Options

Losing Hope for New Album... Really

Comments

• Options
    JTHJTH Chicago Posts: 3,238
    Bdog10 wrote:
    Look I'm sorry if I am getting under any one's skin here. It's just that I love this band so much but they are becoming very predictable which drives me nuts. I don't for the life of me understand why anyone would want to hear the same song every night when there are SO MANY to choose from. I'm sorry but that is lazy to me. And for the people who say that PJ mixes up their setlists much more than any other band... umm you need to get out more!
    I won't speak for anyone else here, but you aren't under my skin. I'm genuinely curious how close you can come to guessing the setlist for Missoula.

And I honestly believe if I went to 50 shows 50 nights in a row, I'd still be happy to hear them play "Alive."
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    Bdog10 wrote:

You weren't on the top of the lawn were you? Why would I make that shit up?

relax, man. i'm not saying that you made it up. i was at the bottom of the lawn on night 2, for the record.

all i said was that i didn't notice it. yikes....
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    Bdog10 wrote:
    Look I'm sorry if I am getting under any one's skin here. It's just that I love this band so much but they are becoming very predictable which drives me nuts. I don't for the life of me understand why anyone would want to hear the same song every night when there are SO MANY to choose from. I'm sorry but that is lazy to me. And for the people who say that PJ mixes up their setlists much more than any other band... umm you need to get out more!

They really do mix up their setlists more than most. You definitely have to give them credit for the changes they do make.
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • Options
    Bdog10Bdog10 Boca Posts: 471
    JTH wrote:
    Bdog10 wrote:
    I won't speak for anyone else here, but you aren't under my skin. I'm genuinely curious how close you can come to guessing the setlist for Missoula.

And I honestly believe if I went to 50 shows 50 nights in a row, I'd still be happy to hear them play "Alive."

I used to tell myself that until I saw first hand. Get's old dude!
    "I want to go...but I don't want to go alone...With you I could never feel alone..."

Randall's Island 96 and haven't stopped since...
  • Options
    mfc2006 wrote:
    Bdog10 wrote:

relax, man. i'm not saying that you made it up. i was at the bottom of the lawn on night 2, for the record.

Hundreds of people were leaving. Predictable and old!
    "I want to go...but I don't want to go alone...With you I could never feel alone..."

• Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    Bdog10 wrote:
    mfc2006 wrote:
    Bdog10 wrote:

well, that's their choice. i'd like them to mix up the closing song a bit more, but i'm not in the band...so i don't really get a say in that.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    Better Dan wrote:
    Bdog10 wrote:

They really do mix up their setlists more than most. You definitely have to give them credit for the changes they do make.

MMJ just played 3 night in a row no repeats... name me the last time PJ did that?

• Options
    Bdog10 wrote:
    mfc2006 wrote:
    Bdog10 wrote:

Maybe they had just been to Alpine before and knew how much of hassle it is to get out of there and were trying to beat the traffic? People leave early from concerts all the time.
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • Options
    Bdog10 wrote:
    Better Dan wrote:
    Bdog10 wrote:

MMJ just played 3 night in a row no repeats... name me the last time PJ did that?

2003. Boston. 1 repeat. MMJ also played the same city 3 nights in a row. When's the last time ANY other band has done that and how many bands?
  • Options
    Hundreds of people were leaving. Predictable and old![/quote]

Maybe they had just been to Alpine before and knew how much of hassle it is to get out of there and were trying to beat the traffic? People leave early from concerts all the time.[/quote]

Excuses Excuses!

• Options
    They really do mix up their setlists more than most. You definitely have to give them credit for the changes they do make.[/quote]

MMJ just played 3 night in a row no repeats... name me the last time PJ did that?[/quote

2003. Boston. 1 repeat. MMJ also played the same city 3 nights in a row. When's the last time ANY other band has done that and how many bands?[/quote]

There was like 3 or 4 shows in between the third Boston show. You can't go on that. When I go see PJ at MSG in 08 and there are 11 repeats at night 2... Cmon really

• Options
    Bdog10 wrote:

MMJ just played 3 night in a row no repeats... name me the last time PJ did that?[/quote

2003. Boston. 1 repeat. MMJ also played the same city 3 nights in a row. When's the last time ANY other band has done that and how many bands?[/quote]

There was like 3 or 4 shows in between the third Boston show. You can't go on that. When I go see PJ at MSG in 08 and there are 11 repeats at night 2... Cmon really[/quote]

That's still less than half the show right? I generally agree with what you're saying..I don't think they mix it up all THAT much..but they do still mix it up quite a bit compared to many other bands. I think if less than half the show consists of repeats from the previous night, or even half, that's still pretty good. We still need some more No Code, Binaural, and Riot Act at shows..and different songs from the other albums every so often.
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,846
    Bdog10 wrote:

There was like 3 or 4 shows in between the third Boston show. You can't go on that. When I go see PJ at MSG in 08 and there are 11 repeats at night 2... Cmon really[/quote]

MSG 2010- 66 total songs with 6 repeats. 60 songs total (quick counts). Not as good as MMJ but not too shabby.

I'm very happy that I'm not bored with their setlists and don't think I ever will be :)
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR A SINGLE TICKET TO MSG NIGHT 2

• Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,846
    Speaking of MMJ....

Victory Dance --> Circuital
    Touch Me part 2 --> Smokin From Shootin
    Dondante --> Run Thru
    One Big Holiday to close the show

Look familiar?
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR A SINGLE TICKET TO MSG NIGHT 2

• Options
    "I just don't think they like each other"?....... :nono: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bteY_fs3 ... ata_player NANS!!!!
  • Options
    not losing hope at all. i honestly believe that if ed didn't get injured the album would be in pre-production now.

but he had to push his tour to november and with all the other stuff going on it makes it hard for them to find time to put something together. these are proud dudes, they're no just gonna throw some filler out there and call it an album....especially not after backspacer (which has a few really good songs, but let's not kid ourselves)

and bdog...i've seen them 32 more times than you and alive doesn't get old. corduroy maybe...

and ledbetter....have a heart, that's the band's kiss goodnight to us.......appreciate it
    i have a paper here that entitles me to fast track status
  • Options
    A techno instrumental drone album maybe w/ Ed reciting some Newt Gingrich Im fired up :clap::clap::clap: :wave:
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,254
    I haven't lost "hope". That said, I will agree with some other posts here. Pearl Jam IS the side project anymore.

I still think they are an awesome, awesome band....but the band itself has gotten quite stale. Live shows have different set lists, but every song from show to show is exactly the same, cookie cutter version of the one the night before. That wasn't really the case back in the day.
    To me, it seems like they are working for their paycheck. You go to work, you do a good job just to KEEP your job, collect your paycheck and go home.
  • Options
    dlymnfld wrote:
    RD171825 wrote:
    How about using the time to discover new music... non pj related music. There is so much music out there and so many bands. The new PJ record will come, just give it time.

^^^^^^^^
    Chad Stokes from Dispatch and State Radio just put out a new album for both bands. Check them out, you won't be disappointed. He also put just put out a solo album.
    ^^^Listen to this dude! ^^^

Chadwick is a genius...check all of the above out, especially State Radio :D
  • Options
    dlymnflddlymnfld CT Posts: 917
    dlymnfld wrote:
    RD171825 wrote:
    How about using the time to discover new music... non pj related music. There is so much music out there and so many bands. The new PJ record will come, just give it time.

^^^^^^^^
    Chad Stokes from Dispatch and State Radio just put out a new album for both bands. Check them out, you won't be disappointed. He also put just put out a solo album.
    ^^^Listen to this dude! ^^^

Chadwick is a genius...check all of the above out, especially State Radio :D

I like where your head is at. Chad is amazing. He also just re-released Simmerkane 1 with all three Sybil songs on it. You can download it for free. PJ is awesome and clearly my favorite band. But there is so much other great music out there. We should all just enjoy it and let them all play what they want.
    Springfield 4/6/94, Boston 4/6/94, Hartford 10/2/96, New York 9/11/98, Hartford 9/13/98, Mansfield 8/30/00, Boston 9/28/04, Reading 10/1/04, Quebec City 9/20/05, Boston 5/24/06, Hartford 5/13/06, New York 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08 Philadelphia 10/31/09, Hartford 10/15/10,
    Boston 10/17/10, East Troy 9/3/11, East Troy 9/4/11, Missoula 9/30/12, Worcester 10/15/13, Hartford 10/25/13, Charlottesville 10/29/13,
    St. Paul 10/19/14, New York 9/26/15, Quebec City 5/5/16, Boston 8/5/16, Boston 9/2/18, Boston 9/4/18, Quebec City 9/1/22, Camden 9/14/22, Oklahoma City 9/20/22 
  • Options
    I just hate how in interviews from Avocado and Backspacer they talked about how much leftovers they had and the possibilities of releasing another album 6 months later.. And here we are, three years later with no word.

I still love them, but am not as interested as when they released an album every other year, 91, 93, 94, 96, 98, 00, 02.....06..... end of 09........?????
  • Options
    I just hate how in interviews from Avocado and Backspacer they talked about how much leftovers they had and the possibilities of releasing another album 6 months later.. And here we are, three years later with no word.

I still love them, but am not as interested as when they released an album every other year, 91, 93, 94, 96, 98, 00, 02.....06..... end of 09........?????

Yeah, wish they would release an EP or something from those leftovers like Mike had alluded to in the past. Maybe they don't feel that material is strong enough or are holding it for a future Lost Dogs type of release.
  • Options
    mca47 wrote:
    I still think they are an awesome, awesome band....but the band itself has gotten quite stale. Live shows have different set lists, but every song from show to show is exactly the same, cookie cutter version of the one the night before. That wasn't really the case back in the day.

This is why I don't get excited for bootlegs anymore. I love being at the shows but I know 90% of each bootleg is going to sound the same as hundreds of other shows. They aren't Springsteen who re-works just about every song for each tour it seems like. I would like to see PJ re-work some songs. If that means we only get 70 songs a tour instead of 100 different songs, I'm fine with that. What I last read was that they don't even rehearse for their tours. Stone said something to the effect that they use the soundcheck for the more obscure songs and then trust that they know the regular songs when they come up in the set each night.

I love the shows and the band has a lot of energy, but they don't seem to be trying to push themselves forward. I'm new to Springsteen (in the last 6 years), but this guy is amazing and I know not everyone can play 3.5 hours a night, but a lot of bands can learn from him when it comes to taking chances and risks.
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,283
    I was at both Manchester shows in June and there were only 4 repeats over the 2 nights. 52 songs in total, 48 different songs over two 2.5 hour shows. That is not exactly what I would call predictable and I would never say that have become stale!

Yes, they played Alive, Even Flow and Betterman both nights but, guess what, some of us LOVE those songs. I will never get tired of Alive, I have loved that song for over 20 years and I always will, especially live.

They also only repeated 2 songs at the Amsterdam shows, 51 different songs over 2 nights. Granted, one of those sets was chosen by a fan but surely that's an example of them changing things up? The minute they stop playing the 'same old songs' is when this place gets flooded with "I can't believe they didn't play____ " threads.

As for the new album, I'm happy to wait until they're ready. We have to remember that they have responsibilities to their families, they're not the same kids that they were in the 90s that could tour and record whenever and wherever. Who can blame them for wanting to spend time with their kids?

There's plenty of other great music out there and that includes Brad, Tres Mts, RNDM and most of the other side projects. If people have lost hope then that's a shame for them.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    edited September 2012
    Better Dan wrote:

Yeah, wish they would release an EP or something from those leftovers like Mike had alluded to in the past. Maybe they don't feel that material is strong enough or are holding it for a future Lost Dogs type of release.
    They talked about being reborn during Avocado... If that were the case, Backspacer should have been 08, and we should already have another two albums by now, with maybe a longer break after.. But only 2 albums since 10 years ago? :fp:

They don't need to play every song, but work more with new music and revisit older material as if it were new again..
    Post edited by LikeAnOcean on
  • Options
    Pearl Jam is my favorite band always will be...But, I think pearl jam's best albums are behind them....I just don't see them releasing another rocking album out in the future...Riot Act was pearl jam's last best album {IMO}......Avacodo and Backspacer have some good songs on them...Don't get me wrong....But, I think they aren't close to being pearl jam's best albums.....With pearl jam being on its on record label....I think that makes difference....I think we will continue to get more pop tracks from pearl jam....
  • Options
    Bdog10 wrote:
    And for the people who say that PJ mixes up their setlists much more than any other band... umm you need to get out more!
    Ok then name 15 artists who mix up their set more than PJ does

Look, I want new material just as much as anyone else. But the statement of yours that I quoted - saying that people need to "get out more" for stating PJ simply changes up their set quite a bit - makes zero rational sense
  • Options
    Just to add from my last post....I think pearl jam isn't any rush to release a new album....When they can do all these festivals for a big pay day...Without having to release any new material.....I also think pearl jam will continue to do more festivals in the future.....
  • Options
    I think pearl jam is better than ever as far as live in concert....But, as we all can see the touring is starting to slow down with each year that goes by...
  • Options
    dugangsxrdugangsxr Covington KY Posts: 674
    Why make a new album when they can sell lumber jack flannels for $100.00!!! Think about it!
    Paul D.