Options

Eating Paleo

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,670
    Chadwick: thanks for mentioning chia seeds. Just got me some today!

I've read a bit this morning about fermented food and how good it is for you so I also bought a got a jar of raw sauerkraut made with Himilayan sea salt, basil, ginger and active cultures and processed at low temperature . Man, that stuff is killer!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    http://paleomg.com/almost-5-ingredient-pizza-spaghetti-pie/

Had this last night, it was really good. I don't do fennel or caraway seeds so we subbed in pork breakfast sausage.
  • Options
    ShawshankShawshank Posts: 1,018
    You guys are def having great results. I just could not cut out anything from my diet. I knew it would be a mental block for me and I didn't want to "feel" like I was dieting. I freaking LOVE bread...and I have gotten to a point where I make the best bread I've ever had in my entire life haha so it's hard to cut that out. So far...going on a year now, I've found that moderation,, a high protein intake and keeping a steady schedule of fast walking is the magic bullet for me. I keep losing slowly and steadily without even trying. I had been as high as 238 and averaged around 230 for tge last 20 years. I'm 192 this morning. I was 185 in high school when I played soccer.

It's so weird, you don't realize how much you've lost until you get new clothes. I always wore 36's or 38's in pants and usually an XL or XXL shirt. Now I wear 32's comfortably and anywhere from a Med to at most a Large shirt.
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    unsung said:

Had this last night, it was really good. I don't do fennel or caraway seeds so we subbed in pork breakfast sausage.

I'm def going to rock this.Thanks Unsung
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,177
    unsung said:

Mix it up a little.

Try this coffee drinkers.

Find yourself an organic coffee bean.

Grind it and brew a cup.

Mix in Kerrygold grassfed butter, a decent pat. Add 1tbsp MCT oil. Shake. Serve.

Enjoy the enlightenment.

bulletproof coffee?
    I need to try it

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• Options
    shortstackshortstack Posts: 2,339
    i have yet to read this thread.... i'm short on time lately

i've been looking for live kefir grains, but i am afraid to just buy them online
    anyone have experience with them or kombucha?
    did you see me? i saw you.
  • Options
    unsung said:

Made this yesterday.Taste was great and it sorta held its form.A tad to liquidy.What did you find?Im looking for that egg bake look but got slightly looser.
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    I added some garlic and an extra egg. It held up pretty well. Maybe cook it a bit longer?
  • Options

i've been looking for live kefir grains, but i am afraid to just buy them online

I looked at kombucha in our food co-op and it looked interesting but super pricey. Is it worth the cost?

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    i_lov_iti_lov_it Perth, Western Australia Posts: 4,007
    I've heard of this but haven't really researched it.
  • Options
    shortstackshortstack Posts: 2,339
    brianlux said:

I looked at kombucha in our food co-op and it looked interesting but super pricey. Is it worth the cost?

i really don't know everything about it yet. i've read that people will share kefir and kombucha for the price of shipping. the problem is finding someone in your area that has some "going".

did you see me? i saw you.
  • Options
    riotgrlriotgrl LOUISVILLE Posts: 1,892

If you can find someone in your area that is best. I joined a local food co-op and these people are super knowledgeable and I got some from a person that was trustworthy. If you can't find a good co-op in your area, I would suggest getting some grains from Cultures for Health: culturesforhealth.com/

I've had good luck with both the grains and the powdered culture. Good luck!
    Are we getting something out of this all-encompassing trip?

Seems my preconceptions are what should have been burned...

I AM MINE
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Ive just discovered pumpkin spice cookies in the land of halloween...... I am NOT giving them up for paleo. besides I dont eat red meat, cooked or raw. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    xhausted1xhausted1 Posts: 126

brianlux said:

i really don't know everything about it yet. i've read that people will share kefir and kombucha for the price of shipping. the problem is finding someone in your area that has some "going".

Farmer's Markets are a good place to find this. They should be local vendors, and are a great deal of help. When I started looking into natural food over 10 years ago, they are where I started after the internet, of course. I am still in shock over what our food is in this country.
  • Options

Ive just discovered pumpkin spice cookies in the land of halloween...... I am NOT giving them up for paleo. besides I dont eat red meat, cooked or raw. :)

We had warm pumpkin-couscous salad for dinner tonight. I'm petty much moving toward a vegetarian-paleo thing with occasional small amounts of chicken or (very rarely) fish. Surely there were some paleolithic vegetarians or at least much-of-the-time-vegetarians way back when.

• Options
    We just got a Trader Joes in our area.My gosh,what solid veggie prices.Like half the price of Whole Foods or Fresh Market.Also a solid selection of taste healthy goods all reasonable priced.
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    edited November 2014
    doing good over here. it is amazing to me how much fruit & vegetables i go through, i always have consumed alot of vegetables & fruit but this is really something else now. i am trying & doing it - the cutting down on the eating of so many bananas. now i would say on average maybe three a day. some are in a smoothie others are eaten. im swimming two hrs six days a week so i am positive eating many bananas is nothing. they aren't ice cream, bagels & cream cheese or frickin pizza & fried frickin egg rolls which i am good at making

haven't eaten a banana yet today

what's funny to me is i can eat roast beef, brussel sprouts w/ sauteed walnuts (in olive oil) & feel great but be feeling like i had not ate anything in two hrs. so does eating alot of meat just go right though us? what's the deal?

sunday swim...................goodbye
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    bjo1015bjo1015 Posts: 104
    unsung said:

I made this tonight and it was delicious. My husband really liked it. It will be in the regular meal rotation at our house!
  • Options
    Hey kombucha seekers! I am a long time brewer and have a SCOBY for you to start your own, if interested. Just cover the cost of postage and it's yours. :)
    If I knew where it was, I would take you there....

9b62a062-ff5e-4ae3-9ff8-6d47ef18c764_zps86ddfa45.jpg
  • Options
    chadwick said:

doing good over here. it is amazing to me how much fruit & vegetables i go through, i always have consumed alot of vegetables & fruit but this is really something else now. i am trying & doing it - the cutting down on the eating of so many bananas. now i would say on average maybe three a day. some are in a smoothie others are eaten. im swimming two hrs six days a week so i am positive eating many bananas is nothing. they aren't ice cream, bagels & cream cheese or frickin pizza & fried frickin egg rolls which i am good at making

haven't eaten a banana yet today

what's funny to me is i can eat roast beef, brussel sprouts w/ sauteed walnuts (in olive oil) & feel great but be feeling like i had not ate anything in two hrs. so does eating alot of meat just go right though us? what's the deal?

sunday swim...................goodbye

Chad,what happened with this? You were on a roll.You still with it?
  • Options
    Read some of the eating for your blood type stuff,and being O Neg it said not to eat Legumes.Which sucks because I love English Peas and Hummas.I gave it a try and Wouldnt Ya know my body(gut) responded great.Really knocked down that bloated after meal feeling.
  • Options
    riotgrlriotgrl LOUISVILLE Posts: 1,892
    rr165892 said:

Read some of the eating for your blood type stuff,and being O Neg it said not to eat Legumes.Which sucks because I love English Peas and Hummas.I gave it a try and Wouldnt Ya know my body(gut) responded great.Really knocked down that bloated after meal feeling.

A
    rr165892 said:

Not sure if it has anything to do with blood type and diet but a lot of the research I've done says that most people can't consume legumes unless properly soaked first because of how hard they are to digest. Some legumes I can't eat at all because I can't digest them properly, like cashews. Certain beans I am ok with though. Have you researched the Weston Price diet?
    Are we getting something out of this all-encompassing trip?

Seems my preconceptions are what should have been burned...

I AM MINE
  • Options
    No Riotgrl I have not.Whats the basis?
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    riotgrl said:

rr165892 said:

A
    rr165892 said:

Not sure if it has anything to do with blood type and diet but a lot of the research I've done says that most people can't consume legumes unless properly soaked first because of how hard they are to digest. Some legumes I can't eat at all because I can't digest them properly, like cashews. Certain beans I am ok with though. Have you researched the Weston Price diet?
    peanuts are a BITCH on my stomach (and, um, further on down the, um.......line.....heh hem).

cashews are fine.

I gotta find something that will work for me. I'm a fat mess and I want to be in better shape for myself and for my kids. I want to get away from processed foods, but by the end of the day I'm so bloody lazy I just grab pizza pops or fucking tv dinners out of the fridge instead of making myself a decent lunch for the following day. then after I eat that shit at work I down a gallon of water because of all the sodium. if we have enough, I usually bring leftovers, but with my daughter on steroids for her colitis flare, she's eating everything in the house. But I also hate microwaves (I worry about what they do to food on the molecular level) and at my work they won't allow toaster ovens for reheating food.

I eat chips and dips and drink loads of pepsi with my canadian whiskey.

I drink about 4 giant mugs of coffee with white death (Coffee Mate) and sugar in each one every morning.

if i could turn this around it could be the basis of a tv show.

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    NatashapearljamfanNatashapearljamfan Australia Posts: 3,777
    Hi Paulonious,

Start making small changes one at a time, then it's not so overwhelming.
    Drinking water is great, so maybe start with ditching Pepsi for drinking water.
    Take fruit, sandwiches and nuts, or salads to work things that that don't need heating.
    Just a few suggestions I'm studying nutrition so you can pm if you want more suggestions.
    Good luck, it's hard work but you just need to believe in yourself and get your family to help. :heart:
  • Options
    edited February 2015

riotgrl said:

rr165892 said:

A
    rr165892 said:

peanuts are a BITCH on my stomach (and, um, further on down the, um.......line.....heh hem).

cashews are fine.

I gotta find something that will work for me. I'm a fat mess and I want to be in better shape for myself and for my kids. I want to get away from processed foods, but by the end of the day I'm so bloody lazy I just grab pizza pops or fucking tv dinners out of the fridge instead of making myself a decent lunch for the following day. then after I eat that shit at work I down a gallon of water because of all the sodium. if we have enough, I usually bring leftovers, but with my daughter on steroids for her colitis flare, she's eating everything in the house. But I also hate microwaves (I worry about what they do to food on the molecular level) and at my work they won't allow toaster ovens for reheating food.

I eat chips and dips and drink loads of pepsi with my canadian whiskey.

I drink about 4 giant mugs of coffee with white death (Coffee Mate) and sugar in each one every morning.

if i could turn this around it could be the basis of a tv show.

Wow Hugh.Dude you need to get it together for your health and to set a worthy example for your kids.Start easy.No processed foods,no soda,No refined carbs.First 24 hrs or so will be the hardest but once you get a few days in you'll be rolling.Drink lots of water and walk a bit to start.Do you have any health conditions that would keep you from hitting some weight training,spin classes,yoga,etc?
    Really is a 1 way street if you don't make some changes.You can do this.
    If you want post up your progress and we can support you and feed you advice if you need or want it.
    Post edited by rr165892 on
  • Options
    I suggest you get a full panel of blood work done see were you are at on everything from hormones to Lipids to thyroid function.
  • Options
    edited February 2015

Post edited by HughFreakingDillon on
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    edited February 2015

rr165892 said:

um....thanks for the "inspirational" words.

I wasn't trying to hurt your feelings.I apologize if that's how it came across.I just want everyone to be happy and healthy.I live this way(Other then one cheat evening a week) so I'm not a pontificating hypocrite.I have seen a lot of good people get sick from the food they eat.
    Again sorry if I came across harsh.Wasnt my intention.Iwas kinda hoping for a ra ra kinda message.Ill work on it.
    Post edited by rr165892 on
  • Options
    rr165892 said:

Wow Hugh.Dude you need to get it together for your health and to set a worthy example for your kids.

I am just in awe of this sweeping judgement. how fucking dare you.

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD