Options

iOS 6: New Features, Comments, & iOS 6 for Dummies

Comments

• Options
    __ Posts: 6,651
    I would like to rename this thread ios6 for dummies :lol::lol: (meaning me,not insulting anyone else :roll: )

:lol: Done! (ish)
  • Options
    DS1119 wrote:
    I would like to rename this thread ios6 for dummies :lol::lol: (meaning me,not insulting anyone else :roll: )

That has always been one of my criticisms of Apple. You buy the iPhone...open the box...no manual. Can I get a manual please? :fp: :lol:

You can download them to iBooks for free pretty easily. Of course, they should at least come with instructions for how to do that. Seems like pre-packaged hard copies of the full manual would too easily become obsolete with operating system updates though.
  • Options
    DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    _ wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:
    Really really really wish they put an indicator light on this thing.

What would it indicate?

That I had a missed call, email, or text. Blackberry does it. Android phones do it. Shit, my old "dumb" phones did it. :lol:
  • Options
    DS1119 wrote:
    _ wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:
    Really really really wish they put an indicator light on this thing.

What would it indicate?

That I had a missed call, email, or text. Blackberry does it. Android phones do it. Shit, my old "dumb" phones did it. :lol:

Oh, I see - instead of just the regular notification features on the screen.
  • Options
    _ wrote:
    You can download them to iBooks for free pretty easily. Of course, they should at least come with instructions for how to do that. Seems like pre-packaged hard copies of the full manual would too easily become obsolete with operating system updates though.

This is like saying your car shouldn't come with an owner's manual because next year's model may/will be different? :lol: All of my TV's came with owner's manuals and they also get updated. :lol:
  • Options
    _ wrote:
    Oh, I see - instead of just the regular notification features on the screen.

Yes. Perfect example. I leave the phone in my office. I leave to take a piss. I come back and look at my phone. I see nothing. I must go and turn the phone on to see if I missed anything. If a light was there, it would tell me. I mean the most archaic answering machine known to man has a light that blinks when someone leaves a message. :lol:
  • Options
    DS1119 wrote:
    _ wrote:

This is like saying your car shouldn't come with an owner's manual because next year's model may/will be different? :lol: All of my TV's came with owner's manuals and they also get updated. :lol:

This is different, though, because the software changes even when the hardware doesn't.

I just remembered that the user's manuals are also automatically bookmarked in Safari. So it's already there; you just have to know where to find it. ;)
  • Options
    _ wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:
    _ wrote:

This is different, though, because the software changes even when the hardware doesn't.

I just remembered that the user's manuals are also automatically bookmarked in Safari. So it's already there; you just have to know where to find it. ;)

I see zero difference to be honest. Just give people a book Apple!!! :fp: :lol:
  • Options
    _ wrote:

:lol: Done! (ish)

That's awesome! Thanks! :lol:
    I will walk w/my hands bound
    I will walk w/my face blood
    I will walk w/my shadow flag

Memories back when she was smooth and strong
    and waiting for the world to come along...

Eddie solo Vegas Oct 31,Nov 1 2012
  • Options
    This thread is really funny....I think it's because we aren't trying for it to be but we are all sounding like a bunch of morons :lol::lol: No offence....and yes I know .....speak for myself :lol::lol:
    I will walk w/my hands bound
    I will walk w/my face blood
    I will walk w/my shadow flag

Memories back when she was smooth and strong
    and waiting for the world to come along...

Eddie solo Vegas Oct 31,Nov 1 2012
  • Options
    Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    Got the iPhone 5 on Friday morning. Arrived about 30 minutes before Verizon opened, I was 8th in line and I was out of there within about 45 minutes. I had a Droid X before, which I liked but wanted to try something new. I'm absolutely loving this phone. :D The first thing I noticed when I held it was how light it was. Definitely not worth all the hype, but it is really nice. I've already made use of the great camera..the one on the droid was horrible.
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    Better Dan wrote:
    Got the iPhone 5 on Friday morning. Arrived about 30 minutes before Verizon opened, I was 8th in line and I was out of there within about 45 minutes. I had a Droid X before, which I liked but wanted to try something new. I'm absolutely loving this phone. :D The first thing I noticed when I held it was how light it was. Definitely not worth all the hype, but it is really nice. I've already made use of the great camera..the one on the droid was horrible.

you switched? :o

free texting, my friend!!! i expect to receive some drunk texts from Montana. :lol:
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    mfc2006 wrote:
    Better Dan wrote:

you switched? :o

free texting, my friend!!! i expect to receive some drunk texts from Montana. :lol:

Yeah, I wanted to try something new. I've been eligible for an upgrade for several months but none of the new droid models really caught my eye

HAHA...you can count on the drunk tests..at least on Friday and Saturday :lol: And now I can finally respond to all of your group texts at once instead of just responding to one person or copying and pasting to everyone like I had to do before. :oops:
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • Options
    So, apparently you can customize your phone's vibration rhythm. Not only can you choose from various pre-set rhythms, but you can create your own! You can make different ones for different functions (ringer, text alert, etc). (I don't think you could do that before, right?) Cool!! :thumbup:
  • Options
    _ wrote:
    So, apparently you can customize your phone's vibration rhythm.

That sounds dirty. :lol:

A light would be so much easier. :lol:
  • Options
    DS1119 wrote:
    _ wrote:
    So, apparently you can customize your phone's vibration rhythm.

That sounds dirty. :lol:

A light would be so much easier. :lol:

:lol:
  • Options
    Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    i hear this was geared more for the iphone 5

Ever since doing this update, my iphone4 battery is drained at an insane rate.

Sad thing is, once you've updated , you cannot go back.
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,257
    Bathgate66 wrote:

I haven't noticed change in batt life with my 4S.
  • Options
    mca47 wrote:
    Bathgate66 wrote:

I haven't noticed change in batt life with my 4S.

Me either.
  • Options
    a few of my friends and coworkers
    agreed that their battery life has diminished.

Of course I guess its what apps you run on a regular basis-
    everyones different.
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,257
    I also tend to close the apps completely when I'm not using them. Could be that one of the apps is getting hung up with the new OS and is using more resources than before.
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    DS1119 wrote:

That has always been one of my criticisms of Apple. You buy the iPhone...open the box...no manual. Can I get a manual please? :fp: :lol:

Apple Manuals

http://support.apple.com/manuals/
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    Bathgate66 wrote:

You can go back...but you need to find a real apple techie to help with this.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

• Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    a few of my friends and coworkers
    agreed that their battery life has diminished.

Of course I guess its what apps you run on a regular basis-
    everyones different.

i have the 5 and had battery issues ... i logged a case with apple care and they made me download a file to track things ... my buddy on the same carrier had a similar problem ... then without changing anything it was better overnight ... not sure what that means but it could be that there is some network/carrier related function that is draining your battery ... if you aren't part of apple care - maybe just make a genius appointment at a store if one is close to you ...
  • Options
    i do have an apple care package thing -- i shall call.
    The closest Apple store ( besides Manhattan )
    is out in Garden City- little bit of a hike but no biggie.

thanks everyone.
    :thumbup:
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    riotgrlriotgrl LOUISVILLE Posts: 1,892
    _ wrote:
    Do Not Disturb rules

How do you do this??

It's in your settings. The option to turn it on is one of the main settings, but you have to go to the notifications section (also under settings) to change the settings for the do not disturb feature. (Did that make sense?) So go to Settings --> Notifications --> Do Not Disturb and you can have it automatically turn on based on a schedule (default schedule is 10 PM - 7 AM every night), select a group of people whose calls will come through even when do not disturb is on, and set it to allow calls to come through when the same person calls twice in a row (like in case of an emergency). This last option is brilliant in my opinion.

Brilliant! I cannot accept calls at work at all during the day. If I turn off all sound and vibrate then I forget to turn it back on after school and miss calls the rest of the night (much to my husband's constant annoyance :D
    Are we getting something out of this all-encompassing trip?

Seems my preconceptions are what should have been burned...

I AM MINE
  • Options
    lukin2006 wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

Apple Manuals

Great. Now where's my manual on how to use this world wide interweb thingy? :fp: :lol:
  • Options
    DS1119 wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

Apple Manuals

Great. Now where's my manual on how to use this world wide interweb thingy? :fp: :lol:

That you'll just have to wing it.

• Options
    Ever since the new update, Apple has included an advertising tracking on the phones. They are tracking your shopping and buying habits to give/sell to advertisers. Go to setting, general, about, scroll all the way down to advertising, then turn on limit Ad Tracking to stop this.
    Tell the captain
    'This boats not safe
    And we're drowning.'
  • Options
    Ever since the new update, Apple has included an advertising tracking on the phones. They are tracking your shopping and buying habits to give/sell to advertisers. Go to setting, general, about, scroll all the way down to advertising, then turn on limit Ad Tracking to stop this.

Thanks!