Options

Losing Hope for New Album... Really

Comments

• Options
    I'm looking forward to a new album soon so they can drag their butts back over to Australia.
    *taps foot impatiently*
  • Options
    I just read somewhere that Gwen Stefani wrote "Sweet Escape" in 10 mins. and that was a huge hit.
    Sooooo....
    ;)
  • Options
    davidosdavidos Posts: 469
    I know they have families, other things to do, etc. but it's not stopping them from globe trotting with their side projects playing to a few hundred people (Ed more)... They like to work... just not with each other... hopefully someone is not sick or in rehab.

And I do need to listen to different music... I am a guitar player and I love the interplay between Stone and Mike.... and sprinkle in some Ed.... I just "get it"... it clicks with me... I haven't found anyone out there like them...

is there a band out there that has guitar like PJ? And i'm not talking about Kings of Leon or similar... Can't stand the poppy song driven guitar that has no riffs.
  • Options
    Could we turn this 'waiting' period into something positive? Please take this time to reach out to your community.
    Surely someone in your neighborhood, city, state or country could use your help.

Ask an elderly neighbor if they need help
    Donate a book to your local school
    Clean up litter or clean up a river
    Adopt a soldier
    Donate any unused clothes
    Etc, etc ......

Thank you to those who already do a lot!
  • Options
    GirlLovesPJGirlLovesPJ New Jersey Posts: 1,034
    edited September 2012
    My head is spinning from reading all of these posts!!!!! Everyone has a different opinion, different demands, different expectations from the band! How can the band accomodate its entire fanbase (granted it wants to do so) if it's hard to keep up with this thread of just a few people??? :fp:

You can like them and appreciate their music and/or shows or you can move on to the next band, plain and simple. :D
    Post edited by GirlLovesPJ on
    2012: Philadelphia, Atlanta
    2013: Sao Paulo, Buenos Aires, Chicago, Worcester 1 & 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Philadelphia 1 & 2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Oslo, Gdynia, Leeds, Cincinnati, St. Paul, Milwaukee
    2015: New York City, Mexico City
    2016: Miami, Columbia, New York City 2, Quebec City, Chicago 2
    2018: Seattle 1 & 2, Boston 1 & 2
    2022: New York City 2, Camden
    2023: St. Paul 1 & 2, Chicago 2, Austin 1 & 2
  • Options
    RD171825 wrote:
    How about using the time to discover new music... non pj related music. There is so much music out there and so many bands. The new PJ record will come, just give it time.
    This is pretty much what I have done. I’m not going to diss on PJ or abandon them by any means; they have been my favorite band and have meant so much to me over all these years. I’ll never give up hope.

However in light of all this festival crap, predictable setlists, no proper tours, no new album, no Alpine boots etc, etc, etc, there is another band that has helped to ease the pain and pass the time, and that band is Phish. Give them a listen if you like them, they sound better than ever these days with their melt your face off style jamming. Plus, every bootleg is available and you can webcast some shows. I just webcasted the final 3 shows of their tour in CO and it was f-ing off the hook.
    "No time to be void and save up on life, you gotta spend it all"
  • Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    LiLiNY81 wrote:
    I'm used to waiting a long time for new albums with Metallica...so this really doesn't bother me. It'll come, don't worry.

So true - or try being a NIN fan - people waited from 1999's The Fragile to 2005 With Teeth, and before that, The Downward Spiral 1994. And Reznor, bravely, turned off the NIN machine and has continued to create interesting new things and collaborate with different people.

Situations and people change; they take breaks; maybe they're just not feeling new PJ music right now....
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 88,017
    JaneNY wrote:
    LiLiNY81 wrote:
    I'm used to waiting a long time for new albums with Metallica...so this really doesn't bother me. It'll come, don't worry.

So true - or try being a NIN fan - people waited from 1999's The Fragile to 2005 With Teeth, and before that, The Downward Spiral 1994. And Reznor, bravely, turned off the NIN machine and has continued to create interesting new things and collaborate with different people.

Situations and people change; they take breaks; maybe they're just not feeling new PJ music right now....

But that's a different story to Pearl Jam. NIN didn't play any show's in '01 - '04. http://db.etree.org/db/shows/browse/artist_key/838/ (maybe 1 or 2) unlike Pearl Jam's Backspacer record that was released in '09, the band has played each year since then. Maybe not grand tours like 72 show's a year but they were on the road in '10, '11 & '12.
  • Options
    smanchac1smanchac1 Posts: 2,256
    Everyone talking about how the setlists aren't diverse enough?

I saw 5 shows on the euro tour this summer. The stats were this

154 total songs
    71 unique pj songs
    15 covers

The most I got repeated were
    Alive - 5
    Betterman -3
    Black -3
    Corduroy - 5
    DTE - 5
    Elderly woman - 5
    Even flow - 5
    Fixer - 4
    GTF - 4
    Just breathe - 5

Then there are 66 pearl jam songs with a 1-2 next to them! So 9 songs being played a lot but 66 songs that were rare and or played only once the entire tour. Then I have 16 covers too, with only RITFW being played 3 times, others 1-2.

And people talk about wanting rare songs at shows or new songs..

I was in Seattle 9-21 and 9-22-09. Pearl jam played 8 songs that were new and off of backpacker, in Seattle of all places! And the place was DEAD. It was clear they weren't Intreated in new songs, they wanted their alive even flow and black..
    The second night they again played 6 backspaces songs, but threw In no way for the first time in over 11 years and a lot more older well known pj songs and the crowd seemed very happy.

So as much as the few on the board (the 1% overall) would be happy for a setlist packed full of rare songs... But the band and most people go to shows to hear songs they love, and the crowd interaction and singing is what hooked me in, not hearing a terrible version of sweet lew and black red yellow. The truth is those songs aren't played much because they aren't as good as the other songs. When's the last time you saw dont gimme no lip tearing up the charts?

Just because you want something doesn't mean it's what everyone else wants.

Does any one else remember the bitching about the fixer, got some, just breathe and the end being played all the time and that those songs suck? With all the whining about wanting a new album, I'm sure once it happens people will bitch about those songs being played and not whatever they wanted to hear

As far as touring, the band can do what it wants. It's like if you went from a normal person to a worldwide star because of a painting you did. Plus you get rich. Then for 20 years you keep painting for the fans.. But now your approaching 50, with 2 kids and a wife plus nearly 100 million dollars in your pocket. Answer honestly, would you want to keep painting everyday and touring to give it to fans? Or would you say I don't care what the fans think, I'm going to do this at my own pace. If they put out twice as many albums and toured non stop, can't you guys see they would hate or loathe doing it? I don't know anyone who wants to work more than they have to.

How many of you play Nintendo all day everyday like we might have 20 years ago? How many of you play sports for 20 years? How many have done anything for 20 years? If you have, can you please answer honestly that you want to continue to do whatever you've done for 20 years day in and day out and that your prioritys havent changed?

If you want to see the band so bad, go where they play. I realize they won't be around forever and I do that, travel for the shows. I've been to Canada and Europe seeing the band. If you want to go, go. Don't bitch because they aren't playing close enough to you. They played the south in 2003. It sucked. That's why they don't come back. They played ACL in 09. Compared to other shows in other areas. It sucked. Not for me. But compared to shows in the northeast ect...And by saying sucked I mean the crowd not the band.

I'm sick of all the bitching and whining on the board! I read everyday, stay up with news, have a huge collection of shows, I've seen 29 shows, and you know why? Because I love the music and don't expect them to do what I want them to. I realized back in 1994/1995 being 13 years old that they didn't play by the rules and that if I wanted to see this band it would be harder and more worth it to go and do it. They aren't every other band. If they were we wouldn't like them as much as we do. Please remember this before you complain and make yourself look childish and selfish.

Instead of bitching, how about talking about a song you like, a show you went to, a poster you like etc. yes we all want a tour and an album, but I will wait as long as it takes for a good album.

Make a list of all the 20 year old bands, see who's actually still a band, and compare actions. Pretty hard to do that. There aren't many like this band out there.. I wish we all could see that and appericiate that.

I understand if you disagree, we each have that right. But that's what I feel.
  • Options
    Bdog10Bdog10 Boca Posts: 471
    Nothing worse than a guy bitching about other people bitching. It's a public forum dude. People have every right to voice their opinions either if it's good or bad.
    "I want to go...but I don't want to go alone...With you I could never feel alone..."

Randall's Island 96 and haven't stopped since...
  • Options
    Bdog, but don't you see you're just bitching about someone else bitching about your bitching?

META!!!
    We can go on for an endless loop, ad infitum, doing this. So let's just stick to the point.
    It's a forum. We're allowed to disagree with your opinions, just as you're allowed to disagree with ours. Not saying you're flat out wrong, you can't have this viewpoint. We just happen to disagree, just like you clearly disagree with ours haha. Nowhere in smanchac's long post (which I do wholeheartedly agree with and think is extremely well put. Nice job.) does it say "shut up, you can't talk. Go away." It's just an opposing opinion. We're allowed to have them, and post about them just like you're allowed to post about yours. And we are posting them in a relevant environment too.

Or did you just want this to be only people of your same opinion posting?
  • Options
    boyo79boyo79 Warrington, UK Posts: 6,525
    Just to add from my last post....I think pearl jam isn't any rush to release a new album....When they can do all these festivals for a big pay day...Without having to release any new material.....I also think pearl jam will continue to do more festivals in the future.....

Makes sense to do a few festivals. PJ aren't tied to a label now who fund the album & tours. Might as well get a few festivals to fund this for them instead.
    2000: Manchester
    2006: Dublin; Leeds; Arnhem
    2007: London
    2009: Manchester
    2012: Manchester I & II : EV Manchester : Soundgarden Shepherds Bush
    2013: Brad Manchester : Soundgarden Manchester
    2014: Amsterdam I & II; Berlin; Leeds; Milton Keynes
    2018: Berlin; London II; Boston II

Bootleg Reviews: http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    smanchac1smanchac1 Posts: 2,256
    mtolan514 wrote:
    Bdog, but don't you see you're just bitching about someone else bitching about your bitching?

META!!!
    We can go on for an endless loop, ad infitum, doing this. So let's just stick to the point.
    It's a forum. We're allowed to disagree with your opinions, just as you're allowed to disagree with ours. Not saying you're flat out wrong, you can't have this viewpoint. We just happen to disagree, just like you clearly disagree with ours haha. Nowhere in smanchac's long post (which I do wholeheartedly agree with and think is extremely well put. Nice job.) does it say "shut up, you can't talk. Go away." It's just an opposing opinion. We're allowed to have them, and post about them just like you're allowed to post about yours. And we are posting them in a relevant environment too.

Thanks a lot. I was discouraged by the first reply until I realized its the guy who has been bitching the whole thread.

And me, bitching about bitching? Actually I was replying to all the complaining and trying to give honest answers and opinions, not bitch. We can all wish for a setlist of rare songs but it would only work at a fan club show not your everyday show. The majority of the crowd would be disappointed and confused.

If you've seen 45 shows and it's so boring, why keep going? You know their going to play all the songs your mad they keep playing... So why? I would like an honest answer there.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,653
    edited September 2012
    Really? Losing hope? That seems dramatic. ;)

I think it's pretty obvious that the guys all just need time to do their own thing. They've made it abundantly clear that them being able to step back, do their own thing, and then come together again when it feels right is how they stay together. That's what they're doing. Think of it as them being in the process of never breaking up... that means a new album! Yay!! They will finish it when they want to finish it. They want to create as good a product as they possibly can, and at the same time be successful and happy with all of the things they're working on and care about, and clearly, doing it on this schedule is the way they believe they'll achieve those things. I think it's awesome that they've come to know and understand themselves and each other enough to feel comfortable working on this schedule, despite pressure from impatient fans.

Also, I love their other projects. I love everything Jeff does and am stoked about RNDM, am so excited about the Soundgarden album, of course Ed's solo work is amazing, Mike is always super busy, movie soundtracks, Starr Anna, etc ... I don't like Brad - I only like a few songs, and hate the rest - but I'm glad Stone has something going on too.

And I agree with the others who said, wow, you are listening to too much PJ! Expand your horizons, and you won't be complaining about bootlegs sounding stale.

I can't wait for this album... but I've got TONS and TONS of Pearl Jam music to listen to in the meantime! :)
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    I'm just here for the witty banter.

Me too.

• Options
    davidos wrote:
    Just read that Brad is touring Europe in February... yippee (sarcasm)... I mean are these guys even a band anymore? RNDM? Corporate gig coming up... solo tours... Matt rejoining his old band... Ed joining Bruce in Chicago... BluRay fiasco... no Philly DVD... It's been 3(?) years since Backspacer.... do the guys hate each other now?

I KNOW they just came off a small tour in Europe and Jay Z and 2 more to come but it just feels like the guys can take the time out to fly all over the globe to do their random (RNDM) solo stuff but they can't get together to make an album or work more that 14 or so days with each other (shows)...?

The boots are starting to sound stale to me... same stuff over and over... Alive/Yellow Ledbetter.... RVM... Given to Fly... predictable

Just getting frustrated... I like some of the solo stuff but nothing compares to the band together... these guys can bang out songs in their solo groups in a matter of weeks but for some reason there is a problem getting together and making music... I just don't think they like each other any more...

Just my $.02...

Maybe you would prefer if they split up?

• Options
    Bdog10 wrote:
    SVRDhand13 wrote:
    Bdog10 wrote:
    The boots are starting to sound stale to me... same stuff over and over... Alive/Yellow Ledbetter.... RVM... Given to Fly... predictable

A "fucking" men!!

You have seen too many shows. Give up your membership and let the younger people get closer.

No I haven't... I've been to 45 shows and want to go see 45 more. But the bottom line is is that PJ is very predictable. OP is right. Don't flatter yourself
    So why don't you drop your membership and move on to another band?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    davidos wrote:
    JaneNY wrote:
    Look at it this way - are you doing the same thing, with the same people, that you were doing 20 years ago? Its pretty awesome that they still tour and create together at all. Patti Smith said that Neil Young told her that you don't go 'chasing songs', and that when the time is right it will happen. I believe Pearl Jam maybe respects Neil Young just a little, and I bet they've heard the same thing from him. It happens when it happens. People have to rejuvenate and challenge themselves in different ways. If they're not feeling it, they're not feeling it - you can't force creativity. Would you rather they put out something they're not happy with, simply to meet a deadline?

Neil Young has put out a new album every year or 2 since the early 70's and has put out 4 (FOUR) since 2009 including one due in October.

They are being creative... Just not with each other. These guys are musicians for a living for christsakes. They just don't like to do it with each other.

The sets are different every night but at this point there is no mystery anymore and too much predictability. A few b sides with the same easy crowd pleasers... Same songs end the main set. Slow songs in the 2nd set and Alive, rockin, yellow Ledbetter etc to end.
    They like to do their other projects, and they like working with each other. They have been doing PJ for 20 years. They need to step away sometimes. I don't blame them. Wtf. It's not a difficult concept.
  • Options
    mtolan514 wrote:

META!!!

Agreed that it can go on like an endless loop. It's just a viscous little cycle. Im frustrated with PJ because I
    care so much. They changed my life when I was in high school the first time I heard Ten. They were my world for 20 years...ask anybody who knows me. But I honestly feel like PJ is not in it anymore. I feel like they have checked out a few years ago IMO. I hit a ton of shows in 96, 98, 2000, and 2003 and it was magic in my eyes. They were on fire and their setlists were much more unique and different then they are now. With the exception of Philly and PJ20 and it has become stale to me. Again that is just how I feel. And I know that they are capable of playing so many different songs then they do now because I saw it first hand. Look at the encores from the 2010 run and the Canadien tour it's pretty much all the same exact for a little sprinkle here and there. That wasn't really the case back in the day and I MISS that. But on here I'm called a "spoiled" fan and that my comments on them being predictable is "ridiculous". Why? Because I said people were walking out during YL at PJ20? That wasn't a statement that was the truth! It felt like people were like oh no not this again. I have found a new love for now and it's refreshing to hear a band play 4 sold out shows at MSG and play a total of 95 songs without one repeat and that band is Phish! It's refreshing to get the boot an hour after the show and not wait months or even a year to get the PJ boots. Like I said I'm frustrated with how PJ are things these days. But they have every right to do what they want. They earned it and I respect that. It doesn't mean I have to agree with it though.
    "I want to go...but I don't want to go alone...With you I could never feel alone..."

• Options
    Sorry for the typos, on my phone and working at the same time.

• Options
    Bdog10 wrote:
    JTH wrote:
    Bdog10 wrote:
    Are you kidding me? I am pretty sure I will be able to nail 90 percent of their encore's.
    OK, seriously. Predict the setlist for Missoula. Not just the encores -- the entire show. Let's see how close you get.
    Bdog10 wrote:
    How awesome would it be if Alive was played once every forth or fifth show? Instead of every fucking night!!
    Honestly? That would suck. I fucking loved that song the first time I heard it back in 1992 and I still do today.

Obvoiusly you have never done a run with PJ. By the forth or fifth show I can guarantee you you will be sick of it. Did you go to PJ20? I was at the top of the lawn and when YL was playing, the place was emptying out like the show was over! Predictable!!
    Maybe it's not the best idea to go to that many shows in a row. :?
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    mca47 wrote:
    I haven't lost "hope". That said, I will agree with some other posts here. Pearl Jam IS the side project anymore.

I still think they are an awesome, awesome band....but the band itself has gotten quite stale. Live shows have different set lists, but every song from show to show is exactly the same, cookie cutter version of the one the night before. That wasn't really the case back in the day.
    To me, it seems like they are working for their paycheck. You go to work, you do a good job just to KEEP your job, collect your paycheck and go home.
    Sounds to me like they need a good long break then! And it sounds like a lot of you people posting here need a good break from PJ too. Nothing wrong with giving the PJ a rest if you're feeling bored of it. Seems like a no-brainer to me. I mean, listen to some of you... the bootlegs are getting stale because you've heard all of them so many times you don't even have to look at the radio to know exactly what show the song came from??? You are sick of some songs because you've seen them live 100 times??? UUMMMMM... GIVE PEARL JAM A BREAK AND LISTEN TO SOMETHING ELSE!! You don't have to abandon them or stop loving them... just take a loOOOOng vacation from them. And when you come back, things will seem fresh again.

PS - I cannot believe I just read that someone thinks they are basically like KISS when it comes to merchandising. :fp: :fp: Fuck, someone find me a Pearl Jam lunch box!!!! I want that fucker BAD!!! :lol:
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    So why don't you drop your membership and move on to another band?

Nah, think I'll hold on to it.

• Options
    vant0037vant0037 Posts: 6,076
    davidos wrote:
    Just read that Brad is touring Europe in February... yippee (sarcasm)... I mean are these guys even a band anymore? RNDM? Corporate gig coming up... solo tours... Matt rejoining his old band... Ed joining Bruce in Chicago... BluRay fiasco... no Philly DVD... It's been 3(?) years since Backspacer.... do the guys hate each other now?

I KNOW they just came off a small tour in Europe and Jay Z and 2 more to come but it just feels like the guys can take the time out to fly all over the globe to do their random (RNDM) solo stuff but they can't get together to make an album or work more that 14 or so days with each other (shows)...?

Just getting frustrated... I like some of the solo stuff but nothing compares to the band together... these guys can bang out songs in their solo groups in a matter of weeks but for some reason there is a problem getting together and making music... I just don't think they like each other any more...

Just my $.02...

I don't understand how half of what you're complaining about has anything to do with whether a new album will come out or not. What does the "blu-ray fiasco" (if you can something being expressly limited, a "fiasco") have to do with whether a new album will come out? The Philly DVD? Was there ever one? What are you even complaining about?

:roll:
    1998-06-30 Minneapolis
    2003-06-16 St. Paul
    2006-06-26 St. Paul
    2007-08-05 Chicago
    2009-08-23 Chicago
    2009-08-28 San Francisco
    2010-05-01 NOLA (Jazz Fest)
    2011-07-02 EV Minneapolis
    2011-09-03 PJ20
    2011-09-04 PJ20
    2011-09-17 Winnipeg
    2012-06-26 Amsterdam
    2012-06-27 Amsterdam
    2013-07-19 Wrigley
    2013-11-21 San Diego
    2013-11-23 Los Angeles
    2013-11-24 Los Angeles
    2014-07-08 Leeds, UK
    2014-07-11 Milton Keynes, UK
    2014-10-09 Lincoln
    2014-10-19 St. Paul
    2014-10-20 Milwaukee
    2016-08-20 Wrigley 1
    2016-08-22 Wrigley 2
    2018-06-18 London 1
    2018-08-18 Wrigley 1
    2018-08-20 Wrigley 2
    2022-09-16 Nashville
    2023-08-31 St. Paul
    2023-09-02 St. Paul
    2023-09-05 Chicago 1
  • Options
    There are few bands comparable to PJ over the past 20 years. People often forget Bruce Springsteen ditched the E Street Band for nearly all of the 1990's after about 15 years with the lineup he had from his first 2 albums, then "Born to Run," through "Born In the USA." Even since they got back together in 1998/99, Bruce has done albums like "Ghost of Tom Joad" or "Devils and Dust" on tour without his band, people even booed him at a Beacon Theatre show in NYC on one of those tours, maybe because they had some sort of expectation similar to what has started to happen with PJ.

Would you rather the band break up for 10 years and then come back to play 3 1/2 hour shows every night in 2022? It seems like a lot of people confuse what the band actually is with their personal vision or expectation of what the band should be. They could pack it in and leave behind a great musical legacy right now, and most here would continue to buy reissues, fan club singles, merch, and go to solo/side project shows in hopes of hearing an occasional PJ song. Fortunately, they've held it together over the past 20 years and made very few compromises. They can play whatever they want, wherever/how often they want, and record an album at whatever pace they want. If fans chose to stop showing up at their shows, maybe then they might be obligated to listen to what we have to say, but based on their success, I would say they have every right to keep doing what they're doing however they see fit, because it's working.

I would rather an album they took their time on rather than something they rushed to put out, and by that time they'll be ready to tour the hell out of it :D
    "I'm a lucky man to count on both hands the ones I love."

Continental Arena I - 6/1/2006
    MSG II - 6/25/2008
    MSG I - 5/20/2010
    Beacon Theatre - 6/21/2011 (EV)
    Made In America Philadelphia - 9/2/2012
    Buffalo -10/12/2013
    Hartford - 10/25/2013
    Philadelphia II - 4/29/2016 (TEN show)
    MSG II - 5/2/2016
    Fenway II Boston - 8/7/2016
    Rock & Roll HOF - 4/7/2017
    Asbury Park, NJ - 9/18/2021
    MSG - 9/11/2022
    Camden - 9/14/2022
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    boyo79 wrote:

Me too.

and the free cake! :lol:
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    There are few bands comparable to PJ over the past 20 years. People often forget Bruce Springsteen ditched the E Street Band for nearly all of the 1990's after about 15 years with the lineup he had from his first 2 albums, then "Born to Run," through "Born In the USA." Even since they got back together in 1998/99, Bruce has done albums like "Ghost of Tom Joad" or "Devils and Dust" on tour without his band, people even booed him at a Beacon Theatre show in NYC on one of those tours, maybe because they had some sort of expectation similar to what has started to happen with PJ.

Would you rather the band break up for 10 years and then come back to play 3 1/2 hour shows every night in 2022? It seems like a lot of people confuse what the band actually is with their personal vision or expectation of what the band should be. They could pack it in and leave behind a great musical legacy right now, and most here would continue to buy reissues, fan club singles, merch, and go to solo/side project shows in hopes of hearing an occasional PJ song. Fortunately, they've held it together over the past 20 years and made very few compromises. They can play whatever they want, wherever/how often they want, and record an album at whatever pace they want. If fans chose to stop showing up at their shows, maybe then they might be obligated to listen to what we have to say, but based on their success, I would say they have every right to keep doing what they're doing however they see fit, because it's working.

I would rather an album they took their time on rather than something they rushed to put out, and by that time they'll be ready to tour the hell out of it :D
    :clap:
  • Options
    Bdog10 wrote:
    mtolan514 wrote:

META!!!

Agreed that it can go on like an endless loop. It's just a viscous little cycle. Im frustrated with PJ because I
    care so much. They changed my life when I was in high school the first time I heard Ten. They were my world for 20 years...ask anybody who knows me. But I honestly feel like PJ is not in it anymore. I feel like they have checked out a few years ago IMO. I hit a ton of shows in 96, 98, 2000, and 2003 and it was magic in my eyes. They were on fire and their setlists were much more unique and different then they are now. With the exception of Philly and PJ20 and it has become stale to me. Again that is just how I feel. And I know that they are capable of playing so many different songs then they do now because I saw it first hand. Look at the encores from the 2010 run and the Canadien tour it's pretty much all the same exact for a little sprinkle here and there. That wasn't really the case back in the day and I MISS that. But on here I'm called a "spoiled" fan and that my comments on them being predictable is "ridiculous". Why? Because I said people were walking out during YL at PJ20? That wasn't a statement that was the truth! It felt like people were like oh no not this again. I have found a new love for now and it's refreshing to hear a band play 4 sold out shows at MSG and play a total of 95 songs without one repeat and that band is Phish! It's refreshing to get the boot an hour after the show and not wait months or even a year to get the PJ boots. Like I said I'm frustrated with how PJ are things these days. But they have every right to do what they want. They earned it and I respect that. It doesn't mean I have to agree with it though.

Understood. :)
    Totally respect the frustration and whatnot.
    Just keep in mind that you, along with the band, might've changed too! I'd imagine that even going from 2003 to 2012 you've changed a lot. I'm 20 now, and I sure am different than I was when I was 13 :lol:
  • Options
    mfc2006 wrote:
    boyo79 wrote:

Me too.

and the free cake! :lol:

There was free cake?! Damn, I joined the thread too late!! :lol::lol::lol:

• Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,903
    3 random thoughts:

1. I forgot this thread was about the album title and not about setlists :lol:

2. I can't hate on a band that has given me 11 different opening songs in 11 different shows (and you would think YL closed almost all of those shows- but it only closed 5 of the 11)

3. Honestly, what other bands besides "jam" bands and Bruce differentiate their show as much as PJ? I would love to know (whether it be classic rock, alternative, indie, etc)
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17