Options

Losing Hope for New Album... Really

Comments

• Options
    Bdog10 wrote:
    JTH wrote:
    Bdog10 wrote:
    Are you kidding me? I am pretty sure I will be able to nail 90 percent of their encore's.
    OK, seriously. Predict the setlist for Missoula. Not just the encores -- the entire show. Let's see how close you get.
    Bdog10 wrote:
    How awesome would it be if Alive was played once every forth or fifth show? Instead of every fucking night!!
    Honestly? That would suck. I fucking loved that song the first time I heard it back in 1992 and I still do today.

Obvoiusly you have never done a run with PJ. By the forth or fifth show I can guarantee you you will be sick of it. Did you go to PJ20? I was at the top of the lawn and when YL was playing, the place was emptying out like the show was over! Predictable!!

You are the definition of a spoiled fan. Someone says they arent predictable and then you have the nerve to say they are becaue yoou've "ONLY" seen them 45 times?! Are you fucking out of your mind??!! (you are). No fucking shit a band is going to get a little repetitive after that many shows. Why dont you spend your time seeing other bands. Since PJ is obviously not doing it for you anymore.

I've been turned off by PJ recently with their lack of touring and lack of info being spread, but what you said is just ridiculous.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    KingJeremyDKingJeremyD Posts: 2,313
    edited September 2012
    dugangsxr wrote:
    Why make a new album when they can sell lumber jack flannels for $100.00!!! Think about it!

It does makes sense... I don't think pearl jam makes a lot money off albums sales these days...Don't get me wrong....I am greatful for the 10c...But, it seems like the 10c is worried more about selling merchandise...Than taking care of its fan club members..

And yes I am going to renew my fan club memberhsip
    Post edited by KingJeremyD on
  • Options
    OLE!
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,255
    mca47 wrote:
    I still think they are an awesome, awesome band....but the band itself has gotten quite stale. Live shows have different set lists, but every song from show to show is exactly the same, cookie cutter version of the one the night before. That wasn't really the case back in the day.

This is why I don't get excited for bootlegs anymore. I love being at the shows but I know 90% of each bootleg is going to sound the same as hundreds of other shows. They aren't Springsteen who re-works just about every song for each tour it seems like. I would like to see PJ re-work some songs. If that means we only get 70 songs a tour instead of 100 different songs, I'm fine with that. What I last read was that they don't even rehearse for their tours. Stone said something to the effect that they use the soundcheck for the more obscure songs and then trust that they know the regular songs when they come up in the set each night.

I love the shows and the band has a lot of energy, but they don't seem to be trying to push themselves forward. I'm new to Springsteen (in the last 6 years), but this guy is amazing and I know not everyone can play 3.5 hours a night, but a lot of bands can learn from him when it comes to taking chances and risks.
    Yeah, I haven't purchased a bootleg since 2003.
    I listen to PJ Radio in my car on XM. When there is a live song being played from some random boot, I don't even have to look at the radio to see what year it was from. Cordouroy sounds EXACTLY the same at any point past 2000. The same can be said for any of their "classic" songs. How I can nail down the date is how Ed sings it/his voice.
    I'm a huge Bruce fan and I agree. PJ used to do this kinda thing back in the mid to late 90s. They'd mix up and change their own songs to keep them somewhat interesting. Now it's like "let's cram as many songs in 2-2.5 hours we can and go home! Oh, let's play them extra fast without any passion or feeling too!". Kinda sad.
    Again, I think PJ is still one of the best bands out there, but I've really found myself less interested in their direction over the last 6-7 years.
  • Options
    dwhite76dwhite76 Posts: 2,801
    What we need to do is picket the 10 club head quarters untill the band gets there ass in the studio and lay down some tracks.

Who's with me :lol:
    Some words when spoken...Can't be taken back...
  • Options
    JTH wrote:
    Bdog10 wrote:
    Obvoiusly you have never done a run with PJ. By the forth or fifth show I can guarantee you you will be sick of it. Did you go to PJ20? I was at the top of the lawn and when YL was playing, the place was emptying out like the show was over! Predictable!!
    Yes, I was there.

We're still waiting for your predictions. Stop stalling.

Ill give it a shot :D;) i know it wont be in order but lets see if I get over 75% right or played. ill pick 26 songs.

1 Alive
    2. Elderly Woman
    3. Evolution
    4. Betterman
    5. Got Some
    6. given To Fly
    7. Courduroy
    8. Porch
    9. daughter
    10. Black
    11. UNTHOUGHT KNOWN
    12. Not For You
    13. The Fixer
    14. Rearviw mirror
    15. Once
    16.Faithful
    17.Down
    18.Crazy Marry
    19. Hail,Hail
    20. wishlist
    21. Unemployable
    22. Amongst the waves
    23. BROTHER :D
    24. MOTHER :D
    25.Yellow Ledbetter
    26. Evenflow :lol:

yup that looks about right. ;)
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    im not a musician,i dont know how is it to create music,and how feels like writing songs..
    its theirs thing,they are artist..i dont think there was a deadline how time needs to make a new album..
    and as it seems its very important for their career their side products..they need them,so we have to wait to do this things too...
    important for me is they still continue to make music and play shows..

as for the setlist,its funny conversation....pj20 night 1 is the biggest proof that we dont have a clue what gonna happen in the show..dont have to mention Amsterdam 2 that a fan made the setlist..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    im not a musician,i dont know how is it to create music,and how feels like writing songs..
    its theirs thing,they are artist..i dont think there was a deadline how time needs to make a new album..
    and as it seems its very important for their career their side products..they need them,so we have to wait to do this things too...
    important for me is they still continue to make music and play shows..

as for the setlist,its funny conversation....pj20 night 1 is the biggest proof that we dont have a clue what gonna happen in the show..dont have to mention Amsterdam 2 that a fan made the setlist..

+ me - especially the 'continue to make music and play shows' part
  • Options
    ceskaceska New York Posts: 1,076
    The band, like many bands, plays certain songs (yeah, maybe 4 or 5 of them! Out of 25-28!) night after night because they know that there are thousands of people in the crowd who have never seen them before or have not seen them in a long time. There are many more casual fans at the shows than there are setlist geeks here on the forum. And they are just as worthy when it comes to song selection.
  • Options
    ceska wrote:
    The band, like many bands, plays certain songs (yeah, maybe 4 or 5 of them! Out of 25-28!) night after night because they know that there are thousands of people in the crowd who have never seen them before or have not seen them in a long time. There are many more casual fans at the shows than there are setlist geeks here on the forum. And they are just as worthy when it comes to song selection.

UMMMM..... Dont you know that we are entitled. to what I havent figured that out but from the way every one posts on here im sure we feel entitled :lol:

The point is Yes play the 5 songs for those "die hard fans" that only know EF, Alive, Jeremy, All us entitled people just ask change up the other 20 songs. those that only know the fan favs wont know the other songs no matter what it is.

I also think you underestimate who goes to the shows. At PJ20 I asked these 2 15 & 16 year old girls what they wanted to hear. I was expecting them to say Alive, Betterman or some thing like that they busted out saying Education and In The Moonlight. I told her there was a small chance for Education and none for In The Moonlight. Boy I was wrong.

The best part, By some magic they ended up sitting the row in front of me and when those songs busted out they went NUTS. It was so great to see what music can do for some kids. Never mind what it does for us. I think we forget that at times. :D
  • Options
    KathiKathi Posts: 1,828
    ceska wrote:

good point. I may not like it (actually, I don't like it at all) but that's the argument the Foos always make against mixing up their setlist a lot. there'll be a lot of casual fans out there who just go to see one show, and want to hear what they know. maybe the live experience can even draw them in and make them actual fans.

I personally think PJ does a pretty good split of "hits" and other songs. And as for not enjoying themselves and rushing through everything, having experienced the latest euro tour, I had no such impression at all...on the contrary. and I can't say I've had a bored moment in 10 shows.
  • Options
    I totally get what people are saying about the relative repetitiveness of the shows--it seems like from show to show, versions are similar, songs are similar, etc...but it's all so relative. Most bands never even come close to what PJ's doing. The fact that just a few months ago they asked a fan to create a setlist shows how willing and dedicated they are to keeping things fresh and interesting. Doesn't it seem a bit funny to you that this is going on when the band just did a completely new version of "Bugs" (only the 2nd time played ever) into "Betterman"? Or that you complain about them playing songs too slow when this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Rku-pXi5h8 was played extremely recently? Or that during PJ20 they played fucking "In the Moonlight"? This isn't a band just going through the motions.

Of course you're going to get the band playing really similar songs every time. Mainly because not everyone has seen the band 45 times--sorry, you're lucky. I've seen them 3 times, and I consider that something special and I'd kill to see them play "Evenflow" or "Alive" or "Yellow Ledbetter" again and again. Some people are seeing the band for the first time, and they want to hear those songs. When they hear those songs in concert, they come back excited (rather than confused with a setlist of wtf sons), and they want to pursue the band even further. They want to know the songs they didn't know. They want to know the songs they missed, they didn't understand the first time so when they seem them again, they can be prepared. This is what keeps the band's fanbase young and fresh. I only say this because this is exactly my experience after I saw the band for the first time in 2010.

The energy that they inject into their performances too...my god. Can you imagine singing "Alive" like it's the last thing you'll ever do for 800-odd times? They're trying to tear down the barrier between fan and band, and they do that almost every single goddamn night. They make a stadium show feel like a club.

As a wise man once said...
    Dave Grohl wrote:
    "I write big choruses, because I want to hear 80,000 people sing [along with the song] for 80,000 different reasons," he says. "It's important to me that people feel connected to the band through the music, you know? I don't want it to be wallpaper. I don't want it to be background music. I want it to be clear: This is the song. These are the words. If you feel the same way as I do, sing it as loud as you can."
  • Options
    YLed2YLed2 Des Moines, IA Posts: 5,534
    In terms of of the set list and mixing it up - I kind of think that is a ridiculous statement.

Does anyone remember Night 1 at Alpine or the Philly shows in 2009? Of course they're going to play a maybe string of maybe 3-4 songs at every show.

And of course, there were still plenty of people bitching about the set list from Night 1 at Alpine because of the obscurity.
    Bristow, VA - 5.13.10
    East Troy, WI - 9.3.11
    East Troy, WI - 9.4.11
    Atlanta, GA - 9.22.12
    Las Vegas, NV - 10.31.12 (EV)
    Las Vegas, NV - 11.1.12 (EV)
    Chicago, IL - 7.19.13
    Dallas, TX - 11.15.13
    Oklahoma City, OK - 11.16.13
    Seattle, WA - 12.6.13
    Lincoln, NE - 10.9.14
    Moline, IL - 10.17.14
    St. Paul, MN - 10.19.14
    Milwaukee, WI - 10.20.14
    New York, NY - 5.1.16
    New York, NY - 5.2.16
    Boston, MA - 8.5.16
    Boston, MA - 8.7.16
    Chicago, IL - 8.20.16

• Options
    I don't think they can do anything else with their set-lists until they make a new album. To please the 10c fans right now they would have to play lost dogs from front to back. Between 98 and 06 is where they got the reputation for having unpredictable setlists. Starting from 98 where they had the least songs (out of what they have recorded) in their rotation. gradually they kept bringing back more and more.. eg.

why go in 03
    leash and rats in 06. etc etc

I remember getting really excited when they first played rats again. Its just another song on the setlist in 2012. They have basically played every song now. In the moonlight was one of the last songs to do. Even bugs has been done several times. There isn't anything that pearl jam can do besides expand on current songs and rework them which would be great but Ive noticed previous reworked songs have not been received too well in the past. (in my tree, alone, even flow drum solo) I guess they could play the songs in a different order and close with ghost instead of yellow ledbetter... but really, i think they do a good job with their live show. Seems they found the formula with 06 tour and kept it. I think after the new album the shows will have a different feel compared to the 09 -12 run.
    ...The Moon is Rollin' Round....
  • Options
    Agree with mtolan514 ...

An awful lot of people on here giving PJ shit because the album is taking too long, that the setlists are all the same...yet your complaints are based on the fact that you are sitting around waiting on the same band that you have been waiting on for 20 years. Maybe it is you that needs to move on to something new, something fresh..and then come back to your Pearl Jam collection. I have a number of bootlegs, probably too many. But if you want to have a copy of every concert from the same band expect repetition. If you travel around following them from country to country - again expection repetition. I live in Australia and will generally see as many shows as I can when they tour down here and would love to see them overseas one day...but I'm buggered if I would travel to a new country, stand among new people and complain because I was hearing songs I had heard before at a previous show. Pearl Jam play long set lists, give it their all and do mix it up. I saw them in Sydney in 2003 and went with a group of people that had never seen them before and who wanted to hear Betterman, Alive, Black, Given to Fly and they got none of them. The next night with one of my mates we got all 4 of them. You are never going to please everyone and I think PJ get it closer than any other band when it comes to mixing it up.

I suggest going a few weeks without listening to PJ. Try even a couple of months. Then revisit them and enjoy the albums/bootlegs even more. If you find yourself logging into this website everyday expecting good news in terms of a new album, chances are you'll continue to get pissed...don't keep putting yourself through it.
    BIG DAY OUT SYDNEY FAIRGROUNDS, SYDNEY, AU, Sun 26 January, 2014 BIG DAY OUT FLEMINGTON RACECOURSE, MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA, Fri 24 January, 2014 Eddie Vedder Solo, Civic Theatre, NEWCASTLE, AUSTRALIA, Wednesday 16th March Eddie Vedder Solo, STATE THEATRE, SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA, Friday 18th March & Saturday 19th March ETIHAD STADIUM, MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA, Fri 20 November, 2009 NEWCASTLE ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE, NEWCASTLE, AUSTRALIA, Sun 19 November, 2006 ACER ARENA, SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA, Tues 7, Wed 8 & Sat 18 November, 2006 SYDNEY ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE, SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA, Tue 11, Thu 13 & Fri 14 February, 2003 SYDNEY ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE, SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA, Mon 9, Wed 11 & Thu 12 March, 1998
  • Options
    Pry ToPry To Posts: 285
    I love Pearl Jam (no, really) but:

1. These guys tour ALL THE TIME. They’re constantly on the road. They just don’t tour together as Pearl Jam. That pretty much says it all.

2. They have basically become KISS in terms of merchandising. This is a big turn off for me personally. They put out a lot more “product” than they do music, that’s for sure.

3. I saw six Euro shows this summer. I enjoyed them, but there was no point in seeing that many. Two would have been enough to see most of the band’s repertoire. They play a LOT of the same stuff over the course of a few shows and throw in one or two rarities. The bulk of their set lists actually are pretty predictable. As soon as the encore starts, you basically know you’re in for maybe one “interesting” song and everything else is going to be the same old, same old. And, as people have noted here, they play every song exactly the same way, every time. How great was slow Lukin? I’d love to see a lot more of that and they’re quite capable of it. But that type of thing takes rehearsal time and I don’t think they’re especially interested in putting much effort into the band anymore. They love music. They love making records. They love touring. They just don’t love doing it together, as Pearl Jam.

4. Two albums in ten years.

5. Ole.

6. They basically act like No Code, Binaural, and Riot Act were just a bad dream. I guess it would hard to be an oldies/nostalgia act if they played this stuff. And let’s face it, that’s exactly what they’ve become.

7. As an organization, they don’t handle criticism well. It seems easy to say the “wrong” thing around here. The mods call it lack of “respect.” I live in the Middle East and that’s the exact same thing the oppressive, totalitarian regimes here say when anyone voices an opinion that’s not sunshine and roses. They even use the word “respect.”

8. A lot of the fans are the same way – they don’t handle criticism/discussion about the band well. They slavishly defend everything the band does, no matter what. And because we pay their bills, this is the only reason why PJ can get away with putting so little effort into the musical aspect of what they do.

I'm surprised this thread hasn't been locked yet. It's not very "respectful" after all.
    Los Angeles - Sep 11, 1992
    Memphis - Aug 15, 2000
    Chicago - May 16, 2006
    Chicago - Aug 23-24, 2009
    Columbus - May 6, 2010
    Noblesville - May 7, 2010
    Manchester - June 20-21, 2012
    Amsterdam - June 26-27, 2012
    Berlin - July 4-5, 2012
  • Options
    pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    This is their lives, their creativity...
    we're just along for the ride

enjoy! :D
  • Options
    I agree with the last 2 posts above.

It is a shame we cant speak an unpopular opinion in a classy way without getting LOCKED or beat up by another member. I do have to say 10 club has done a great job at ending it when the bashing gets real harsh or unwarranted.

The band has been more of a merchandising machine than a music making machine the past decade. I remember when it was so hard to find a shirt or some thing with Pearl Jam written on it. It was awesome when they made you have to almost earn your shirt by looking for one at a show or mail in. It was almost like a shirt was a badge of honor.

With that said it seems like the band knows where the pay check is and that is the Pearl Jam name. Face it other than the lead singer they wont be able to be as financially set in the future with out the PJ income.

I dont know why the band keeps down playing and not playing the albums from No Code, Binaural, and Riot Act at more shows. Personally I think that is some of there best work. Im pretty sure a lot of members here hate on those albums just because the band may not "promote" them in a positive way.

Finally, I know its their life. They can put as much effort as they want into some thing. Its just hard to see some thing comming to an end when for the past 20 years you have spent every day with the guys. Maybe not personaly but they have been there for us when we were having a good day, having a bad day and when we were alone having the worst day ever. All things must end. It dont mean we cant vent our sorrow to fellow members who understand.
  • Options
    I'm used to waiting a long time for new albums with Metallica...so this really doesn't bother me. It'll come, don't worry.
    "Now YOU listen. When we are on this ship, you are to refer to me as 'Idiot' not 'You Captain'!"
    saldoubledutchgif_zps889c30d5.gif
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    I don't think they can do anything else with their set-lists until they make a new album. To please the 10c fans right now they would have to play lost dogs from front to back. Between 98 and 06 is where they got the reputation for having unpredictable setlists. Starting from 98 where they had the least songs (out of what they have recorded) in their rotation. gradually they kept bringing back more and more.. eg.

why go in 03
    leash and rats in 06. etc etc

I remember getting really excited when they first played rats again. Its just another song on the setlist in 2012. They have basically played every song now. In the moonlight was one of the last songs to do. Even bugs has been done several times. There isn't anything that pearl jam can do besides expand on current songs and rework them which would be great but Ive noticed previous reworked songs have not been received too well in the past. (in my tree, alone, even flow drum solo) I guess they could play the songs in a different order and close with ghost instead of yellow ledbetter... but really, i think they do a good job with their live show. Seems they found the formula with 06 tour and kept it. I think after the new album the shows will have a different feel compared to the 09 -12 run.
    you are right
    same happened to Deep
    they play it till 1995 161 times
    they bring it back after 8 years at 03 played 10 times
    then after 6 years 2009 2 times
    2011 they did it 4 times
    2012 2 times
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    A few points to make...

All (and that means all) bands have their creative peak, where they are just writing brilliant songs one after another. I believe PJ's peak was 1991-2000 - Six amazing albums, and probably 2 albums worth of superb b-sides etc.

I don't think their albums since Binaural have been in the same league - Riot Act, Pearl Jam & Backspacer all had their problems, what with Riot Act's rather flat dreary songs, Pearl Jam's horrible production and forced songwriting, and Backspacer's poppy approach and at times corny lyrics.

They have also lost a certain amount of intensity in their live shows - Watching TB2000, is to watch a band at the height of their powers...I don't think any tour since then has matched that (Europe 2006 was close though)

Eddie's voice really isn't the force it was - Since 2006 this has been quite evident

There seems to be no urgency to record the new album and tour for any length, yes they all have families and side projects, but excuses aside, could it be that they don't think the songs are good enough, and are putting off doing it, hoping Eddie perhaps pens a couple of gems in the meantime, it's a strange move.

I love this band, but I am starting to lose interest in the new bootlegs (despite the production never sounding better) because they lack the intesity of the past, the songs post 2000 aren't that special, and Eddie's singing is clearly not as strong...
  • Options
    I always thought tb2000 was pretty blah.. sounds good and stuff, but the energy was better before and after that tour IMHO..

I do agree that ranking their albums would place the last 3 in the bottom.. I still love those albums though.. and the thing is that to me Pearl Jam is more than music.. it's part of who I am as a human being, and no other band will be able to fill that spot..

This summer I saw them 3 times i Europe and I still to this day have not quite landed. Maybe that will change once I hit the 45 show mark ;)

Hamburg 2000, Berlin 2006, Copenhagen 2007, Berlin 2009, Berlin 2010, Berlin 1+2 2012, Copenhagen 2012, Amsterdam 1+2 2014, Vienna 2014, Berlin 2014, Prague 2018, Krakow 2018
  • Options
    It's started to get annoying that if you defend the band or if you disagree with some of the criticism, you're called "slavish", a "lapdog" or any slew of words of the like. I also just saw whoever it was comparing Pearl Jam to a totalitarian Middle Eastern regime. Maybe it's reaaally a time for a break? :P

I'm not sure I understand the ambiguity and slew of opinions on what the band's pace on the album indicates. Jeff, Mike and Stone have all come out and said that they're really pacing themselves on this album, they're taking their time, they're in no rush. They've also come out and performed together multiple times in this span.

From this we can draw the following conclusion: Making the new album isn't a huge priority, i.e. not the most important thing in their lives. They're interested in pursuing Pearl Jam musical avenues through some assorted live shows, but also interested in doing some different things than they've been doing over the past 20 years. And hey, wouldn't you, if the opportunity afforded itself? As Pandora eloquently said, "This is their lives, their creativity, we're just along for the ride."

They're being chill about this. Maybe we can follow their lead, and be kinda chill too? This isn't by any means the end, let's not act like the sky is falling. May I point to the Greek god of touring, the mighty Bruce Springsteen. The guy took a solid amount of time off from touring in the '90s (WOAHAOHAOHOAHOAHAH THAT'S LIKE 20 YEARS FROM WHEN HE STARTED) and now he's come back and the Magic Tour and this Wrecking Ball Tour, though they're not his shows from the '70s or '80s, still excellent, standard-setting shows. He just played his longest show in history a few months ago...40 years later from his start. I'm not saying PJ will follow this arc completely, but it just goes to show that anything's possible! :)

P.S. I can't stand the production on recent bootlegs. Really don't like listening to them. I love the dark crispness of 2000 the most, 2003's pretty solid as well. 2008 (despite Ed's voice is also a favorite).

P.P.S. You realize that we literally slobber over new merch and trade posters and oggle over new stuff with feverish intensity. Could it possibly be they're...just..giving us what we want...? Maybe that's just me being slavish again.
  • Options
    CrookedTom wrote:
    A few points to make...

All (and that means all) bands have their creative peak, where they are just writing brilliant songs one after another. I believe PJ's peak was 1991-2000 - Six amazing albums, and probably 2 albums worth of superb b-sides etc.

I don't think their albums since Binaural have been in the same league - Riot Act, Pearl Jam & Backspacer all had their problems, what with Riot Act's rather flat dreary songs, Pearl Jam's horrible production and forced songwriting, and Backspacer's poppy approach and at times corny lyrics.

They have also lost a certain amount of intensity in their live shows - Watching TB2000, is to watch a band at the height of their powers...I don't think any tour since then has matched that (Europe 2006 was close though)

Eddie's voice really isn't the force it was - Since 2006 this has been quite evident

There seems to be no urgency to record the new album and tour for any length, yes they all have families and side projects, but excuses aside, could it be that they don't think the songs are good enough, and are putting off doing it, hoping Eddie perhaps pens a couple of gems in the meantime, it's a strange move.

I love this band, but I am starting to lose interest in the new bootlegs (despite the production never sounding better) because they lack the intesity of the past, the songs post 2000 aren't that special, and Eddie's singing is clearly not as strong...

WOW I hear what your saying but its so funny how 2 fans can have the opposite outlook on the post 2000 era.

I think the album that was the darkest and flattest was Binaural not RA. Riot Act is a awesome up beat (at times slow) album. I think if the title and album cover was some thing more exciting people would have a different view about it. People do judge books by the cover :lol:

Personally I thought that 2000 the live stuff wasnt as good. Seemed like Binaural did a little flat and non energetic.

2003 they started to pick it up in a rebirth and I think they peaked in 2010. The live shows in 2010 were so awesome.

They may have burned themselves out the past few years with PJ20 and side stuff. But I totally think they have another 1/2 tank of gas left :D
  • Options
    mtolan514 wrote:
    P.P.S. You realize that we literally slobber over new merch and trade posters and oggle over new stuff with feverish intensity. Could it possibly be they're...just..giving us what we want...? Maybe that's just me being slavish again.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Yup. I said it in another thread some where. We will bitch about every thing and every thing. But weren't the good old days realy great ;):D
  • Options
    PS

This will all be forgotten and all will be right in the world as soon as the new album finally arrives. Until then this keeps us from concentrating on important things. Like work :lol:
  • Options
    dwhite76 wrote:
    PS

This will all be forgotten and all will be right in the world as soon as the new album finally arrives. Until then this keeps us from concentrating on important things. Like work :lol:

Work schmork :P

Unless complaining is our job.... :lol:
  • Options
    I'm just here for the witty banter.
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    Awesome way to celebrate PJ20....nothing but side projects!!!! ;)
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    I am always a bit surprised that it takes so long to do an album these days, especially since one like Backspacer was only about 35 minutes and pretty cut and dry.

If each band member came up with 3-4 ideas and they all got together once in awhile, you'd think they crash out an album every two years...unless crap like Ole' is diminishing their motivation.

But then again, maybe its all this side project stuff and other distractions that makes them able to stay together.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)