Options

Vedder/Waters

Comments

• Options
    Yes WayYes Way Posts: 453
    I feel like I've spent too much time over the last 20 years explaining/defending the fact that Pearl Jam is my favorite band. It's the typical stuff, like the stereotype of Ed's voice or that I'm not evolving as a human if I don't embrace a more contemporary band.

So when stuff like last night happens, it just makes me very happy. I've always needed a band to be talented, meaningful (to me), and great live for me to even consider liking them. PJ clearly has all three.

Last night a larger audience got a glimpse of two of these factors, at least from the band's most recognizable face. And it made me very proud.

Thanks Ed.
    Apr 07, 1994/Oct 01, 1996/Jul 07, 1998/Jul 08, 1998/Aug 29, 1998/Aug 31, 1998/Sep 01, 1998/Sep 03, 1998/Sep 04, 1998/Sep 06, 1998/Jun 01, 2000/Jun 04, 2000/Jun 06, 2000/Oct 20, 2000/Oct 21, 2000/Oct 22, 2000/Oct 24, 2000/Oct 25, 2000/Oct 20, 2001/Oct 21, 2001/May 30, 2003/Jun 01, 2003/Jun 02, 2003/Jun 28, 2003/Jul 02, 2003/Oct 25, 2003/Jul 15, 2006/Jul 16, 2006/Jul 18, 2006/Jul 20, 2006/Jul 22, 2006/Jul 23, 2006/Sep 21, 2009/Sep 22, 2009/Sep 26, 2009/Sep 25, 2011
  • Options
    Princess BulldozerPrincess Bulldozer Mannheim, Germany Posts: 952
    EPIC as SPEEDY says!
    Comfortably Numb is my Mum's favourite Pink Floyd song and she was streaming the concert at home in Australia while I was watching it in the US! It was the best.

I was soooo glad my landlady/housemate was/is in Spain, because I had the volume at maximum most of the night!
    Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure - science.
    ~Edwin Powell Hubble

Men love to wonder, and that is the seed of science.
    ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • Options
    edwhoedwho Posts: 811
    Kat and Speedy sitting in a tree…

Epic possibilities I say :)

Three Fish

July 1996 San Francisco

June 1999 Chicago

• Options
    YLed2YLed2 Des Moines, IA Posts: 5,534
    Yes Way wrote:
    I feel like I've spent too much time over the last 20 years explaining/defending the fact that Pearl Jam is my favorite band. It's the typical stuff, like the stereotype of Ed's voice or that I'm not evolving as a human if I don't embrace a more contemporary band.

So when stuff like last night happens, it just makes me very happy. I've always needed a band to be talented, meaningful (to me), and great live for me to even consider liking them. PJ clearly has all three.

Last night a larger audience got a glimpse of two of these factors, at least from the band's most recognizable face. And it made me very proud.

Thanks Ed.

Exactly this.
    Bristow, VA - 5.13.10
    East Troy, WI - 9.3.11
    East Troy, WI - 9.4.11
    Atlanta, GA - 9.22.12
    Las Vegas, NV - 10.31.12 (EV)
    Las Vegas, NV - 11.1.12 (EV)
    Chicago, IL - 7.19.13
    Dallas, TX - 11.15.13
    Oklahoma City, OK - 11.16.13
    Seattle, WA - 12.6.13
    Lincoln, NE - 10.9.14
    Moline, IL - 10.17.14
    St. Paul, MN - 10.19.14
    Milwaukee, WI - 10.20.14
    New York, NY - 5.1.16
    New York, NY - 5.2.16
    Boston, MA - 8.5.16
    Boston, MA - 8.7.16
    Chicago, IL - 8.20.16

• Options
    mca47 wrote:
    I thought it was good, but Epic it was not.

Have to say I agree. I love PJ and listen to them daily and think Eddie is a fantastic singer/songwriter but not sure last night was epic. It was awesome seeing Eddie with Roger since I am a fan of both. It would have been epic if Eddie was the guy singing the entire time instead of the Eddie look-a-like. Either way, glad he was there and great to hear Roger think highly of Eddie.
  • Options
    dasvidanadasvidana Grand Junction CO Posts: 1,318
    susannj wrote:
    I also agree wish Gilmour was there - I had a feeling that the back up guy would be confused with EV because of the hair and sure enough:
    http://photos.nj.com/star-ledger/2012/1 ... rt_70.html

So annoying! :nono:
    unbelievable. That journalist should be demoted.
    It's nice to be nice to the nice.
  • Options
    dasvidanadasvidana Grand Junction CO Posts: 1,318
    Better Dan wrote:
    RobbyD462 wrote:
    They should have Eddie do the whole set with Waters. 8-)

That other guy was questionable at best! :fp:

That's what I thought..I thought the other guy was horrible!
    Maybe Ed was stuck in NYC traffic
    It's nice to be nice to the nice.
  • Options
    RobbyD462RobbyD462 Victoria BC Posts: 4,777
    They should have done the whole set together!
    Why use the other guy if you have EV!!
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/21/9 -Vancouver,B.C-Rogers Arena-12/4/13
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/22/9 -Pemberton,B.C-7/17/16
    -Vancouver,B.C-GM Place -9/25/9 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/8/18
    -Vancouver,B.C-Pacific Coliseum-9/25/11 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/10/18
    -Misoula,MT-Adams Field House-9/30/12

• Options
    javis el errantejavis el errante Buenos Aires Posts: 6,136
    has anybody said epic already?
    ... I am not in the business of being liked anymore ...

• Options
    mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    I just loved it.... felt like a dream. :D
    ********************************************************************************************* image
  • Options
    YLed2YLed2 Des Moines, IA Posts: 5,534
    It was good. It brought me to my feet and made me feel proud to be a PJ fan. When you see one of your greatest musical inspirations up there singing THAT part for THAT song WITH Roger Waters, it's kind of big deal. They aren't just going to pick anyone off the street to sing it - you have to "fit the bill".

That said, although I don't think that song is neccessarily a great fit for Ed's voice, it was a rather iconic moment. Ed was on point and rose to the occassion as usual - he delivered as he always does.

You could also tell he was nervous as fuck. But I think Waters' kiss on his forehead made feel a little more comfortable. :lol:

I do hope that this kind of thing and all those legendary, iconic bands and figures truly makes Ed realize that PJ is on its way there, and how iconic they really are (or eventaully will be) themselves as a band and how infludential they are. Which I think he does, but he just doesn't want to admit it. I hope this sort of thing re-energizes his focus on PJ as they take their own steps forward down that iconic road.

Now here's to moving forward and big things to come from PJ!
    Bristow, VA - 5.13.10
    East Troy, WI - 9.3.11
    East Troy, WI - 9.4.11
    Atlanta, GA - 9.22.12
    Las Vegas, NV - 10.31.12 (EV)
    Las Vegas, NV - 11.1.12 (EV)
    Chicago, IL - 7.19.13
    Dallas, TX - 11.15.13
    Oklahoma City, OK - 11.16.13
    Seattle, WA - 12.6.13
    Lincoln, NE - 10.9.14
    Moline, IL - 10.17.14
    St. Paul, MN - 10.19.14
    Milwaukee, WI - 10.20.14
    New York, NY - 5.1.16
    New York, NY - 5.2.16
    Boston, MA - 8.5.16
    Boston, MA - 8.7.16
    Chicago, IL - 8.20.16

• Options
    geckogecko Posts: 1,712
    Ha, smooch is on CNN.
    I watched this performance so many times it's not healthy (CBS video is really neat). I like watching Roger Waters in this one, makes me laugh. I also like how the guy behind Eddie is positively glowing, kinda grinning through the whole song. And Eddie is just perfect here. Short performance, but leaves one wanting more, as someone said upthread.
  • Options
    CTD10CTD10 Posts: 351
    I really want to know why Eddie did not get his own set???? or join some other artist for a tune.
    ctd
  • Options
    EmBleveEmBleve Posts: 3,019
    has anybody said epic already?
    exactly why I haven't repeated this totally annoying and overused word.
  • Options
    RhinoJam wrote:
    any audio out there ?... saw the performance last night... and I need to hear this again... I thought Eddie seemed a little distressed, or had a cold or something... maybe he wanted to perform more and there wasn't enough time? ... audio...

Thanks in advance, Rhino...

ps... Kanye sucks... roo anyone?
    obviously, you didn't see the sub-par performance in Atlanta this year.
  • Options
    and, REALLY, enough of the Ed look alike shit!! :roll: If anyone thought that guy was Eddie Vedder, then they obviously had no fucking clue what they were looking at...it's absurd that it's even an 'issue'.
  • Options
    HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    Eddie did great, especially being as the last Pink Floyd cover was lacking IMHO.

And WTH is Chris Martin?
    #FHP
  • Options
    ^^Chris Martin is good in his own right, and I appreciate Coldplay (whhaaatt, yes, I said it--talent is talent), but it's not Eddie Vedder or Pearl Jam, nor is it Pink Floyd. People need to get over themselves already. We're on a PJ fan club forum.. I think that the band [PJ] gives plenty of props to other musicians. It seems that people around here (SOME) can't even give props to the frontman of the band that they are fan club members for.. wtf. I don't get that.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,168
    EmBleve wrote:
    ^^Chris Martin is good in his own right, and I appreciate Coldplay (whhaaatt, yes, I said it--talent is talent), but it's not Eddie Vedder or Pearl Jam, nor is it Pink Floyd. People need to get over themselves already. We're on a PJ fan club forum.. I think that the band [PJ] gives plenty of props to other musicians. It seems that people around here (SOME) can't even give props to the frontman of the band that they are fan club members for.. wtf. I don't get that.
    Chris Martin is sure a talent,Coldplay are away more popular than pj...

and yes the last part you wrote,i dont get it either...
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    EmBleve wrote:
    Chris Martin is sure a talent,Coldplay are away more popular than pj...

and yes the last part you wrote,i dont get it either...
    +1. Thank you.
  • Options
    PJ-CubsPJ-Cubs Posts: 3,293
    edited December 2012
    mca47 wrote:
    I thought it was good, but Epic it was not.

I agree. I wasn't blown away by the performance but I am also not a fan of Pink Floyd so I was not thrilled by the song choice to start win.
    Post edited by PJ-Cubs on
  • Options
    HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    EmBleve wrote:
    It seems that people around here (SOME) can't even give props to the frontman of the band that they are fan club members for.. wtf. I don't get that.
    I don't think that's directed at me but I can equate it to being a fan of a sports team. They win some and they lose some. I'm not always happy with the decisions they made in the process and I feel free to express that to other fans.
    #FHP
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Horos wrote:
    EmBleve wrote:
    It seems that people around here (SOME) can't even give props to the frontman of the band that they are fan club members for.. wtf. I don't get that.
    I don't think that's directed at me but I can equate it to being a fan of a sports team. They win some and they lose some. I'm not always happy with the decisions they made in the process and I feel free to express that to other fans.
    As well you should.. (and no, it wasn't directed at you, personally). However, I don't equate being a PJ fan with being a fan of a sports team (although I can see the analogy).. and, especially compared with the Atlanta show earlier this year, last night (to me), was incredible, and brought back the Vedder that I have known since seeing them from '97 (my first show). Perhaps, as you said, similar to a sports team, I'm a diehard... and his performance last night was outstanding... it was really exceptional. That's just what I think. And I don't give a shit if he just sang 2 verses of Comfortably Numb.. it was great.

and, edit..p.s. I have never been a huge Pink Floyd fan, but that song has always been my favorite, way before I even knew who PJ was, and Eddie did it justice, and beyond. Some people just ask too much.

and, edit, again... :shock: I'm not a WHO fan.. go figure.
    Post edited by EmBleve on
  • Options
    How could ANYBODY NOT have liked it??!?!? How could there even be a question?!?
  • Options
    poto101poto101 Posts: 386
    This video is still up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4c_8rTuddU

Well done, Ed.
    It's all happening....

East Troy 2003
    Chicago x2, Summerfest x2, 2006
    Chicago THE VIC, Lollapalooza, 2007
    bonnaROOOOOOO 2008
    Chicago x2 2009

(EV chicago 2008 night 2)
  • Options
    EmBleve wrote:
    How could ANYBODY NOT have liked it??!?!? How could there even be a question?!?
    you are right..i listen today the original alot,and eddie singing today alot..

ill tell you this...im done with the original version..Eddie voice is the way to go...

he made it his song last night....

and when you sing pink floyd,when your voice need to fit to this atmospheric melody,means u have it...

he really sing the shit out of it!!
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    SEACIDESEACIDE Posts: 410
    Passion for the moment....
    You could see it in his face and hear it in his voice....
    And lest we forget this was a concert with a purpose...I think Eddie was feeling it.
    Thanks Eddie for always giving us your best shot!
    Love is all you need.....
  • Options
    So the question this thread poses is: EPIC or not?

Ed's performance was outstanding. People around me who were only casual listeners to PJ commented on how phenomenal he was.
    I can imagine that if you don't have a deep love for Pink Floyd, you may not have found Ed's all-too-brief singing of the choruses enough to call it an epic performance. But if The Wall was a major part of the soundtrack of your youth (and yes, I bet that song was one Ed loved as a teen), and you get to hear your favorite singer of all time, EV, sing it live with friggin' Roger Waters, AND HE "SINGS THE SHIT OUT OF IT," JUST TOTALLY NAILS IT, truly brings his voice and his artistry at their best to it and makes something so great even better--
    then yeah, that's EPIC!!!! :mrgreen:
  • Options
    StevieG wrote:
    II think Eddie Vedder could release a compilation of farts and people would be saying how incredible and moving it is.

That may exist but I'm not one of those people. I've seen a few PJ performances in the last few years-- including two this summer-- where I was pretty disappointed in how Ed sounded. He brought his "A" game last night. He sounded superb.
  • Options
    ladydocNYC wrote:
    So the question this thread poses is: EPIC or not?

Ed's performance was outstanding. People around me who were only casual listeners to PJ commented on how phenomenal he was.
    I can imagine that if you don't have a deep love for Pink Floyd, you may not have found Ed's all-too-brief singing of the choruses enough to call it an epic performance. But if The Wall was a major part of the soundtrack of your youth (and yes, I bet that song was one Ed loved as a teen), and you get to hear your favorite singer of all time, EV, sing it live with friggin' Roger Waters, AND HE "SINGS THE SHIT OUT OF IT," JUST TOTALLY NAILS IT, truly brings his voice and his artistry at their best to it and makes something so great even better--
    then yeah, that's EPIC!!!! :mrgreen:
    love this post..
    u was at the show right?
    if yes,how clapton sound at the arena??cos i love the way sound via the streaming..any details?