Options

Corned Beef and Cabbage

Comments

• Options
    jlaustinjlaustin Ann Arbor, MI Posts: 2,355
    Just finished ours... I'm very sleepy now! We'll have leftovers for a few days - Yum!
    2013 Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 Cincy, Detroit, Moline, & Milwaukee
    2015 Central Park
    2016 Lexington, Ottawa, Toronto 1 & 2, Boston 1 & 2, Chicago 1 & 2
    2017 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    2018 Seattle 1 & 2, Missoula, Chicago 1

• Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,122
    I'm gonna have some tomorrow and the rest of the week.....gotta keep the Irish side me alive.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,751
    My wife loves the stuff. Well, ok, so she isn't perfect. :)) I'm 1/4 Irish and give me the Jameson but forget the Corned Beef and Cabbage. We hosted game day at our house today (Pictionary, Apples to Apples, etc.) so she wanted to fix Corned Beef and Cabbage and I said, "OK but please, lets at least get the no nitrate, no nitrite kind", only the pepper corns and spices were not in a bag like usual and the spiciness was overpowering.

=; [-(

I'm going vegi the rest of the week!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    oysterjaroysterjar NH Posts: 1,235
    Just started Corned beef, turnip and potatoes in the crock pot. I am taking 2 lbs. of corned beef and I am going to slow broil tht all afternoon as well.. Sautee some cabbage a half hour before dinner and we'll be good to go.

Wind this thing up.

• Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,806
    Its that time of the year.
    I love it!

Saturday I feast!

Corned Beef
    Red Potatoes
    Cabbage
    Carrots
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    Saturday is a little early, isn't it? Corned beef on Tuesday?

Have fun feasting! =)
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    It's for the birds!
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,419
    More of a shepherd's pie person myself. And I can make a mean one!
  • Options
    oceaninmyeyesoceaninmyeyes Posts: 4,646
    I bought the corned beef today. Last year I waited too long and had to go to a couple different stores to find one.
    And the sun it may be shining . . . but there's an ocean in my eyes
  • Options
    shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,783

I bought the corned beef today. Last year I waited too long and had to go to a couple different stores to find one.

That will be me. Always the procrastinator.
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • Options
    i_lov_iti_lov_it Perth, Western Australia Posts: 4,007
    edited March 2015

Corned Beef

Cabbage

Potatoes

Carrots

Gonna be a Big Weekend!

:lol:" alt=":lol:" /> :lol:" alt=":lol:" /> :lol:" alt=":lol:" />

You make me sick! haha
  • Options
    So I am trying something different this year. Everything is now sitting in the crock pot. Going to slow cook my corned beef, carrots, and potatoes for 5 hours. I am supposed to add the cabbage later, but I don't think there will be enough room in the crock pot. Guess I will do the cabbage separately.

Lets see if Martha Stewart knows what the hell she is talking about. HA
  • Options
    QuarterToTenQuarterToTen Cincinnati, Ohio Posts: 3,626
    edited March 2015
    Easiest most delicious cabbage you'll ever eat, because yep, Martha definitely knows :)

http://www.marthastewart.com/315062/roasted-cabbage-wedges
    Nice shirt.
  • Options

Easiest most delicious cabbage you'll ever eat, because yep, Martha definitely knows :)

http://www.marthastewart.com/315062/roasted-cabbage-wedges

I may roast some, just to try it. Since I have plenty of cabbage.
    But Not for this recipe.
    Roasted cabbage with waterlogged corned beef, just doesn't seem appealing to me. HA!

• Options
    QuarterToTenQuarterToTen Cincinnati, Ohio Posts: 3,626
    Roasting cabbage will change your life, it takes it to a whole new level of sweetness, all of the vitamins aren't boiled away and the crunchy edges are...!

Purple cabbage is even better roasted. I absolutely love it.

Nice shirt.
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    edited March 2015
    I am not familiar with the cabbage and corned beef dish at all, how is the cabbage usually prepared? Do people put caraway seeds in there here?

I made roasted cabbage wedges before and loved them. But I am a cabbage person. Brussel sprout (has these halved and roasted the other day - drooool), sauerkraut, red cabbage, kale - I'm in. QuarterToTen - sprinkle some balsamic vinegar on top of the red cabbage, it's quite amazing :smiley:
    I hope everything turns out as planned, Speedy!
  • Options
    Got my corned beef. Now to get the veggies. Crock pot is a great way to do this meal but my crock pot isn't big enough either
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255

More of a shepherd's pie person myself. And I can make a mean one!

Damn, I love shepherds pie
  • Options

Got my corned beef. Now to get the veggies. Crock pot is a great way to do this meal but my crock pot isn't big enough either

My girl made this for me once in a slow cooker and the house smelled for like a week. She never made it before so she didn't know of the smell that was gonna form. She was pissed, but not me. Hahaha.
  • Options

So I am trying something different this year. Everything is now sitting in the crock pot. Going to slow cook my corned beef, carrots, and potatoes for 5 hours. I am supposed to add the cabbage later, but I don't think there will be enough room in the crock pot. Guess I will do the cabbage separately.

I made mine in the crock-pot on Friday. I used full sized carrots on the bottom to lift the corned beef up off the bottom of the crock. I laid semi-thin rounds of cabbage (it was a small head) on top of the carrots, ground a little salt & pepper on top, laid the corned beef on that (fat side up), sprinkled the packet of seasoning, did the cabbage rounds again with S&P, placed washed red skins on that, put about a cup of water at the bottom, rocked it on low for 8 hours and it was the most fabulous corned beef I've ever had. How was the cabbage? Delicious. I ate all of it, too.

And yes, Nart, my house did stink. I was burning candles and threw the windows open. There was a breeze. We turned the heat off and went with it. There is still just a little remnant of the smell around, but it's tolerable. It now doesn't smell like a rotting garbage can in my house.
  • Options
    deadendp said:

I made mine in the crock-pot on Friday. I used full sized carrots on the bottom to lift the corned beef up off the bottom of the crock. I laid semi-thin rounds of cabbage (it was a small head) on top of the carrots, ground a little salt & pepper on top, laid the corned beef on that (fat side up), sprinkled the packet of seasoning, did the cabbage rounds again with S&P, placed washed red skins on that, put about a cup of water at the bottom, rocked it on low for 8 hours and it was the most fabulous corned beef I've ever had. How was the cabbage? Delicious. I ate all of it, too.

And yes, Nart, my house did stink. I was burning candles and threw the windows open. There was a breeze. We turned the heat off and went with it. There is still just a little remnant of the smell around, but it's tolerable. It now doesn't smell like a rotting garbage can in my house.
    Martha Stewart told me to line the bottom of my crock pot with potatoes, then I threw in 2 stalks of celery, a chopped up onion, and my carrots. I skipped the seasoning packet and I also skipped the garlic. I put the corned beef on top of the veggies, fat side up, and I am cooking for 4 1/4 hours. Like I said I will probably cook most of the cabbage separate.
  • Options
    Now I want some.
  • Options

deadendp said:

Martha Stewart told me to line the bottom of my crock pot with potatoes, then I threw in 2 stalks of celery, a chopped up onion, and my carrots. I skipped the seasoning packet and I also skipped the garlic. I put the corned beef on top of the veggies, fat side up, and I am cooking for 4 1/4 hours. Like I said I will probably cook most of the cabbage separate.
    Corned beef could have maybe cooked a little longer, but I pulled it all out. My veggies were at that point where they were going to turn to mush. All in all it turned out good. Not Great, but very good.
  • Options
    badbrains said:

My girl made this for me once in a slow cooker and the house smelled for like a week. She never made it before so she didn't know of the smell that was gonna form. She was pissed, but not me. Hahaha.
    Yeah that smell hangs for a while. One way or the other. image:giggle:
  • Options
    deadendp said:

Now I kind of want to try the crock pot. But, just maybe, I will plug it in in the garage. :lol:
  • Options

badbrains said:

Yeah that smell hangs for a while. One way or the other. image:giggle:
    Hahahaha, yes it does indeed
  • Options

deadendp said:

Now I kind of want to try the crock pot. But, just maybe, I will plug it in in the garage. :lol:
    Plugging it in the garage is not a bad idea! I just don't have a garage, but I suppose that I could have plugged it in on the back step. I probably would have been drawing the neighbors from around the neighborhood with plate and fork in hand! :)

I now have the Cruciferous Vegetable episode of Big Bang Theory running through my head. Oh, one of my favorites!
  • Options
    deadendp said:

deadendp said:

Plugging it in the garage is not a bad idea! I just don't have a garage, but I suppose that I could have plugged it in on the back step. I probably would have been drawing the neighbors from around the neighborhood with plate and fork in hand! :)

I now have the Cruciferous Vegetable episode of Big Bang Theory running through my head. Oh, one of my favorites!
    I'd be knocking on the door for some no doubt.
  • Options
    It was delicious! Sauteed the leftover corned beef and potatoes with a little onion this morning for hash with over easy eggs on top.

Every patient I visited yesterday (home care) was cooking their cabbage and corned beef. I smelled that smell all day long.
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    9/26/15 New York City
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • Options

It was delicious! Sauteed the leftover corned beef and potatoes with a little onion this morning for hash with over easy eggs on top.

Every patient I visited yesterday (home care) was cooking their cabbage and corned beef. I smelled that smell all day long.

And I didn't get any? Thanks Jen. I appreciate it very much. Haha