Edit: Mayor Rob Ford admits to smoking crack

Comments

• lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087

PJ_Soul said:

Poor Michael. It must suck to be gay and a member of Toronto's most homophobic family.

:confused:

Poor Michael. It must suck to be gay and a member of Toronto's most homophobic family.

Qu'est-ce que le wha, lol?
    Whoops... inside info I shouldn't have shared. My bad. I just feel bad for the kid.

Inside info's different from what I honestly feared: that his speech impediment (or whatever the pc term is) was being childishly made fun of (thankfully not).

As I told someone in discussing this, (if true) it's somewhat a point of pride that this is how I found out about this (international Internet message board), since it's been a non-issue locally. Because most in this city would agree (I hope), who cares?

And PJSoul, I hope I'm not an asshole, even though I happily ride the Ford train, lol.
    lukin2006 said:

Why in death can people not leave rob ford alone. And who fucking cares about Michael Fords sexuality ... that's his business.

I should be clear that the individual who provided the info was sharing an opinion. Michael Ford did not out himself to this person. I don't know if he is gay for sure, and I don't care if he is. Really the point I was making is that "Ford Nation" probably would care if he was gay, and that it was "Ford Nation" that elected him. Furthermore I imagine the Ford Family Closet wouldn't be the easiest to come out of. I wish him the best gay or not, and as I said I hope he flips the script and re-writes the Ford family political book.

Thankfully your last comment puts us back to (in my opinion) "Who knows? Who cares?" Regarding Michael's sexuality, and I do agree with what you're saying to an extent. Rob's non-attendance at most Pride events is a matter of record, and casts a certain light (right or wrong) on these types of issues.

That said, my feeling is that enough time has passed that (both sides) a honest and open discussion should be possible regarding Rob and his life. I know up-thread I took serious exception with some of the things said about him, but that was literally in the first days after he'd died. It's been months now, and the only people who (I think) might have the right to be offended would be his family, and I'm guessing none of them are active members here, lol.
    Discussing Rob Fords legacy including his addictions ... no problem, trash talking someone's behaviour because of said addiction is not cool to me.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    lukin2006 said:

PJ_Soul said:

lukin2006 said:

^^^why the need to discuss and trash talk a human being that had since passed ... fords behaviour was addiction based. I'll approach rob ford with some empathy ... unfortunately he didn't live long enough after getting through rehab to see if he was a changed person.

He was a creep long before he was an addict. And why discuss politicians and their behaviour? Because we need to make sure we remember people like him so that we don't repeat mistakes, plus his family is still in politics. That's fine if you feel empathy for Ford, but I'll ask that you don't tell me that I shouldn't talk about it.
    I didn't realize Rob Ford let you in his inner circle, especially someone like you who can't stand the guy. otherwise how do you know when his addiction issues surfaced, heck I doubt rob ford could have pinned down when he became addicted...could have been in high school...

Maybe their is an article or interview where he discusses when it became problematic ...

Talk away if you want...and in your case trash talk.
    I'm going off of all the info I've ever read, and yeah, he was supposedly a creep in high school too, lol. Yes, I will continue to trash talk that motherfucker, thanks. :)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    Wouldn't it be great if Rob Ford was American and alive and Trumps running mate, they'd be even better than a trump presidency with pence ... then these boards would be really great again.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

• dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    If you're acting like an idiot high or sober, you're still acting like an idiot. Because he had an addiction doesn't give him a pass for his poor behavior....which is a matter of public record, I see no problem with us discussing it.
    Also, because he's dead doesn't give him a pass either.
  • dignin said:

If you're acting like an idiot high or sober, you're still acting like an idiot. Because he had an addiction doesn't give him a pass for his poor behavior....which is a matter of public record, I see no problem with us discussing it.

Who is the us?
    Then discuss away ... I thought some of you on the really far left were more sympathetic or maybe you are sympathetic...just not toward politicians on the right with addictions, most likely if he was a left wing tree hugger nut job he'd get all sorts of sympathy on these boards. Oh, I clarified that I didn't say discuss ford, more so I don't see the benefit of trashing him ... hahaha

I am simply not sympathetic toward Rob Ford in particular. It has nothing to do with my general feelings about addiction.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    Well I'm not sympathetic toward any politician ... I truly think they are disgusting selve serving humans with an agenda that benefits them in some way...likely financial.

• BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    PJ_Soul said:

Good for him, it's a departure from what Rob and Doug's response would have been. I hope he flips the script on the whole Ford political legacy. If so, Ford Nation may not like it.

As to how I came about my info... second hand info obviously, and all I can or should say is that it comes from someone close to the Family. My reason for posting was a knee jerk reaction to the "Ford Nation alive and well" post. Knee jerk because I don't think MF shares all the same values as Ford Nation.

He clearly doesn't. He's been known to criticize some of his family's views.... which is a good thing. "Ford Nation" is an embarrassing Canadian joke. Anyone who would want to dedicate himself to riding that train would automatically have to be an asshole.
    Well I'm a proud asshole then.
  • PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited July 2016
    BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:

Good for him, it's a departure from what Rob and Doug's response would have been. I hope he flips the script on the whole Ford political legacy. If so, Ford Nation may not like it.

As to how I came about my info... second hand info obviously, and all I can or should say is that it comes from someone close to the Family. My reason for posting was a knee jerk reaction to the "Ford Nation alive and well" post. Knee jerk because I don't think MF shares all the same values as Ford Nation.

He clearly doesn't. He's been known to criticize some of his family's views.... which is a good thing. "Ford Nation" is an embarrassing Canadian joke. Anyone who would want to dedicate himself to riding that train would automatically have to be an asshole.
    I like the rule about being allowed to call yourself an asshole and not others.
    Sign me up on the train! I'm an asshole too!

edit - insert pic of wait nevermind
    BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:

Well I'm not going to argue with you there, but I meant that only in the context of politicians.
  • The guy had a problem that is for sure. But, the enablers that were around him and the people at city hall who must have turned the blind eye to the Rob's problems just to watch him sink in a boat filling fast with water are also idiots. Could you imagine being on council and know the guy is juiced most days and not want to get the mayor help. Self serving politicians. At least Robbie boy returned calls to the voters. And if that is all or most of what it takes to win votes, why don't more of em do it.

The poison from the poison stream caught up to you ELEVEN years ago and you floated out of here. Sept. 14, 08

^^^ I tried showing him some empathy here but got shut down ... apparently here only the radical liberals with problems deserve empathy ... not right wing politicians. The returning of call, emails, text messages and visiting his constituents seemed to be common theme as to why people liked him ... and in the end that's what people want, they want to know there being heard ...

I like what you said.

lukin2006 said:

^^^ I tried showing him some empathy here but got shut down ... apparently here only the radical liberals with problems deserve empathy ... not right wing politicians. The returning of call, emails, text messages and visiting his constituents seemed to be common theme as to why people liked him ... and in the end that's what people want, they want to know there being heard ...

I like what you said.

You're going to take up this radical liberal mantra too? You're smarter than that.

Name me one "radical liberal" we give a pass to who acted like Ford?
    dignin said:

lukin2006 said:

I like what you said.

You're going to take up this radical liberal mantra too? You're smarter than that.

I'm not defending rob ford or his actions, I think all politicians are questionable characters to begin ... I have/had empathy for him that's all. Heck I don't care who the mayor of toronto is, I don't like the city, I don't even go there anymore than humanly possible.

In Ontario these people running this province are radical liberals...I'm not calling any other premier or even our PM that .... so I'd say I'm taking up the mantra of anyone. And personally I don't have a lot of faith in anyone solving what ails Ontario.

I also have no faith in politicians. That's well known.

I also consider conservative to far to the right neocons, nobody around here has a problem with that.

Personally I do think the Federal government and most provincial governments are doing their best to bankrupt us with running these ridiculous deficits ... worse yet not one has a plan to balance their budgets not to mention start paying off some of the debt.

In Ontario we spend a billion a month just to service the debt, in my area the CEO of Windsor Regional Hospital is trying to get 2 billion for a new modern hospital ... yet this province which has been mismanaged for the last 30 years could sure use that 12 billion a year, and if we had that 12 billion to spend on important projects like infrastructure, healthcare, education we'd be so much better off. To get to that point would take electing a party that can take a common sense approach to government here in Ontario ... not happening.

And federally I believe it's around 30-35 billion annually servicing the debt.

Why is it so difficult for people to understand, we're pissing money away while we continue to borrow and yet our important services are crumbling. I'm a no debt person, I carry virtually no debt, I know how much easier life is debt free.

In Ontario I've watched the manufacturing sector crumble and part of that is skyrocketing hydro cost and yes these ridiculous trade deals haven't help, but losing the auto pact was worse. A week doesn't go by without the liberal government giving some corporation money ... yay corporate welfare is alive and well in Ontario

We have a booming green house sector in my area ... a couple weeks back there was a piece in the local paper about three greenhouse operations that wanted to expand here, except there was not enough hydro to expand ... that's the kind of problem I expect in Mexico not Ontario ... these greenhouses expanded in Ohio paying 1/3 less in hydro cost ... I fully expect the greenhouse industry around here to slow and would not be surprised to see some of these operations just move.

No offence ... but this province is run by radical liberals with who the hell knows what their agenda is...

Ooohhh, okay, so a radical liberal is any non-Conservative that does shit you don't like. K.
  • DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,413
    dignin said:

lukin2006 said:

I like what you said.

Seamus O'Regan (federal Liberal), for one. Remember, he didn't go to rehab, but a wellness centre, with Trudeau being quite sympathetic (where he'd shown scorn and a decided lack of sympathy towards Ford).

Interestingly, there's another Liberal MP who's now sitting as an independant after being kicked out of the Liberal caucus, in part because of alcohol abuse (although all sides acknowledge there's more to the story, though they're withholding details).
    http://www.torontosun.com/2016/07/28/hunter-tootoo-in-alleged-sex-scandal-report

Back to Ford, one of his staff just came forward regarding the video wherein Ford "threatened" to kill someone. Turns out it was all hyperbole, with Ford doing a Hulk Hogan impression. At the time the video surfaced it was clear to me this was what it was, though many portrayed it as further criminal behaviour.
    http://www.torontosun.com/2016/07/26/mystery-of-who-rob-ford-threatened-in-video-solved
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
    PJ_Soul said:

Ooohhh, okay, so a radical liberal is any non-Conservative that does shit you don't like. K.

Actually no ... I never said that, would you be happy if I called neo cons radical conservatives .. I'm fine with that...you know I doubt there is a single province or the federal liberals that just got elected are governing with a 50 % mandate, more in the range as here in Ontario with 40% percent mandate of the people who voted, broke down even further it likely under 25% of eligable ... sorry that's not a mandate to push these activist radical agenda ... but hey what hell ... you can continue to believe these useless politician care ...

lukin2006 said:

PJ_Soul said:

Actually no ... I never said that, would you be happy if I called neo cons radical conservatives .. I'm fine with that...you know I doubt there is a single province or the federal liberals that just got elected are governing with a 50 % mandate, more in the range as here in Ontario with 40% percent mandate of the people who voted, broke down even further it likely under 25% of eligable ... sorry that's not a mandate to push these activist radical agenda ... but hey what hell ... you can continue to believe these useless politician care ...
    I would consider neo-cons to be radical conservatives, because of their political ideologies. Not because they might be in power without a 50% mandate. Now you mention an activist radical agenda.... What about their policies are radical? None at all, as far as I can tell. This has absolutely nothing to do with me supporting the Ontario political agenda and I never even hinted that I think they care. FYI, and absolutely DESPISE the BC Liberals... but they aren't radical either. They just fucking suck. It's the same in Ontario. Not radical. Not even close. Just a shitty fucking Provincial Liberal party situation where they aren't doing their jobs properly.
    edited July 2016
    PJ_Soul said:

lukin2006 said:

PJ_Soul said:

I would consider neo-cons to be radical conservatives, because of their political ideologies. Not because they might be in power without a 50% mandate. Now you mention an activist radical agenda.... What about their policies are radical? None at all, as far as I can tell. This has absolutely nothing to do with me supporting the Ontario political agenda and I never even hinted that I think they care. FYI, and absolutely DESPISE the BC Liberals... but they aren't radical either. They just fucking suck. It's the same in Ontario. Not radical. Not even close. Just a shitty fucking Provincial Liberal party situation where they aren't doing their jobs properly.
    Neo-cons, such as myself, are far closer to classic JFK liberalism. Radical liberals are pretty much all those who abandoned those JFK principles and now see American intervention as the root of all evil. We saw many of them boo Panetta last night and chant "no more war". By this definition about 95% of the AMT would be considered to be radical. This percentage creates a bubble however which prevents most from seeing this.
    edited July 2016
    BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:

lukin2006 said:

PJ_Soul said:

Neo-cons, such as myself, are far closer to classic JFK liberalism. Radical liberals are pretty much all those who abandoned those JFK principles and now see American intervention as the root of all evil. We saw many of them boo Panetta last night and chant "no more war". By this definition about 95% of the AMT would be considered to be radical. This percentage creates a bubble however which prevents most from seeing this.
    So in other words, you're just making up a definition for radical liberals out of thin air.
    (and never mind. I was brainfarting when I wrote that. I don't consider neo-cons radical. I for some reason had teapartiers in my head and meant them)
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    edited July 2016
    PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:

lukin2006 said:

PJ_Soul said:

So in other words, you're just making up a definition for radical liberals out of thin air.
    No. I am providing you historical context as to where these terms are rooted. The 60's and the Vietnam war changed the democratic party in to something far more radical then what it was under JFK. The Clinton's changed that following Hillary's health care defeat when they declared the era of big government over. This changed back though after the Iraq war especially after Obama managed to use Hillary's vote against her. The party has now moved so far left that a self identifying socialist almost won the nomination. Hillary Clinton has no choice now but to play along but everybody knows that JFK could never get elected in today's democratic party.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/2013/10/19/would-jfk-never-liberal-still-find-home-democratic-party/ZrxV7lJYHrvWxOjXItAuZJ/story.html
    Post edited by BS44325 on
    edited July 2016
    Democratic Socialist. Not a Socialist. Big difference. And Hillary is so far away from being a radical liberal it's really just a joke that you are attempting to group her in even just by default. Bottom line is that no one on these boards are using the term for any reason other than to mislabel people who are posting.
    PJ_Soul said:

Democratic Socialist. Not a Socialist. Big difference. And Hillary is so far away from being a radical liberal it's really just a joke that you are attempting to group her in even just by default. Bottom line is that no one on these boards are using the term for any reason other than to mislabel people who are posting.

I agree with you on Hillary...like I said she is just playing along for the purpose of getting her base to vote for her. She is far more likely to be an interventionalist hawk in my mind and she will approve TPP etc. I disagree with you on the socialist bit though. A democratic socialist is just a socialist who hasn't reached his/her final destination yet. With time their policies always get them there. The only question is how fast.
  • PJ_Soul said:

And until everyone on the boards agree to this will be kept shouting louder and louder!
    PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:

lukin2006 said:

PJ_Soul said:

(and never mind. I was brainfarting when I wrote that. I don't consider neo-cons radical. I for some reason had teapartiers in my head and meant them)
    Your edit is still incorrect as "tea partiers" are not radical either. If any thing they are less so. They are small government voters who are concerned about spending and the debt. They are not specific about foreign policy or social issues. All though you can find hawks and social conservatives within the tea party movement. To bring this topic back to it's roots...Rob Ford is the original "tea partier". Small government conservative focusing on spending.
    If you deny that teapartiers are radical, then you just can't claim that the ones you're calling radical are.
    PJ_Soul said:

If you deny that teapartiers are radical, then you just can't claim that the ones you're calling radical are.

I get why you would think small government conservatives who are primarily concerned with spending and deficits are radical but that is just not the case.
    BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:

I get why you would think small government conservatives who are primarily concerned with spending and deficits are radical but that is just not the case.
    That is absolutely NOT all that teapartiers are generally about.