Backing in to parking spots

Comments

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    RKCNDY wrote:
    mca47 wrote:
    That's exactly the point of this thread. You purchase a pickup for whatever reason and there is something...something that makes a pickup owner think "I gotta back this baby in!"
    I just want to know, if pickup driver drives a compact car. Does he still feel the need to put er in backwards?

:fp:

Larger pick-ups (half ton and larger) have a wider turning radius, hence the need to back-in to a parking stall (in tight spaces).

Smaller pick-ups don't need to do that, they are basically El Caminos.

I don't feel the need to back the Honda in, it turns on a dime.

Some pick-up owners just do it because they think they are 'big trucks' and want to run with the big dogs.

or the driver isn't talented
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    who knew 'pick-up envy' was i thing
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    RKCNDY wrote:
    Larger pick-ups (half ton and larger) have a wider turning radius, hence the need to back-in to a parking stall (in tight spaces).
    Ok, larger turning radius...I get it. But wouldn't that also apply to pulling OUT of the stall? If the radius is so worrisome pulling in, shouldn't it also be the same getting out? Turn too soon, you scrape the car next to you. Turn too late, you hit the cars on the other side. :?
    Back in high school, first part of college (in the summer) I used to work at a Chrysler plant. Basically, I'd take cars off the assembly line and park them in a location for shipment. We'd also take cars off trains and put others on depending on where they were going. Pretty dumb job, but it paid well.
    We used to park Dodge Rams, many were extended cabs and dualies, in a cramped lot face in. We'd also then back them out as any other car. Nobody ever had issues. :?
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,181
    shep wrote:
    g under p wrote:
    When parking into a parking spot one SHOULD ALWAYS try to back into that spot no matter the vehecle. Several reasons why.....easier to leave that spot, easier to spot children or adults walking by your truck and for me most importantly of your lights are left on or your truck or car can't start much easier to get a jump or the ability to work on the vehicle's problem.

Also one more thing if you have the audacity to commit a crime that sort of parking makes for
    a quick getaway. :mrgreen:

Peace

I don't own a truck, but I always, always back in.

It is safer to get out. I won't tell you how many times I've almost been clipped in a parking lot by some fucktard backing out who doesn't even bother to look before he starts backing up.

81 wrote:
    JK_Livin wrote:
    I don't own a truck. The only time I feel it's necessary to back in is while at a concert or sporting event so you can get the F out quickly.

Now let's talk about the people that pull through one spot to park on the other side of head to head spots. Technically it's a moving violation and you can be ticketed. Annoys the crap out of me when I'm about to pull in a spot and someone is pulling through to park or exit.

that's called a pull thru....i fail to see the issue.fuckin jersey.

In Canadian driver's ed, they actually teach you to do this, as the pull through is the safest way to park a car - no backing up period.

I've never heard of that being a moving violation - and I do it on an almost daily basis.... and believe me, if a Texas cop could give you a fucking ticket for it, they wouldn't hesitate... :x

Also one more thing advantage to back into a parking spot if you have a truck that is depending on the length of the bed. A quarter of the bed when backed in can rest over the parking back stop instead of the opposite where that same portion would stick out in driver's path waiting to get clipped.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

Hasn't technology also taken away the safety issue if backing OUT of a stall? I know not all trucks have them, but new trucks almost always offer rearview cameras and sonar beepers. You therefore don't have to worry about running over a kid or a midget. :lol:
    I see brand new trucks parked back-in where you can clearly see the camera and backup sensors on the bumper. They just do it to do it. :fp:
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    mca47 wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:
    Ok, larger turning radius...I get it. But wouldn't that also apply to pulling OUT of the stall? If the radius is so worrisome pulling in, shouldn't it also be the same getting out? Turn too soon, you scrape the car next to you. Turn too late, you hit the cars on the other side. :?

It's hard to explain, all I can say is the wheel distance between the front wheels and back wheels is much longer than on a car/SUV. Like when I am making a right turn in the truck, I can't turn the steering wheel right away like I do in the Honda, I have to wait till I get farther past the curb before I can start turning the wheel, or I will take out the pedestrian on the corner.

I have made a right turn out of a parking lot, take the turn too tight, and pop the curb.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    RKCNDY wrote:

It's hard to explain, all I can say is the wheel distance between the front wheels and back wheels is much longer than on a car/SUV. Like when I am making a right turn in the truck, I can't turn the steering wheel right away like I do in the Honda, I have to wait till I get farther past the curb before I can start turning the wheel, or I will take out the pedestrian on the corner.

I have made a right turn out of a parking lot, take the turn too tight, and pop the curb.

Radius and distance should be the same going in or out of a stall. It's the same circle/turning angle pulling in OR out. Like I said, I used to drive extended cab and dualies for a job. Probably drove a couple thousand of them. Never had a problem pulling it in normally, or backing out...
    mca47 wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:

Radius and distance should be the same going in or out of a stall. It's the same circle/turning angle pulling in OR out. Like I said, I used to drive extended cab and dualies for a job. Probably drove a couple thousand of them. Never had a problem pulling it in normally, or backing out...

but the turning radius of a compact car and a full size truck are different. I've tried to back out of parking stalls, and it's really difficult to see anybody zipping thru the lot. I only back in to a spot in the truck, I can barely see over the hood and all...
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    RKCNDY wrote:

but the turning radius of a compact car and a full size truck are different. I've tried to back out of parking stalls, and it's really difficult to see anybody zipping thru the lot. I only back in to a spot in the truck, I can barely see over the hood and all...
    I'm not necessarily comparing the turning radius of a car to a truck. We know the truck's radius is larger. I guess what I'm getting at is the over all turning radius of the truck. If you think of the turning radius as a circle (which it is) parking the truck will essentially be a fraction of that circle (simple geometry). That same fraction of that same circle is the same whether you're pulling in or out of a stall. Backing in or pulling in both requires the car to be in reverse and in drive. No matter how you look at it, it's covering the same area. Therefore is no benefit of backing in as you are covering the same ground. I get the whole "safety" thing of backing out of a stall, but my head has this amazing ability to turn and look backwards. Unless you are parked directly next to two giant vans, you should still be able to see what's coming in either direction and what's behind you by turning your head....like you do when you back in. And as I mentioned in an earlier post...most pickups have better views/vantage points while backing up than most cars/SUVs.
  • peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    Jesus Christ :lol:
    Jesus Christ :lol:
    I know right? Some people just don't make any sense! :lol:
  • dougfloyddougfloyd Posts: 2,580
    I never back in because we've always had a SUV and now a wagon with a hatchback so makes it easier to load the groceries in the back. It's all about whatever makes it easier to put things in the rear...
    1998 - Noblesville
    2000 - Noblesville
    2010 - Noblesville
    2011 - EV solo St Louis, PJ20 Alpine Valley
    2012 - San Fran (Oracle)
    2013 - Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincy, St Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Lexington, Wrigley
    2018 - Wrigley
    2022 - Nashville, St Louis
    2024 - Noblesville, Wrigley
  • CAVSTARR313CAVSTARR313 Posts: 8,756
    dougfloyd wrote:
    It's all about whatever makes it easier to put things in the rear...

I couldn't agree more..

I, too, have a SUV.. :think:
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    what happened
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    mca47 wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:

I'm not necessarily comparing the turning radius of a car to a truck. We know the truck's radius is larger. I guess what I'm getting at is the over all turning radius of the truck. If you think of the turning radius as a circle (which it is) parking the truck will essentially be a fraction of that circle (simple geometry). That same fraction of that same circle is the same whether you're pulling in or out of a stall. Backing in or pulling in both requires the car to be in reverse and in drive. No matter how you look at it, it's covering the same area. Therefore is no benefit of backing in as you are covering the same ground. I get the whole "safety" thing of backing out of a stall, but my head has this amazing ability to turn and look backwards. Unless you are parked directly next to two giant vans, you should still be able to see what's coming in either direction and what's behind you by turning your head....like you do when you back in. And as I mentioned in an earlier post...most pickups have better views/vantage points while backing up than most cars/SUVs.

Ever think that a shorter person doesn't see all the same things you see? I can turn around, look behind me, not see anything, and there could be a car right there.

- Christopher McCandless
    I like trains

Thread is derailed, lock it up :P
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    RKCNDY wrote:
    mca47 wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:

Ever think that a shorter person doesn't see all the same things you see? I can turn around, look behind me, not see anything, and there could be a car right there.
    Maybe you shouldn't be driving a truck you can't see out of... :think:
  • peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    mca47 wrote:

A valid point
    RKCNDY wrote:
    mca47 wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:

Soooo...how do you back into a stall if you can't see backwards? :fp:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    mca47 wrote:

:roll:

I can see trees and buildings and all that other taller shit behind me, I cannot see another car if it is directly behind me.
    mca47 wrote:

I didn't have a choice, it's not like I get to choose, oh hey, I'll just drive this car now. I had 2 vehicles, and somebody else was driving my Honda. I've already said that I have no problem putting the camper into the back of the bed.

Sheesh!

- Christopher McCandless
    i was at the store last night....saw about 4 or 5 cars "backed in" or "pulled thru" didn't see any trucks or suv's in that position.

:corn:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    Hahaha! I guess it doesn't matter if you're backing in or out of a spot if your brakes fail! :lol:
    That said, how in god's name do brakes "fail". Even if the pad are worn all the way down and the power brakes stop working....pretty sure you can apply enough force to stop a car that's moving 5 mph.
    Oh well! :lol:
    RKCNDY wrote:
    mca47 wrote:

:roll:

I can see trees and buildings and all that other taller shit behind me, I cannot see another car if it is directly behind me.
    mca47 wrote:

I didn't have a choice, it's not like I get to choose, oh hey, I'll just drive this car now. I had 2 vehicles, and somebody else was driving my Honda. I've already said that I have no problem putting the camper into the back of the bed.

Sheesh!
    :lol: I'm just f'n with ya'! ;)
    mca47 wrote:
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    Hahaha! I guess it doesn't matter if you're backing in or out of a spot if your brakes fail! :lol:
    That said, how in god's name do brakes "fail". Even if the pad are worn all the way down and the power brakes stop working....pretty sure you can apply enough force to stop a car that's moving 5 mph.

brake hose cracks
    o ring gives

obviously, there is always the emergency brake option unless that is rusted up.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    81 wrote:
    mca47 wrote:
    rick1zoo2 wrote:

brake hose cracks
    o ring gives

obviously, there is always the emergency brake option unless that is rusted up.

I know right where that is, not sure how they managed go right in the door, they could have steared away from it easy enough. I will actually be going over that way later, its right by the grocery store.
    81 wrote:
    i was at the store last night....saw about 4 or 5 cars "backed in" or "pulled thru" didn't see any trucks or suv's in that position.

I generally park away from people...especially in grocery store lots. Too many door dingers out there. Too many old people in town now too. Oh, that and people are lazy as shit here and don't return their carts to the cart corrals. Lazy bastards! :x
    That said, I parked out away from everyone yesterday. Out in the middle of no where were two back ins/drive throughs. One a small Nissan pickup, the other a giant ass van. No other cars were within 10 stalls of them and they felt the need to back it in. :fp:

Quick story that doesn't really help my argument at all but here goes...
    A couple months ago I ran to the store/farmers market for lunch. Walk out and this giant Cadillac starts up. I walk past. Old bastard throws it in reverse and hits me! Not my car....ME! The only thing I could do was hop up on his trunk. He stops, I slide off. He gets out and at first was like "Are you ok?" He then gets mad and tried to blame me for it! I told him that he better get into his car otherwise my hip might start hurting and I know some good lawyers! :lol:
    mca47 wrote:
    81 wrote:

I generally park away from people...especially in grocery store lots. Too many door dingers out there. Too many old people in town now too. Oh, that and people are lazy as shit here and don't return their carts to the cart corrals. Lazy bastards! :x
    That said, I parked out away from everyone yesterday. Out in the middle of no where were two back ins/drive throughs. One a small Nissan pickup, the other a giant ass van. No other cars were within 10 stalls of them and they felt the need to back it in. :fp:

Quick story that doesn't really help my argument at all but here goes...
    A couple months ago I ran to the store/farmers market for lunch. Walk out and this giant Cadillac starts up. I walk past. Old bastard throws it in reverse and hits me! Not my car....ME! The only thing I could do was hop up on his trunk. He stops, I slide off. He gets out and at first was like "Are you ok?" He then gets mad and tried to blame me for it! I told him that he better get into his car otherwise my hip might start hurting and I know some good lawyers! :lol:

:lol::lol:

i love parking by you back of lot parkers. always makes me laugh
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg