Pit Posting Memory Lane

SnakeduckSnakeduck Posts: 1,056
edited October 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
Feel freeto post your own memories of the pit and its posters if you like...

This (rather long) post may wind up pushing the boundaries of cheesy sentiment so I apologize in advance. All my therapists have told me that being nice to people won’t actually kill me even if it hurts a bit, so here goes…

I want to thank you peeps for being such a big part of my (work) life for the last 14 years or so. I started lurking a couple of years after I started the undercover government agent job. So, if memory serves, it would have been early 1999 that I discovered the internet and shortly afterwards a PJ website. Who knew? Well, obviously some did because the pit was full of colorful characters. I’d read something every day that made me want to send a response but I figured the IT staff would instantly know and that would be my job.
After a while I just didn’t really care about job security, so I may have actually sent my first post in like 2002, maybe 2003, not sure, but I do know it was in response to what I thought was Dunkman saying something insensitive to Harmless Little Fuck; something that seemed to make fun of his wheelchair bound status. My response was not very pleasant (imagine that) and I didn’t realize the two of them were actually friends. Ooops. Anyway, I think Dunk knew I was just trying to stick up for someone so he and I eventually became posting buddies (does that sound gay? – not that there’s anything wrong…).

Anyway, over the years, I have vanished for long stretches of time and there is always a new cast of characters when I return. Well, some stick around, some with new names… 

As of the last time I left, I was certain I wouldn’t be coming back. Just other priorities combined with having to pay to post and all that. Then Norm tracked me down and told me about PJ playing the Montana show. Honestly, I had pretty much given up on PJ at that point too. They never play near where I live and the last show I had seen (in 2001) was really subpar in my book, so I found myself drifting away, in more ways than one.

Anyhoo, that kick-ass Missoula show changed everything for me and I’m stoked to be on PJ high once again. It was really cool to be able to finally meet some of you loons. Up to that point, I had never really let any of you be more than just words on a screen, except for maybe the few I choked to death in my dreams…
So, to those who have been my friends, supported my writing, my music, my boredom at work, and even to those who sometimes inspired me to sharpen my knives, thank you for all the memories and possible future encounters.

Norm! – Owe you big time big guy. One sloppy kiss coming right up.
D-Man – Brevity is wit! Thanks for always making me laugh… oh, and the crash pad!
Unlost Dogs – What a nut! Makes me laugh just thinking about her enthusiasm… and my wife thinks you are the greatest thing since sliced bread.
RKCANDY – Sheer awesomeness encapsulated, and a hell of a dessert maker, and she’ll float you a smoke or two if the need arises… and my wife thinks you are the greatest thing since Unlost.
Lizard – Thanks for reading my work; it was great to meet you!
Chadwick – Always a pleasure, fellow psychopath and word smith!
Comebackgirl – As beautiful as she is kind and intelligent… and patient too, and basically the good person I sometimes wish I strived to be.
Black Diamond – BD loves me more than he lets on, pretty sure I’m in the will somewhere…
Lauriamae - Thank you for going above and beyond helping me get the tickets; I owe you drinks and then some!
PJ-Rocks and PJ-Soul – always confused the two of you posting until I actually met you. Pretty sure I’ve got it straightened out now.
BinauralJam – Always enjoyed your posting, keep up the good work. Happy Birthday!
MickeyRat – Good peeps… for a truck driver (hey Speedy!)
G under p – A gentleman and a scholar… who could probably whip all of our asses if need be.
81, Nature Lover, I’m a Truck, and kw18 – It was great meeting the Dirty Franking crew after seeing all the pictures of the road trip; that’s about when the whole Missoula madness was becoming real to me.

I’ll continue to add more names and accolades to the list as an excuse to bump my thread. I’ll get to everyone eventually… probably, maybe, or not.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• cheesey sentiment or not, I enjoyed your post and am glad to have you back!
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    this thread is so unlike you....you are softening
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    jeez, what a pussy
  • SnakeduckSnakeduck Posts: 1,056
    81 wrote:
    this thread is so unlike you....you are softening

I was told that if my urges to kill lasted for longer than three hours I needed to see a doctor... This is what happens when the medical community gets their hands on you.
  • Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    norm wrote:
    jeez, what a pussy
    Way to go Norm...
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    Awwwww.....Enjoyed meeting you and your wife and chatting.
    take care
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
    norm wrote:
    jeez, what a pussy
    Way to go Norm...

:wave:
    norm wrote:
    jeez, what a pussy
    Way to go Norm...

Kind of reminds me of something that Cutback motherfucker would have said. So help me Waffle if I ever run into that guy in person... or I should say, so help him. :twisted:
    Snakeduck wrote:
    norm wrote:
    jeez, what a pussy
    Way to go Norm...

Kind of reminds me of something that Cutback motherfucker would have said. So help me Waffle if I ever run into that guy in person... or I should say, so help him. :twisted:

now that guy was a friggin' tool! so glad he's gone!
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    now that you got all sentimental and stuff...you can't leave again.

The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    RKCNDY wrote:
    now that you got all sentimental and stuff...you can't leave again.

No promises... and I'm sure it's a passing sickness. I might still be drunk from last night.
    does this mean the acid mines are closed? and if so, what will happen to all those children?
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    Lizard wrote:
    take care

This thread is useless without pictures.
    norm wrote:
    does this mean the acid mines are closed? and if so, what will happen to all those children?

Actually, I think I've just been feeling so positive because I just opened another acid mine. Franchise, baby! Well, not babies, per se, they need to be old enough to lift a pick-axe.
    Lizard wrote:
    take care

Got this one of y'all at the Press Box...

bb09.jpg
    Snakeduck wrote:
    norm wrote:

Actually, I think I've just been feeling so positive because I just opened another acid mine. Franchise, baby! Well, not babies, per se, they need to be old enough to lift a pick-axe.

but in franchising, you lose the personal touch...hopefully you'll keep in close contact with all your new mines
    Snakeduck wrote:
    Lizard wrote:
    take care

Got this one of y'all at the Press Box...

bb09.jpg

look at 81's pants!
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,410
    cool post, man. look forward to meeting you at a show next year.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    mfc2006 wrote:

His ankle bracelet has a range of 500 miles from Boise.
    mfc2006 wrote:

His ankle bracelet has a range of 500 miles from Boise.

well, it better be close to Boise then! :lol::lol:
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • comebackgirlcomebackgirl Posts: 9,885
    You kidnapped me and held me captive in your basement for all those years and it turns out you're the one with Stockholm syndrome. There is no other explanation for your post :lol:
    I love this post and the sense of community so many of us seem to have on the board :)
    Stalking....I mean meeting you was almost as cool as those 3 times I stalked...I mean met...Eddie :mrgreen:
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    norm wrote:
    jeez, what a pussy

I'm sitting in a meeting, my back to the wall, secretly reading the forum.

All was well until I read this post and then chortled out loud.

Thanks Norm.

:x
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
    You kidnapped me and held me captive in your basement for all those years and it turns out you're the one with Stockholm syndrome. There is no other explanation for your post :lol:
    I love this post and the sense of community so many of us seem to have on the board :)
    Stalking....I mean meeting you was almost as cool as those 3 times I stalked...I mean met...Eddie :mrgreen:

stalking? it's not 'stalking'.....it's called 'close undercover supervision'
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    norm wrote:
    jeez, what a pussy

Thanks Norm.

then my work here is done!
    norm wrote:
    jeez, what a pussy

Thanks Norm.

:lol::lol::lol:

good job, Norm! :thumbup:
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    Snakeduck wrote:
    Unlost Dogs – What a nut! Makes me laugh just thinking about her enthusiasm… and my wife thinks you are the greatest thing since sliced bread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rl_NpdAy3WY

I should add at this point that RKCNDY, myself and afroannnie spent a fair amount of time trying to find somewhere to purchase cheerleader pompoms in the metro Missoula area.

We were not successful.

And now I can't remember why we were so intent on having pompoms.

Mrs. Snakeduck is arguably the coolest person I have ever met. I even bought a new backpack for Acadia State Park, thinking it would likely meet with her approval. And get this, I even STEPPED OFF THE CARRIAGE ROAD AND ONTO AN ACTUAL TRAIL!

And you yourself, Snake (I feel like I can call you Snake now), you are swell.

;)

Smooch!
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
    Don't forget...we didn't find 'peddels' either...I still really wanted to throw bicycle pedals at the Chicago crew...well, except for Becky, poor Becky endured enough already.

- Christopher McCandless
    RKCNDY wrote:
    Don't forget...we didn't find 'peddels' either...I still really wanted to throw bicycle pedals at the Chicago crew...well, except for Becky, poor Becky endured enough already.

Good God. Wandering all over Missoula, searching for pompoms and "peddels." And doing 25 u-turns in a row on the main drag.

It's no wonder they were all so afraid.
    RKCNDY wrote:

i so wanted to see this happen...still makes me laugh thinking about it :lol::lol::lol:
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,213
    Consider your self lucky you met up with a bunch of nice people stay away from the NY & Philly preparties :lol::lol:
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....