Options

Eating Paleo

Comments

• Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    this really is good stuff. thank you, unsung, for putting this thread together. it took me several days or longer to even open "paleo". i saw it here, i just never clicked on it. the very day i opened it, i began doing it. it was the light switch type thing. you know it's right when the power switch or light switch or light bulb comes on. bam good to go

exciting

for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,752
    unsung said:

I've gone through 50 lbs of bacon and 55 dozen eggs so far this year and my total cholesterol is 124.

Yes, I do keep count of what I've eaten all year.

Haven't had a pop/cola in three years, no milk in almost two years, margarine since forever. I have had raw milk though.

Thank you, unsung and riotgrl. I will enjoy the hell out the few times each year I eat bacon. Not gonna be a staple for me but I'll bacon-toast to you both next time I do have some.

Yeah, unsung, soda pop is bad stuff.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,191
    it's been 6 months since I have touched a soda. went strict paleo for a while and dropped about 25-30 pounds in two months. I have started adding back tortillas and rice and still seem to be maintaining the steady weight. 5'11" 150 lbs and I feel great. it is def not a fad diet. it works. you will feel better once you cut out all the processed crap that makes up 90% of your local grocery store.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    bjo1015bjo1015 Posts: 104
    lolobugg said:

it's been 6 months since I have touched a soda. went strict paleo for a while and dropped about 25-30 pounds in two months. I have started adding back tortillas and rice and still seem to be maintaining the steady weight. 5'11" 150 lbs and I feel great. it is def not a fad diet. it works. you will feel better once you cut out all the processed crap that makes up 90% of your local grocery store.

I had similar results. For the past 5 months I have been following a diet close to paleo that was low carb, no sugar (not even fruits), no dairy, and the daily recommended amount protein (basically a ketogenic diet). I lost 50 lbs in 5 months and just recently started to phase grains and fruits back into my meals. I eat a ton of vegetables and have discovered things that I never would have considered trying before (rutabaga and turnips) and plan to continue to eat those things instead of potatoes a majority of the time.

I have felt better than ever with the lack of processed foods and sugar in my diet. I sleep better, have more energy, and fewer lower back problems. I tried losing weight by following a "balanced" low fat diet and exercise, but could never lose more than 10 lbs. Now that I lost 50 lbs, a balanced diet and exercise should allow me to maintain my 145 lbs. I do allow myself a cheat day once a week to splurge on things I enjoy like pizza and sweets.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    bjo1015 said:

lolobugg said:

I had similar results. For the past 5 months I have been following a diet close to paleo that was low carb, no sugar (not even fruits), no dairy, and the daily recommended amount protein (basically a ketogenic diet). I lost 50 lbs in 5 months and just recently started to phase grains and fruits back into my meals. I eat a ton of vegetables and have discovered things that I never would have considered trying before (rutabaga and turnips) and plan to continue to eat those things instead of potatoes a majority of the time.

I have felt better than ever with the lack of processed foods and sugar in my diet. I sleep better, have more energy, and fewer lower back problems. I tried losing weight by following a "balanced" low fat diet and exercise, but could never lose more than 10 lbs. Now that I lost 50 lbs, a balanced diet and exercise should allow me to maintain my 145 lbs. I do allow myself a cheat day once a week to splurge on things I enjoy like pizza and sweets.
    congrats, man
    yeah I eat dark chocolate a lot.... have to admit.
    and turnips are so good!!!
    asparagus and avocado are also staples.
    the "food pyramid" is a joke. can't believe people still think lots of grains are good for you.

EDIT: btw.. I never gave up fruits, in fact I eat a lot of fruit. you should have no problem if you add it back. apples every day, blueberries and balance it with some trail mix. gets that metabolism going strong.
    Post edited by lolobugg on

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    been 8 days & feeling great. with all the swimming i'm doing, this is ridiculous! i shoulda been doing this all along. sleeping for me resembles a rock or a brick. when i'm not swimming & i'm eating like a dumbasshole, sleeping is terrible for me.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    chadwick said:

been 8 days & feeling great. with all the swimming i'm doing, this is ridiculous! i shoulda been doing this all along. sleeping for me resembles a rock or a brick. when i'm not swimming & i'm eating like a dumbasshole, sleeping is terrible for me.

congrats, man!!
    it is a wonderful and healthy way to live.
    I'm 36 and I feel and look better than I did since high school

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    riotgrlriotgrl LOUISVILLE Posts: 1,892
    unsung said:

riotgrl said:

brianlux said:

unsung said:

rgambs said:

The biggest source of nitrates for most people is leafy green vegetables. Vegetarians sometimes have low stomach acid which contributes to increased sensitivity to nitrates.
    I thought wine contained sulfites, not nitrates.

My bad, you are correct. I'm working mids, my mind is mush.
    Ditto. It said "nitrates" and my mind read "sulfates". But nitrates and nitrites are nasty shit too- not good for the body and can definitely contribute to migraines. Best to avoid those chemicals (amongst a host of others, of course.)

Actually, nitrates have gotten a bad rap. There is a lot to be said for eating pastured, cured meats. Humans have been doing it for thousands of years. Our past need to preserve food meant the use of salt to keep the meat fresh. If you're getting meats cured with salt (preferably sea salt) then nitrates shouldn't pose a problem. In fact, sea salt (not the iodized, Morton's salt) has been criticized when we need it for basic cellular function. Science is reevaluating its position on foods role in chronic disease. Have you seen the recent Time magazine article on butter? The reevaluation says that butter is far superior to margarine.

Here's an interesting article on the use of salt (nitrates).
    href="http://www.takepart.com/article/2014/10/08/cured-meat-nitrites-cancer">takepart.com/article/2014/10/08/cured-meat-nitrites-cancer

After following a no processed food diet following paleo/Weston Price principles for the past 2 years, I am healthier than ever. My weight has stabilized and I am in much better health (the WAY I feel AND my numbers). And I eat bacon/lard/meat/eggs every day. Very few grains, lots of fermented foods, and lots of veggies. Daily exercise, when I can.
    A lot of Paleo people eat fermented foods, I can't touch it.

Fermented salsa and jalapenos are amazing! Easy way to get some fermented foods without that really sour taste that can be off putting! I have a hard time eating some of it but I canned 20 lb of tomatoes as fermented salsa and it is already gone! Guess I'll be doing 60 lb next summer :)
    Are we getting something out of this all-encompassing trip?

Seems my preconceptions are what should have been burned...

I AM MINE
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    I'm willing to check that out, thanks. One thing I really want to do is to start canning as well.
  • Options
    unsung said:

I'm willing to check that out, thanks. One thing I really want to do is to start canning as well.

This one is my favorite but it uses whey (dairy - although I use raw milk yogurt to get my whey).

mommypotamus.com/cultured-salsa-recipe/

This one is good if you're dairy free. Both are tried and true!

tasty-yummies.com/2013/09/03/fermented-salsa-gluten-free-vegan/

I AM MINE
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    I'll look into that second one.

I made this tonight.

http://www.tessemaes.com/blogs/blog/15534289-sausage-broccoli-rabe-stuffed-acorn-squash

Except I don't do sausage so I used grass-fed 85% ground beef.
  • Options
    unsung said:

I'll look into that second one.

I made this tonight.

http://www.tessemaes.com/blogs/blog/15534289-sausage-broccoli-rabe-stuffed-acorn-squash

Except I don't do sausage so I used grass-fed 85% ground beef.

That looks really good. I just recently tried acorn squash and love it!

I AM MINE
  • Options
    you know i'd sure enjoy some peanut butter toast (homemade sour dough bread too) & a glass of milk or a bowl of cereal or some rice w/ my chicken or a big ol' cheese burger on a bun or three or four slices of pizza any kinda pizza or a couple soft shell tacos or a frickin slice (a big slice too) of chocolate cake w/ that coconut pecan frosting - aka - german chocolate

nope, nope & nope

i get brussel sprouts, chia seed water & some bullshit fish filet or buffalo burger (no bun)

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    About one week with no grains except oatmeal once and I am freaking CRAVING bread, crackers, cookies, anything with dough, flour etc.

How am I doing so far?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    You are detoxing, stick with it. It's working. It'll only last a few days.
  • Options
    Will do. Got some good coaching from a friend who was vegetarian for years but moved much closer to Paleo, Some good encouragement!

• Options
    I felt pretty bad for the first week. probably from the detox of sodas and refined sugars.
    I would get a little dizzy, but it passed within the week.
    now I get that same feeling when I eat anything non paleo approved.
    yeah, I have cheated once or twice. :(

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    When it comes to diets, I'm always a bit skeptical. I've seen so many books on various diets come and go over the years, it makes my head spin- not to mention what I've read on-line etc. Every time a new fad diet comes out it is declared "THE" diet to beat all diets. I think if we are really concerned for our health we need to take in more factors than those presented by ONE diet and consider a bigger picture (more on that shortly).

After taking some more time to look at the pros and cons of the Paleo Diet, I find some major benefits but also some major flaws.

Major benefits: (we probably all agree on the so I will just list them)
    -Promotes healthy fruits, vegetables, nuts and seeds
    -emphasis on avoiding sugar, chemical additives and processed foods.
    -emphasis on whole foods

Major flaws: (these I will expand on for further explanation)
    -Encourages the consumption of too much meat.
    It makes sense to me to balance ones diet. Some paleo diets types emphasis beef, pork and lamb over poultry. Poultry is lower in saturated fats and is lower on the food chain.

-Cruelty to animal
    Sure, some animals locally raised for human consumption are done so in a humane way but we all know most are not. That includes poultry as well as livestock. A world of 7 billion people eating paleo would hugely increase this cruelty.

-Paleo ignores the fact that a large intake of meat increases consumption of unhealthy saturated fats
    This is just plain fact regarding eating mammals and ungulates such as cows, pigs and lamb. You can easily find information on this with a minimal amount of research.

-Paleo Diet is unsustainable
    This is the bigger picture part. There is no way 7 billion people can eat Paleo. It would literally take two earths to provide the resources to do this. The paleo emphasis on eating meat is both irresponsible and destructive to the environment in which we live. Destroy ones land base and we destroy ourselves.

I'm not objecting to a modified version of this diet where small amounts of meat, especially poultry are consumed but the over-emphasis on meat meat meat in Paleo I find is irresponsible. I don't include fish in this discussion because although I believe certain fish were once a healthy choice, it is well documented that our oceans have been over fished and the fish that do live in the ocean live in what is quickly turning into a global toxic cesspool.

I know there will be some strong objections to what I've written here and I'm good with that so fire away. Just do me one favor- please keep it civil- and do yourself another favor- please consider reading the following links before responding from the hip:

http://www.onegreenplanet.org/vegan-food/10-arguments-against-the-paleo-diet/

http://grist.org/food/michael-pollan-explains-whats-wrong-with-the-paleo-diet/

• Options
    The unsustainable thing stands out to me. That, to me, says it's impossible to eat healthy worldwide.

Yes, grains will sustain, but I'll go without. Grains have too many negative factors for me, but I can see why they would be a benefit to a poverty stricken region.
  • Options
    unsung said:

The unsustainable thing stands out to me. That, to me, says it's impossible to eat healthy worldwide.

Yes, grains will sustain, but I'll go without. Grains have too many negative factors for me, but I can see why they would be a benefit to a poverty stricken region.

So true. Human population has at least reached if not surpassed carrying capacity.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    i don't use wikipedia much but check this
    in 1800 world population was 1 billion. by 2012 the population was 7 billion & is gaining 75 million annually.

pop growth rate = P(t2) - P(t1) divided by P(t1)

yeah ok :-t

being a math professor must be a fucking hoot. wish i was gifted like that
    here's the deal... i'm gonna eat: cow, fish, chicken, turkey, pork, buffalo, elk, moose, deer & whatever else & in smaller portions. im gonna eat vegetables & fruits, seeds & nuts until my head spins off out of control. i've never seeded any children, although i'm a fine & super duper adult with a whole herd of young ppl, middle age ppl & older ppl who enjoy my awesomeness.

it is not a good idea to call things diets or even go on a diet. yes i've used the tern diet before & in this thread. i was to lazy to type it out any different. all one must do is eat small healthy portions & avoid stupid fucking bullshit. it's rather simple once ya get the hang of it. & this is from a guy who has over did everything... two cheese burgers, 18 beers, half a 5th of whiskey, wake up drunk & eat a ridiculous breakfast of biscuits & gravy, cream & sugar in coffee & deep fried chicken/fish for supper & another party w/ just as much alcohol & stuff food & dumbasshole snacks & it's fucking shameful. plus i drove a truck cross country for 10 or 12 yrs & ate before sleeping & many meals were hazardous. i also packed a cooler fulla fruit & veggies.... i always eat insane amounts of fruit & veggies or like when in the semi truck i drank low sodium v8 juice & gallons of water were nearly up in my rear

again, it isn't dieting, it's changing one's lifestyle & eating good fucking stuff

a large pepperoni pizza is not good fucking food. add beers & whiskey & chips & you're fucked. i'll try to avoid using the word diet here on out. i'm not on a fucking diet, i'm happy (i'm very far from miserable) & i'm eating healthy & swimming my self senseless. i'm not starving over here at all. craving stupid shit is over. no desires for alcohol, no cravings for marijuana, this is really nice

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Population_growth
    Post edited by chadwick on

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    I eat organic food, it's what our grandparents called food.

It's weird, if you eat processed packaged goods that is considered the normal diet, but if you eat clean it's considered a fad diet.
  • Options
    unsung said:

I eat organic food, it's what our grandparents called food.

It's weird, if you eat processed packaged goods that is considered the normal diet, but if you eat clean it's considered a fad diet.

I guess this proves the power of corporate advertisement has been $ well spent.

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    edited October 2014
    1). certified 100% organic hen feed, grown w/out the use of chemicals or artificial fertilizers
    2). cage free hen produced eggs
    3). enriched w/ vitamin e
    4). no hormones, antibiotics, or animal by-products

today one dozen store bought, store brand large brown organic eggs are over twice the cost of your standard one dozen, "who gives a frigg eggs."

$4.49 certified organic
    $1.99 who gives a frigg (i think this price has went up as well)

before long a dozen organic store bought eggs will be $5
    but that's 12 breakfasts - add mushroom, onion, peppers & pork or turkey bacon or whatever
    im still reeling over the one pound ground buffalo @ $9 & groud elk the same. it was just $5 a lb. how the frigg?

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    bison and grass fed beef prices are crazy man,
    I find myself eating more and more chicken/fish.

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    a nice little filet of salmon, pollock or cod are each $1.49
    how the frigg can you go wrong with that? i eat this alot & chicken.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    exactly. I eat A LOT of salmon. :))

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    Mix it up a little.

Try this coffee drinkers.

Find yourself an organic coffee bean.

Grind it and brew a cup.

Mix in Kerrygold grassfed butter, a decent pat. Add 1tbsp MCT oil. Shake. Serve.

Enjoy the enlightenment.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    mct oil?

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options