I Am Mine, Inside Job, Black, Rearviewmirror, Porch


2nd Encore: Smile, I Believe In Miracles, Alive, RITFW, Yellow Ledbetter with Little Wing


This thread is reserved for the lucky fans that were there.

Please post your Fanview if you were in attendance.
Marseille, Paris, Bologna, Verona, Milan, Torino, Pistoia, Zagreb, Athens....2006
Katowice....2007
Post edited by Unknown User on
«134567

Comments

  • bertanbertan Posts: 256
    it was "the greatest" night of my life, thanks to everyone who made it possible. i'm currently still in athens so i can't write a detailed review from the internet cafe, but i have a lot to tell when i go back home, since i was in the first row :D

    after the concert, in the line for ten club shirts, there was a girl with the setlist. she was running for the metro so i couldn't look at it too much but she was nice enough to show me the setlist a little. these were the songs that were on the setlist and were crossed out (and that i could read):

    last kiss, bushleaguer, glorified g, blood, leaving here

    finally, black and little wing were unbelievable! thanks to everyone, my first pj concert ever was breath taking !
    "hey na na na na hey that's something"

    [30.09.2006, Athens] [18.06.2007, London] [18.08.2009, London] [05.07.2014, Werchter] [17.07.2018, London]
  • jonnjonn Posts: 2
    We have been waiting for this band for so many years here in Greece. At last, last night Pearl Jam were here and gave us a 30 songs set to enjoy. I only wanted one more song to be played..."Last Exit".

    We all felt that it was very improtant to them to come in Greece and give us a great show. As Eddie said "We finally reached Athens, now we can retire!"

    The setlist was great...new songs and old favorites well mixed together, the audience (about 13.000 people) singing almost all choruses and even Vedder stood silent and watched us singing "Betterman" as loud as we could. The band was in great form, McCready proved once more that he is a great guitar player and soloist, Vedder climbed up the lighting stands during "Porch" and "Black", "Even Flow" and "Jeremy" left nobody down at their seats.
    Right down there at the front rows, where I was standing, the sound was loud and clear but I heard some people from the back seats saying that the whole mix should be a little louder. (I have no such complaints, and I realise that a basketball arena can be very dangerous when playing very loud because it's built mostly out of metal and glass and the whole place could start buzzing...)

    My own special moments were of course "Black" and "Jeremy", of course the moment that Eddie spoke us in greek expressing how happy they were to play in Greece, the way McCready interacted with the audience during the whole show (throwing picks and smiling while speaking to the fans at the 1st row), the great Daughter/Another Brick In The Wall medley, the "Betterman" sing-along and the grande finale with Yellow Ledbetter/Little Wing.

    Great performance from everybody (even Matt Cameron gave us a great 2-minute drum solo), a memorable concert, one of the two or three best shows I've ever been to.
  • I don't think I can describe what I was feeling those two and a half hours, all I know is that from the moment the show ended up untill now there is a huge, stupid smile in my face.
    The setlist could have been better but then again, there was not a single song I didn't enjoy so there are no complaints here. Of course I would want them to stay for another good two hours, maybe next time they're in town :p
    I know that there are fans who, having seen them more than once, will say that some things could be even better, and to be honest I too was expecting a 3+ hour set. But last night was the first time I saw my favourite band live so yes, I was so happy just to be able to be there.

    Cheers, hopefully there will be many many more dates to add =)
    I talk to planets baby
  • pjgrpjgr Posts: 15
    Amazing show and special setlist just for the greek fans.All the majors were played exceptionally good with no mistakes at all.
    If anyone has pics/films from the concert,please upload them.
    I am now sharing some captions here... http://www.demonoid.com/files/details/480159/8683938/

    I hope that Pearl Jam will come back to Athens to rock our world once more.
    THANK YOU PJ !
  • pixypixy Posts: 5
    It was one of the best shows I have ever been to!!!Eddie and the whole band were fantastic!
    What I enjoyed most was that there was a real communication with the audience !Other bands tend to ignore the fans but not PJ!We had the feeling that they were playing for US and not for promoting their new album!

    Great band!!Great show!!
    In life there is only trouble and desire ...
  • BuruBuru Posts: 8,473
    cool setlist
    and thus the tour ends...
    y la banda de Guille... cuando toca?
  • einatshauleinatshaul Posts: 2,219
    LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE This Band! It was my 5th show this tour, and a great way to say goodbye,
    As always, in the front row, Mike was all for me that night (o.k. I'll stop being so possesive) Eddie threw to me the Bush mask (although it wasn't played afterall) and I even got to see him climb the lights, a sight I never seen in person before.
    Stone was rockin and up for everything (even though he gave us no lip after the promessing sound check) with his litlle hat, he was all smiles and waves. Jeff was awesome and Matt's solo, well, what can I say... My favorites that night were Insignificance, always a good one, and that's when I let them know finally I'm from Israel while holding the sign "Israel Needs You" (I'm sure they've been dying to know...), Inside Job was - WOW, Mike should feel so proud of himself for that one, and rearviewmirror was a trance and it didn't even hurt that much. o.k., so I have no favorite, and the way Eddie colected the flags for himself (does he have a flag room in Seattle?) and the greatest version of Porch as it should sound, oh yeah, Porch, Mike in Porch... it was "cake" :)
    I'm glad the Greeks got their show!! (I just remembered I signed the pettision back then) hoping they will not retire until they have done Israel (or never ever for that matter)
    Thanks and love to all the great people I've met here in Athens and also earlier in Europe,
    Hope you've had the best closer!
    See you when they get back
    Here are some great photos I got at the show:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/einatshaul/
  • TheSkyEtcTheSkyEtc Athens, GRPosts: 63
    "TO THE RAMONES GUY!!!!"

    ..yelled Eddie after 'I believe in miracles' holding a G.W.Bush mask andpointing at me..During the song i almost tore my Ramones t-shirt apartand apparently Ed noticed it. So when the song ends he grabs a mask bends over and yells "To the Ramones guy!!" and throws it to my side but another guy catched the mask. While i was trying to get it back Ed (what a kind guy) he insists and throws another (!!!) yelling again to the security guy "TO THE RAMONES GUY!!!!" but until the second
    mask lands in the crowd i had already taken the first one back.. After a couple of songs when Ed sits down for while he looks at me and then i put my hand where my heart is and then pointing at him saying "Thank you!" and he responds at me kindly smiling "you're welcome!"..

    What a great night really... Greek people were waiting for this night for 15 years. 15 years of intensity and anticipation gathered in a full 2,5-hour show. The band was great the people were great..The setlist was great.....
    Not unique but it was a really good summary of 15 years and well played..

    During Corduroy at the part where Ed sings "the waiting drove me mad,you're finally here and i'm a mess" we were in awe. Almost crying and some of us crying our souls out.The first encore started with the band playing acoustic and seated 'Footsteps' and 'I am mine'....what a moment!!!

    Black was really intense as also Small town and Better man where the crowd participated in a really surprising way..i can't wait to listen to the bootleg specifically for these parts. And during the unbelievably played 'Porch' Ed climbed about 5 meters above the crowd and singing up there. Better to jump than hesitate Ed.. ;)
    They played Smile and everybody was smiling waving and singing "We miss you already". A lot of great moments for one show... A lot of tears of joy.. The last two encores were the high-peak . . Everybody was going up and down . . The show ended with Yellow ledbetter followed by a full band Little wing!!!

    The guys seemed really happy to play here and enjoying it.. Ed joked and said in Greek "We always wanted to play here.Now that we have, we can retire.."

    I'm still in denial that this is over..maybe after a couple of days i will be in a better place to describe the last night.. Maybe i'll be back in more details when i'll listen the bootleg.. I was natural high. Can't recall a lot of stuff from waht exactly was going on in there.. Forgive me and i hope other guys that attended the show will inform you in a better way!!

    bye for now...
    take care each other
    peace
    A whisper through a megaphone
  • einatshauleinatshaul Posts: 2,219
    Great review, you should post it on the already existant thread
    http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=217773

    BTW sorry for getting the Bush mask, but at least you have yours
  • PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,753
    bruised and battered (not particularly rough show, just was exactly in the corner for the first time and somehow got more bruises than usual!).
    Almost broken nose (nah, just a bit sour...didn't see anything coming..just felt like someone punched me..roadie threw a bottle in my face apparently..accidentaly of course...well I assume..unless he got some instructions...mm, hadn't thought about that... ;)...btw thanks to JT and sorry I didn't have the occasion to say thanks for the whole tour).

    Big red eyes though because it's OVER :(

    which I guess spoiled a bit my enjoyment..we were on opposite corners and taking turns to cry with Gitta! being there since 7am so that and the whole 6 weeks fatigue didn't help ... I'm not that soapy usually ... no, really ;)

    the show, or what I remember:
    Stone in great form, dancing playfully around the stage and basically smiling all evening (maybe the thought of going home?)
    Sad that doesn't get played enough...though missed DTE..
    Footsteps, just beautiful (and first started Gitta's tears).
    Smile: love that song, glad to have heard it again but so right and so wrong: "I miss you already" just sent me bawling!

    And Mike (which I decided is now my official favourite person in the whole world!!) not ready to go on Ledbetter and everyone but Ed picking up their instruments again to play Little Wing in full...big smile through the tears..they didn't seem to want to go anymore that we wanted them to.. almost believed in getting some more..

    bad things:
    I was really believing we'd get the 3 hours show...
    it's OVER! everyone's gone home, the band and the fans..I miss you all already :(
    ...there I go again!!


    Songs that were on the setlist but not played:
    Encore 1: Nothingman, Last Kiss, Lukin
    Encore 2:Bus$leaguer, Glorified G, Comatose, Give me No Lip, Blood, Leaving Here
    Songs not on the setlist that were played: Porch, I believe in Miracles

    Undone rehearsed like 5 times but not even on the setlist??!?
  • ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    what a tour that was.... sets were the best pj sets ever in my opinion.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

    Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

    I love you forever and forever :)

    Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,753
    Zoso wrote:
    what a tour that was.... sets were the best pj sets ever in my opinion.
    :confused:
    I've just seen recently the setlist for Katowice 2000...and Marseille (considered by pretty much everyone, me included, as the best setlist of Europe 2006...as much as I don't want to think about it having missed it!!) doesn't even come close!!

    so no, setlist-wise, I found it a bit dissapointing in the lack of variety...feel like I came to the game too late and the glory days of really varied setlists are gone ..as much as I enjoyed the tour :)
  • pjamaholicpjamaholic Posts: 1,225
    Non varied setlist? With Sad, Smile and Footsteps - 3 songs I would kill to hear live how can you say it's not a varied Setlist. If I get 29 songs at a concert I'll be rapt!
  • bertanbertan Posts: 256
    pjgr wrote:
    Amazing show and special setlist just for the greek fans.All the majors were played exceptionally good with no mistakes at all.
    If anyone has pics/films from the concert,please upload them.
    I am now sharing some captions here... http://www.demonoid.com/files/details/480159/8683938/

    I hope that Pearl Jam will come back to Athens to rock our world once more.
    THANK YOU PJ !

    can you please upload it on rapidshare or something, for some reason torrent dowloads are extremely slow from my new school and i don't have the energy to solve this problem. i can't even raise my left arm to my shoulder, it's in great pain, i have lots of bruises as well, but they all remind me of the concert so i'm in peace with them all :D

    5 songs of ten and 4 songs of vs! if someone told me this before the concert i just wouldn't believe. the setlist was a hit machine, altough i missed solat deeply, i would never bitch about it. i still have my green ten club bracelet on my arm and i want to share lots of things about the concert. but i have to do the work i couldn't this weekend :(

    just wanna add, the feeling you get when mike mccready looks directly at your eyes and smiles is, one of the best feelings in the world :)
    "hey na na na na hey that's something"

    [30.09.2006, Athens] [18.06.2007, London] [18.08.2009, London] [05.07.2014, Werchter] [17.07.2018, London]
  • bertanbertan Posts: 256
    could everyone please post every link possible for photos. doesn't matter if you took them or found the link from a website. (i would even like to see the one or two photos that local papers used). i would post a link for the photos my friend took as soon as i recieve them.
    "hey na na na na hey that's something"

    [30.09.2006, Athens] [18.06.2007, London] [18.08.2009, London] [05.07.2014, Werchter] [17.07.2018, London]
  • PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,753
    pjamaholic wrote:
    Non varied setlist? With Sad, Smile and Footsteps - 3 songs I would kill to hear live how can you say it's not a varied Setlist. If I get 29 songs at a concert I'll be rapt!
    3 out of a whole set is not varied (and they've all been payed before in this leg) .. You Are, Wishlist, Insignificance and IBIM were also less played but all the rest was heavily played in previous shows.

    haven't got the exact stats (and can't be bothered making them) but I'd venture over 3/4 of every set was a heavy rotation of the same songs..

    that's great if it's your first show...but even then it lacks that 'special' feeling...

    I loved the tour but what made each individual show different was rarely the setlist but rather the crowd/atmosphere.
  • rosporospo Posts: 3
    I am ecstatic! Since the end of the show I cannot get the smile out of my face. It was worth the waiting for so many years. The show was all I ever hoped for and more and definitely the best one I’ve ever been to. PJ played to please us… and I could not believe Eddie’s energy! I am grateful to have been able to see my favorite band perform live, even though I had to wait for fifteen years. The waiting made the taste much much sweeter.
  • iguanaiguana Posts: 6
    I am still overwelmed and my hands arer shaking every time i think of what i experienced on Saturday night...What else can a man ask for ?Seeing his favorite band playing right in fron of him after 15 years of waiting!We were school boys and now we are grown ups but still the music made my heart crashed like all the thousand times ive been hearing the songs during these years.
    It was an unbelievable setlist , each song bursting into the other and full of energy.Some fans that are lucky enough to see them play many times argue that there were not as many rares as they expected but come one guys put yourselvess in our position , we have never ever heard jeremy or betterman !What else can we ask for ???I couldnt even believe that they played smile or footsteps and the first encore was maybe the best from all the shows. The atmosphaire was so sentimental with eddie talking in greek all the time and asking for the flags and whatever the fans were giving him and all the group waving goodbye at yellow ledbetter .And believe me i have been to many concerts but i have never seen a whole arena singing ALL the lyrics from ALL songs (and this is not u.s or u.k not a native english speaking country) the hall was shaking from all these thousand voices!!
    It was one of the most exciting moments of my life , im thankfull to God that i was able to experience this and enormous thanks to P.J. who brought to life a dream that always looked impossible.THANK YOU GUYS WE ARE NOW COMPLETE !!
  • Bare with me 'cause this is gonna be a long one...

    After going to Zagreb and watching my 1st PJ concert ever and getting excited and numb,it was time for the most special time of my life...

    I went to the OAKA stadium in Athens and instantly met some beautiful people from all over the world.I took a spare 10c ticket from a guy I'd already met in Zagreb (thanx Daniel from N.Zealand...the flag was yours??) and ended up 1st row a bit more to the left from Mike's side right behind the big iron construction thing where Ed climbed later on!!

    About 20:30 still the technicians were on stage,the lights were on and we heard "release".The concert started.Then "Go" light up the fire!Or should I say Mike's fire???Well, he was fucking amazing that guy.I heard songs that I didin't think I would:Go,Animal,Smile,You Are (!!!???THANX FOR THAT!!!).
    Wishful thinking:NAIS,Grievance,Gone...Next time ;-)

    Eddie's Greek were great.At some point he tried to say this really long greek word and he couldn't,so he made a little pause between the sylabbus and immediately afterwards laughed and said "gamoto!!" which means "fuck" in Greek in such a spontaneous way...he actually knew how to say that in Greek...great laughs!!!

    When he came to our side and climbed that thing I tried not to miss anything again...he was so close,but still I can't remember the way his eyes looked that moment...the only thing I can remember is that before he climbed it he was holding on to it and leaning towards us with a smile daring us to catch him if he'd made that fall...and we were encouraging him...but no...I guess it's safer up there than down among the crazy greeks!!!

    The security guys...I really don't know why they were there that night...we were starving for water and nobody was giving any..so I asked that security guy and he said it wasn't his job!!!Can u believe that??Very crowdy in the front,got a few bruises...Although the stadium wasn't full.I remember before the show started,we noticed that the arena,and the row of seats next to Mike were full...but Stone's side was practically empty..I hope later on he got all the love he deserves!Jeff was also on fire...he was laughing and playing with Mike...he was wearing a blue T-shirt which had a greek logo on that said: " Hope keeps life in the body" but I don't know if it was of some greek organisation or not...Somebody threw a brown hat on stage and Ed caught it and put it on Stone who actually looked pretty nice in it...

    During the whole show Mike was coming to our side and,call me crazy, but I think he pointed at me and looked at me 2-3 times...I don't know...maybe I was dreaming...He kept on throwing picks on our side,the security guys finally had a reason to be there!!! (:-p) He also threw 3 sheets of paper (setlist I guess) right in front of me but he didn't threw them very hard so they fell down in front of my eyes and the security guys gave them elsewhere (lucky fans).

    And right where I thought that that was it for me,there he was again, coming towards us and looking straight in the eyes.I looked at him straight back and yelled "I've got NOTHING MAN,NOTHING!!!",opening my arms wide in a gesture of complete despair and after a while he threw some more picks and FINALLY I GOT A MIKE PICK!!!It was raining Mike picks Saturday night... :lol

    Eddie gathered very flag that was in the stadium...I hope they liked us...the crowd singing on Betterman and Black and a bit in Smile too (that was a surprise!) did a good job.Eddie thanked us in Greek and in Black he clapped a bit...wow...amazing!!It was a show I'll always remember.Thanx to everybody I met during last week and made both shows really special!!
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,335
    einatshaul wrote:
    Here are some great photos I got at the show:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/einatshaul/

    Thanks for posting those pics Einat... They are great!!!! :D
  • bertanbertan Posts: 256
    The Cursed wrote:
    Bare with me 'cause this is gonna be a long one...

    After going to Zagreb and watching my 1st PJ concert ever and getting excited and numb,it was time for the most special time of my life...

    I went to the OAKA stadium in Athens and instantly met some beautiful people from all over the world.I took a spare 10c ticket from a guy I'd already met in Zagreb (thanx Daniel from N.Zealand...the flag was yours??) and ended up 1st row a bit more to the left from Mike's side right behind the big iron construction thing where Ed climbed later on!!

    About 20:30 still the technicians were on stage,the lights were on and we heard "release".The concert started.Then "Go" light up the fire!Or should I say Mike's fire???Well, he was fucking amazing that guy.I heard songs that I didin't think I would:Go,Animal,Smile,You Are (!!!???THANX FOR THAT!!!).
    Wishful thinking:NAIS,Grievance,Gone...Next time ;-)

    Eddie's Greek were great.At some point he tried to say this really long greek word and he couldn't,so he made a little pause between the sylabbus and immediately afterwards laughed and said "gamoto!!" which means "fuck" in Greek in such a spontaneous way...he actually knew how to say that in Greek...great laughs!!!

    When he came to our side and climbed that thing I tried not to miss anything again...he was so close,but still I can't remember the way his eyes looked that moment...the only thing I can remember is that before he climbed it he was holding on to it and leaning towards us with a smile daring us to catch him if he'd made that fall...and we were encouraging him...but no...I guess it's safer up there than down among the crazy greeks!!!

    The security guys...I really don't know why they were there that night...we were starving for water and nobody was giving any..so I asked that security guy and he said it wasn't his job!!!Can u believe that??Very crowdy in the front,got a few bruises...Although the stadium wasn't full.I remember before the show started,we noticed that the arena,and the row of seats next to Mike were full...but Stone's side was practically empty..I hope later on he got all the love he deserves!Jeff was also on fire...he was laughing and playing with Mike...he was wearing a blue T-shirt which had a greek logo on that said: " Hope keeps life in the body" but I don't know if it was of some greek organisation or not...Somebody threw a brown hat on stage and Ed caught it and put it on Stone who actually looked pretty nice in it...

    During the whole show Mike was coming to our side and,call me crazy, but I think he pointed at me and looked at me 2-3 times...I don't know...maybe I was dreaming...He kept on throwing picks on our side,the security guys finally had a reason to be there!!! (:-p) He also threw 3 sheets of paper (setlist I guess) right in front of me but he didn't threw them very hard so they fell down in front of my eyes and the security guys gave them elsewhere (lucky fans).

    And right where I thought that that was it for me,there he was again, coming towards us and looking straight in the eyes.I looked at him straight back and yelled "I've got NOTHING MAN,NOTHING!!!",opening my arms wide in a gesture of complete despair and after a while he threw some more picks and FINALLY I GOT A MIKE PICK!!!It was raining Mike picks Saturday night... :lol

    Eddie gathered very flag that was in the stadium...I hope they liked us...the crowd singing on Betterman and Black and a bit in Smile too (that was a surprise!) did a good job.Eddie thanked us in Greek and in Black he clapped a bit...wow...amazing!!It was a show I'll always remember.Thanx to everybody I met during last week and made both shows really special!!

    just a couple of things... the song they played before go was master/slave, not release. i was at the exact same place, right in front of mike. we were the ones with "pearl jam turkey" shirts :D i was the one with the dreads, dunno if i talked with anyone from the forum tough... anyway, we were there from the beginning and the security were great, they threw bottles couple of times, and one time this security guy walked all the front line and poured water into every single fan's mouth, including me. he literally helped everyone in the first row. So I adored the greek security, they were great :)

    i did manage to get two picks as well, there really was a pick rain on mike's side. my friend right next to me and the greek guy next to him each got one of eddie's tambourines after he climbed to the stage. mike smiled a lot to us, at the end of the concert i called him multiple times and finally he looked. i told him he was the best and he smiled and waved. these are small things that happen to lots of people but it was my first pj concert ever, so i just need to tell :D

    one thing that i'm sure didn't happen to many people was a different song request. my mobile phone is not an extraordinary model but it has one cool feature: wave messaging. basically you can write couple of words and when you wave the phone in the air, the words can be seen from a good distance. here's more info if i couldn't explain it well: http://www.nokia.co.uk/nokia/0,8764,59259,00.html

    i used this feature to request songs of course, i wrote "state" and starting waving. stone recognized it and laughed, then showed it to mike and he laughed as well. so there you go, i did my best for state of love and trust :D

    one sad thing was when roadies came on stage before the second encore and clearly crossed over two songs. i knew the setlist can be changed and stuff but witnessing that moment was just painful :)

    setlist was great in my opinion. it was the first show for greeks and third or fourth for the balkans in the past 15 years. so it was quite normal for them to play the hit songs. but i didn't expect to hear the "famous five" of ten! (alive,evenflow, porch, jeremy, black)

    about the soundcheck: i think little wing was played once, undone was played 2.5 or 3 times, and don't gimme no lip was played one and a half times. it ended about 17:30/17:45

    i think those are all the stupid details i remember for now. can't wait for the boot!
    "hey na na na na hey that's something"

    [30.09.2006, Athens] [18.06.2007, London] [18.08.2009, London] [05.07.2014, Werchter] [17.07.2018, London]
  • i was one of the 13000 at the oaka stadium in athens!
    i just want to say a great thanx to the band for the greater live i've ever seen and for the most beautiful 3 hours (about) of concert!
    i always like to hear ''wishlist'' and among other things i wish pearl jam to come in greece every year!!
    i still hear in my mind the show all over again and again!
    THANX!!!
    i originally posted elsewhere ....sorry!!!
  • V VV V Posts: 5,191
    merkin wrote:
    "TO THE RAMONES GUY!!!!"

    ..yelled Eddie after 'I believe in miracles' holding a G.W.Bush mask andpointing at me..During the song i almost tore my Ramones t-shirt apartand apparently Ed noticed it. So when the song ends he grabs a mask bends over and yells "To the Ramones guy!!" and throws it to my side but another guy catched the mask. While i was trying to get it back Ed (what a kind guy) he insists and throws another (!!!) yelling again to the security guy "TO THE RAMONES GUY!!!!" but until the second
    mask lands in the crowd i had already taken the first one back.. After a couple of songs when Ed sits down for while he looks at me and then i put my hand where my heart is and then pointing at him saying "Thank you!" and he responds at me kindly smiling "you're welcome!"..

    What a great night really... Greek people were waiting for this night for 15 years. 15 years of intensity and anticipation gathered in a full 2,5-hour show. The band was great the people were great..The setlist was great.....
    Not unique but it was a really good summary of 15 years and well played..

    During Corduroy at the part where Ed sings "the waiting drove me mad,you're finally here and i'm a mess" we were in awe. Almost crying and some of us crying our souls out.The first encore started with the band playing acoustic and seated 'Footsteps' and 'I am mine'....what a moment!!!

    Black was really intense as also Small town and Better man where the crowd participated in a really surprising way..i can't wait to listen to the bootleg specifically for these parts. And during the unbelievably played 'Porch' Ed climbed about 5 meters above the crowd and singing up there. Better to jump than hesitate Ed.. ;)
    They played Smile and everybody was smiling waving and singing "We miss you already". A lot of great moments for one show... A lot of tears of joy.. The last two encores were the high-peak . . Everybody was going up and down . . The show ended with Yellow ledbetter followed by a full band Little wing!!!

    The guys seemed really happy to play here and enjoying it.. Ed joked and said in Greek "We always wanted to play here.Now that we have, we can retire.."

    I'm still in denial that this is over..maybe after a couple of days i will be in a better place to describe the last night.. Maybe i'll be back in more details when i'll listen the bootleg.. I was natural high. Can't recall a lot of stuff from waht exactly was going on in there.. Forgive me and i hope other guys that attended the show will inform you in a better way!!

    bye for now...
    take care each other
    peace

    that was very moving , brought tears to my eyes :)
    ~~~~~~~~~~ PINK FLUFFY LOVE PSYCHO~~~~~~~~~~
    Astoria,Dublin,Reading 06,Wembley 07,Sheapards Bush & o2 09 thats multiple Jamgasms!
  • Yes,fuck yes!We saw Pearl Jam live,at last!we were sweaty from the very first song!What an opening...GO!I couldn't believe i was in there!To tell the truth,I didn't wait PJ to be so punctual!The time was 20.10 and the concert begins!That's right...Fuck divas that appear on stage 1+ hour from what is scheduled!Love Pearl Jam forever!It was one of the best nights!
    Cheers!
    If I would, would you?
  • Another review (in Greek) for the live in Athens here...

    I will upload some live photos, too... quite soon :)
  • I still wisper tourouroutou tourourouuu, from when he was singing black. my teenage dream came true.. PLEASE COME BACK TO GREECE!!! I miss u already..

    i love u always...
  • I finally heard porch live!!! WHAT A SHOW!!!

    Wonderful set, excellent job by the guys and crowd was AWESOME!!!
    Me and my sis may have been left battered and bruised but it was worth it

    My highlights... PORCH, SAD, ALIVE (hadnt heard it live yet), BLACK, HAIL HAIL, AND RVM, SMILE AND GO!!!

    Thanks so much for a brilliant show and and unforgetable night!
    ^^ ^^
    * i swore i knew everything *
    let's say knowledge is a tree
    it's growing up just like me
  • RicsardRicsard Posts: 1,941
    Pegasus wrote:
    :confused:
    I've just seen recently the setlist for Katowice 2000...and Marseille (considered by pretty much everyone, me included, as the best setlist of Europe 2006...as much as I don't want to think about it having missed it!!) doesn't even come close!!

    so no, setlist-wise, I found it a bit dissapointing in the lack of variety...feel like I came to the game too late and the glory days of really varied setlists are gone ..as much as I enjoyed the tour :)
    Pegasus wrote:
    3 out of a whole set is not varied (and they've all been payed before in this leg) .. You Are, Wishlist, Insignificance and IBIM were also less played but all the rest was heavily played in previous shows.

    haven't got the exact stats (and can't be bothered making them) but I'd venture over 3/4 of every set was a heavy rotation of the same songs..

    that's great if it's your first show...but even then it lacks that 'special' feeling...

    I loved the tour but what made each individual show different was rarely the setlist but rather the crowd/atmosphere.


    I don't think they (should) want/need to fit Y-O-U-R(!) taste/needs 'cos you might not be part of the majority who just manage to see them once or twice a tour!

    C'mon man, have you ever thought about the fact they last played in Europe 6 years ago??? They played in not few cities and venues where had never before...so don't be surprised most people want them to play songs like Even Flow and as many classics as possible from TEN and VS. and all the other biggest hits and the band also know it...If songs like Betterman, Given To Fly, Rearviewmirror, Black, Life Wasted or Do The Evolution hadn't been played one night almost everybody felt their absence!!! And come on they played more than 100 different songs this year...eh?!
    AND C'MON, which other great old band does so different setlists like Pearl Jam??! or does 2 1/2 hour long shows??? Try to name one!
    People should stop complaining about setlists in this forum! Each show was special for most fans who was THERE - or at least this is what most reviews say. (It does not matter that actually I do feel the same...and by the way out of 3 shows I was they played 52 (!):D different songs with at least 8-9 different tags:D)


    but here come the most important thoughts:
    I am glad Greek people finally got the show they hdeserved and did not forget about a really important but untrendy band! Wish you a next show as soon as possible!
    budapest.arnhem.antwerpen.vienna.madrid.katowice.nova_rock.nijmegen.rotterdam.berlin.dublin.belfast.london.venice.prague.stockholm.copenhagen.vienna.leeds.milton_keynes.padova.
    prague.seattle1.seattle2.chicago1
  • Ricsard wrote:
    they last played in Europe 6 years ago??? They played in not few cities and venues where had never before...so don't be surprised most people want them to play songs like Even Flow and as many classics as possible from TEN and VS. and all the other biggest hits and the band also know it

    EXACTLY.
    Ricsard wrote:
    I and by the way out of 3 shows I was they played 52 (!):D different songs with at least 8-9 different tags:D)



    LOL ive done the same counting for myself, and the figures are more or less the same ... a bit more than 50 songs (cant remeber exactly) in 3 shows for me, i think its awesome!!!!!! which other band is doing that???

    when ive done a private mini tour a couple of years back for another band i really love, i believe they "delivered" like 25 different songs in 6 shows... =/ and everybody was happy if they suddenly played an unexpected encore or cover song in a show... and you know what, that was still fantastic, so i dont have words to describe the grandeur of pearl jam... :)
    stood at the top of the hill over my town i was found. finding myself used to be hard but now i see the light. this is music.
  • An awesome show and a great way to finish the tour!

    A few of us flew into Athens at about 4.30am on Sat morning, had a shower at the hotel, got changed and headed straight out to the venue - it's funny how you can survive on Red Bull and a very short kip on the grass/cement if you have to!

    The 10C line was very organised (despite us moving about 5 times to different gates!) and the fabulous Gitta (aka Tambo Girl) did a great job of sorting everyone out.

    Big hi to all the Israeli fans who showed up - it was great to meet you all. Kudos to the girls who managed to meet Ed before the show - your excitment was certainly contagious!

    We were all very happy when the soundcheck started - Undone and Gimme No Lip especially got people going (although it did completely rip my undies when Gimme No Lip ended up on the setlist but unplayed - oh well there is another excuse to go again!).

    Although it was not the 3 hour show we were hoping for the set was well recieved and everyone had a great time. Stone in particular looked to be fine form and he dished out plenty of duck dancing and smiles throughout the night.

    Hail, Hail, Footsteps and I Believe in Miracles were my personal favs from the setlist but it all got a bit emotional when Jeff walked on with the guitar and the boys went into Smile - hope the crowd yelling "We miss you already" comes out on the boot - it certainly sounded loud to me.

    Somewhere in the encores Ed asked that all the flags in the audience be handed up to them so they could be put up in their practice space at home - up went my Aussie flag together with a whole heap of others from all over Europe and the world. Ed also particularly thanked the people who had followed them throughout the Europe tour.

    There were a lot of tears when Mike started up YL as everyone knew that this was really the end of the tour. I am really stoked that the Europeans have had such an amazing tour - you guys have been waiting a long time and you didn't disappoint with your enthusiasm. I hope the boys come back to the UK and Europe in the next couple of years so I can meet up with you all again.
Sign In or Register to comment.