Options

Eating Paleo

Comments

• Options
    satansbedsatansbed Posts: 2,138
    unsung wrote:
    I don't believe we need grains to thrive, and I haven't found one nutritional benefit that I can't get from something else. To me, the negatives far outweigh the positives. I have a high food allergy to wheat and my girlfriend is sensitive to glutens.

Diabetes runs in my family, so cutting out the non-natural sugars makes sense.

I also choose to avoid processed food that sits in a box on a store shelf for months. We had a work colleague off for a medical reason and he left an opened pack of townhouse crackers on his desk. Nobody really noticed it until we had to clean out his desk nearly a year later. There was no mold on those crackers. No thanks.

I eat organic as much as possible. All the washing in the world won't remove those pesticides.

As an adult I also find no point in drinking milk. Any nutritional benefits are first of all eliminated through pasteurization, then magically, or should I say chemically added afterwards. Now they want to be allowed to add aspartame to it without disclosing it on the label. No thanks.

So yeah, paleo makes perfect sense to me.
    its not about needing the nutritional benefit, if never learned to farm grains we would have never settled into civilizations and wouldn't be anywhere near as technically and socially advanced as we are now.

i saw a fascinating documentary once about how one small evolution in one of the grains ment that it would hold on to its seeds, which then allowed us to learn how to farm it and develop to where we are today. cant remember its name though.

Paelo is grand but an agricultural race for a reason. it allowed more of us to survive
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,687
    unsung wrote:
    I don't believe we need grains to thrive, and I haven't found one nutritional benefit that I can't get from something else. To me, the negatives far outweigh the positives. I have a high food allergy to wheat and my girlfriend is sensitive to glutens.

I also choose to avoid processed food that sits in a box on a store shelf for months. We had a work colleague off for a medical reason and he left an opened pack of townhouse crackers on his desk. Nobody really noticed it until we had to clean out his desk nearly a year later. There was no mold on those crackers. No thanks.

I eat organic as much as possible. All the washing in the world won't remove those pesticides.

As an adult I also find no point in drinking milk. Any nutritional benefits are first of all eliminated through pasteurization, then magically, or should I say chemically added afterwards. Now they want to be allowed to add aspartame to it without disclosing it on the label. No thanks.

Everything you say here makes sense to me, unsung. Grains are my down fall. I try to stick with organic non-gmo grains but beyond that I have a hard time avoiding them, especially in the form of higher quality breads, crackers and cereals-- which may equate to too many grains at times. Wheat especially- I think more and more people are finding wheat to be problematic.

With spring and summer coming that will change someone with the availability of fresh organic fruits. It's the time of year I lean toward being somewhat fruitarianism despite the fact that lots of fruit means lots of carbs which maybe I don't need as much anymore. It's hard to find the right balance because we're all a bit different.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    riotgrlriotgrl LOUISVILLE Posts: 1,892
    brianlux wrote:
    unsung wrote:

Everything you say here makes sense to me, unsung. Grains are my down fall. I try to stick with organic non-gmo grains but beyond that I have a hard time avoiding them, especially in the form of higher quality breads, crackers and cereals-- which may equate to too many grains at times. Wheat especially- I think more and more people are finding wheat to be problematic.

With spring and summer coming that will change someone with the availability of fresh organic fruits. It's the time of year I lean toward being somewhat fruitarianism despite the fact that lots of fruit means lots of carbs which maybe I don't need as much anymore. It's hard to find the right balance because we're all a bit different.

I think you both hit it. It really does depend on what works best for you. We need to listen to our bodies and realize that we don't need to follow the latest fad diet but to eat what works best for our body. I can eat soaked and sprouted grains and feel good but for others it is too much. The only hard and fast rule that I think everyone should follow is NO processed food, period.

I can tell winter is coming to a close because I am starting to crave fresh greens that I haven't had much of this winter. Asparagus will be here soon and I can't wait!
    Are we getting something out of this all-encompassing trip?

Seems my preconceptions are what should have been burned...

I AM MINE
  • Options
    Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,277
    I ate Paleo for a while and then fell back into my sugar coma induced blahness. Time to feel that energy again with a plan that I can live with. Wine and very minimal cheese included. Life isn't worth living without a little cheese!
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • Options
    ShawshankShawshank Posts: 1,018
    Over the last year I have been consistently losing weight...down about 40lbs. I wasn't morbidly obese or anything...but I've always been a stocky built guy. I needed to shed some weight to go do some hiking in the mountains of Colorado.

My plan? Burn more calories than I consumed. And that's what I've been doing. I didn't really change my diet. I don't drink a lot of soda, I garden a lot so we eat tons of veggies. I just think I was always eating the same as what I burned. I have a pretty sedentary job.

I still eat what I want...and I try not to eat after 5pm. That's a biggie. Although I do listen to my body...if I feel like I'm freaking starving to death at 9pm, I'll eat a piece of cheese and maybe a few crackers.

My regimen pretty much involves walking 4 to 6 miles per day (my wife does almost 10...sometimes up to 15 each day). I'll drink a protein shake in the morning...because I hate eating breakfast. That gives me 30 to 45 grams of protein right there. Protein is the key to all of this, because if your body has protein, it will know that all is right with the world and actually burn calories better. I notice a huge difference if I cut back on protein intake. Also, drinking lots of water through the day really helps.

I still will eat a burger and fries if I want...just smaller portions. I still make homemade bread. I still eat pasta once a week or so. There is nothing that I crave. If I want dessert I have it. I don't restrict myself...but I don't let myself run wild either. It just becomes a balance is all.
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,954
    Shawshank said:

Over the last year I have been consistently losing weight...down about 40lbs. I wasn't morbidly obese or anything...but I've always been a stocky built guy. I needed to shed some weight to go do some hiking in the mountains of Colorado.

My plan? Burn more calories than I consumed. And that's what I've been doing. I didn't really change my diet. I don't drink a lot of soda, I garden a lot so we eat tons of veggies. I just think I was always eating the same as what I burned. I have a pretty sedentary job.

I still eat what I want...and I try not to eat after 5pm. That's a biggie. Although I do listen to my body...if I feel like I'm freaking starving to death at 9pm, I'll eat a piece of cheese and maybe a few crackers.

My regimen pretty much involves walking 4 to 6 miles per day (my wife does almost 10...sometimes up to 15 each day). I'll drink a protein shake in the morning...because I hate eating breakfast. That gives me 30 to 45 grams of protein right there. Protein is the key to all of this, because if your body has protein, it will know that all is right with the world and actually burn calories better. I notice a huge difference if I cut back on protein intake. Also, drinking lots of water through the day really helps.

I still will eat a burger and fries if I want...just smaller portions. I still make homemade bread. I still eat pasta once a week or so. There is nothing that I crave. If I want dessert I have it. I don't restrict myself...but I don't let myself run wild either. It just becomes a balance is all.

Damn dude...good work

Thanks for sharing. Your situation kind of sounds like mine. I don't really feel like I eat too much but I could eat healthier. I tend to dive into snacks meant for the kids and get carried away.

I'm going to try the protein shake in the am. I never eat breakfast and during busy times (I'm a CPA/desk Jockey) I will skip lunch. THen when I get home at 6 I destroy whatever is available to eat and then I'm too miserable to exercise. I need to change and lose about 20 lbs.

Plus I drink too much beer/vodka on the weekends.

Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    Unsung,
    Don't spend too much energy on lumping your eating into anyone diet type.My wife and I Eat very clean.No simple carbs,sugar,dairy and only eat minimally processed Usually organic stuff.Lots of salads and lean meats(some bacon also),egg whites,lots of nuts,Raw veggies,etc.
    We are Gym rat meatheads so protien and insulin regulation is very Important to adding lean mass and eliminating excess Body fat.Staying away from gluten and dairy is huge.We try not to be snobs about it and just do our best when we can control it and make clean choices when we can't.A huge mental deal for us is 1cheat day a week.We rage on Pizza,desserts,sugar,carbs anything really but just for 1 24 hr period.It keeps you sane and actually gives your metabolism a boost.
    Are you lifting or working out while doing this?
    Have you had your Hormone levels checked(Estrogen,Testosterone,etc)?
    Also I take two scoops of a product called "Green Vibrance"Which is a whole food supplement with millions of probiotics and other goodies to keep you right inside and boost immune system.Stuff is great.I mix with a fresh juice every morning.Look it up and give it a go.
  • Options

Shawshank said:

Damn dude...good work

Thanks for sharing. Your situation kind of sounds like mine. I don't really feel like I eat too much but I could eat healthier. I tend to dive into snacks meant for the kids and get carried away.

I'm going to try the protein shake in the am. I never eat breakfast and during busy times (I'm a CPA/desk Jockey) I will skip lunch. THen when I get home at 6 I destroy whatever is available to eat and then I'm too miserable to exercise. I need to change and lose about 20 lbs.

You should never skip breakfast.Most important meal of the day.Try a fresh juiced bunch of veggies and some egg whites with little oatmeal .
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    edited September 2014
    Shawshank said:

You are hitting the nail on the head, although I disagree on time of consumption mattering. Moderation, dont deprive yourself (as you will no doubt over-indulge later if you do that), lots of protein for cutting fat, and trying to be active in some form every day. Thats it.

I dont know much about this "Paleo Diet" other than the basic premise...

in my experience, it seems to be very much in style to proclaim that you "have issues with Gluten" or have a "Gluten allergy". Somebody was actually telling me that last week while crushing 20 beers at a tailgate party.

Yeah, fresh ingredients are optimal, and fresh homemade stuff is better and carries much better health benefits than Chef Boy R Dee or Spaghetti Os or Kraft Mac and Cheese.... When I am ill though, I still have a guilty pleasure of Campbells Chicken Noodle-O's and oyster crackers... it wont kill me.
    Post edited by MayDay10 on
  • Options
    ShawshankShawshank Posts: 1,018

Damn dude...good work

Thanks. Yeah, you'll never see any results skipping and then gorging like that. It's never good. Your body will basically keep your metabolism in a famine state, so you won't burn anything.

I get the Body Fortress protein. I either use Chocolate or Strawberry so that I have some variety. I'm not a fan of the chocolate on it's own, so I mix it up a bit. I always use my blender with it first of all. Basically for breakfast I will do something like this...

3/4 to maybe 1 cup of milk
    A scoop and a half of protein (that gives you 45 grams of protein, plus the few that are in the milk)
    Then if I'm doing chocolate I might add a spoon full of peanut butter. It tastes better than it sounds. Sometimes I'll add a banana. Sometimes I'll do a mix of banana with a touch of the peanut butter. When I'm in the mood for Starbucks I'll take a little bit of coffee that keep in the fridge and add that to it. Once my flavorings are added then I add ice. Just enough to thicken it. When it's done it's almost like a real shake, but it is totally good for you.

I notice that now I'm stronger than I ever have been, and my stamina for hiking and running is so much better. I hiked up Mt. Bierstadt, which wasn't horrible, but towards the end it feels like you are basically climbing a flight of stairs for 3 miles while breathing through a straw.

The not eating after 5 thing is just my personal preference. I like going to bed feeling like I'm just about to start getting hungry. Since my body is fueled so well, it seems to spend all night burning fat, because every day I'm about a half pound lighter. However...as I said...if I'm hungry...even if it's 8 at night...if my stomach is rumbling...I feed that thing. I don't let myself get to a point where I feel like I"m starving at any time during the day.

So basically, protein intake, exercise (walking is so good for you...probably the best thing you can do just starting out), eating in moderation with a healthy mix of food (I had a hamburger for lunch today with some fries...not feeling bad at all about it because I'm having a salad and veggies for dinner plus I'll walk 4 miles tonight), drinking plenty of water, and not letting myself go into starvation mode were the keys to my success.

• Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    FWIW I created this thread early last year, but it's been nothing but a success. I'll comment more when I am not completely bored with the Internet.
  • Options
    So how you doing with this Unsung?
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    I was doing very well, I had basically got to a point where I was pretty happy to be. I am 6'3" and I was about 245 with low teens in the BF%. I had not missed a single day in the gym for over nine months. Unfortunately back in April I injured my back lifting a cast iron incinerator out of my basement. It weighed close to 300lbs and I had to do it alone. I got it out but I tweaked my back because of the unusual positioning required to lift it out. I got away from the whole eating clean for a few months but now I am back at it, and slowly regaining the strength and physique that I lost.

I'm sold on the Paleo life, I never felt better in my life and I had the blood numbers to prove it.
  • Options
    Shawshank said:

Damn dude...good work

Thanks. Yeah, you'll never see any results skipping and then gorging like that. It's never good. Your body will basically keep your metabolism in a famine state, so you won't burn anything.

I get the Body Fortress protein. I either use Chocolate or Strawberry so that I have some variety. I'm not a fan of the chocolate on it's own, so I mix it up a bit. I always use my blender with it first of all. Basically for breakfast I will do something like this...

3/4 to maybe 1 cup of milk
    A scoop and a half of protein (that gives you 45 grams of protein, plus the few that are in the milk)
    Then if I'm doing chocolate I might add a spoon full of peanut butter. It tastes better than it sounds. Sometimes I'll add a banana. Sometimes I'll do a mix of banana with a touch of the peanut butter. When I'm in the mood for Starbucks I'll take a little bit of coffee that keep in the fridge and add that to it. Once my flavorings are added then I add ice. Just enough to thicken it. When it's done it's almost like a real shake, but it is totally good for you.

I notice that now I'm stronger than I ever have been, and my stamina for hiking and running is so much better. I hiked up Mt. Bierstadt, which wasn't horrible, but towards the end it feels like you are basically climbing a flight of stairs for 3 miles while breathing through a straw.

The not eating after 5 thing is just my personal preference. I like going to bed feeling like I'm just about to start getting hungry. Since my body is fueled so well, it seems to spend all night burning fat, because every day I'm about a half pound lighter. However...as I said...if I'm hungry...even if it's 8 at night...if my stomach is rumbling...I feed that thing. I don't let myself get to a point where I feel like I"m starving at any time during the day.

So basically, protein intake, exercise (walking is so good for you...probably the best thing you can do just starting out), eating in moderation with a healthy mix of food (I had a hamburger for lunch today with some fries...not feeling bad at all about it because I'm having a salad and veggies for dinner plus I'll walk 4 miles tonight), drinking plenty of water, and not letting myself go into starvation mode were the keys to my success.

I can not speak for that brand of protein but I have tried many different ones. I was using Optimum Nutrition brand for years, until earlier this year. Many mass produced protein powders are filled with metals like lead and arsenic and cadmium, so do your research before selecting a brand. I have very recently begun using Formulx brand protein. YMMV.
  • Options
    unsung said:

I was doing very well, I had basically got to a point where I was pretty happy to be. I am 6'3" and I was about 245 with low teens in the BF%. I had not missed a single day in the gym for over nine months. Unfortunately back in April I injured my back lifting a cast iron incinerator out of my basement. It weighed close to 300lbs and I had to do it alone. I got it out but I tweaked my back because of the unusual positioning required to lift it out. I got away from the whole eating clean for a few months but now I am back at it, and slowly regaining the strength and physique that I lost.

I'm sold on the Paleo life, I never felt better in my life and I had the blood numbers to prove it.

Oww! Damn dude, be careful. I popped a hernias a couple of times doing stuff like that. Hope your back's doing better!

I try to keep my protein on the low on of the food chain and I eat mostly very clean but I really need to work on cutting down more on the carbs and sugars. Ugh! Why are the most tempting foods the worst for us?!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    Food is my addiction, it is a daily battle, it would be very easy to hit up Five Guys or order Chinese delivery. So when I hurt my back (two bulging discs and one herniated) I became inactive for about three months. I got out of form pretty fast.

It is amazing on how much better I feel after cutting that stuff out. I haven't had a pop/soda in about three years, and I have avoided cheap fast food like McDonalds for almost two. There is no way I would ever eat anything from a McDonalds/Burger King/Taco Bell again.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,122
    Sandwiches, beer, and cheese would be tough for me to give up. Other then that it the list of foods that are considered good look OK.
  • Options
    Question Paleo fans: I try to incorporate more oats into thing I eat rather than wheat- i.e. add oats to my whole grain pancake mix, eat oat cereal or oatmeal instead of cereals with wheat, etc. Is that a better choice or am I just fooling myself with more carbs?

• Options
    edited October 2014
    It's a grain and Paleo people don't eat grains.
    Post edited by unsung on
  • Options
    Brian,oatmeal is a low glycemic carb.Lots of sustained energy with relative little neg impact.Some pure carb free diets stay away from the lower glycemic carbs like oats,brown rice,sweet potato.I maintain a very low carb eating plan thru most the week then have a cheat day.Having a bowl of oatmeal in the morning will give you some good sustained slow release energy while keeping your Lipids and insulin spike in check.Irish steel cut oats are nice.
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    edited October 2014
    i've done something like it before. i ate turkey every single day until i went nutty. it was turkey, steak, burger, turkey, steak, burger, turkey steak, burger. water & more water.

i'll give this a shot. as a rule i eat fruits & vegetables like there is no darn tomorrow. what are you alls opinions on eating 2-3 bananas on average daily but sometimes maybe 6 bananas a day? & spinach, im eating 2-3 large bowls of spinach everyday, it's a 8oz bag of dole spinach. no more croutons & no more paul newman's caesar. no more cheesy scrambled eggs, bagel & cream cheese! frigg. no more coffee creamer or cereal & milk

the thing w/ eating like our ancient ancestors is all good & fine, we also have to walk like 8-10 miles a day... ok maybe 5 miles? no, 12 miles? walking, hunting, walking, hunting, walking, moving along following meat sources & getting to warmer locales come winter, walking, jumping in a creek for a trout, carving spears, hunting & gathering, eating nuts & things, chipping out flint points & axes, hunting & having restroom breaks in the forests & weeds & in the sand & mountains.

lots of moving about.......... like, lots of it.

i have a hard time believing they never ate honey or maple syrup (is maple syrup good tasting straight from the leaky maple trees?) trial & error - look a puddle of water w/ leaves in it, water looks browned up... tea) & what about wild rice?

http://youtu.be/CTgObHJeRb4
    Post edited by chadwick on
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    mushrooms... yes

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    Chad,add some egg whites and a little turkey bacon bits,shrooms to the spinach and drizzle with a gourmet balsamic(tj max has it).tasty,protien and not boring.For the banana I would leave it at one a day as they are bad on the carb scale.I usually have a half with a peanut butter smear before gym.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    chadwick said:

i've done something like it before. i ate turkey every single day until i went nutty. it was turkey, steak, burger, turkey, steak, burger, turkey steak, burger. water & more water.

i'll give this a shot. as a rule i eat fruits & vegetables like there is no darn tomorrow. what are you alls opinions on eating 2-3 bananas on average daily but sometimes maybe 6 bananas a day? & spinach, im eating 2-3 large bowls of spinach everyday, it's a 8oz bag of dole spinach. no more croutons & no more paul newman's caesar. no more cheesy scrambled eggs, bagel & cream cheese! frigg. no more coffee creamer or cereal & milk

the thing w/ eating like our ancient ancestors is all good & fine, we also have to walk like 8-10 miles a day... ok maybe 5 miles? no, 12 miles? walking, hunting, walking, hunting, walking, moving along following meat sources & getting to warmer locales come winter, walking, jumping in a creek for a trout, carving spears, hunting & gathering, eating nuts & things, chipping out flint points & axes, hunting & having restroom breaks in the forests & weeds & in the sand & mountains.

lots of moving about.......... like, lots of it.

i have a hard time believing they never ate honey or maple syrup (is maple syrup good tasting straight from the leaky maple trees?) trial & error - look a puddle of water w/ leaves in it, water looks browned up... tea) & what about wild rice?

http://youtu.be/CTgObHJeRb4

If that's a question, no maple syrup doesn't taste great when its freshly leaked... It is only about 2% sugar so it has to be boiled down quite a bit!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    yes it was a question & thank you. i knew it had to be processed but didn't know if it was tasty directly from the source

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    It tastes a good bit better than pine sap, I'll tell you that for sure! It is only made in the spring, when the sap changes with the weather, when the buds come out the sap "goes bad" in a way. It is watery, slightly bitter, and slightly sweet coming out of the tree. You can't boil alot down indoors or it makes your walls sticky as hell! Most people don't realize that northern North America is the only region of the world that produces that glorious flavor of pure maple syrup. It beats honey to death in my opinion... I can't ever imagine a lifestyle that doesn't include the natural goodness of REAL maple syrup.
  • Options
    A great write up on avoiding grains.

http://blog.paleohacks.com/whats-wrong-with-grains/
  • Options
    Does the "paleo" diet allow for maple syrup?
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    This is an honest question, not a criticism - how do the Paleos respond to the fact that there is also evidence that a vegan diet promotes health and increases lifespan? (I'm not vegan and have no vested interest in this; I personally think that any diet with more fruit and vegetables and fewer Cheetos is on the right track).
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    rgambs said:

Does the "paleo" diet allow for maple syrup?

Not store bought unless it is straight from the tree, and only that with moderation because it's essentially sugar.