Options

Vedder/Waters

Comments

• Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    EmBleve wrote:
    How could ANYBODY NOT have liked it??!?!? How could there even be a question?!?
    you are right..i listen today the original alot,and eddie singing today alot..

ill tell you this...im done with the original version..Eddie voice is the way to go...

he made it his song last night....

and when you sing pink floyd,when your voice need to fit to this atmospheric melody,means u have it...

he really sing the shit out of it!!

Eddie did a fine job and I'll pull it out from time to time to remember the amazing moment combining two of my favorite bands, but Gilmour really just owns the song. Eddie did great for what he can offer, but there's just something about Gilmour's voice that can't be topped for a song like Comfortably Numb.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,168
    DewieCox wrote:
    EmBleve wrote:
    How could ANYBODY NOT have liked it??!?!? How could there even be a question?!?
    you are right..i listen today the original alot,and eddie singing today alot..

ill tell you this...im done with the original version..Eddie voice is the way to go...

he made it his song last night....

and when you sing pink floyd,when your voice need to fit to this atmospheric melody,means u have it...

he really sing the shit out of it!!

Eddie did a fine job and I'll pull it out from time to time to remember the amazing moment combining two of my favorite bands, but Gilmour really just owns the song. Eddie did great for what he can offer, but there's just something about Gilmour's voice that can't be topped for a song like Comfortably Numb.
    sure..is that ed voice is so warm,familiar and so wellcome in my ears..
    \and now u mention Gilmour...alot was wondering about how eddie sing with roger and not with the who..
    i think if Gilmour was there,he wouldnt sing this song with roger..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    btw,if i could ask which artist i want eddie to sing with,i wouls ask with with Eric Clapton..
    can u imagive Eddie start singing..
    ."Its gettin near dawn, When lights close their tired eyes......"

or..

"In the white room with black curtains near the station....."

fuck me....
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    ladydocNYC wrote:
    So the question this thread poses is: EPIC or not?

Ed's performance was outstanding. People around me who were only casual listeners to PJ commented on how phenomenal he was.
    I can imagine that if you don't have a deep love for Pink Floyd, you may not have found Ed's all-too-brief singing of the choruses enough to call it an epic performance. But if The Wall was a major part of the soundtrack of your youth (and yes, I bet that song was one Ed loved as a teen), and you get to hear your favorite singer of all time, EV, sing it live with friggin' Roger Waters, AND HE "SINGS THE SHIT OUT OF IT," JUST TOTALLY NAILS IT, truly brings his voice and his artistry at their best to it and makes something so great even better--
    then yeah, that's EPIC!!!! :mrgreen:
    love this post..
    u was at the show right?
    if yes,how clapton sound at the arena??cos i love the way sound via the streaming..any details?

Yes I was lucky enough to be there. Clapton blew my mind. I really like the acoustics at MSG and he sounded great. It was all the more powerful that the first song he did was acoustic. From the first moment onstage he was totally captivating without any hype at all. Sheer genius.
  • Options
    JTHJTH Chicago Posts: 3,238
    EmBleve wrote:
    and, especially compared with the Atlanta show earlier this year, last night (to me), was incredible, and brought back the Vedder that I have known since seeing them from '97 (my first show).
    OK, that's two references to Atlanta in this thread. What exactly was it about that show that didn't do it for you?

Because I was there and no, it was not the greatest setlist (especially considering that PJ20 was the last time I'd seen the band play) but the only issue I had with the performance itself was that they didn't play long enough. And that was not by their choice.
  • Options
    YLed2YLed2 Des Moines, IA Posts: 5,534
    JTH wrote:
    EmBleve wrote:
    and, especially compared with the Atlanta show earlier this year, last night (to me), was incredible, and brought back the Vedder that I have known since seeing them from '97 (my first show).
    OK, that's two references to Atlanta in this thread. What exactly was it about that show that didn't do it for you?

Because I was there and no, it was not the greatest setlist (especially considering that PJ20 was the last time I'd seen the band play) but the only issue I had with the performance itself was that they didn't play long enough. And that was not by their choice.

I agree. I was in Atlanta too and I really did think it was a great show with great energy. The boot sounds great too. Yeah, it was a festival set list and greatest hits, and yeah, only played for 2 hours which was all they were allotted for - but they still played 27 songs in 2 hours!

I thought it was a great performance that night and they sounded tight.
    Bristow, VA - 5.13.10
    East Troy, WI - 9.3.11
    East Troy, WI - 9.4.11
    Atlanta, GA - 9.22.12
    Las Vegas, NV - 10.31.12 (EV)
    Las Vegas, NV - 11.1.12 (EV)
    Chicago, IL - 7.19.13
    Dallas, TX - 11.15.13
    Oklahoma City, OK - 11.16.13
    Seattle, WA - 12.6.13
    Lincoln, NE - 10.9.14
    Moline, IL - 10.17.14
    St. Paul, MN - 10.19.14
    Milwaukee, WI - 10.20.14
    New York, NY - 5.1.16
    New York, NY - 5.2.16
    Boston, MA - 8.5.16
    Boston, MA - 8.7.16
    Chicago, IL - 8.20.16

• Options
    QuarterToTenQuarterToTen Cincinnati, Ohio Posts: 3,626
    523840_10152335605770088_929388692_n.jpg
    Nice shirt.
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    ladydocNYC wrote:

Ed's performance was outstanding. People around me who were only casual listeners to PJ commented on how phenomenal he was.
    I can imagine that if you don't have a deep love for Pink Floyd, you may not have found Ed's all-too-brief singing of the choruses enough to call it an epic performance. But if The Wall was a major part of the soundtrack of your youth (and yes, I bet that song was one Ed loved as a teen), and you get to hear your favorite singer of all time, EV, sing it live with friggin' Roger Waters, AND HE "SINGS THE SHIT OUT OF IT," JUST TOTALLY NAILS IT, truly brings his voice and his artistry at their best to it and makes something so great even better--

I agree with every word of this.

The Wall was/is one of my favorite things ever. Saw The Wall in the past 3 years 2x, the last time being a near religious experience.... EV is my favorite singer. Seeing this performed like this was a culmination of my favorite things. I also believed that his role in this one song, without clamoring for any spotlight, along with the bang-up job he did, opened some eyes of non PJ/EV fans.
  • Options
    The performance was Epic.
    EPIC I SAY!
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    EPIC I SAY!
    Looks like this thread has run full circle.
    #FHP
  • Options
    TJ25487TJ25487 Posts: 1,463
    Another vote for EPIC! No, Eddie did not sound just like David Gilmore. He sounded just like Eddie Vedder who got invited to play on an epic song by an epic musician and Ed put his heart and soul into it and nailed it just like we would expect. He knew the words(never a given) and he did not over sing it as his pronunciation was very good. EPIC indeed!
  • Options
    IgotshitIDIgotshitID St.john's Newfoundland Posts: 895
    Best part of the show, he should have sang teen spirit with the Nirvana guys too tho
    St.John's 9/24/2005
    St.John's 9/25/2005
    Toronto 9/11/2011
    Toronto 9/12/2011
    Quebec City 5/5/2016
    Ottawa 5/8/2016
  • Options
    Every time I watch it, I get chills. Epic indeed!! :clap::clap:
    "A beacon on dry land"
  • Options
    javis el errantejavis el errante Buenos Aires Posts: 6,136
    523840_10152335605770088_929388692_n.jpg

I wonder how much for that seat roger waters had... way better than front row, center...
    ... I am not in the business of being liked anymore ...

• Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,548
    Epic. Was the only goosebump moment of the night for me in what was a stellar evening start to finish. I even though Kanye was okay, but more because I liked some of the background music than his contributions.
  • Options
    slobberdog68slobberdog68 In Hiding Posts: 683
    ladydocNYC wrote:

Almost same words I have been saying to everyone. Favorite singer on the planet, singing my favorite Pink Floyd song that I listened to growing up....EPIC :D
    Make sure the fortune that you seek
    Is the fortune that you need

• Options
    My jaw hit the floor the second I heard the "there is no....." eddie swooping in like a bald eagle.
    sang with such passion, intensity and emotion. Was so moving and still is every time I watch it
    PJ - 36
    EV - 5
    (**Letterman'02, Irving Plaza, Storytellers, Beacon, ACL, Spectrum 3&4, Bridge School '10**)

"Constant recoil,..sometimes life don't leave you alone."
    Let's connect on twitter - @Jeffgorra
  • Options
    My jaw hit the floor the second I heard the "there is no....." eddie swooping in like a bald eagle.
    sang with such passion, intensity and emotion. Was so moving and still is every time I watch it

I agree 100 percent! Best part of the concert for me, without a doubt!! :clap::clap:
    "A beacon on dry land"
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    EPIC?

Sorry but no. You guys have lost the ability to be objective.
  • Options
    EPIC I SAY!

I think you've either had too much eggnog for the holidays :nono:

Or too much Koolade :crazy: ......................... :lol:

Although it was Roger that didn't sound too good :shh:
    So, What you Giving ?........ (Thanks Speedy, Alesek, & Arq+friends)
    What You Giving

I suggest you step out on your Porch.
    Run away my son. See it all. Oh, See the World!
  • Options
    EPIC I SAY!

It was a beautiful rendition, of a beautiful song.
    It was a magical 4 minutes.

It was EPIC!
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    EPIC I SAY!

It was a beautiful rendition, of a beautiful song.
    It was a magical 4 minutes.

It was EPIC!
  • Options
    slobberdog68slobberdog68 In Hiding Posts: 683
    EPIC I SAY!

haha...maybe we have had to much Koolade...I think Eddie should have sang the whole song! :lol:
    Make sure the fortune that you seek
    Is the fortune that you need

• Options
    Eddie! Eddie! Eddie! :lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    Epic is Ed with pete townsend at royal albert hall
    Epic is Ed with robert plant at the house of blues
    Epic is Ed with the remaining members of the doors
    Epic is Ed doing wild horses with the stones
    Epic is Ed's performance in the seven worlds collide concert (I see red and stuff and nonsense is killer)
    Epic is Ed and Neil young doing long road after 9/11
    Epic is Ed and neil finn at the beacon in 2011

Ed was in fine form with waters, but it was far from epic. Get real people.
  • Options
    McNairnMcNairn Posts: 284
    The thing that makes EV so amazing and without comparison in music is that he is more that just the quality of his singing. Although very few people could ever sing as well as EV, even if they could they would not have the presence. The entire music world knows he is one special dude, and all great artists respect him highly. Most people of his calibre aren't fully recognized until they are gone from the earth. In his case he is so undeniably awesome people realize it now and that is a good thing.
    Whether or not the technical performance of Comfotably Numb was perfect or not is beside the point and is really a limited way of looking at the situation. The fact is he commanded the stage and penetrated the heart and soul of so many people like any master painter, master poet or master writer would do.

It is said sometimes on this board that fans of EV and Pearl Jam have blinders on and are not critical enough. I think that is false. We are just witness to a rare and beautiful thing on this earth and we know it, because it is true.
    Great artists and thinkers through time endure, whether or not they were popular or recognized in their own time. All others fade away. EV may be the only one of his generation that endures through the ages and that is because he is truly great.
    Whether it is called "epic" or not - that doesn't matter. As long as we appreciate we are all lucky enough to witness a great man in his time. We are very fotunate in that way.

Shit, did you see the joy in the face of Roger Waters? Do you think he knew what was happening? Do you think he was thrilled to experience that himself? To have Eddie Vedder sing one of his songs? He knew what was happening in front of his own eyes. There is no one else on earth that could evoke that feeling in Roger Waters on stage singing one of his songs. No one on earth.

There's nothing wrong with being critical, but know that fans are not blinded, they see clearly.
  • Options
    EmBleveEmBleve Posts: 3,019
    McNairn wrote:
    The thing that makes EV so amazing and without comparison in music is that he is more that just the quality of his singing. Although very few people could ever sing as well as EV, even if they could they would not have the presence. The entire music world knows he is one special dude, and all great artists respect him highly. Most people of his calibre aren't fully recognized until they are gone from the earth. In his case he is so undeniably awesome people realize it now and that is a good thing.
    Whether or not the technical performance of Comfotably Numb was perfect or not is beside the point and is really a limited way of looking at the situation. The fact is he commanded the stage and penetrated the heart and soul of so many people like any master painter, master poet or master writer would do.

It is said sometimes on this board that fans of EV and Pearl Jam have blinders on and are not critical enough. I think that is false. We are just witness to a rare and beautiful thing on this earth and we know it, because it is true.
    Great artists and thinkers through time endure, whether or not they were popular or recognized in their own time. All others fade away. EV may be the only one of his generation that endures through the ages and that is because he is truly great.
    Whether it is called "epic" or not - that doesn't matter. As long as we appreciate we are all lucky enough to witness a great man in his time. We are very fotunate in that way.

Shit, did you see the joy in the face of Roger Waters? Do you think he knew what was happening? Do you think he was thrilled to experience that himself? To have Eddie Vedder sing one of his songs? He knew what was happening in front of his own eyes. There is no one else on earth that could evoke that feeling in Roger Waters on stage singing one of his songs. No one on earth.

There's nothing wrong with being critical, but know that fans are not blinded, they see clearly.
    :clap:
  • Options
    McNairn wrote:
    The fact is he commanded the stage and penetrated the heart and soul of so many people like any master painter, master poet or master writer would do.

Whether it is called "epic" or not - that doesn't matter. As long as we appreciate we are all lucky enough to witness a great man in his time.

There is no one else on earth that could evoke that feeling in Roger Waters on stage singing one of his songs. No one on earth.

I think your post, while well written, is full of the same hyperbole for which PJ fans are often criticized.

Im not trying to put down the performance because it was cool to see Ed sing a floyd tune and be part of the charity effort.

But most times after I see Ed do a collaboration, I'm blown away by how his talent shines in an unfamiliar context. Definitely not the case with this performance. Perhaps Ive been spoiled by his past performances.

Its all good. Some vedder is better than no vedder.
  • Options
    Get_Right wrote:
    McNairn wrote:
    The fact is he commanded the stage and penetrated the heart and soul of so many people like any master painter, master poet or master writer would do.

Whether it is called "epic" or not - that doesn't matter. As long as we appreciate we are all lucky enough to witness a great man in his time.

There is no one else on earth that could evoke that feeling in Roger Waters on stage singing one of his songs. No one on earth.

I think your post, while well written, is full of the same hyperbole for which PJ fans are often criticized.

Im not trying to put down the performance because it was cool to see Ed sing a floyd tune and be part of the charity effort.

But most times after I see Ed do a collaboration, I'm blown away by how his talent shines in an unfamiliar context. Definitely not the case with this performance. Perhaps Ive been spoiled by his past performances.

Its all good. Some vedder is better than no vedder.
    Well you seem to have just recently fallen off the EV hyperbole bandwagon after touting every other past EV performance but somehow this one does not live up? To each his own of course but I think McNairn hit the nail on the head in his/her post.
  • Options
    Its all good.
    That performance did not penetrate my soul. ;)

Tis all.