Options

No ma'am, I won't register my guns

Comments

• Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,354
    Some interesting items to digest:

15 of the last 25 worst mass shootings in the last 50 years took place in the USA. In second place is Finland with 2.
    - Well Fear... as decisive as this is in favour of your country... it's likely not something you'll place in your 'high five' thread, eh?

Of the 11 deadliest shootings in the US, five have happened from 2007 onward.
    - Hmmm. That's interesting. A 'blip' or a disturbing trend? Hmmm.

The Harvard Injury Control Research Center assessed the literature on guns and homicide and found that there’s substantial evidence that indicates more guns means more murders. This holds true whether you’re looking at different countries or different states.
    - But wait a minute... I thought guns had little impact on generating homicides? I thought that it was people that killed people... not metal things with wood handles.

Source:
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/won ... ed-states/

Again... no response to this point in time... but many references to booze, automobile and old age deaths.

The writer of the piece I referenced puts it nicely:

If roads were collapsing all across the United States, killing dozens of drivers, we would surely see that as a moment to talk about what we could do to keep roads from collapsing. If terrorists were detonating bombs in port after port, you can be sure Congress would be working to upgrade the nation’s security measures. If a plague was ripping through communities, public-health officials would be working feverishly to contain it.

Only with gun violence do we respond to repeated tragedies by saying that mourning is acceptable but discussing how to prevent more tragedies is not.

:corn:
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,185
    If roads were collapsing all across the United States, killing dozens of drivers, we would surely see that as a moment to talk about what we could do to keep roads from collapsing. If terrorists were detonating bombs in port after port, you can be sure Congress would be working to upgrade the nation’s security measures. If a plague was ripping through communities, public-health officials would be working feverishly to contain it.

Only with gun violence do we respond to repeated tragedies by saying that mourning is acceptable but discussing how to prevent more tragedies is not.
    this author makes a great point. the question is WHY can we not even discuss solutions??

i think this is the end of the thread. none of the gun rights guys can answer it.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,973

this author makes a great point. the question is WHY can we not even discuss solutions??

i think this is the end of the thread. none of the gun rights guys can answer it.

LIBERTY!

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    i think we have a first amendment that guarantees all of our right to not live in fear of your gun suprecedes the second amendment.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

• Options
    usamamasan1usamamasan1 Posts: 4,695
    You live in fear eh?
  • Options
    You live in fear eh?
    no, but some gun owners live in fear of the big nasty gubmint and that is their motivation for lots of things.

• Options
    You live in fear eh?

Of men in bunny suits? Sometimes.

• Options
    You live in fear eh?

we don't sleep with a gun like you do. So no, I'd say we don't.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    "We" huh
  • Options
    "We" huh

do I stutter?
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    Bwaahaha emoticon
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,220
    DS1119 wrote:
    you do realize there's more guns in the US than total vehicles? So for every car, truck, 18 wheeler, cop car...whatever you see on the road there is at least 1 gun and another portion of one in the US. And I am far from ignorant. there is a gun problem in the US...an illegal one...not a legal one.
    That would be a relevant point... if the numbers of gun owners equaled the number of vehicle owners. You have to look deeper into the data in order to make a relative comparison.
    So... A question, Are there there the same or relative number of gun owners as there are vehicle owners?
    Also, I see a lot of cars driving around here... in L.A. and Orange County... is it correct to presume that since there are more guns (total) than vehicles, that each one of those cars are likely to have a gun in them?
    My personal experience would tell me otherwise because I have ridden in many cars, thousands and thousands of times and have maybe only ridden in a dozen or so that contained a gun (either onboard the passenger compartment or in the trunk)... with over a half dozen of them being in military or law enforcement vehicles.
    The basic counterpoint to your statement, '...there's more guns in the US than total vehicles' is, "So? What does that prove?'
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    fortyshadesfortyshades Posts: 1,834
    You live in fear eh?

Well, if I look at your avatar, it is a bit intimidating... Is that a semi-automatic riffle you have in your hands? Yep, that is scary.
  • Options

World

The Canadian Press - ONLINE EDITION
    Biden: Consensus emerging on gun safety, plans to deliver recommendations to Obama by Tuesday

WASHINGTON - Pledging swift action to curb gun violence, Vice-President Joe Biden says he will deliver new proposals to President Barack Obama by next Tuesday.

Biden said Thursday that while he had not finalized his recommendations, a consensus was emerging over banning assault weapons and high-capacity ammunition magazines as well as tightening background checks.

Some of those measures are likely to face opposition from some pro-gun groups, most notably the National Rifle Association. A representative from the NRA met with Biden Thursday afternoon and, in a statement, suggested the group was unlikely to be a willing partner.

"We will not allow law-abiding gun owners to be blamed for the acts of criminals and madmen," the group said in a statement at the end of a 95-minute meeting.

Obama, after the horrific shooting of school children in Newtown, Conn., appointed Biden to lead a task force on preventing gun violence. He set a late January deadline for reommendations, which he pledged to act on swiftly.

The vice-president said Thursday that while no recommendations would eliminate all future mass shootings, "there has got to be some common ground, to not solve every problem but diminish the probability."

The NRA, the nation's largest gun-rights group, has worked to block gun-control efforts in the past and is opposing any new ones. In the wake of the Newtown shootings, NRA executive vice-president Wayne LaPierre rejected efforts to tighten gun laws and instead recommended putting armed guards in all schools.

LaPierre was not scheduled to attend the White House meeting. Instead, the NRA dispatched its top lobbyist, James Baker, who has worked with Biden previously on gun issues.

White House officials recognize it is unlikely the NRA will fully support measures Obama is pushing. But the administration may need to soften the NRA's opposition if it hopes to rally support from pro-gun lawmakers on Capitol Hill.

The NRA, too, seemed eager to rally its allies in Congress.

"We were disappointed with how little this meeting had to do with keeping our children safe and how much it had to do with an agenda to attack the Second Amendment," the group said in its statement.

"We will now take our commitment and meaningful contributions to members of Congress of both parties who are interested in having an honest conversation about what works — and what does not."

Biden was also meeting Thursday with sportsmen and wildlife organizations, including Ducks Unlimited, the Outdoor Industry Association and the Association of Fish and Wildlife Agencies, as well as the National Shooting Sports Foundation and the Firearms Import/Export Roundtable.

Wal-Mart, the nation's largest firearms seller, will meet separately with Attorney General Eric Holder Thursday along with other retailers such as Bass Pro Shops and Dick's Sporting Goods.

Biden has also said the administration is weighing executive action in addition to recommending legislation by Congress. Those steps could include making gun-trafficking a felony, getting the Justice Department to prosecute people caught lying on gun background-check forms and ordering federal agencies to send data to the National Gun Background Check Database.

The Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence says that about 40 per cent of gun sales are made without background checks, often at gun shows and over the Internet.

Representatives from the Brady Campaign joined other victims' groups and gun safety organizations for meetings with Biden on Wednesday. The vice-president said the steps the administration is considering could "take thousands of people out of harm's way" and improve the safety of millions more.

"I want to make it clear that we are not going to get caught up in the notion that unless we can do everything, we're going to do nothing," Biden said. "It's critically important we act."

The Newtown shootings pushed gun control to the top of Obama's domestic agenda for the first time during his presidency. He was largely silent on the hot-button political issue after the 2011 shootings in Tucson, Ariz., that killed six people and wounded 12 others, including then-Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, and the Colorado movie theatre killing of a dozen people and wounding of many more last July.

The president hopes to announce his administration's next steps to tackle gun violence shortly after he is sworn in for a second term and has pledged to push for new measures in his State of the Union address.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    otterotter Posts: 758
    y'all know that every time gun control happens violent crime goes up?
    I found my place......and it's alright
  • Options
    otter wrote:

and you are getting this concrete statistical objective information from.....?
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    otter wrote:

http://www.ncpa.org/sub/dpd/index.php?Article_ID=17847

http://www.captainsjournal.com/2012/07/ ... and-brits/

Or you could think about it yourself. Isn't it absolutely true and without question that...

If you outlaw guns, only outlaws will have guns.

Of course it's true by definition.
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,576
    otter wrote:
    otter wrote:

Or you could think about it yourself. Isn't it absolutely true and without question that...

Those are some seriously reliable news sources right there

once again even the Onion would be more reliable and believable
    :fp:
  • Options
    otter wrote:
    otter wrote:

Hilarious.

You would have been more credible citing Cracked magazine.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Cosmo wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:
    you do realize there's more guns in the US than total vehicles? So for every car, truck, 18 wheeler, cop car...whatever you see on the road there is at least 1 gun and another portion of one in the US. And I am far from ignorant. there is a gun problem in the US...an illegal one...not a legal one.
    That would be a relevant point... if the numbers of gun owners equaled the number of vehicle owners. You have to look deeper into the data in order to make a relative comparison.
    So... A question, Are there there the same or relative number of gun owners as there are vehicle owners?
    Also, I see a lot of cars driving around here... in L.A. and Orange County... is it correct to presume that since there are more guns (total) than vehicles, that each one of those cars are likely to have a gun in them?
    My personal experience would tell me otherwise because I have ridden in many cars, thousands and thousands of times and have maybe only ridden in a dozen or so that contained a gun (either onboard the passenger compartment or in the trunk)... with over a half dozen of them being in military or law enforcement vehicles.
    The basic counterpoint to your statement, '...there's more guns in the US than total vehicles' is, "So? What does that prove?'

More guns....less death. Less cars...more death. Numbers really don't lie.
  • Options
    DS1119 wrote:
    Cosmo wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

More guns....less death. Less cars...more death. Numbers really don't lie.

Less cars... nobody gets to work, visits their parents, or drops their kids off at functions.

More guns... more deaths (remember the piece I submitted that you snubbed several times as others posted emoticons eating popcorn waiting to hear your response?). A Harvard contingency proved this looking at the data they produced.

Get fucking real man. What is your deal?
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options

Less cars... nobody gets to work, visits their parents, or drops their kids off at functions.

More guns... more deaths (remember the piece I submitted that you snubbed several times as others posted emoticons eating popcorn waiting to hear your response?). A Harvard contingency proved this looking at the data they produced.

Get fucking real man. What is your deal?

I am real. Just laying the numbers out there. It's funny when the actual numbers get put out there...there really is no answer. The US public is ridiculously short sighted.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,354
    [

More guns... more deaths
    and you dont have to be an Einstein to understand that!!!
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    [

More guns... more deaths

Fairly obvious no one has actually looked at the issues.
  • Options
    otter wrote:
    otter wrote:

a) I said "objective"
    b) no one wants to outlaw guns.

how many fucking times do we have to say that?
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options

how many fucking times do we have to say that?

It is so much easier to argue that point than to argue against what anyone is actually saying.

• Options
    DS1119 wrote:
    [

More guns... more deaths

Fairly obvious no one has actually looked at the issues.

actually, we're looking at the all the issues. the only issue you are looking at is your precious constitution. ONE of the SEVERAL amendments.

you realize it's not the 10 commandments, right? it was written by men, is REAL, is open to interpretation, and can be AMENDED.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    Okay sorry I forgot who I was conversing with...
    If you outlaw "assault" riffles only outlaws will have "assault" riffles.

You people are totally fucking brainwashed. Does it bother you at all that the people who you want to give MORE power to regulate you don't follow the same regulations that they put on the rest of us????

And if "no one wants to outlaw guns" what the fuck do you think these people are talking about? Making it easier to get guns? duuuuhhhhh :?
  • Options
    otter wrote:

You people are totally fucking brainwashed.

Best argument yet.

• Options
    Dance around this one...

Sandy Hook School has armed guards at the school and will have them indefinitely.