Options

CIA director David Petraeus resigns

Comments

• Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,934
    I don't think it is for certain that he gave her access, that is my point. Maybe he did and that is a HUGE crime if so. But if she cracked his laptop while he was in the shower that is much more on her in my mind.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    Just to be clear, I am not trying to defend Petraeus. I just don't think we know as much as we think we know right now.

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,606
    JimmyV wrote:
    Just to be clear, I am not trying to defend Petraeus. I just don't think we know as much as we think we know right now.
    Ditto
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    JimmyV wrote:

i know you're not and all this could come down to a bad soap opera at the highest level of the intelligence community

but as the head of said community, they should be held to a higher standard and not get involved in this like this...blackmail still exists
  • Options
    norm wrote:
    JimmyV wrote:

i know you're not and all this could come down to a bad soap opera at the highest level of the intelligence community

but as the head of said community, they should be held to a higher standard and not get involved in this like this...blackmail still exists
    So does bribery ... Everyone is vulnerable in that sense. Seriously, probably everyone since Hoover has had an affair while in that office. I really don't think just the fact that he was having an affair has ANYTHING to do with why this has become in issue or why he resigned. I am interested to find out just exactly wtf is going on.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    i guess i did jump to conclusions afterall about the classified docs. i believe whatever pertraeus and broadwell say. silly me to think that he would have anything to do with all of the documents found in her home and data found on her computer.
    im still wondering where broadwell got the idea that the benghazi attacks were either retaliation for or a attempt to rescue Libyan prisoners held by CIA?
  • Options
    JC29856 wrote:
    i guess i did jump to conclusions afterall about the classified docs. i believe whatever pertraeus and broadwell say. silly me to think that he would have anything to do with all of the documents found in her home and data found on her computer.
    im still wondering where broadwell got the idea that the benghazi attacks were either retaliation for or a attempt to rescue Libyan prisoners held by CIA?
    Sarcasm? ;) No one is saying that something really rotten may not have gone down... what they're also saying is that there is not enough clear info to draw final conclusions, and that it's best to wait and see before doing so, because sometimes, such claims and accusations can turn out to be exaggerated or confused.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    JC29856 wrote:
    Sarcasm? ;) No one is saying that something really rotten may not have gone down... what they're also saying is that there is not enough clear info to draw final conclusions, and that it's best to wait and see before doing so, because sometimes, such claims and accusations can turn out to be exaggerated or confused.

Which is why I am thankful this story broke after the election. I don't often have nice things to say about Eric Cantor but I give him a lot of credit for keeping quiet. Not sure many in either party would have done the same.

• Options
    do you honestly think the truth would ever come to light? does it ever? all we are ever left to do is wipe away all the shit splatter pull bits and pieces of factual data together and draw logical conclusions.

most americans were never told the real reason why 911 happened, you think any truth will come out of this? all we will hear about is the sexual scandal (shit splatter), not what really matters.
  • Options
    JC29856 wrote:
    do you honestly think the truth would ever come to light? does it ever? all we are ever left to do is wipe away all the shit splatter pull bits and pieces of factual data together and draw logical conclusions.

most americans were never told the real reason why 911 happened, you think any truth will come out of this? all we will hear about is the sexual scandal (shit splatter), not what really matters.

I do think the truth will come out, yes.

• Options
    JC29856 wrote:

Yeah, the truth will probably come out.

I'm just going to ignore the 9/11 comment. ;)
  • Options
    to stay on topic but gain some perspective...

remind me what and when the truth "came out" about 911?
    reming me what and when the truth "came out" about invading iraq?

my point is obviously that if the american public are left in the dark about 911 and a never ending war, what makes you confident that truth will come out from this "scandal"?
  • Options
    i still dont understand why that one lady alerted the FBI. What could have been so threatening in the e-mail. Wouldnt have been along the lines of "stop seeing him"?
  • Options
    i still dont understand why that one lady alerted the FBI. What could have been so threatening in the e-mail. Wouldnt have been along the lines of "stop seeing him"?

I'm unclear on this, too. And why the FBI? Even if it was threatening and you were concerned, wouldn't you start with your local police?

• Options
    pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    I'm still going with diversion and discrediting. Public opinion is focusing
    on these players, some of the same players involved in Benghazi.
    My suspicious mind also doesn't believe in coinki-dinks.

And now she is a Russian spy ? ... oh boy.
  • Options
    Any wag the dog scenario that involves the freaking Director of the freaking CIA resigning is on the shortlist of worst wag the dogs in history. If they wanted to divert attention away from Benghazi, as so many are so hell bent on believing, I gotta believe they would come up with something that didn't involve Petraeus, the CIA, or the Pentagon. It makes for a good story and it lets people who want to believe the worst about this administration keep on believing, but it doesn't make a lot of sense.

• Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,081
    JimmyV wrote:

I'm unclear on this, too. And why the FBI? Even if it was threatening and you were concerned, wouldn't you start with your local police?

Devil's Advocate...her friend was in the FBI and we are talking about the CIA director.
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,081
    pandora wrote:

Wait...what? Haven't heard this.
  • Options
    pjl44 wrote:
    pandora wrote:

It just gets better and better...

• Options
    pjl44 wrote:
    JimmyV wrote:

Devil's Advocate...her friend was in the FBI and we are talking about the CIA director.

Maybe. That scenario I could at least envision.

• Options
    pjl44 wrote:
    pandora wrote:

Damn this would make a great episode of Archer

tumblr_kxvbxofVAh1qzvjn8o1_500.jpg
  • Options
    pjl44 wrote:
    pandora wrote:

Damn this would make a great episode of Archer

tumblr_kxvbxofVAh1qzvjn8o1_500.jpg

LOL, well played!
  • Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    pjl44 wrote:
    JimmyV wrote:

For starters, the woman in Florida is starting to look like a bit of a wacko. Lots of articles about her online yesterday, only found this one today: http://seattletimes.com/html/nationworl ... elley.html
    She is starting to sound like a Khardashian cousin.

She contacted her friend in the FBI, who apparently got a little overzealous about the investigation. He was identified yesterday and is no longer just the "shirtless FBI agent." :lol: A commentary about him, including a link to the infamous shirtless picture: http://seattletimes.com/html/edcetera/2 ... inion.html
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options
    aerialaerial Posts: 2,319
    aerial wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    I am just trying to figure about why any of this is the public's business??? Who gives a fuck if the military guy sends emails to the chick the FBI guy is banging?? Seriously. :fp: Not that we shouldn't be paying attention to the news - this is some juicy soap opera shit that we can't ignore... but why has the media and the government agencies turned it into a scandal that makes people lose their jobs and shit? Why did it ever become public in the first place?? Brutal.

I agree....this administration thinks Americans are idiots. You would think they could come up with a better distraction than this. My God! Four Americans are dead and they don't want us to know why! or is it they are so incompetent they can't get the job done and figure out what the hell happened!? It's disgraceful!

Yes, this administration made a 4 star general cheat on his wife with a psychotic women, whom they then forced to threaten another women who may have been sleeping with another general, and influenced an FBI agent to become infatuated with one of the women he was investigating. Then after all that was accomplished, they convinced the media to cover this sex scandal of high ranking military/political people. All to get the focus off of something that no one except Fox News was talking about in the first place.

Well done Obama administration, well done.

Facepalm.jpg

What I am saying is they can find out who was doing who, yet they can't find out what went down and when it went down in Libya that killed four Americans.
    here is a senerio I heard today........maybe the reason Petraeus testified that it was a protest gone bad was because the administration was black mailing him with the affair....just a thought...
    They are making more of a big deal about the affair than they did when the Americans were murdered in Libya.
    “We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.” Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    JimmyV wrote:
    Any wag the dog scenario that involves the freaking Director of the freaking CIA resigning is on the shortlist of worst wag the dogs in history. If they wanted to divert attention away from Benghazi, as so many are so hell bent on believing, I gotta believe they would come up with something that didn't involve Petraeus, the CIA, or the Pentagon. It makes for a good story and it lets people who want to believe the worst about this administration keep on believing, but it doesn't make a lot of sense.
    Agreed.
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003

Facepalm.jpg

but this is an orang utan. :fp:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    http://www.boston.com/news/nation/washi ... story.html

Rep. Adam Schiff, D-Calif., said Petraeus disputed Republican suggestions that the White House misled the public on what led to the violence in the midst of President Barack Obama’s re-election campaign.

‘‘There was an interagency process to draft it, not a political process,’’ Schiff said after the hearing. ‘‘They came up with the best assessment without compromising classified information or source or methods. So changes were made to protect classified information.

‘‘The general was adamant there was no politicization of the process, no White House interference or political agenda,’’ Schiff said. ‘‘He completely debunked that idea.’’

• Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    http://news.yahoo.com/intelligence-committees-see-film-benghazi-attack-014842991.html

In Benghazi testimony, Petraeus says al Qaeda role known early

Former CIA Director David Petraeus told Congress on Friday that he and the spy agency had sought to make clear from the outset that September's deadly attack on the U.S. diplomatic mission in Benghazi, Libya, involved an al Qaeda affiliate, lawmakers said.

Petraeus told the House of Representatives intelligence committee that "there were extremists in the group" that launched the initial attack on the diplomatic mission, describing them as affiliates of al Qaeda and other extremist groups, said Representative C.A. Dutch Ruppersberger, the committee's top Democrat. "The fact is that he clarified it."

Another lawmaker, Republican Representative Peter King, said Petraeus' account in the closed-door session differed from the assessment that the CIA chief gave to Congress two months ago, just days after the September 11 attack that killed U.S. Ambassador Christopher Stevens and three other Americans.

"He also stated that he thought all along he made it clear that there were significant terrorist involvement, and that is not my recollection of what he told us on September 14," King said.

• Options
    aerial wrote:
    aerial wrote:
    I agree....this administration thinks Americans are idiots. You would think they could come up with a better distraction than this. My God! Four Americans are dead and they don't want us to know why! or is it they are so incompetent they can't get the job done and figure out what the hell happened!? It's disgraceful!

Yes, this administration made a 4 star general cheat on his wife with a psychotic women, whom they then forced to threaten another women who may have been sleeping with another general, and influenced an FBI agent to become infatuated with one of the women he was investigating. Then after all that was accomplished, they convinced the media to cover this sex scandal of high ranking military/political people. All to get the focus off of something that no one except Fox News was talking about in the first place.

Well done Obama administration, well done.

What I am saying is they can find out who was doing who, yet they can't find out what went down and when it went down in Libya that killed four Americans.
    here is a senerio I heard today........maybe the reason Petraeus testified that it was a protest gone bad was because the administration was black mailing him with the affair....just a thought...
    They are making more of a big deal about the affair than they did when the Americans were murdered in Libya.

By "they" you mean the press, right? Not a shock there.... the head of the CIA, who is a household name quits because of a sex scandal? Of course that will get more attention and page views than 4 people (who no one has ever heard of) getting killed in an area of the world where unfortunately Americans have been getting killed everyday for 10 years (not Libya specifically, but you get my point).
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options

Facepalm.jpg

but this is an orang utan. :fp:

I know :cry: But I liked the picture anyway :)
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln