Backing in to parking spots

Comments

• g under pg under p Posts: 18,181
    So are we to believe that ease of getting out of a spot supersedes ease of getting into a spot?
    ABSOLUTELY.....either that or one just doesn't know how to park period. I can park anything..... into any tight hole.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    JK_Livin wrote:
    I don't own a truck. The only time I feel it's necessary to back in is while at a concert or sporting event so you can get the F out quickly.

Now let's talk about the people that pull through one spot to park on the other side of head to head spots. Technically it's a moving violation and you can be ticketed. Annoys the crap out of me when I'm about to pull in a spot and someone is pulling through to park or exit.

that's called a pull thru....i fail to see the issue.fuckin jersey.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    So are we to believe that ease of getting out of a spot supersedes ease of getting into a spot?

hehe.... 'spot'
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    81 wrote:
    JK_Livin wrote:
    I don't own a truck. The only time I feel it's necessary to back in is while at a concert or sporting event so you can get the F out quickly.

Now let's talk about the people that pull through one spot to park on the other side of head to head spots. Technically it's a moving violation and you can be ticketed. Annoys the crap out of me when I'm about to pull in a spot and someone is pulling through to park or exit.

It's illegal and annoying. It mostly means that a person isn't confident in their driving ability.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    JK_Livin wrote:
    81 wrote:
    JK_Livin wrote:

It's illegal and annoying. It mostly means that a person isn't confident in their driving ability.

i would disagree in the confidence thing. i do pull thru's to avoid the back out. pull in, pull out. win/win. never heard it being illegal before. sounds like a bit of over regulation...do cops patrol the local home depot lot looking to ticket these people.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    mca47 wrote:
    Why is it that in any parking lot, the majority of pickup trucks are "backed in"?
    It's pretty amazing.

What is it about owning a pickup that makes you want to back it up all the time? They can clearly pull in just as easy as anyone else...
    Is it some sort of pickup truck driver mentality? If a pickup truck driver was driving a buddy's non-pickup car, would he immediately think "better back this baby in" or is it the truck itself that makes you do it?
    Some sort of macho thing...like everything has to be a challenge?
    Do pickup truck drivers see a pickup that isn't backed into a spot and think less of the other pickup truck driver?

:?
    Hmmm...

Thoughts?

You would think they would want people to see their "chevy pissing on ford" bumper sticker...strange.
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • know1know1 Posts: 6,794
    It's easier to back a large vehicle into a tight spot than pull in directly. You can turn sharper.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    I back that caddy up all the time :P
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    pandora wrote:
    I back that caddy up all the time :P

:fp:
  • cubBEE_girlcubBEE_girl Posts: 3,365
    Are you guys still talking about parking in this thread? :? :lol:
    I lost a bet...

I thought the topic was 'backing in'
  • cubBEE_girlcubBEE_girl Posts: 3,365
    rick1zoo2 wrote:

Oh, right...'backing in'. ;):lol::lol:
    I lost a bet...
    rick1zoo2 wrote:

;)
  • kw18kw18 Posts: 3,909
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    rick1zoo2 wrote:

;)

Beep ... beep ... beep ...
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
  • shepshep Posts: 5,761
    g under p wrote:
    When parking into a parking spot one SHOULD ALWAYS try to back into that spot no matter the vehecle. Several reasons why.....easier to leave that spot, easier to spot children or adults walking by your truck and for me most importantly of your lights are left on or your truck or car can't start much easier to get a jump or the ability to work on the vehicle's problem.

Also one more thing if you have the audacity to commit a crime that sort of parking makes for
    a quick getaway. :mrgreen:

Peace

I don't own a truck, but I always, always back in.

It is safer to get out. I won't tell you how many times I've almost been clipped in a parking lot by some fucktard backing out who doesn't even bother to look before he starts backing up.

81 wrote:
    JK_Livin wrote:

In Canadian driver's ed, they actually teach you to do this, as the pull through is the safest way to park a car - no backing up period.

I've never heard of that being a moving violation - and I do it on an almost daily basis.... and believe me, if a Texas cop could give you a fucking ticket for it, they wouldn't hesitate... :x
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    shep wrote:

In Canadian driver's ed, they actually teach you to do this, as the pull through is the safest way to park a car - no backing up period.

I've never heard of that being a moving violation - and I do it on an almost daily basis.... and believe me, if a Texas cop could give you a fucking ticket for it, they wouldn't hesitate... :x

It is

I did it during a driving day in driver's ed and was told not to do that again until I got my license.
    are these pull thru issues for angles spots or for straight spots? is everywhere or just specific places like a campus?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    are these pull thru issues for angles spots or for straight spots? is everywhere or just specific places like a campus?

It was a straight pull through for me
    81 wrote:

It was a straight pull through for me

dumbest thing ever then....if you have the option to pull thru, take it.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,423
    it's always fun to sit behind these people taking their good old time backing into a spot.

oh and trucks and suv's should have their own parking spots...far away from the entrances. try parking a car at a convenience store between two trucks or two suv's. getting out of that is a pain in the ass and basically totally blind.

jk_livin - i do the pull thru at shopping centers and the stadium lots all the time. much easier to get out, especially in a crowd.
    81 wrote:

I do

The instructor just had my back... they mark you down on the exam for it.
    pjhawks wrote:
    oh and trucks and suv's should have their own parking spots...far away from the entrances. try parking a car at a convenience store between two trucks or two suv's. getting out of that is a pain in the ass and basically totally blind.

could just be you. ;)

i drove a sports car for years and never had an issue.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

could just be you. ;)

you have probably never been in a WAWA (convenience store in Philly area) parking lot then. :D
    pjhawks wrote:
    81 wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

could just be you. ;)

you have probably never been in a WAWA (convenience store in Philly area) parking lot then. :D

i might have walked by one. :lol: never driven in philly. do you guys have super skinny spaces or something
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:

i might have walked by one. :lol: never driven in philly. do you guys have super skinny spaces or something

WAWAs are like the busiest parking lots in the world. since it's pretty much the greatest store in the world (gas, hoagies and sandwiches, coffee, etc.) the lots have a constant turnover. and it's a haven for blue collar workers in their trucks for morning coffee and lunches. and well since i'm there like 2 or 3 times a day i guess i see lots of people backing in and lots of trucks and suv's.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    What about when you fall in the Seinfeld moment (im not talking about parallel parking). Truck pulls past a spot, you think "sweet", go to pull in like a normal person, when pickup guy throws in in reverse for the same spot.
    mca47 wrote:
    What about when you fall in the Seinfeld moment (im not talking about parallel parking). Truck pulls past a spot, you think "sweet", go to pull in like a normal person, when pickup guy throws in in reverse for the same spot.

if a car is behind me, i just pull in...then again, i pull in 90% of the time anyways.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    this thread is full of #thatswhatshesaid :lol:

anywho, 81 is correct. Actually, in UPS driver training, they teach drivers to back into parking spots, it is much safer to 'drive out' of a parking spot rather than trying to back out and you can't see behind you.

I drive a 3/4 ton pic-up (so it's not a small vehicle by any means). My parking style is dependent on the parking lot.

larger strip mall lot=park in the farther out stalls, if I can pull thru to the other side, I will.
    small strip mall lot=back in, lots of people speed thru those lots
    downtown/parallel=I don't think about driving the truck downtown

I'm an expert at backing in to parking spots, and even backing in to put the camper in the bed... 8-)
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    81 wrote:

never heard of that being illegal either and i'm racking my brain trying to figure out why some asshole would make it a violation :?

as for backing in, it's easier...nothing more, nothing less
  • guacamolejoeguacamolejoe Posts: 2,396
    RKCNDY wrote:
    this thread is full of #thatswhatshesaid :lol:

anywho, 81 is correct. Actually, in UPS driver training, they teach drivers to back into parking spots, it is much safer to 'drive out' of a parking spot rather than trying to back out and you can't see behind you.

I drive a 3/4 ton pic-up (so it's not a small vehicle by any means). My parking style is dependent on the parking lot.

larger strip mall lot=park in the farther out stalls, if I can pull thru to the other side, I will.
    small strip mall lot=back in, lots of people speed thru those lots
    downtown/parallel=I don't think about driving the truck downtown

I'm an expert at backing in to parking spots, and even backing in to put the camper in the bed... 8-)

Now I'm having UPS flashbacks :-o
    So, What you Giving ?........ (Thanks Speedy, Alesek, & Arq+friends)
    What You Giving

I suggest you step out on your Porch.
    Run away my son. See it all. Oh, See the World!