Options

***What's growing? The official garden thread***

Comments

• Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 12,070
    They look great quality.  Mine were shit.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    They look great quality.  Mine were shit.
    They start rotting before they finish growing no matter what I do in my clay soil 😠
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options

• Options
    rgambs said:

Amazing
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,991
    rgambs said:

Nice. Are you canning those as well. I see marinara sauce when I look at that pile of tomatoey goodness.

• Options
    Beautiful 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    hot.. too hot here
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    GlowGirl said:
    rgambs said:

Nice. Are you canning those as well. I see marinara sauce when I look at that pile of tomatoey goodness.

Yeah, I'll finish cooking them down and can them up probably this afternoon. 
    Eh, marinara/spaghetti sauce is overrated with garden fresh tomatoes. 
    If you do the "light cook" for a fresher northern Italian style, you just end up with less flavor and a plate covered in tomato water when you're finished.
    If you cook it down into a thick Sicilian or American style sauce, you end up with a sauce that is usually very sweet...great for pizza sauce, but too sweet for pasta dinner, IMO.
    Mostly I just cook it down without any added ingredients, and use the tomato sauce for various recipes throughout the year.  Stuffed peppers, chili, pizza sauce, veggie soup, bacon/cheese spaghetti, sloppy joes mostly.
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    GlowGirl said:
    rgambs said:

If you do the "light cook" for a fresher northern Italian style, you just end up with less flavor and a plate covered in tomato water when you're finished.
    If you cook it down into a thick Sicilian or American style sauce, you end up with a sauce that is usually very sweet...great for pizza sauce, but too sweet for pasta dinner, IMO.
    Mostly I just cook it down without any added ingredients, and use the tomato sauce for various recipes throughout the year.  Stuffed peppers, chili, pizza sauce, veggie soup, bacon/cheese spaghetti, sloppy joes mostly.
    Thanks for the info. I didn't know that about garden fresh tomatoes. I have never made my own sauce - so that is good to know. Sloppy Joe's sound great. I haven't had one in years. Enjoy the tomatoes.

• Options
    GlowGirl said:
    rgambs said:
    GlowGirl said:
    rgambs said:

Thanks for the info. I didn't know that about garden fresh tomatoes. I have never made my own sauce - so that is good to know. Sloppy Joe's sound great. I haven't had one in years. Enjoy the tomatoes.

There are surely people who disagree with me on that lol
    Northern Italian pasta is basically just warmed tomatoes on pasta.  I don't care for it at all, I think it's bland and not a good use of either tomatoes or pasta, but plenty of people do.
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    Cooking tomatoes down takes forever and when making a thick sauce, what you start with and what you end with are quite different.  I usually start the process in the crock-pot with the lid tipped open for a day or two, continuing to add as I go.  A potful of tomatoes usually cooks down to maybe a pint or two.  Great stuff though.  
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    deadendp said:
    Cooking tomatoes down takes forever and when making a thick sauce, what you start with and what you end with are quite different.  I usually start the process in the crock-pot with the lid tipped open for a day or two, continuing to add as I go.  A potful of tomatoes usually cooks down to maybe a pint or two.  Great stuff though.  
    I use a big pot lol 
    I usually thicken down to about the same as a can of grocery store tomato sauce, and then go further when it comes to recipe time.
  • Options

The garden haul today. The butternut needs to still ripen a bit. But....picking dinner. Great stuff! 
  • Options
    The bird gifts...

What appears to be a standard round grocery tomato, micro toms and pear tomatoes. I didn't plant any of these, but we really do try to embrace as many volunteers as we can. 
  • Options
    They all just turned up?
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    They all just turned up?
    Yup. I knew volunteer tomato plants popped up and left them. If I have room, I leave them ramble. 
  • Options

Took a couple days to get them dehydrated...
    I shouldn't still be surprised at the low quality of commercially produced food, but here I am again marveling at home good something like onion flakes/powder can be.  So sugary sweet and onion-y that I wonder what in the fuck kind of onions McCormick isuis or how old they are.
  • Options
    West Coast DreamgirlWest Coast Dreamgirl Posts: 1,819
    edited August 2020
    deadendp said:
    The bird gifts...

What appears to be a standard round grocery tomato, micro toms and pear tomatoes. I didn't plant any of these, but we really do try to embrace as many volunteers as we can. 
    Looking good @deadendp I gave my first tomato of the season to our local homeless guy who gave me the baby tomato plant x
  • Options
    Disaster has struck . My whole  plot is flooded.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options

brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    Sorry to see that, but how cute is your little girl!
  • Options
    Oh no. I am so sorry. I know you have been working hard there all summer. I don’t know anything about gardening - is this at all salvageable?
  • Options
    Im not sure we arw forecast rain all week si in guess its all gone i hope the fucking mole died on his sword is the only positive. Nature killed him not me.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    look in b+w looks very spooky. Pandemic.  Flood. Ooooo
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    Oh, Rob. I am so sorry. You might have some things come through okay if it drains relatively soon. The zucchini might not make it though. (Corgettes, maybe? Might have that wrong.)

Just rainwater, right? No sewage? 

How heartbreaking. Your place of solace. :frowning:
  • Options

The monster tomato that I just picked. 
  • Options
    deadendp said:
    Oh, Rob. I am so sorry. You might have some things come through okay if it drains relatively soon. The zucchini might not make it though. (Corgettes, maybe? Might have that wrong.)

Just rainwater, right? No sewage? 

How heartbreaking. Your place of solace. :frowning:
    Rain is forecst for another week and this is heavy rain
     The water is clean river water but i dont know whats in it i guess  . Big time  ruined. I may have   few peppers high up in a green  house. But can't  even get to my stuff. Im gonna  walk in i think today get wet and see. But i haven't  been at all well and in a way its the end.  A relief . But  a negative  as its the only place i went. And my daughter has lost ll her toys  there she had a fairy  garden we set up now thats all washed away. I feel very very low and this is just typical. 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    That is a big time bummer, something always fails around here too.  I haven't had any beets since '18 and, despite daily watering, it looks like my fall attempt is all for naught as well.  
  • Options
    deadendp said:

The monster tomato that I just picked. 
    @deadendp Imagine making a Greek salad with that!
    @lastexitlondon Your daughter's fairy garden :_( Good luck wading through it today.
  • Options
    The water level is just up to my shorts. I saved the  fairy garden like a hero. My bench had the  garden on and lifted like a raft with it all on. Lucky. I saved 4 cucumbers  and my peppers but sadly the rest maybe gone. With exception of the greens.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07