Youth sports

Comments

• MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    ^^^ lol, thats incredible.

Yet to see an actual fight.  We almost had one in the lobby at hockey.  We have a ton of tension/cliques on our team.  We had a chinese auction table set up and someone's daughter was working it and waving around money.  Another mom is a teacher and used to speaking sternly to kids told her abruptly to put the money down/away.  The parents of the girl came at the mom really hard and everyone was yelling at each other in this lobby with all the other parents and people from the other team.  I hid in a dark corner.
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    I have not yet got into a fight at a rink, but I fully expect to at nearly every game.

I mentioned that I moved to ice level so that I don't have to deal with the other parents, but when I do hear them yell something deplorable at a child on the ice, I cannot let that slide.

Pretty sure someone will sucker punch me in a parking lot someday.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,624

The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

• Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
    dankind said:
    I have not yet got into a fight at a rink, but I fully expect to at nearly every game.

I mentioned that I moved to ice level so that I don't have to deal with the other parents, but when I do hear them yell something deplorable at a child on the ice, I cannot let that slide.

I remember being at a hockey game once and playing a tough team.  My son was probably 13-14 at the time.

I tended to hang out at the top of the bleachers to watch and stay away from the other parents.

After one of the periods the teams were leaving the ice and walking behind the bleachers to the locker rooms. One of the moms on our team ran up the bleachers right next to me and starting yelling at the opposing team....I mean screaming....about "learn to play fair" and other shit.  I was embarrassed as hell because anyone looking probably thought she was with me. THe kids were all yelling back at her...quite a scene.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    dankind said:

I remember being at a hockey game once and playing a tough team.  My son was probably 13-14 at the time.

I tended to hang out at the top of the bleachers to watch and stay away from the other parents.

After one of the periods the teams were leaving the ice and walking behind the bleachers to the locker rooms. One of the moms on our team ran up the bleachers right next to me and starting yelling at the opposing team....I mean screaming....about "learn to play fair" and other shit.  I was embarrassed as hell because anyone looking probably thought she was with me. THe kids were all yelling back at her...quite a scene.
    Yeah, when our team's group of deplorable parents start insulting the opposing team's players (read: children!), that's when I start rooting LOUDLY for the opposing team and particularly the players that our team's group of deplorable parents are insulting.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    My son's coach cancelled a tournament (either they lost our money or missed a deadline) this weekend and also their practices.  This was a huge weekend for hockey locally, there were multiple tournaments.  We had nothing for 5 days which is unheard of for the first weekend of February.

I found out coach secretly entered a team in an outdoor event yesterday with his favorite players.  
    edited February 2022
    MayDay10 said:
    My son's coach cancelled a tournament (either they lost our money or missed a deadline) this weekend and also their practices.  This was a huge weekend for hockey locally, there were multiple tournaments.  We had nothing for 5 days which is unheard of for the first weekend of February.

I found out coach secretly entered a team in an outdoor event yesterday with his favorite players.  
    wow....crazy shit

Soccer story: I had mentioned before the team that my son played that was stacked where the "my fists are like 357 magnums" comment was made. Two of the players on that aggressive team were twins. Those twins were on our travel team a few years later. This was probably U11 or U12. My wife was the manager of the team and we had a tournament coming up. The twins were also involved in basketball and their Dad (we had become friends with their Mom and Dad through this team...hanging out together during travel weekends, drinking beers, etc.) had told my wife and the coach that the twins would not be able to make the soccer tournament because they had a basketball commitment. The coach asked my wife to seek out a few players from the B team to join us that weekend. There were a few kids on the B team that were better than more than a few of our players and definitely better than the twins. The twins were good aggressive players but they were small for their age. 

About a week before the soccer tourney the twins' Dad said that they WOULD be able to come. So...come tourney time their playing time suffered because the coach was clearly irritated that they said they wouldn't be there and gave a back seat to soccer over basketball. Plus...when you ask other kids to join you have to give them playing time otherwise it's a wasted trip for them.

THe parents were furious and never talked to us again. It was like we had never met before. Really fucking weird and no fault of my wife or me.

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    edited February 2022
    That's strange.  We have a really dysfunctional parent dynamic on my kid's current team.  It definitely has some sort of high school element to it.  

From the get-go, the coach and the manager had their kids set up as a 1st line, (even had the practice jerseys handed out before the 1st practice color-coordinated by lines), and maybe expected to fill in the rest under them with a good team.  My kid was probably better to start and far exceeded them and it has created a real air of jealousy and hard feelings.  Especially since its clear we are going to a different program.  Some parents Im cool with and we have kind of a group, some of us drink beers at the games.  Others, it is just plain icy and I get dirty looks and they wont say a word to me.

Post edited by MayDay10 on
    So my kid's baseball team... ugh.

I have noticed a little dissention between a few of the moms and one of the (6) coaches.  I stay far away from it.  They are a good team, probably 2nd or 3rd best 9u team in the area.

I got a call Friday from one of the coaches that the team is disbanding.

So I start talking to a few parents I am really friendly with.

It turns out there was a tryout last week for another team.  11 or the 12 kids were there (my son being the 1).  Sounds like it was kind of like a domino-effect and FOMO on everyone's part.  Some of the (6!) coaches werent getting along.  7 Of our kids made that team including 5 of the coaches' kids.  The 'dissenting' parents' kids made the team too and they are all stuck together.  WTF!?

We still have playoffs and 2 tournaments remaining as well.  Also now we are cast into trying to find a new team.  We are going to be away for vacation during the bulk of the tryouts.

Awful.  Youth baseball is a snake pit around here.
    Yeah. My son wants to try out for an elite team, but I kind of dig our town's laidback little league. I think him being on a few our town's summer tourney travel teams that get creamed all the time has him searching for better coaching, not just parent coaches, of which I am one. 

I try to tell him that it's just because all the other teams actually practice for these summer tourneys whereas we just show up to the games. I mean, it's summer. A lot of kids go on vacation with their families. And even if they don't, we're a seaside town where it's winter nine months of the year; we're not going to waste a nice summer day not at the beach if we're here. Everybody is better with practice during the regular season and travel fall ball, when we're all willing to practice again.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,450
    I am glad that travelling teams didn't really get started until my kids were finishing youth sports. Constant travel, huge expenses, overbearing Moms and Dads convinced that their kid will be the next major league rookie of the year. I have friends who deal with it and the stories they share are insane.  
    last night I learned of another really good team splitting up.  Definitely because of parents.  Half of them started their own new team.

It is really like a caricature at this point. On the local youth baseball facebook page, teams are literally popping up out of nowhere "Velocity Baseball", "Rawlings Tigers", the "Rake", "Aces", "Inferno Baseball", "Thunderwolves", etc.  I feel like each kid can have their own team at this point.  Everything is becoming de-coupled with the towns.

Its nuts because our area's baseball season is so short, and it is a secondary sport.  There are very few players who come out of here and become MLB or even D1.

This is the third season in a row to end in some sort of horrible drama.  And my kid is only 9

• cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    I am glad that travelling teams didn't really get started until my kids were finishing youth sports. Constant travel, huge expenses, overbearing Moms and Dads convinced that their kid will be the next major league rookie of the year. I have friends who deal with it and the stories they share are insane.  
    Travel ball Killed/killing Local Leagues.

LESS kids are playing sports if they're not good enough(or like you pointed out: Can't afford it) for Travel Teams.
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,625
    Parents ruin sports for kids. It is pretty sad to see. It happened to me with my father and coaches I had and I see it happening now to kids in non competitive sports my kids are playing in.

My son plays the lowest level league in our area for U8 baseball. It is his first year swinging a bat and catching a ball. I help coach when the other helping coaches are not around. He is having a lot of fun and I am happy he is playing ball and soccer this year rather than just soccer. 

That said the amount of lying, and cheating from the other teams has almost got me to a breaking point of saying something. Whether it is about the score, how many strikes there are, how many outs, the list goes on. What I saw at his last game there is only one word for the other teams coaches and that word is pathetic. I don't want to get involved and speak up and take over the game but I also do not want my kid who knows there are 3 outs as do all of the other fans and players and for the inning not to end due to a coach worried his teams precious undefeated streak is going to end. Pathetic and comical actually. 
  • jhager79jhager79 Kitchener Ontario Posts: 234
    Just finished my 1st year as coach in kids baseball in Ontario. First year coaching anything actually, signed up to help but was only one so was coach. Everything was better than expected with parents, only problem was with the lack of communication with the league conveners. Treat everyone fairly and make sure the kids are having fun.
    [img][/img]Kitchener2005
    Toronto 2003
    Toronto 2000
    Barrie 1998
    Toronto 1993
    London 2005

Toronto 2006 May 9/10
    Toronto 2009
    Toronto Sept 11/12 2011
    London 2013
    Detroit 2014
    Toronto 2016 May 10/12
    Chicago 2018 N2
    "No matter how cold the winter, there's a springtime ahead"
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    dankind said:

Where you at?  I can oblige. B)
    edited August 2022
    My son decided that he no longer wishes to pay a sizable fee to hang out with white supremacists all winter play hockey. I am so fucking over the goddamn moon right now.

He better not change his fucking mind.
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • JK_Livin said:
    So my son is trying to make the 11yr old baseball district (A) team for our town. As a 9yr old he was on the A team. As a 10yr old he dropped to the B team. I do not get along with one of the coaches on this team my son is trying to make. He did some shady stuff to get his son moved up the chain and he's not a very good coach to begin with. This is all public knowledge within the community.

For the rec season, I requested that my son would not play for this guy. I haven't spoken to this guy in a year. He comes up to me at my son's game yesterday and asks me if it's true that I wouldn't let my son play for him. I said very calmly and civilly that may be the case and you should pick your team and we'll make our decision. He tells me not to be an asshole. I was laughing on the inside. The convo kind of trailed off because my daughter came up.

He's also on the board of our baseball league and probably got the information about our coaching request through someone else on the board. My question is, why would he come to me and ask me that question when he knows the answer already?

For the record, the only reason I'd want my kid on the A team is because he wants it. He is well aware that he will have more fun and get more playing time on the B team.

I guess I could have more serious issues to worry about but the politics of youth sports is nasty.
    It's definitely interesting. Conversely, we chose our team this year to avoid both problem kids and parents. Passed over more talented kids for the players who listened and got along with each other. It was a great season. The horror stories the coaches on the other team would tell me were unbelievable. 

Parents are always worse than the kids to deal with. 
    My kid's hockey team this year was a nightmare.

I can honestly write 10's of thousands of words with anecdotes and all sorts of bizarre shit.  My wife and I continue to unpack stuff and vent nearly on a daily basis.

In short, On December 1st, 7 skaters on the team tried to overthrow the coach and ended up quitting.  That left us with 7 skaters and a skeleton of the team.  To make things worse, most of the remaining people got super greedy and cut-throat as hell.  It was 3 months of awfulness for us and our son.  It was all jarring to see the behavior of these people.  They all think their kids are going to the NHL, and all these moves they make to climb over people by one inch are going to increase the signing-bonus.  These kids are/were 8 and 9.

So we decided to leave the AAA-level for now to get away from these types of people.  We went back to my son's 1st organization.  The same people and coaches are there.  Good people and to-date they haven't had drama.  He is probably playing down a level, but my son should really thrive there and have a lot of success and fun.  He was really excited to join these kids again.

If nothing else, this experience really was eye opening for me.  I was also on the train that my kid needs to keep playing and climbing and needs to make elite spring teams, feeling pressure, etc.   That is all a giant joke with kids this age.  These people are doing emotional, mental, and social damage to their kids with all this shit.  For what?  
    My son was the best player on their team this year, and I think I'm the only one who didn't post on social media pretending my kid is an NHL prospect and make-believing he is playing in games that matter.

So from now on, it is about fun and friends.  If he is 13+ and he is looking like he has something special, then (if he wants to), we can explore something more.  At that point, at high levels, you have paid coaches as opposed to parent volunteers.
    ^^^It sounds like you made the right move^^^

Good luck in the future. 
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,589
    For sure, right move

Got roped into coaching soccer again this year.
    First game and I wanted to slap the other team's coaches.  They knew nothing about the rules and let a few terrors run wild.  The refs stopped the game 5 times to warn kids
      At u9/10 boys level.  :lol:   

Our kids were pissed but had the right approach.  Worse, we lost on two easy goals and so the fuckhole coaches thought they did a good job.
    Embarrassing.
    Their kid is a giant asshole, even at 10, and the parents are the ones grooming him for this.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
    MayDay10 said:
    My kid's hockey team this year was a nightmare.

I can honestly write 10's of thousands of words with anecdotes and all sorts of bizarre shit.  My wife and I continue to unpack stuff and vent nearly on a daily basis.

In short, On December 1st, 7 skaters on the team tried to overthrow the coach and ended up quitting.  That left us with 7 skaters and a skeleton of the team.  To make things worse, most of the remaining people got super greedy and cut-throat as hell.  It was 3 months of awfulness for us and our son.  It was all jarring to see the behavior of these people.  They all think their kids are going to the NHL, and all these moves they make to climb over people by one inch are going to increase the signing-bonus.  These kids are/were 8 and 9.

So we decided to leave the AAA-level for now to get away from these types of people.  We went back to my son's 1st organization.  The same people and coaches are there.  Good people and to-date they haven't had drama.  He is probably playing down a level, but my son should really thrive there and have a lot of success and fun.  He was really excited to join these kids again.

If nothing else, this experience really was eye opening for me.  I was also on the train that my kid needs to keep playing and climbing and needs to make elite spring teams, feeling pressure, etc.   That is all a giant joke with kids this age.  These people are doing emotional, mental, and social damage to their kids with all this shit.  For what?  
    My son was the best player on their team this year, and I think I'm the only one who didn't post on social media pretending my kid is an NHL prospect and make-believing he is playing in games that matter.

So from now on, it is about fun and friends.  If he is 13+ and he is looking like he has something special, then (if he wants to), we can explore something more.  At that point, at high levels, you have paid coaches as opposed to parent volunteers.
    definitely a good move....I went through all that shit with soccer and I don't think any teammate of my son or daughter even played four years of soccer in college. No full rides, a couple partial scholarships though. 

My son's former coach's son is Eriq Zavaleta. He definitely made it work but he was always a super star and not the least bit arrogant. Great kid. He would practice with my son's team a lot.

One of my daughter's classmates got an offer to play at a fucking community college in Illinois and she went there. I think she stayed two years and left. Not sure if she ever got a degree or not. What was the fucking point of that?

• Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    For sure, right move

First game and I wanted to slap the other team's coaches.  They knew nothing about the rules and let a few terrors run wild.  The refs stopped the game 5 times to warn kids

Our kids were pissed but had the right approach.  Worse, we lost on two easy goals and so the fuckhole coaches thought they did a good job.
    Embarrassing.
    Their kid is a giant asshole, even at 10, and the parents are the ones grooming him for this.

Just finished coaching basketball for 5-6 year old kindergarteners.  It wasn't as extreme as some of the things on this thread but you can already see it with some of the parents.  Some coaches and parents screaming like crazy about rebounding, passing and boxing out.  These kids can't even tie their fucking shoes yet.  I love watching my son play but I am not looking forward to dealing with all of the nonsense that comes along with it.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,589
    For sure, right move

Embarrassing.

Just finished coaching basketball for 5-6 year old kindergarteners.  It wasn't as extreme as some of the things on this thread but you can already see it with some of the parents.  Some coaches and parents screaming like crazy about rebounding, passing and boxing out.  These kids can't even tie their fucking shoes yet.  I love watching my son play but I am not looking forward to dealing with all of the nonsense that comes along with it.
    Yeah, it is a sign of the times.
    Back in the olden days when I was playing you always had one kid who had super parent(s).  Seemed that was about it.  Maybe two.
    (High school baseball team we had 2.)

Everyone else played all sports year round and were normal kids....parents dropped off at practice and cheered for everyone during games.  

Now the parents almost all stay for practice and there seem to be half super parents....at least in baseball.  Soccer is probably a third.

The coaches I referenced are not even knowledgeable about the sport....but they let their kid do whatever he wants.  I would haul my son off the pitch by his ear if he did/said the things their kid said.
    What did they do?
    "Keep hustling Alex, don't worry about it!"

Umm, your kid is a jerk and it is mostly because of you!

There is a huge sense of entitlement among the parents.  I'm not sure if it is a generational thing?  And/or a need to flaunt stuff on social media pretending your kid is a prodigy playing on 'elite' teams and going pro?

Where we were, it was a pretty high level of hockey for 9 year olds.  All the kids showed likely glimpses of really good at their respective organizations when they were 5, 6, 7, 8... playing with/against instructional kids who may not be able/care.   There is some sort of expectation that comes with that.  I remember my kid used to score like 15 goals in a game, hurt multiple goalies with his shot, and get sent an age group older.  That felt good to see him dominating.  People are mistaking that with translating throughout to their NHL draft day.

Now they are on a harder level and "Mason" suddenly has 1 goal in 25 games and it is surely the coach's fault. Cant post about that on Facebook.  Need to pull a Ceasar/Game of Thrones-level coup against the coach and other parents so Mason can be the 2nd line center.
    In our area it is hard to find referees. Fewer young people want to do it because they don't like getting yelled at by parents all the time. 

It seems like parents go through a learning curve. I was probably yelling more at first and then realized that I sounded like a moron and ended up being pretty quiet on the sidelines. My one daughter used to tell me to shut up while she was on the field so that helped.

Haha.  Crazy.
    I tend to be active on the sidelines.  When coaching or watching I am constantly encouraging all of the kids on the team.  
    I'm sure my son will tell me to pipe down some day but for now the kids like it.

In our area it is hard to find referees. Fewer young people want to do it because they don't like getting yelled at by parents all the time. 

It seems like parents go through a learning curve. I was probably yelling more at first and then realized that I sounded like a moron and ended up being pretty quiet on the sidelines. My one daughter used to tell me to shut up while she was on the field so that helped.
    Yes, finding Refs are a BIG problem. I know a High School Basketball assigner in my area and he says it's getting more difficult every Season to field enough Refs for games. Refs don't want to put up with the shit and I don't blame them. I told him even in my prime I would never want to ref and you couldn't pay me enough to Ref. I was at a HS Boys game last week and the parents for the losing team were up and screaming at just about every call against them even when they were down by OVER 30 points! MOST of the calls were correct calls from where I was sitting but they still bitched at even the OBVIOUS calls. I was at another game where this guy sitting next me was BITCHING all game and I told him they're taking applications. My friend who was with me laughed when I told him that>LOL. I go to these games with no skin in the game so when I see this shit I notice it. I do a lot of shaking my head at these so-called adults.
    Yeah three of my kids were refs and they could have made a killing but they were all done with it. 

I like to think that I would just start tossing people but that can get out of hand real quick. I honestly don't know how I would react to people screaming at me all the time. 

Yeah three of my kids were refs and they could have made a killing but they were all done with it. 

I like to think that I would just start tossing people but that can get out of hand real quick. I honestly don't know how I would react to people screaming at me all the time. 
    Yeah I wouldn't want my teenager to toss Cleetus (who has no memories or worth beyond his own high school career, aside from perhaps sweating on his poor wife to create the kids he is there rooting on) and then have to deal with Cleetus after the game.

People are fd right now.