Options

Eating Paleo

Comments

• Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487

This is an honest question, not a criticism - how do the Paleos respond to the fact that there is also evidence that a vegan diet promotes health and increases lifespan? (I'm not vegan and have no vested interest in this; I personally think that any diet with more fruit and vegetables and fewer Cheetos is on the right track).

I'm not vegan but I believe they consume legumes and grains, both huge Paleo no-no's.

Both increase inflammation levels in the blood and that's a key aspect for going Paleo.

• Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    this is really good stuff. after one day i feel a difference & it was immediate as soon as i woke up. no grains & stupid bullshit... bam the determination/will-power kicked in. when my determination/will-power are dialed in

holy smokes good shit

i will miss two malted pancakes at the diner. maybe later down the line a spell i'll check em out
    nuts but without the salt or honey roasted... plain damn raw nuts
    the cutting back on bananas is not going to be enjoyable, i've had two already today. one step at a time
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    Yeah if you are trying to drop weight go moderate with fruit.

Good Luck, the first few days are rough but after a couple of weeks you'll see some changes happening and it'll really motivate you to stick with it.

Just another tip if you are trying to drop fat, only weigh in once a week. Same time, same day, once a week.
  • Options
    Try to do 30 days, you'll be amazed.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I can't imagine cutting any whole food out permanently...Meats, veggies, fruits, grains, dairy....I wouldn't want to live without the variety, food is definitely part of enjoying life for me. Sometimes it borders on addiction...but I try to keep everything in moderation and I always focus on getting my activity level higher above all else.
    If I went paleo what would I have to eat my peanut butter and maple syrup on?
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    unsung said:

Yeah if you are trying to drop weight go moderate with fruit.

Good Luck, the first few days are rough but after a couple of weeks you'll see some changes happening and it'll really motivate you to stick with it.

Just another tip if you are trying to drop fat, only weigh in once a week. Same time, same day, once a week.

i see my doctor(s) monthly or even biweekly as different things are going on. so yes i am weighing in. knees are smoked, shoulders the same & my back & a list of shit & piss going on. i screwed up this summer by not staying on my swimming & healthy eating regimen. first in june i torn my R rotator cuff, my L is basically the same. they seem to be feeling better in the pool as i quit swimming laps w/ those buyoant dumbbells & quit weight lifting dumbbells before bed or whenever. in my mid 20's i rolled/tumbled down a highway as i was flung out of my car. those shoulders took a beating but amazingly didn't break.

yes i am back on track, i am sure of this. if i had every penny on the planet i would give it all away for my health (everyone's better health) & no more pain. i have been done w/ grass 4.5 months now. sad thing is i had been drinking again, not daily but when i drink it's enough for 4 people. im done, done, done & done w/ everything yet again. thing is i get no help whatsoever from the pain clinic or hospital. a guy can only take so much agony. dial in the inner buddha determination, always have had it, it just gets a short distance away lost sometimes. yes surgeries are on the horizon when i get into my new upcoming life.

thank you, unsung

Post edited by chadwick on

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    edited October 2014
    Sorry to hear it Chad.Stay focused,maybe add in Yoga and Pilates for the gimpy body.I know it sounds girly but I do Pilates every Friday night It does a number on the muscles between the muscles and really helps with core and stability.It really compliments regular weight training and cardio.
  • Options
    rr, it is not girly at all. i'll be having both knees replaced at some point. im not to well balanced & i sure as shit am not going on the floor any time soon. this is why i do my thing in water. i'll be fully back at my fish type behavior here directly.

that car of mine i decided to get flung out of is a drop in the bucket. life has beat my ass, i have beat my ass.

i'll see what i can do, rr. thank you

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    unsung said:

This is an honest question, not a criticism - how do the Paleos respond to the fact that there is also evidence that a vegan diet promotes health and increases lifespan? (I'm not vegan and have no vested interest in this; I personally think that any diet with more fruit and vegetables and fewer Cheetos is on the right track).

I'm not vegan but I believe they consume legumes and grains, both huge Paleo no-no's.

Both increase inflammation levels in the blood and that's a key aspect for going Paleo.

So, no beer on a Paleo diet?
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Unfortunately no, but I sneak in one craft beer every now and then.

Actually no alcohol at all.
  • Options
    unsung said:

This is unexceptable!!
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520
    I tried Deal a Meal but now I am on Atkins.....is anybody on that?
  • Options
    unsung said:

Oh, I'm pretty sure Paleo man found a way to make alcohol. After all, everyone else has.

I guess to be true to the principles you should sneak a bottle of wine, not a craft beer. You can eat grapes, right?
  • Options
    unsung said:

Oh, I'm pretty sure Paleo man found a way to make alcohol. After all, everyone else has.

I guess to be true to the principles you should sneak a bottle of wine, not a craft beer. You can eat grapes, right?
  • Options
    The problem with wine is the Nitrates.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    The biggest source of nitrates for most people is leafy green vegetables. Vegetarians sometimes have low stomach acid which contributes to increased sensitivity to nitrates.
    I thought wine contained sulfites, not nitrates.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,752
    unsung said:

The problem with wine is the Nitrates.

Yeah, big time for me. I love wine but the nitrates started giving me headaches when I hit my 60's. Now its Paleo Margaritas for me- a beverage based on archaeological assumptions that tropical cavemen found fermented limes and agave plants in ice caves and made a beverage from them.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    i'll be eating poppy bulbs like a real caveman or just slit my arrowhead down its plumpness & lick the milk up. maybe i'll even learn to put fire to it. we'll learn cultivation sometime & grafting & cross breeding & we'll come up w/ dynamite-thunder-god-green-bomb

or no & be sober
    i'm going w/ sober for awhile

http://youtu.be/N_c60Sp7Gtc

been a few days & it is seriously awesome. 5:50am im up packing my swim bag. 7:30 im in the water & doing my thing for 2 hrs & 5 min. yesterday's midday meal was brussel sprouts & sauteed walnuts. supper was salmon filet, lemon wedges, g. onions, mushrooms & a large bowl of spinach w/ lemon squeezed over it

good shit

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    rgambs said:

The biggest source of nitrates for most people is leafy green vegetables. Vegetarians sometimes have low stomach acid which contributes to increased sensitivity to nitrates.

My bad, you are correct. I'm working mids, my mind is mush.
  • Options
    unsung said:

rgambs said:

Ditto. It said "nitrates" and my mind read "sulfates". But nitrates and nitrites are nasty shit too- not good for the body and can definitely contribute to migraines. Best to avoid those chemicals (amongst a host of others, of course.)

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    edited October 2014
    earlier today i thought you know i'm gonna stop by the elk & bison farm & pick myself up a pound of ground elk & a pound of ground bison. last time i was there it was $5 per lb for both elk & bison.
    today fucking ground elk & god damn ground bison is $9 each per lb

$20 fucking dollars for two damn pounds of healthy ass grub
    well that'll be small ass portions & better last all darn week
    got a turkey the other day, buncha fish & chicken too.

hay, feed & diesel fuel all through the ceiling making that elk & bison high dollar meat
    i thought of getting a frozen elk heart i was looking at there, thought i'll throw it in the crock pot after stuffing the thing fulla onions, garlic & whatnot. maybe some other time..... or maybe not

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    chadwick said:

earlier today i thought you know i'm gonna stop by the elk & bison farm & pick myself up a pound of ground elk & a pound of ground bison. last time i was there it was $5 per lb for both elk & bison.
    today fucking ground elk & god damn ground bison is $9 each per lb

$20 fucking dollars for two damn pounds of healthy ass grub
    well that'll be small ass portions & better last all darn week
    got a turkey the other day, buncha fish & chicken too.

hay, feed & diesel fuel all through the ceiling making that elk & bison high dollar meat
    i thought of getting a frozen elk heart i was looking at there, thought i'll throw it in the crock pot after stuffing the thing fulla onions, garlic & whatnot. maybe some other time..... or maybe not

Time to go hunting Iowa boy.

Ps.you can rock out to the new SlipKnot while you are amongst nature.
    Post edited by rr165892 on
  • Options

I just started doing paleo. So far, so good. Just need some websites that have some great recipes.

Check out nomnompaleo.com

I use that one most. I avoid the blogs that do pancakes and other baked goods because it's pretty much just substituting coconut flour for reg flour.
  • Options
    spacekaddettespacekaddette Posts: 41
    edited September 2020

Post edited by Sea on
    2003 - Buffalo
    2008 - Hartford, Mansfield I, Toronto I (EV Solo)
    2010 - Buffalo
    2013 - Buffalo, Brooklyn I, Brooklyn II
    2014 - St. Paul, Milwaukee, Denver
    2015 - Buenos Aires, Mexico City
    2016 - New York I, New York II
  • Options
    huh i'll be damned. egg & banana pancake. i'll try this sometime soon. lately all my meals are with walnuts. lastnight: elk burger w/ one baby porta bella mushroom diced & g. onions put into the burger as it cooked, walnuts, g. onions or leek & carrots diced up & surrounded the meat. when nearly done i threw in two handfulls of spinach. put the lid back on & bam, good grubbin

every morning im having one egg, g. onions, walnuts, sausage or pork, cabbage & carrots diced up & go. w/ a banana, few grapes & oj

check out this excellent snack: apple cut up, grapes (these are red grapes) walnut pieces & cinnamon. thrown around in a bowl. son of a... is it ever good

been on this diet now approaching a week. been swimming 2 hrs or 2 hrs & 5 min everyday. it's fucking wonderful! hard as a damn rock & losing weight. i've done this program before & then i was dropping 1/2 a pound - 1 pound daily. soon i'll be anorexic skinny. just kidding. that'll never happen unless hell freezes over

heck i've even got a 1/2 a 5th of coconut rum out there in the kitchen. testing one's willpower & determination is a high in itself

& welcome back to sleeping like a fucking log zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    riotgrlriotgrl LOUISVILLE Posts: 1,892
    brianlux said:

unsung said:

rgambs said:

Ditto. It said "nitrates" and my mind read "sulfates". But nitrates and nitrites are nasty shit too- not good for the body and can definitely contribute to migraines. Best to avoid those chemicals (amongst a host of others, of course.)

Actually, nitrates have gotten a bad rap. There is a lot to be said for eating pastured, cured meats. Humans have been doing it for thousands of years. Our past need to preserve food meant the use of salt to keep the meat fresh. If you're getting meats cured with salt (preferably sea salt) then nitrates shouldn't pose a problem. In fact, sea salt (not the iodized, Morton's salt) has been criticized when we need it for basic cellular function. Science is reevaluating its position on foods role in chronic disease. Have you seen the recent Time magazine article on butter? The reevaluation says that butter is far superior to margarine.

Here's an interesting article on the use of salt (nitrates).
    href="http://www.takepart.com/article/2014/10/08/cured-meat-nitrites-cancer">takepart.com/article/2014/10/08/cured-meat-nitrites-cancer

After following a no processed food diet following paleo/Weston Price principles for the past 2 years, I am healthier than ever. My weight has stabilized and I am in much better health (the WAY I feel AND my numbers). And I eat bacon/lard/meat/eggs every day. Very few grains, lots of fermented foods, and lots of veggies. Daily exercise, when I can.
    Are we getting something out of this all-encompassing trip?

Seems my preconceptions are what should have been burned...

I AM MINE
  • Options
    chadwick said:

huh i'll be damned. egg & banana pancake. i'll try this sometime soon. lately all my meals are with walnuts. lastnight: elk burger w/ one baby porta bella mushroom diced & g. onions put into the burger as it cooked, walnuts, g. onions or leek & carrots diced up & surrounded the meat. when nearly done i threw in two handfulls of spinach. put the lid back on & bam, good grubbin

every morning im having one egg, g. onions, walnuts, sausage or pork, cabbage & carrots diced up & go. w/ a banana, few grapes & oj

check out this excellent snack: apple cut up, grapes (these are red grapes) walnut pieces & cinnamon. thrown around in a bowl. son of a... is it ever good

been on this diet now approaching a week. been swimming 2 hrs or 2 hrs & 5 min everyday. it's fucking wonderful! hard as a damn rock & losing weight. i've done this program before & then i was dropping 1/2 a pound - 1 pound daily. soon i'll be anorexic skinny. just kidding. that'll never happen unless hell freezes over

heck i've even got a 1/2 a 5th of coconut rum out there in the kitchen. testing one's willpower & determination is a high in itself

& welcome back to sleeping like a fucking log zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Goodjob!
  • Options

Yeah, I've been on her site. Also, the app Yummly is pretty good.

By the way, you can make pancakes with just eggs and bananas. I think they're really good.

That sounds crazy but I looked up a recipes (really simple- one well mashed ripe banana, two beaten eggs) and it actually sounds really good! Definitely going to try them- thanks!
    riotgrl said:

brianlux said:

unsung said:

rgambs said:

Actually, nitrates have gotten a bad rap. There is a lot to be said for eating pastured, cured meats. Humans have been doing it for thousands of years. Our past need to preserve food meant the use of salt to keep the meat fresh. If you're getting meats cured with salt (preferably sea salt) then nitrates shouldn't pose a problem. In fact, sea salt (not the iodized, Morton's salt) has been criticized when we need it for basic cellular function. Science is reevaluating its position on foods role in chronic disease. Have you seen the recent Time magazine article on butter? The reevaluation says that butter is far superior to margarine.

href="http://www.takepart.com/article/2014/10/08/cured-meat-nitrites-cancer">takepart.com/article/2014/10/08/cured-meat-nitrites-cancer

After following a no processed food diet following paleo/Weston Price principles for the past 2 years, I am healthier than ever. My weight has stabilized and I am in much better health (the WAY I feel AND my numbers). And I eat bacon/lard/meat/eggs every day. Very few grains, lots of fermented foods, and lots of veggies. Daily exercise, when I can.
    Yeah, I've read that about butter- def. better than margarine. I gave both up and all cow dairy years ago. My body seems to do better on goat or sheep's milk/cheese and even those in only small portions. But sorry, riotgrl, you'd have to go a long way to convince me bacon is healthy but hey, what ever works for you and makes you feel good- that's great. :-)

• Options
    edited October 2014
    I've gone through 50 lbs of bacon and 55 dozen eggs so far this year and my total cholesterol is 124.

Yes, I do keep count of what I've eaten all year.

Haven't had a pop/cola in three years, no milk in almost two years, margarine since forever. I have had raw milk though.
    Post edited by unsung on
  • Options
    riotgrl said:

brianlux said:

unsung said:

rgambs said:

A lot of Paleo people eat fermented foods, I can't touch it.