Options

CIA director David Petraeus resigns

Comments

• Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,176
    this is crazy.

i am not sure about the timing though.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,605
    edited November 2012
    Yeah, I really don't understand this at all, which is why I'm thinking something weird is going on. No one gives a flying fuck if the FBI director is banging his biographer. I find it hard to believe that this is the real reason he is losing the position. I do not think it has anything to do with Benghazi either, since his simple resignation would have no impact in any circumstance I can imagine. Unless, I suppose, something about it down the pipeline is likely to surface which would force his resignation, and they're beating a scandal to it, since this crazy bitch he was sleeping with was going to go public anyway, so why not beat her to it and avoid anREAL future problem at the same time - 2 birds with one stone.

Also, I seriously doubt that this would have had any impact whatsoever on the election, so the delay of this info seems irrelevant (even though it seems likely that the election is the reason the info wasn't released earlier... I just don't think it matters that they thought that would be a good idea as far as the outcome of the election goes... unless, of course, there is a fear of the REAL reason behind this resignation would get out, and THAT would affect the outcome... and what outcome would the FBI investigators be trying to avoid, anyway? An Obama win or a Romney win?? That the White House knew nothing , supposedly, is interesting... but not necessarily true either). So wtf is up?? Talk about interesting... IF we ever find out what's really going on, that is.

I suppose there is another possibility. Besides a conspiracy theory, I mean. The guy could just be such an arrogant son of a bitch that he actually believes his stupid affair would have an impact on national politics, and begged investigators to keep it hush hush until after the election, so his his sex life didn't turn the history of the world on a dime. If that's the case, then hahahaha!!
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,605
    Smellyman wrote:
    tybird wrote:
    Your top spy should not have a blackmail worthy secret....not a moral issue in this case.

Right... but the secret is out now so can't really blackmail him with it anymore.

But I guess I see your point. That' a very good reason.

I guess it's a bit different for say... a line worker at a GM plant than the guy who knows the names and addresses of the SEALs who took out Bin Ladin.

call me a conspiracy theorist, but I can gurantee they have way more to blackmail than a menial affair.
    I agree! Not to mention plain bribery. I doubt there has ever been a director of the FBI who wasn't having an affair, frankly. Hoover was lucky he never married. And if that would be an issue for that position, then it would be an issuebfor all FBI agents, and i seriously doubt that fucking someone on the side is a fireable offence. There is no way FBI investigators would consider a regular affair reason to invalidate the FBI director's ability to do his job. This whole thing is just weird. But again, it could be just plain old unfathomable arrogance at work.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    norm wrote:
    hope no bunnies were harmed
    1fatal_attraction.jpg
    You had to mention the bunny :fp:
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    okie doke...this story has officially gone off the rails :wtf: :lol::lol:
    In conclusion: a woman having an affair with the director of the CIA sent threatening emails to another woman she thought might be having an affair with the same CIA director, and then that woman reported the emails to an FBI agent, who then became obsessed and sent her harassing emails of his own, including some in which he was shirtless. This is officially some next level shit.
    http://gawker.com/5960001/an-fbi-agent- ... socialflow
  • Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    norm wrote:
    In conclusion: a woman having an affair with the director of the CIA sent threatening emails to another woman she thought might be having an affair with the same CIA director, and then that woman reported the emails to an FBI agent, who then became obsessed and sent her harassing emails of his own, including some in which he was shirtless. This is officially some next level shit.
    :wtf:

Still trying to figure out how the head of a massive security agency couldn't have the sense not to send emails to his girlfriend.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,081
    norm wrote:

Still trying to figure out how the head of a massive security agency couldn't have the sense not to send emails to his girlfriend.

I'm gonna go with ego.
  • Options
    norm wrote:

Sex makes otherwise intelligent people do fucked up things... Remember that story a couple of years ago about that astronaut who drove across country wearing a diaper so she could kidnap a rival homewrecker?
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    seen this somewhere...

broadwell puts the ass back in "classified"
    broadwell gives new meaning to "embedded"
    broadwell fancys "ass licking little chicken shits"
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    Jill Kelley, The General Slayer.

Al Qaeda should at the very least send her a fruit basket.
  • Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305

Sex makes otherwise intelligent people do fucked up things... Remember that story a couple of years ago about that astronaut who drove across country wearing a diaper so she could kidnap a rival homewrecker?
    :think:

Good point.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options
    tumblr_mdfqhsg0pJ1r0wmpgo1_500.jpg

:lol::lol: :fp: :lol:
  • Options
    Obama's team was wise to wait until just after election before letting the top blow off this story.

His hand chosen pick for CIA and his commanding officer in Afghanistan in steamy affairs. Possible security breaches that involved our top spy.

I'm guessing Eric Cantor is getting a lot of inside grief for not pushing the tip on this story up the chain of command.
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,934
    Remember when this guy was a darling of the GOP and the guy who was going to unseat Obama in 2012?

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    So the whole investigation began because a FBI Agent who apparently had the hots for Jill Kelley did her a personal favor to investigate a few catty emails?

That is the first disturbing fact: it appears that the FBI not only devoted substantial resources, but also engaged in highly invasive surveillance, for no reason other than to do a personal favor for a friend of one of its agents, to find out who was very mildly harassing her by email. The emails Kelley received were, as the Daily Beast reports, quite banal and clearly not an event that warranted an FBI investigation:

"The emails that Jill Kelley showed an FBI friend near the start of last summer were not jealous lover warnings like 'stay away from my man', a knowledgeable source tells The Daily Beast. . .

"'More like, 'Who do you think you are? . . .You parade around the base . . . You need to take it down a notch,'" according to the source, who was until recently at the highest levels of the intelligence community and prefers not to be identified by name.

http://www.businessinsider.com/fbi-abuse-of-the-surveillance-state-2012-11#ixzz2C81aReH2
  • Options
    tumblr_mdfs3rMxXV1qdvqkoo1_500.png

1. Threatening emails: Early in the summer, Jill Kelley complains to an FBI friend about being sent harassing emails. The FBI later establishes they came from Paula Broadwell, who co-authored a biography of Gen David Petraeus.

2. Affair: The FBI investigation also reveals emails between Mrs Broadwell - a married former military officer - and Gen Petraeus that indicate they were having an extra-marital affair.

3. Family friends: Jill Kelley and her husband, Scott, are family friends of Gen Petraeus and his wife, Holly. Officials say Mrs Broadwell saw Mrs Kelley as a rival for Gen Petraeus's attentions. However, there is no suggestion Mrs Kelley and Gen Petraeus had an affair.

4. "Inappropriate emails" investigated: The top US commander in Afghanistan, Gen John Allen, is now being investigated for allegedly sending "inappropriate emails" to Jill Kelley. The FBI has referred the matter to the Pentagon. A senior official says up to 30,000 pages of emails and other documents are under review.
  • Options
    Wait, what?

This just keeps getting weirder. Both Gen. David Petraeus and Gen. John Allen intervened in a custody battle involving the sister of Jill Kelley, the New York Post revealed on Tuesday. Kelley has been linked to both Petraeus—she allegedly first reported the emails Petraeus’s mistress Paula Broadwell sent her as harassment—and Allen, who allegedly sent her between 20,000 to 30,000 pages of “potentially inappropriate” emails. Both Petraeus and Allen wrote letters to family court in support of Kelley’s sister, Natalie Khawan, who was entangled with her ex-husband in a nasty custody battle for their 4-year-old son.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/cheats/2012/11/13/allen-petraeus-helped-kelley-s-sister.html
  • Options
    norm wrote:
    tumblr_mdfs3rMxXV1qdvqkoo1_500.png

1. Threatening emails: Early in the summer, Jill Kelley complains to an FBI friend about being sent harassing emails. The FBI later establishes they came from Paula Broadwell, who co-authored a biography of Gen David Petraeus.

2. Affair: The FBI investigation also reveals emails between Mrs Broadwell - a married former military officer - and Gen Petraeus that indicate they were having an extra-marital affair.

3. Family friends: Jill Kelley and her husband, Scott, are family friends of Gen Petraeus and his wife, Holly. Officials say Mrs Broadwell saw Mrs Kelley as a rival for Gen Petraeus's attentions. However, there is no suggestion Mrs Kelley and Gen Petraeus had an affair.

4. "Inappropriate emails" investigated: The top US commander in Afghanistan, Gen John Allen, is now being investigated for allegedly sending "inappropriate emails" to Jill Kelley. The FBI has referred the matter to the Pentagon. A senior official says up to 30,000 pages of emails and other documents are under review.

30,000 pages?!?! Wow! Who has time to even write that much?

• Options
    Hugh Freaking DillonHugh Freaking Dillon Posts: 14,010
    edited November 2012
    I think it's hilarious that Paula Broadwell supposedly had an affair with a guy she wrote a book about, calling the book "All In".

Hello, innuendo.
    Post edited by Hugh Freaking Dillon on
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    What makes people actually believe that former director Petraeus CANNOT be called to testify in a Congressional Hearing... just because he has resigned his position? The only way that can't directly question him and hear his responses is if he were dead.
    Haven't people heard about something called a 'subpoena'?
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    JimmyV wrote:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=183720&hilit=20%2C000+post+club
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    JimmyV wrote:

http://community.pearljam.com/viewtopic ... +post+club

:lol:

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Cosmo wrote:
    What makes people actually believe that former director Petraeus CANNOT be called to testify in a Congressional Hearing... just because he has resigned his position? The only way that can't directly question him and hear his responses is if he were dead.
    I said something similar at the start of this thread...makes no sense.

Something's rotten in Denmark!
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    maybe that was the way to get out....or to cover up something bigger..
    ill say the same,i said the first day thread open
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    hedonist wrote:
    Cosmo wrote:

I don't understand... do people believe that a bank president, for example, can avert any judicial hearing about descrepencies in banking practices... just by quitting his job?
    Former director Petraeus CAN be served a subpoena to testify before Congress. His resignation DOES NOT make him immune to testifying.
    Now... it is up to the Congressional Panel to decide whether or not to call on Petraeus before them or not.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    maybe that was the way to get out....or to cover up something bigger..
    ill say the same,i said the first day thread open

I agree. I wonder what the CIA fucked up this time.
  • Options
    Cosmo wrote:
    hedonist wrote:
    Cosmo wrote:

I don't understand... do people believe that a bank president, for example, can avert any judicial hearing about descrepencies in banking practices... just by quitting his job?
    Former director Petraeus CAN be served a subpoena to testify before Congress. His resignation DOES NOT make him immune to testifying.
    Now... it is up to the Congressional Panel to decide whether or not to call on Petraeus before them or not.

True... honestly, he could just be buying time.
  • Options
    I understand where everyone is coming from but I do think it is very premature to assume there is any sort of cover-up underway. It is very possible that this is just a case of a guy who gave into temptation and had an affair, a woman who got jealous and didn't handle it very well, another guy who wrote 30,000 pages of love letters while serving as the supreme military commander in Afghanistan, and an FBI agent who jumped in on the action by sending topless pictures of himself. Jesus...we really do need a head shake smilie.

Anyway, I'm not convinced that this is anything other than people behaving badly. Let's hope that is really all it is.

• Options
    JimmyV wrote:
    I understand where everyone is coming from but I do think it is very premature to assume there is any sort of cover-up underway. It is very possible that this is just a case of a guy who gave into temptation and had an affair, a woman who got jealous and didn't handle it very well, another guy who wrote 30,000 pages of love letters while serving as the supreme military commander in Afghanistan, and an FBI agent who jumped in on the action by sending topless pictures of himself. Jesus...we really do need a head shake smilie.

Anyway, I'm not convinced that this is anything other than people behaving badly. Let's hope that is really all it is.

Through my distrust of the CIA, I always assume the worst...
  • Options
    JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    the cia kidnapped and detained Libyan militia, the attack on the consulate was retaliation or attempt to free the prisoners, 3 people died

exe order 13491

Sec. 4. Prohibition of Certain Detention Facilities, and Red Cross Access to Detained Individuals.

(a) CIA Detention. The CIA shall close as expeditiously as possible any detention facilities that it currently operates and shall not operate any such detention facility in the future.

(b) International Committee of the Red Cross Access to Detained Individuals. All departments and agencies of the Federal Government shall provide the International Committee of the Red Cross with notification of, and timely access to, any individual detained in any armed conflict in the custody or under the effective control of an officer, employee, or other agent of the United States Government or detained within a facility owned, operated, or controlled by a department or agency of the United States Government, consistent with Department of Defense regulations and policies.