Yield
    Ten
    Pearl Jam
    No Code
    Vitalogy
    Backspacer
    Riot Act
    Binaural

I love the S/T album. I'm always surprised how many people put it last. I think a lot of it depends on where you are at personally when the album comes out. For whatever reason S/T really struck a chord with me.
  • Options
    samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    Vs.
    Yield
    Binaural
    Ten
    No Code
    Vitalogy
    Pearl Jam
    Riot Act
    Backspacer
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • Options
    people are killing backspacer here
    Does that really surprise you?

A little...wouldn't surprise me that it is near the bottom of everyone's list, but almost everyone has it dead last. That's a bit of a shock, but I seem to always be in the minority with that album. Amongst the Waves is easily my least favorite track, and most people think it's one of the best.

It's interesting what happens over time...I used to listen to Avocado all the time. Now I couldn't say when the last time I listened to it was
    Download the unofficial <a href="http://bit.ly/PJStatTracker">Pearl Jam Stat Tracker</a> app for iPhone/iPad. It's <em>FREE.</em>

PM me with any comments or suggestions for the app - or weigh in <a href="http://forums.pearljam.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=167611
    ">here</a>.
    or
    <a href="http://www.facebook.com/pjstattracker">Join the discussion on facebook</a>

• Options
    Big Bank HankBig Bank Hank Seattle, WA Posts: 8,639
    people are killing backspacer here
    Does that really surprise you?

A little...wouldn't surprise me that it is near the bottom of everyone's list, but almost everyone has it dead last. That's a bit of a shock, but I seem to always be in the minority with that album. Amongst the Waves is easily my least favorite track, and most people think it's one of the best.

It's interesting what happens over time...I used to listen to Avocado all the time. Now I couldn't say when the last time I listened to it was
    sorry Johnny Guitar is atrocious, it sounds like they are trying to fit a square peg in around hole, I have to change my Pearl Jam radio every time that song comes on
  • Options
    sorry Johnny Guitar is atrocious, it sounds like they are trying to fit a square peg in around hole, I have to change my Pearl Jam radio every time that song comes on

I love Johnny Guitar...not the most accessible song, though, I'll give you that.
    Download the unofficial <a href="http://bit.ly/PJStatTracker">Pearl Jam Stat Tracker</a> app for iPhone/iPad. It's <em>FREE.</em>

PM me with any comments or suggestions for the app - or weigh in <a href="http://forums.pearljam.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=167611
    ">here</a>.
    or
    <a href="http://www.facebook.com/pjstattracker">Join the discussion on facebook</a>

• Options
    edited February 2013

I love Johnny Guitar...not the most accessible song, though, I'll give you that.
    sorry, hate it, easily my least favorite Pearl Jam song ever, including all the weird sonic experiments they put on some records, and all their unreleased stuff as well, and I would bet it is the least listened to song on the album as well? and I would of lost, apparently a lot of people listen to it to hear Just Go Away, I mean Just Breathe, because it has more listens than Supersonic, Speed Of Sound, Force Of Nature and The End which I think are all awesome songs, but Just Go Away has way more listens than any other song, shockingly, or maybe not so much with today's musical tastes of the masses http://www.last.fm/music/Pearl+Jam/Backspacer
    Post edited by Big Bank Hank on
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    KB262864 wrote:
    Vs.
    Yield
    Ten
    Pearl Jam
    No Code
    Vitalogy
    Backspacer
    Riot Act
    Binaural

I love the S/T album. I'm always surprised how many people put it last. I think a lot of it depends on where you are at personally when the album comes out. For whatever reason S/T really struck a chord with me.

Really liked ST when it was released but once I saw songs performed live, really brought them out as great songs.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    edited February 2013
    Yield
    Vs.
    Ten
    Vitology
    Lost Dogs :D
    Riot Act
    Pearl Jam
    Binaural
    No Code
    Backspacer
    Post edited by callen on
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,772
    These lists are a great example of how everyone's tastes are at least a little different. I have a friend with whom I have a lot in common in terms of musical tastes but sometimes they vary quite a bit. I played some of Link Wray's 1971 self-titled album once and he said, "How can you stand to listen to this shit?" I happen to love that album. Another time I showed him some of the "Immagine in Cornice" DVD once and he yawned and said, "I really get tired of U2's histrionics". I said this is Pearl Jam, not U2. He said, "Well, I just don't see what the big deal is with U2 and all that yelling." He wouldn't even acknowledge that we were watching Pearl Jam. Imagine that! :x

But yes, we're still friends.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    ckravitzckravitz NJ Posts: 1,668
    DewieCox wrote:
    When you set a standard of quality, musically, lyrically, and artistically and live up to it for so long and then miss the mark by a wide margin people are going to take notice.

Completely fair and I think we actually agree. I'm just saying that the music is their ultimate prize possession and it's just odd how some (not you) are quick to feel the need to defend the band on their album release schedule, touring, etc ...sometimes getting downright nasty about it....but then have no problem being OVERLY critical of the actual music. Anyway, I'm completely derailing the thread so I'll be quiet now! :D
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,313
    1. Yield
    2. Riot Act
    3. Vitalogy
    4. Ten
    5. Pearl Jam
    6. No Code
    7. Vs
    8. Binaural
    8.5 Backspacer

I really didn't want to put Backspacer last, it just kinda happened! I really like it as an album but I guess I just like the others more. They did set a pretty high standard with the first 8 after all.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    fall by the waysidefall by the wayside Jericho, VT Posts: 753
    1. Yield
    2. Vitalogy
    3. No Code
    4. Vs.
    5. Ten
    6. Riot Act
    7. Backspacer
    8. Pearl Jam
    9. Binaural
    9/13/98, 10/4/00, 4/29/03, 6/29/03, 7/2/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 9/15/05, 9/16/05, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 9/11/11, 9/12/11, 10/19/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/25/13, 10/27/13, 9/26/15, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/5/16, 8/7/16, 8/13/18, 9/2/18, 9/4/18, 9/26/21, 9/1/22, 9/2/22, 9/14/22, 9/18/23, 9/19/23
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,928
    No code/Yield.....it depends on the day.
    Vitalogy
    Ten
    Vs
    Self titled
    Backspacer
    Binaural
    Riot act
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Ten
    Vs.
    Vitalogy
    Yield
    No Code
    Avocado
    Riot Act
    Binaural
    Backspacer

I've looked at most and this list is the best list!
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    shortstackshortstack Posts: 2,339
    it changes from time to time

No Code
    Vs
    Vitalogy
    Ten
    Yield
    S/T
    Binaural
    Riot Act
    Backspacer
    did you see me? i saw you.
  • Options
    meveretmeveret Posts: 110
    I agree Hank I only ranked Vitalogy high because of the strength of a few songs but a lot of the stuff on there isn't actual songs. Some of the experiments are cool, Stupid Mop especially, don't get me wrong but I mean you can't compare stupid mop to Alive or Parting Ways etc. Backspacer I really just didn't like.

I put Vitalogy at the bottom, just because I don't like the sonic experiments and some of those aren't even real songs, ruins the flow of the record for me, sort of the way Johnny Guitar ruins the flow of Backspacer, so while there are some songs I really love on Vitalogy, it just doesn't have the natural flow that most of the other records do, so it is the hardest album for me to enjoy start to finish, and judging by some peoples lists I know that may be an unpopular stance, but hey their my ears, and if you enjoy the whole album their your ears :D
    Hamilton, ON 9/13/2005
    Albany NY 5/12/2006
    Mansfield, MA 6/28/2008
    Buffalo, NY 5/10/2010
    Hamilton, ON 9/15/2011
    Buffalo, NY 10/12/2013
  • Options
    Yield
    No Code ( The top 2 flip flop from time to time ;) )
    Ten
    Vs
    Vitalogy
    Binaural
    Pearl Jam
    Riot Act
    Backspacer
  • Options
    ranked the songs on Vitalogy 1-10 just finished listening

Last Exit 8
    Spin The Black Circle 8
    Not For You 9.5
    Tremor Christ 8
    Nothingman 9
    Whipping 7
    Pry, To 2
    Corduroy 10
    Bugs 6
    Satan's Bed 8
    Betterman 5
    Aye Davanita 2
    Immortality 10
    Hey, Foxymophandlemama, That's Me 3
  • Options
    Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329
    No Code
    Yield
    Vitalogy
    VS
    Ten
    Riot Act
    Self-Titled
    Binaural
    Backspacer
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,150
    Vs
    No Code
    Ten
    Yield
    Vitalogy
    Binaural
    Riot Act
    Self Titled
    Backspacer

I should say that I love them all equally - each record is special for personal reasons. This is probably rep of how I listen to them.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Another problem with this album is that I really am sick of Corduroy and Betterman. Its a great song but I will take a lot of PJ songs over it. It is probably how some fans who've heard Evenflow non-stop feel, although I can't quite tire of it. Not For You, Nothingman, Satan's Bed, Immortality are all up there high for me but yeah some of the crap like Pry to drags it down.

Last Exit 8
    Spin The Black Circle 8
    Not For You 9.5
    Tremor Christ 8
    Nothingman 9
    Whipping 7
    Pry, To 2
    Corduroy 10
    Bugs 6
    Satan's Bed 8
    Betterman 5
    Aye Davanita 2
    Immortality 10
    Hamilton, ON 9/13/2005
    Albany NY 5/12/2006
    Mansfield, MA 6/28/2008
    Buffalo, NY 5/10/2010
    Hamilton, ON 9/15/2011
    Buffalo, NY 10/12/2013
  • Options
    Ten
    No Code
    Vitalogy
    Vs
    Riot Act
    Binaural
    Yield
    Backspacer
    (Eponymous)

I don't mind saying Ten is my favourite, I discovered it at a time in my life when you're hyper-receptive to music (i.e early to mid teens), and that album was the beginning of everything.

I always have a tough time ranking PJ albums, it changes with time. I didn't used to care for Riot Act and Binaural at all, then after a while I got it somehow and they sound richer and better each time.
  • Options
    I thought I posted mine but I guess it didn't go through. Here goes:

1)Ten
    2)Vs.
    3)Vitalogy
    4)Binaural
    5)No Code
    6)Avocado
    Riot Act and Yield are tied
    Backspacer
    Hamilton, ON 9/13/2005
    Albany NY 5/12/2006
    Mansfield, MA 6/28/2008
    Buffalo, NY 5/10/2010
    Hamilton, ON 9/15/2011
    Buffalo, NY 10/12/2013
  • Options
    You have the most similar list to me sir nice choices.
    Ten
    Vs.
    Binaural
    Vitalogy
    Avocado
    Riot Act
    No Code
    Yield
    Backspacer
    Hamilton, ON 9/13/2005
    Albany NY 5/12/2006
    Mansfield, MA 6/28/2008
    Buffalo, NY 5/10/2010
    Hamilton, ON 9/15/2011
    Buffalo, NY 10/12/2013
  • Options
    meveret wrote:
    Another problem with this album is that I really am sick of Corduroy and Betterman. Its a great song but I will take a lot of PJ songs over it. It is probably how some fans who've heard Evenflow non-stop feel, although I can't quite tire of it. Not For You, Nothingman, Satan's Bed, Immortality are all up there high for me but yeah some of the crap like Pry to drags it down.

Last Exit 8
    Spin The Black Circle 8
    Not For You 9.5
    Tremor Christ 8
    Nothingman 9
    Whipping 7
    Pry, To 2
    Corduroy 10
    Bugs 6
    Satan's Bed 8
    Betterman 5
    Aye Davanita 2
    Immortality 10

Agreed, I am sick of reading on Twitter these clueless people quoting Betterman using the #PearlJam hash tag and they have no ####ing clue that the song is about a man beating up a woman all the time and she hasn't found the courage to leave him, they have turned into a ####ing love song!I use to give it a 10, but it has been ruined for me, by these people celebrating it, I am sure it will eventually be down to a 3 for me, this is a 10 version for me, but we will never be lucky enough to ever see this version again, who knows he may of even been writing about his own mother getting abused? the band use to just go out and kick ass on the song but now it has been turned into a campfire sing along, it lost all it's intensity for me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kV8g2av2nQ
  • Options
    Ten
    Vitalogy
    No Code
    Binaural
    Vs.
    Yield
    Riot Act
    Avocado
    Backspacer
  • Options
    Yeah Betterman is pretty enough, but I think that's the problem. It seems almost celebratory in tone so people interpret it that way I guess.It's like have these people listened to a word Ed is saying in this song, like at all or do they just hear the pretty music?
    Hamilton, ON 9/13/2005
    Albany NY 5/12/2006
    Mansfield, MA 6/28/2008
    Buffalo, NY 5/10/2010
    Hamilton, ON 9/15/2011
    Buffalo, NY 10/12/2013
  • Options
    meveret wrote:
    Yeah Betterman is pretty enough, but I think that's the problem. It seems almost celebratory in tone so people interpret it that way I guess.It's like have these people listened to a word Ed is saying in this song, like at all or do they just hear the pretty music?
    :lol:
    Eddie is one of the great poets of our generation, but people need to pay attention to the lyrics, even Stone made a comment about it on VH1 Storytellers, he found it strange that it had become such a popular love song
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,214
    meveret wrote:
    You have the most similar list to me sir nice choices.
    Ten
    Vs.
    Binaural
    Vitalogy
    Avocado
    Riot Act
    No Code
    Yield
    Backspacer
    hello there!.seems we need to go to a show together!! :)
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,772
    edited February 2013
    meveret wrote:

Betterman- I always heard it as tragic loss. It reminds me of a relationship I blew once upon a time.

Edit: not as a result of me being abusive- not at all- so my story does not follow the story line of the song other than the idea of loss.
    Post edited by brianlux on
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.