Options

CIA director David Petraeus resigns

Comments

• Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    It begs to question that we know as much as we do. Our government has thrown three women and their private lives to the media wolves.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    I think it's hilarious that Paula Broadwell supposedly had an affair with a guy she wrote a book about, calling the book "All In".

Hello, innuendo.
    The all-time innuendo champion of the library ....

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRZUr42_ZMxUfdACKfU6XDFcrb_B00gj8M1gxPQPbAhyV4kz7oJww
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,934
    Jason P wrote:
    It begs to question that we know as much as we do. Our government has thrown three women and their private lives to the media wolves.

Petraeus's wife is an innocent victim in all this and my heart goes out to her. Same for the family friend assuming there is nothing more to her story. But the mistress broke into a computer used by the Director of the CIA. That is a serious bit of bad business.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    JC29856 wrote:
    the cia kidnapped and detained Libyan militia, the attack on the consulate was retaliation or attempt to free the prisoners, 3 people died

exe order 13491

Sec. 4. Prohibition of Certain Detention Facilities, and Red Cross Access to Detained Individuals.

(a) CIA Detention. The CIA shall close as expeditiously as possible any detention facilities that it currently operates and shall not operate any such detention facility in the future.

(b) International Committee of the Red Cross Access to Detained Individuals. All departments and agencies of the Federal Government shall provide the International Committee of the Red Cross with notification of, and timely access to, any individual detained in any armed conflict in the custody or under the effective control of an officer, employee, or other agent of the United States Government or detained within a facility owned, operated, or controlled by a department or agency of the United States Government, consistent with Department of Defense regulations and policies.

I tend to think the CIA kidnaps and detains a lot of people without notifying the Red Cross.

• Options
    JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    JimmyV wrote:
    JC29856 wrote:
    the cia kidnapped and detained Libyan militia, the attack on the consulate was retaliation or attempt to free the prisoners, 3 people died

exe order 13491

Sec. 4. Prohibition of Certain Detention Facilities, and Red Cross Access to Detained Individuals.

(a) CIA Detention. The CIA shall close as expeditiously as possible any detention facilities that it currently operates and shall not operate any such detention facility in the future.

(b) International Committee of the Red Cross Access to Detained Individuals. All departments and agencies of the Federal Government shall provide the International Committee of the Red Cross with notification of, and timely access to, any individual detained in any armed conflict in the custody or under the effective control of an officer, employee, or other agent of the United States Government or detained within a facility owned, operated, or controlled by a department or agency of the United States Government, consistent with Department of Defense regulations and policies.

I tend to think the CIA kidnaps and detains a lot of people without notifying the Red Cross.

i tend to agree, we ignore most of the geneva conventions...but what about the president? do you think the cia notified the president about the captured libyans (if true)? do you think the president knew the attacks were retaliation or an attempt to free the captured? ill ignore that fact that the president ordered a stop to all cia detentions for now
  • Options
    JC29856 wrote:
    JimmyV wrote:
    JC29856 wrote:

exe order 13491

i tend to agree, we ignore most of the geneva conventions...but what about the president? do you think the cia notified the president about the captured libyans (if true)? do you think the president knew the attacks were retaliation or an attempt to free the captured? ill ignore that fact that the president ordered a stop to all cia detentions for now

I don't know. Not sure what the President knew. But truth be told it wouldn't bother me either way.

Also, I do think it is a stretch at this point to assume Benghazy had anything to do with Petraeus resignation.

• Options
    pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    Its like a little Peyton Place...
    dating myself

but it's not really all that interesting or unusual for men of power to misbehave.
    I thought for sure the 'friend' was getting harassing emails cause she was the new mistress
    a little younger prettier same type.

As far as smoke and mirrors, bigger fish to fry
    or play hide the real dirt maybe so, right? we should be used to that.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    This needs to be a movie
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,081
    Cosmo wrote:
    hedonist wrote:
    Cosmo wrote:
    What makes people actually believe that former director Petraeus CANNOT be called to testify in a Congressional Hearing... just because he has resigned his position? The only way that can't directly question him and hear his responses is if he were dead.
    Haven't people heard about something called a 'subpoena'?
    I said something similar at the start of this thread...makes no sense.

Something's rotten in Denmark!
    I don't understand... do people believe that a bank president, for example, can avert any judicial hearing about descrepencies in banking practices... just by quitting his job?
    Former director Petraeus CAN be served a subpoena to testify before Congress. His resignation DOES NOT make him immune to testifying.
    Now... it is up to the Congressional Panel to decide whether or not to call on Petraeus before them or not.

The hope is that they do subpoena him to testify. This is what was initially reported and I haven't heard anything about a subpoena as of yet:

[Updated at 4:52 p.m.] Acting CIA Director Michael Morrell will testify next week before the Senate Intelligence Committee about the fatal attack in Benghazi instead of David Petraeus, according to the office of that committee's chairwoman, Sen. Dianne Feinstein.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,608
    edited November 2012
    I am just trying to figure about why any of this is the public's business??? Who gives a fuck if the military guy sends emails to the chick the FBI guy is banging?? Seriously. :fp: Not that we shouldn't be paying attention to the news - this is some juicy soap opera shit that we can't ignore... but why has the media and the government agencies turned it into a scandal that makes people lose their jobs and shit? Why did it ever become public in the first place?? Brutal.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    aerialaerial Posts: 2,319
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    I am just trying to figure about why any of this is the public's business??? Who gives a fuck if the military guy sends emails to the chick the FBI guy is banging?? Seriously. :fp: Not that we shouldn't be paying attention to the news - this is some juicy soap opera shit that we can't ignore... but why has the media and the government agencies turned it into a scandal that makes people lose their jobs and shit? Why did it ever become public in the first place?? Brutal.

I agree....this administration thinks Americans are idiots. You would think they could come up with a better distraction than this. My God! Four Americans are dead and they don't want us to know why! or is it they are so incompetent they can't get the job done and figure out what the hell happened!? It's disgraceful!
    “We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.” Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    I think what matters is Petraeus' position as Director of the CIA. He is supposed to know better than a subortinate officer or special agent. As Director, he is privy to intelligence data that should not go beyond the ears of only those with 'need to know' clearances.
    It is just a weakness of character... and we all know weaknesses are easily exploited. You never attack an opponent's strengths, you expliot his weakness. As Director of the CIA and former General... he is supposed to know better because he is held to a higher standard, due to his rank/office.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    aerial wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

I agree....this administration thinks Americans are idiots. You would think they could come up with a better distraction than this. My God! Four Americans are dead and they don't want us to know why! or is it they are so incompetent they can't get the job done and figure out what the hell happened!? It's disgraceful!
    Oh, well, I'm not going for the "this is to distract us from Benghazi" theory at all. Something seems strange, but I don't think that's it.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    This flow chart should clear everything up. :lol:

http://m.gawker.com/5960202/a-flowchart ... dium=email
  • Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    This needs to be a movie
    :lol: Not even Hollywood could come up with this story.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    This flow chart should clear everything up. :lol:

http://m.gawker.com/5960202/a-flowchart ... dium=email
    Funny stuff. :lol::lol:

One of things that cracks me up, since they keep talking about Broadwell being the author of Petraeus' biography, is that she had a ghost writer:
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle ... story.html

He describes himself as "clueless." :roll: ;)
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,880
    tybird wrote:
    maybe that was the way to get out....or to cover up something bigger..
    One take is that the CIA was completely wrong in the intel leading up to 9/11/12 in Libya....so, maybe...
    wouldnt be the first time they were wrong, now would it.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    aerial wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

Yes, this administration made a 4 star general cheat on his wife with a psychotic women, whom they then forced to threaten another women who may have been sleeping with another general, and influenced an FBI agent to become infatuated with one of the women he was investigating. Then after all that was accomplished, they convinced the media to cover this sex scandal of high ranking military/political people. All to get the focus off of something that no one except Fox News was talking about in the first place.

Well done Obama administration, well done.

Facepalm.jpg
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    now that its pretty clear petraeus handed over classified information to broadwell, it begs the question....WILL HE GET THE BRADLEY MANNING TREATMENT?

11 months of:
    23 hours solitary confinement
    forced to sleep naked
    cavity searched every night before bed
    not permitted to lie down from 0500-2200
  • Options
    JC29856 wrote:
    now that its pretty clear petraeus handed over classified information to broadwell, it begs the question....WILL HE GET THE BRADLEY MANNING TREATMENT?

11 months of:
    23 hours solitary confinement
    forced to sleep naked
    cavity searched every night before bed
    not permitted to lie down from 0500-2200
    It is clear that he did that? I haven't read that anywhere - can you post it?
  • Options
    I continue to think there is a massive amount of gun jumping going on here.

• Options
    general-david-petraeus-infidelity-cia-thanksgiving-ecards-someecards.png
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    They learned that Ms. Broadwell and Mr. Petraeus had set up private Gmail accounts to use for their communications, which included explicit details of a sexual nature, according to U.S. officials. But because Mr. Petraeus used a pseudonym, agents doing the monitoring didn't immediately uncover that he was the one communicating with Ms. Broadwell.

During Ms. Broadwell's first interview in September, she admitted to the affair and turned over her computer, the officials said.

On her computer, investigators found classified documents, the U.S. officials said, a discovery that raised new concerns.

At Mr. Petraeus's interview in the week before the election, he also admitted the affair and said he hadn't provided the classified documents to Ms. Broadwell.
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... 95852.html
  • Options
    norm wrote:
    They learned that Ms. Broadwell and Mr. Petraeus had set up private Gmail accounts to use for their communications, which included explicit details of a sexual nature, according to U.S. officials. But because Mr. Petraeus used a pseudonym, agents doing the monitoring didn't immediately uncover that he was the one communicating with Ms. Broadwell.

During Ms. Broadwell's first interview in September, she admitted to the affair and turned over her computer, the officials said.

On her computer, investigators found classified documents, the U.S. officials said, a discovery that raised new concerns.

At Mr. Petraeus's interview in the week before the election, he also admitted the affair and said he hadn't provided the classified documents to Ms. Broadwell.
    Thanks!
  • Options
    norm wrote:

This becomes America's business... when classified documents are illegally removed from secure facilities.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    norm wrote:

Has it been confirmed that he gave her the classified material? I thought there were initial reports that she had compromised his computer and accessed info herself? That was the distinction in my mind. Is that incorrect?

• Options
    JimmyV wrote:
    norm wrote:

Has it been confirmed that he gave her the classified material? I thought there were initial reports that she had compromised his computer and accessed info herself? That was the distinction in my mind. Is that incorrect?
    Either way... classified documents are not where they are supposed to be. That is a problem... especially when the documents are CIA related.
    People are going to be in trouble for this.
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    Cosmo wrote:
    Either way... classified documents are not where they are supposed to be. That is a problem... especially when the documents are CIA related.

Agreed. I do think there is a difference between him giving and her taking, but neither is acceptable and both are a big deal. This is much more important to me than who he was sleeping with.

• Options
    edited November 2012
    JimmyV wrote:
    Cosmo wrote:

Agreed. I do think there is a difference between him giving and her taking, but neither is acceptable and both are a big deal. This is much more important to me than who he was sleeping with.
    Sure... if it's really true. Plus, God knows what they might consider "classified documents". It could have been the menu for a CIA christmas party for all we know. Best to wait and see how it unfolds!
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    JimmyV wrote:
    norm wrote:

what distinction? he gave her access to classified material

i don't know about you, but i don't want the head of the cia giving any chick that would suck his viagra-aided dick access to anything classified