Options

Election Night Thread

Comments

• Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,264
    that was a great speech. when he talked about voting and politics and he said that there are people all over the world fighting for the right to argue, it really hit me hard. i take that right for granted every day... and i thought it was really good towards the end where he was nearly shouting his speech. he sounded like a leader for once...

to see the diversity at that celebration was beautiful. that is the perfect image for me to see before going to bed :)
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    unlost dogsunlost dogs Greater Boston Posts: 12,553
    Going to sleep happy now.

My presidential and senate candidates won.

I can get my car fixed at the local autoshop, why the mechanic I've known for years.

Medical marijuana will be legal in Massachusetts.

Just waiting to hear the final results about physician-assisted suicide...
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • Options
    The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, Canada Posts: 12,158
    America has hope!
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • Options
    i have a lot of respect for steve schmidt. i watched several channels tonight and i happend to be on msnbc when he said this. and i think he is right.

Steve Schmidt, Former McCain Adviser: Time For GOP Leaders To Reject 'Extreme Statements'

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/0 ... 86051.html

Steve Schmidt, a Republican strategist and former campaign adviser to Sen. John McCain, tore into GOP leadership in the wake of President Barack Obama's victory on Tuesday, urging them to speak out more aggressively against the most extreme voices in the party.

Appearing on MSNBC, Schmidt referenced a recent Twitter tirade by Donald Trump as evidence that something needs to be done about toning down the rhetoric from certain elements of the GOP.

"Now, people calling for revolution and these extreme statements -- when I talk about a civil war in the Republican Party, what I mean is, it's time for Republican elected leaders to stand up and to repudiate this nonsense, and to repudiate it directly," he said. "There has been a culture of fear and intimidation, that you are not a real conservative if you won't, you know, if you won't, you know, stand -- if you stand up to these extreme statements, whether it's Rush Limbaugh calling that young lady a slut or a hundred other examples over the last four years."

Controversial statements by Republican candidates became devastating campaign issues in a number of races this year. Senate elections in Missouri and Indiana in particular were rocked when the GOP nominees made eyebrow-raising remarks about rape. Missouri Rep. Todd Akin and Indiana state Treasurer Richard Mourdock lost, but not before forcing party officials to make tough decisions about continuing support of their candidacies.

Schmidt has been happy to run against the Republican grain as Election Day approached. Earlier this week, he claimed that popular GOP arguments about alleged widespread voter fraud were simply part of the party's "mythology."
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

• Options
    acutejamacutejam Posts: 1,433
    Ah, nah don't mean to be venomous, just sad. I really believe we are all really close on most issues and it just comes down to priorities. I will always be proud of our president's accomplishments and sadden by the failures. I think mitt had a solid record and was capable of being president.

Obama has a proud record and four more years to add to it. He has definitely earned it.
    [sic] happens
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,652
    i have a lot of respect for steve schmidt. i watched several channels tonight and i happend to be on msnbc when he said this. and i think he is right.

Steve Schmidt, Former McCain Adviser: Time For GOP Leaders To Reject 'Extreme Statements'

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/0 ... 86051.html

Steve Schmidt, a Republican strategist and former campaign adviser to Sen. John McCain, tore into GOP leadership in the wake of President Barack Obama's victory on Tuesday, urging them to speak out more aggressively against the most extreme voices in the party.

Appearing on MSNBC, Schmidt referenced a recent Twitter tirade by Donald Trump as evidence that something needs to be done about toning down the rhetoric from certain elements of the GOP.

"Now, people calling for revolution and these extreme statements -- when I talk about a civil war in the Republican Party, what I mean is, it's time for Republican elected leaders to stand up and to repudiate this nonsense, and to repudiate it directly," he said. "There has been a culture of fear and intimidation, that you are not a real conservative if you won't, you know, if you won't, you know, stand -- if you stand up to these extreme statements, whether it's Rush Limbaugh calling that young lady a slut or a hundred other examples over the last four years."

Controversial statements by Republican candidates became devastating campaign issues in a number of races this year. Senate elections in Missouri and Indiana in particular were rocked when the GOP nominees made eyebrow-raising remarks about rape. Missouri Rep. Todd Akin and Indiana state Treasurer Richard Mourdock lost, but not before forcing party officials to make tough decisions about continuing support of their candidacies.

Schmidt has been happy to run against the Republican grain as Election Day approached. Earlier this week, he claimed that popular GOP arguments about alleged widespread voter fraud were simply part of the party's "mythology."

Well, this is the guy that had a lot to do with everyone knowing the name Sarah Palin, but since that election, I would agree that he has come a long ways. I most definitely respect his opinion. A lot more than that clown, Fleischer.
  • Options
    That speech was amazing. One of the best of his career.

So proud right now.
  • Options
    now, if bachmann loses my night would be complete...

• Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,652

So proud right now.

2004 and this, I would have to say are by far his best.
  • Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560

So proud right now.
    Agreed. Has me hopeful for the future and believes things will happen and the future of our country will get better these next four years.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Gotta go with Springsteen
    x2!
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    vant0037vant0037 Posts: 6,083

Staying up late, watching those MN races...
    1998-06-30 Minneapolis
    2003-06-16 St. Paul
    2006-06-26 St. Paul
    2007-08-05 Chicago
    2009-08-23 Chicago
    2009-08-28 San Francisco
    2010-05-01 NOLA (Jazz Fest)
    2011-07-02 EV Minneapolis
    2011-09-03 PJ20
    2011-09-04 PJ20
    2011-09-17 Winnipeg
    2012-06-26 Amsterdam
    2012-06-27 Amsterdam
    2013-07-19 Wrigley
    2013-11-21 San Diego
    2013-11-23 Los Angeles
    2013-11-24 Los Angeles
    2014-07-08 Leeds, UK
    2014-07-11 Milton Keynes, UK
    2014-10-09 Lincoln
    2014-10-19 St. Paul
    2014-10-20 Milwaukee
    2016-08-20 Wrigley 1
    2016-08-22 Wrigley 2
    2018-06-18 London 1
    2018-08-18 Wrigley 1
    2018-08-20 Wrigley 2
    2022-09-16 Nashville
    2023-08-31 St. Paul
    2023-09-02 St. Paul
    2023-09-05 Chicago 1
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,920
    that was a great speech. when he talked about voting and politics and he said that there are people all over the world fighting for the right to argue, it really hit me hard. i take that right for granted every day... and i thought it was really good towards the end where he was nearly shouting his speech. he sounded like a leader for once...

to see the diversity at that celebration was beautiful. that is the perfect image for me to see before going to bed :)

Those were great points- the speech was absolutely superb . Obama made so many excellent points and, best of all, it felt real and sincere. And I think he meant what he said about working together- I hope we learn to do that.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    virginia goes obama!!

holy crap, who would have thought that would happen??

• Options
    vant0037 wrote:

how close is it?

• Options
    Newch91 wrote:

So proud right now.
    Agreed. Has me hopeful for the future and believes things will happen and the future of our country will get better these next four years.

Yes to both. It really does feel good to feel hopeful.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    brianlux wrote:

Those were great points- the speech was absolutely superb . Obama made so many excellent points and, best of all, it felt real and sincere. And I think he meant what he said about working together- I hope we learn to do that.
    I think we'll be seeing him and Boehner working together.
  • Options
    vant0037 wrote:

how close is it?
    Very close.

http://www.cnn.com/election/2012/result ... N/house/06
  • Options
    it is nice to not be stressed out or worried about what would have happened if romney won and the gop took the senate. believe it or not, i was really anxious these last few weeks. i thought it was going to be very close.

i think that right now i feel more relieved than anything.

• Options
    Newch91 wrote:
    wow, very thin margins there. thanks for the link.

• Options
    vant0037vant0037 Posts: 6,083
    vant0037 wrote:

how close is it?

Bachmann up by less than 2,000 votes with 81% reporting...

The problem with following these local races is that they can't isolate which precincts aren't yet reporting, so you never know what's just around the bend.

The gay marriage ban on the ballot in MN was neck and neck all night, with a slight edge in favor of the ban, and when I last refreshed the local news page, the opponents of the ban now had a 2 percentage point lead (some 20,000 votes) had swung the other way.

So yeah...it's pretty close on a lot of fronts.
    1998-06-30 Minneapolis
    2003-06-16 St. Paul
    2006-06-26 St. Paul
    2007-08-05 Chicago
    2009-08-23 Chicago
    2009-08-28 San Francisco
    2010-05-01 NOLA (Jazz Fest)
    2011-07-02 EV Minneapolis
    2011-09-03 PJ20
    2011-09-04 PJ20
    2011-09-17 Winnipeg
    2012-06-26 Amsterdam
    2012-06-27 Amsterdam
    2013-07-19 Wrigley
    2013-11-21 San Diego
    2013-11-23 Los Angeles
    2013-11-24 Los Angeles
    2014-07-08 Leeds, UK
    2014-07-11 Milton Keynes, UK
    2014-10-09 Lincoln
    2014-10-19 St. Paul
    2014-10-20 Milwaukee
    2016-08-20 Wrigley 1
    2016-08-22 Wrigley 2
    2018-06-18 London 1
    2018-08-18 Wrigley 1
    2018-08-20 Wrigley 2
    2022-09-16 Nashville
    2023-08-31 St. Paul
    2023-09-02 St. Paul
    2023-09-05 Chicago 1
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,741
    edited November 2012
    So Obama only got 39% of the white vote ... what gives, white America?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    acutejam wrote:
    Ah, nah don't mean to be venomous, just sad. I really believe we are all really close on most issues and it just comes down to priorities. I will always be proud of our president's accomplishments and sadden by the failures. I think mitt had a solid record and was capable of being president.

Obama has a proud record and four more years to add to it. He has definitely earned it.

Alright then, we can just agree to disagree. It's not really worth getting into it over an election when it would be much more fun for all of us to have a beer together at a PJ show in the future. We're all here for a mutual love, it would be a pity if we let some shit like this fuck that up. I'm not saying music is more important than the future of the country or anything like that, but the election is over and there's nothing we can do about it except for hope that things get better. You don't sound like one of those Limbaugh types who want the country to get fucked up for the sole purpose of being able to say "I told you so" later. That's the only type of people I really can't stand. People who are so caught up with the "teams" and forgetting that we're all supposed to be one team.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,741
    acutejam wrote:

Alright then, we can just agree to disagree. It's not really worth getting into it over an election when it would be much more fun for all of us to have a beer together at a PJ show in the future. We're all here for a mutual love, it would be a pity if we let some shit like this fuck that up. I'm not saying music is more important than the future of the country or anything like that, but the election is over and there's nothing we can do about it except for hope that things get better. You don't sound like one of those Limbaugh types who want the country to get fucked up for the sole purpose of being able to say "I told you so" later. That's the only type of people I really can't stand. People who are so caught up with the "teams" and forgetting that we're all supposed to be one team.
    Let's all just look at your signature pic and feel good. :D Oh fuck I love that sketch. ;)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,631
    it is nice to not be stressed out or worried about what would have happened if romney won and the gop took the senate. believe it or not, i was really anxious these last few weeks. i thought it was going to be very close.

i think that right now i feel more relieved than anything.

Were you scared they would actually pass legislation instead of collecting paychecks for no work? Ha. The kids of our nation are going to grow up not knowing what legislation is.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Let's all just look at your signature pic and feel good. :D Oh fuck I love that sketch. ;)

I love that sketch too. Mainly because I love the old Twilight Zone with Shatner. And even the remake of it in the Twilight Zone film with John Lithgow. It would have been great regardless of what band, if any, was in it.

250px-PubTThou01.jpg
    SHATNER!!!!!
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:

I love that sketch too. Mainly because I love the old Twilight Zone with Shatner. And even the remake of it in the Twilight Zone film with John Lithgow. It would have been great regardless of what band, if any, was in it.

250px-PubTThou01.jpg
    SHATNER!!!!!

It is a great photo (the signature one). What's it from?

• Options
    brianlux wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

250px-PubTThou01.jpg
    SHATNER!!!!!

It is a great photo (the signature one). What's it from?

When PJ was on SNL promoting Backspacer they were in a sketch that was a parody of an old Twilight Zone episode (and later remade for the film) about an airplane passenger (Shatner in the original, Lithgow in the film, Jude Law on SNL) who starts freaking out because he sees a strange monster on his airplane wing trying to tear it up and crash it.
  • Options

When PJ was on SNL promoting Backspacer they were in a sketch that was a parody of an old Twilight Zone episode (and later remade for the film) about an airplane passenger (Shatner in the original, Lithgow in the film, Jude Law on SNL) who starts freaking out because he sees a strange monster on his airplane wing trying to tear it up and crash it.
    :lol: Cool. Gotta look for that.

• Options
    brianlux wrote:

:lol: Cool. Gotta look for that.

Here ya go...

http://vimeo.com/34153673