Options

Pearl Jam to play Oracle OpenWorld

Comments

• Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,619
    This band has an easier time feeding their families and paying their mortgages than any of the rest of us... that excuse... so funny.[/quote]

Class warfare. Great... hopefully your simple train of though can follow.

So I am going to bet I have more money than you. In fact it's guaranteed. Now I also have a wife, a kid, a mortgage(s), property taxes, income taxes, business expenses, and yes "food" has to be put on the table. In your uninformed world you think I have an "easier" time paying my bills because I have more money than you do. It's one of the most uninformed idea that people have about class. Yes I can afford more crap than you can but I also have to pay for more crap. I dont even run a multi million dollar business, with 6 figure expenses and tax bills.

Hopefully when you are done "cracking up" you can see how simple you are being.

"Rich" people should stop making money, they can afford everything!"

OK buddy...[/quote]

true that. I make more now than I did 20 years ago. So should PJ right? PROGRESS!
    For those that don't remember, this country offers equal opportunities, not equal results.

"YOU DIDN"T BUILD THIS"[/quote]

Maybe the biggest problem I have with this is that Oracle will probably be writing off a vast proportion or percentage of the cost as a business tax write off. So, as a taxpayer I'm subsidizing the corporate love fest and a Pearl Jam show. Its almost as sickening as Bill Gates telling President Obama that government needs to do more to subsidize employee development. Ah, no Bill, Microsoft needs to invest more in their employees if they desire their employees to be "developed."

If I have to pull myself up by my boot straps, corporations need to do the same.

Peace.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    PJ_LukinPJ_Lukin Posts: 2,049
    Eddie has definitely done this before. I seem to recall PJ playing for Rob Glaser besides this event, might be wrong because I am getting old and my memory sucks.
    http://www.weeklydavespeak.com/news/DM_Eddie_Vedder_111704.php

Just in case you don't know who own Oracle:
    Lawrence Joseph "Larry" Ellison (born August 17, 1944) is an American business magnate, co-founder and chief executive of Oracle Corporation, one of the world's leading enterprise software companies. As of 2012, he is the third wealthiest American citizen, with an estimated worth of $36.5 billion.The bulk of Ellison's fortune comes from his 22.5 percent stake in Oracle.
    ~!~ Peace ~!~ Love ~!~ Pearl Jam ~!~
  • Options
    When will PJ play a 10 club appreciation event? They have always done things there way but does seem odd for the 180 degree turnaround when as someone already commented about much of PJ 20 movie about the band struggling with corporate greed and no participating in these types of events. It won't stop me from being a fan and listening to the music but definitely is puzzling.
  • Options
    DP13DP13 Posts: 269
    oh no!
  • Options
    ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    When will PJ play a 10 club appreciation event? They have always done things there way but does seem odd for the 180 degree turnaround when as someone already commented about much of PJ 20 movie about the band struggling with corporate greed and no participating in these types of events. It won't stop me from being a fan and listening to the music but definitely is puzzling.

and all 10c show would be great and WELL overdue.. they did play a couple of 10 only shows in 1995 I think.. They were the good ole days.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • Options
    I dont give a flying, fat rats, monkeys ass, that Pearl Jam is playing this show..

They can play 10-20 of these same shows...
    Every year, for the next 10 years...

And I wouldnt give a flying fuck......

Take the money and run....
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    This band gets slammed for no matter what they do. :lol: People want 100 city mega tours but they don't want corporate sponsorship.

They don't tour...they get slammed.

I couldn't give a shit where they play or by what means it happens...just play! Jesus CHrist. :fp: They are the best band in the world. I don't give a shit if Mike McCready comes out on stage with a Target flag sticking out of his ass, Stone has a fucking electronic marquee scrolling across his forehead, and Ed before handing out his bottle of wine at the end has a "Kodak Sponsored Moment". Whatever gets these guys on stage and making music.
  • Options
    teemanteeman Posts: 337
    DS1119 wrote:
    This band gets slammed for no matter what they do. :lol: People want 100 city mega tours but they don't want corporate sponsorship.

They don't tour...they get slammed.

I couldn't give a shit where they play or by what means it happens...just play! Jesus CHrist. :fp: They are the best band in the world. I don't give a shit if Mike McCready comes out on stage with a Target flag sticking out of his ass, Stone has a fucking electronic marquee scrolling across his forehead, and Ed before handing out his bottle of wine at the end has a "Kodak Sponsored Moment". Whatever gets these guys on stage and making music.

Obviously a big difference between corporate sponsorship of a tour and being the house band for Oracle's conference.

The Sky I Scrape has a great post that sums up how I feel.

As for dissenting opinions, I'm suprised people can look past obvious selling out and hypocritical behavior. To each their own.
  • Options
    teeman wrote:
    Obviously a big difference between corporate sponsorship of a tour and being the house band for Oracle's conference.

As for dissenting opinions, I'm suprised people can look past obvious selling out and hypocritical behavior. To each their own.

Selling out. I think Lars from Metallica, it was, had a great answer about selling out. When asked he said something like "yeah, Metallca sells out every single fucking night".

Just remember if your boss comes into work tomorrow and offers you a raise...don't sell out man...turn that shit down! Stay the course! :lol:
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,542
    edited August 2012
    DS1119 wrote:
    teeman wrote:

Selling out. I think Lars from Metallica, it was, had a great answer about selling out. When asked he said something like "yeah, Metallca sells out every single fucking night".

Just remember if your boss comes into work tomorrow and offers you a raise...don't sell out man...turn that shit down! Stay the course! :lol:

But we didn't tell our bosses to fuck-off for 10 years before being offered a raise and yell at others who were accepting the raises. Also, the fans who have stood behind PJ for 20 years are more than ready to give Pearl Jam money to play a show, but PJ plays the corporate gig instead. A big slap in the face if you ask me. This show would not be an issue if PJ toured half the amount of a normal band, but they don't so everything like this becomes an issue.

I wonder who is more charitable, Bill Gates or the owner of Oracle? Bill Gates by billions and billions and billions. Who does Ed talk bad about on stage (bill gates), and who does he play corporate gigs for (Oracle)?

Anyway, there are bigger worries in the world.
    Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • Options
    cowboypjfancowboypjfan Posts: 2,453
    Out of curiosity, I wonder how Ed explained some of the lyrics from Satan's Bed to his model wife. Was this the beginning of his hypocrisy? Eh, who cares. Just give me a new album soon so we can all focus on the music.
  • Options
    But we didn't tell our bosses to fuck-off for 10 years before being offered a raise and yell at others who were accepting the raises. Also, the fans who have stood behind PJ for 20 years are more than ready to give Pearl Jam money to play a show, but PJ plays the corporate gig instead. A big slap in the face if you ask me. This show would not be an issue if PJ toured half the amount of a normal band, but they don't so everything like this becomes an issue.

I wonder who is more charitable, Bill Gates or the owner of Oracle? Bill Gates by billions and billions and billions. Who does Ed talk bad about on stage (bill gates), and who does he play corporate gigs for (Oracle)?

Speak with your wallet then. Next PJ show that comes that you want to attend...don't go. That will show them! :lol:
  • Options
    Out of curiosity, I wonder how Ed explained some of the lyrics from Satan's Bed to his model wife. Was this the beginning of his hypocrisy? Eh, who cares. Just give me a new album soon so we can all focus on the music.

Not you just elaborating on your point...people change. :lol: No one here is the same person and/or people you were 20 years ago...and if you still are...please change. :lol:
  • Options
    smells like 'greed' spirit

vote w YOUR hard earned $$ by only supporting the bands/events that are WORTH it to you

would love to start a charitable event to try to match the $2500.00 per person that people will spend in a blink of an eye on this "exclusive" event --- and donate the $$ pubicly in support of something much more valuable
  • Options
    pureocpureoc Posts: 2,383
    Disappointing for sure. So the guy who I heard give this awesome rant at Alpine in 2003

"Power to the people man.... The real people, the people that work, not the people that sit in their towers, and try to run the whole thing, thinking that we're too stupid to notice what they're doing! They get us in our little holes, and our boxes, and our cages and they show us American Idol and American Gladiators and American .... blowjob, buttfuck, whatever. And everyone watches with baited breath. Oh, who's going to get a blowjob tonight? What American's going to get a blowjob tonight? When in reality, you could be getting one yourself instead of watching the fucking TV, I don't know. I digress."

is playing a gig for almost $2400 for a company with one of the richest CEO's in the country. They certainly are entitled to do what they want, but I just don't get it. They have certainly changed. I just wonder first off, why, and second, when they decided to make this drastic change. I guess they were gradually changing but this is a real shocker to me.

I will continue to listen to them as long as they continue to make good music, but I certainly liked them more when they stood behind there F YOU to the corporate america/republican mindset.
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98, Alpine Valley 10/8/00, Champaign 4/23/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Grand Rapids 10/3/04
    Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Milwaukee 6/29/06, Milwaukee 6/30/06, Lollapalooza 8/5/07
    Eddie Solo Milwaukee 8/19/08, Toronto 8/21/09, Chicago 8/23/09
    Chicago 8/24/09, Indianapolis 5/7/10, Ed Chicago 6/29/11, Alpine Valley 9/3/11 and 9/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Moline 10/18/14, Milwaukee 10/20/14
  • Options
    eladdereladder Posts: 414
    As far as satans bed nobody knows the events (or i dont) that led to eds previous relationship failing. Not fair to assume anything. And id also bet theres a lot more to his wife than just looks. Id say vedders not the shallow type.

As far as this oracle thing i just think its lame based on how i view and have viewed the band. I view them as above the sell out trappings and thats obviously changing. People on here are like its only about the music so i dont care what they do but isnt it the music that rails against corporate greed? The lyrics to green disease, soon forget, corduroy. How many rants have we heard against corporations? And specifically, ed always talks about his fear and refusal to accept technology. Oracle?

Didnt most of us love this band because of the way they did things their way and went below the radar to avoid crap like these events? I can definitely say that i wouldnt be as big a fan if pj did do things like this in the 90s. Like not doing shit like this was part of their mystique and greatness in my opinion. I dont hate on anyone trying to make more money but as stated on here, why not just play a few shows for real fans? We obviously pay. Unlike some on here, im not going to begrudge them from making cash but there are other ways involving the real fan base and i dont blame some for asking the question bud fox asked to gekko. Whens enough enough? I know the music industry has changed but its just tough for me to swallow (obviously). Im always telling my friends that pj is different from the rest and that IS a huge reason why i think they are so great. I feel like almost all celebs and entertainers are unabashedly about cash and it makes their message hollow. I need to accept that i have to adjust my expectations. Sorry for the rant. I just love watching snl 94 "not for you" and their obvious disdain for the norm. I get it that its been almost 20 years since that but this just seems extreme. I still love em and always will but the illusion is fading.
    He was ok but wondering about wandering
  • Options
    DS1119 wrote:

Speak with your wallet then. Next PJ show that comes that you want to attend...don't go. That will show them! :lol:

I like the shows too much! You do know PJ has a monopoly, right? :)

Realistically, do you think fans that post on this board are going to stop going to PJ shows because of this? No. Do we think the members of PJ are bad people? No. But I think it is undeniable that a large amount of fans that stuck around after 1996 was in large part due to the integrity of the band. We stayed attached to the band because we respected them, and they made great music. We'd tell our friends that this band is different. They care about the fans and music, and making money last.

Nothing has changed about what big corporations do from 1991 until 2012 (if they aren't worse). That is why people are calling the band hypocrites.
  • Options
    eladder wrote:
    As far as satans bed nobody knows the events (or i dont) that led to eds previous relationship failing. Not fair to assume anything. And id also bet theres a lot more to his wife than just looks. Id say vedders not the shallow type.

As far as this oracle thing i just think its lame based on how i view and have viewed the band. I view them as above the sell out trappings and thats obviously changing. People on here are like its only about the music so i dont care what they do but isnt it the music that rails against corporate greed? The lyrics to green disease, soon forget, corduroy. How many rants have we heard against corporations? And specifically, ed always talks about his fear and refusal to accept technology. Oracle?

Didnt most of us love this band because of the way they did things their way and went below the radar to avoid crap like these events? I can definitely say that i wouldnt be as big a fan if pj did do things like this in the 90s. Like not doing shit like this was part of their mystique and greatness in my opinion. I dont hate on anyone trying to make more money but as stated on here, why not just play a few shows for real fans? We obviously pay. Unlike some on here, im not going to begrudge them from making cash but there are other ways involving the real fan base and i dont blame some for asking the question bud fox asked to gekko. Whens enough enough? I know the music industry has changed but its just tough for me to swallow (obviously). Im always telling my friends that pj is different from the rest and that IS a huge reason why i think they are so great. I feel like almost all celebs and entertainers are unabashedly about cash and it makes their message hollow. I need to accept that i have to adjust my expectations. Sorry for the rant. I just love watching snl 94 "not for you" and their obvious disdain for the norm. I get it that its been almost 20 years since that but this just seems extreme. I still love em and always will but the illusion is fading.

Well said.
  • Options
    SOLAT319SOLAT319 Posts: 4,564
    pureoc wrote:
    Disappointing for sure. So the guy who I heard give this awesome rant at Alpine in 2003

"Power to the people man.... The real people, the people that work, not the people that sit in their towers, and try to run the whole thing, thinking that we're too stupid to notice what they're doing! They get us in our little holes, and our boxes, and our cages and they show us American Idol and American Gladiators and American .... blowjob, buttfuck, whatever. And everyone watches with baited breath. Oh, who's going to get a blowjob tonight? What American's going to get a blowjob tonight? When in reality, you could be getting one yourself instead of watching the fucking TV, I don't know. I digress."

is playing a gig for almost $2400 for a company with one of the richest CEO's in the country. They certainly are entitled to do what they want, but I just don't get it. They have certainly changed. I just wonder first off, why, and second, when they decided to make this drastic change. I guess they were gradually changing but this is a real shocker to me.

I will continue to listen to them as long as they continue to make good music, but I certainly liked them more when they stood behind there F YOU to the corporate america/republican mindset.

I was at that gig and remember that talk word for word. One of my top 10 gigs for sure. And I agree with the rest of your post as well.
    I have no patience for bad music and stupid people...

The whole world will be different soon the whole world will be RELIEVED

#resistgezi #resistturkey #resisttaksim #direnturkiye #direngezi
    #standingman #duranadam
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,290
    Lament wrote:
    Pearl Jam isn't playing the Oracle Music Festival. They're playing the Oracle Appreciation Event for $2,395 a head.
    So... the chances of a setlist thread for this are pretty slim then? :)
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    PJammer4lifePJammer4life Los Angeles Posts: 2,595
    Ok..I tried to remain quiet..but have a couple of points..

1.The corporate thing ..yeah it is contrary to the bands past message and indicates a change in course...I don't want to hear any 1% songs on the new album when they do this..it would come off as fake......

2. It irks me when I hear.."Yeah Mike was right..they are playing in SF in September", when they haven't played the west coast in 3 years...if this was a side gig on an off day during a tour in addition to 7-8 other dates in SF/LA/Santa Barbara/Portland/Seattle/Vancouver..then it wouldn't bother me as much..but what do they have to gain..besides money...why not play Golden Gate Park if they want..make it Ten Club only and they could sell out that place...but they are playing only to the RICH/Exclusive Oracle members..leaving out the long time fans... with no other shows on the horizon...

3. Ther corporate route is the easy route..but they have earned a strong fan base over 20+ years..why not utilize it by having shows?? When posters are going for $300..vinyl for $1000...zippos for $500..there is opportunity to make money from the FAN BASE BEFORE the CORPORATE BASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They gave 2 shows to the east coast..one close to Jeff in Montana..but nothing for the west coast..but play this event??? i understand wanting to stay close to home with young kids..but come on..it's not like they couldn't play a SEATTLE show and sell out multiple nights....people came all over the world( me included) for PJ20..don't you think they would come to Seattle???

I would even accept it if they said were only playing in Seattle from this point forward...I think they made a bad choice on this one..

End Rant
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23
  • Options
    jfconnorjrjfconnorjr Posts: 518
    edited August 2012
    After reading 20 pages on this topic I have realized...

We should not be angry at the band for doing this but angry at ourselves for believing the band would not do this.

After 18yrs... this may be "jump the shark" moment for me. Don't kid yourselves, nobody in this organization is going hungry or wanting for much. Shame on us for thinking they are better than this...... sad day.
    Post edited by jfconnorjr on
  • Options
    SOLAT319SOLAT319 Posts: 4,564
    I have no patience for bad music and stupid people...

The whole world will be different soon the whole world will be RELIEVED

#resistgezi #resistturkey #resisttaksim #direnturkiye #direngezi
    #standingman #duranadam
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,619
    eladder wrote:

I don't think I could explain my feelings as well as stated here as I'm still mulling this over. And this doesn't help:

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2011/03/14/ ... x-holiday/ :fp:

Kind of like opposite ends of the spectrum as far as beliefs go. Aaaarrrrrrrrrrrggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Think they'll play 25 Minutes?

Peace.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    Stardog3..Stardog3.. Posts: 1,527
    I'm pretty sure that somewhere in my Itunes is also Ed discussing the Occupy Wall St. movement and the power to the 99% in an interview after one of the South American gigs. This was obviously within the last year.

I guess it is just that- while I still love the music- how much more hypocritical can you get????

What's interesting to me is they are at a point in their career where this really is not going to effect them as a band or their ability to make money. If they would have done this in the first half of their career, it could have been really detrimental to their "non-image" (because we all know the non-image was their image all along). Worst case scenario now: all their fans disown them (HIGHLY unlikely) and they've had twenty one awesome years together, made boatloads of money, and go off doing side projects and solo gigs (& still make more money)...oh, and then in like 10 years have some HUGE weekend reunion concert...and make more money.

Most likely: everyone will forget about this and still to concerts and have a good time because it is the music that everybody loves....that is, until the next record comes out and everyone thinks it's Backspacer II and then this whole thread will resurface. :lol:
  • Options
    Everyone here does realize The Who, Springsteen, etc. have played the Super Bowl right? :lol: Shit...wasn't everyone up in arms just the other day because The Who's set got cut short at the Olympics? :lol: Please...just please. :lol: They make awesome music and that's the bottom line. If you don't like how it's marketed and sold move on. :fp: :lol:
  • Options
    3days3days Posts: 1,152
    edited August 2012
    I guess I just don't see what all the fuss is about. I remember people being upset when Backspacer was being released (partially) by Target, and again a few months ago when the Budweiser festival was announced. There have been plenty of instances where people questioned whether the band "sold out". Personally, I think it's a bit misguided to assume or imply that the band "sold out" without knowing all the facts.

There's an ad that pairs PJ with a well known and very corporate parcel delivery company. Does that mean that Stone and co are simply well paid whores for UPS? Of course not... My understanding is that UPS agreed to work with PJ on carbon offsetting (something that the band has maintained an interest in for many years).

In 2007, PJ played Lollapalooza which was sponsered by AT&T. Does that mean that PJ are in bed with AT&T? Of course not... The band was publicly critical of AT&T editing part of their show from the Lollapalooza webcast. The band also took the opportunity to criticize another corporation that weekend.

PJ has opened for the Stones on different occasions, and the Stones always have a major corporate sponsor. Does that mean that the guys are trying to weasel their way into new business opportunities. Of course not... PJ are fans and friends of the Stones, EV has worked with Ron Wood, and the two bands seemed to like the idea of pairing up.

I don't know much about their decision to play the Oracle event, but truthfully, you don't either. Maybe a friend asked them to do it. Maybe Oracle is willing to put money into a charity that Pearl Jam works with. Maybe Oracle agreed to design a server that would eliminate the next F5 "crisis". Maybe PJ felt a sudden urgency to play the Bay area asap. Maybe it's just ridiculously difficult to put on a show for thousands of fans without bumping into a major corporation somewhere along the way (wasn't that the case back in 1995?).

I can't see the logic in discounting a very active, conscientious, and charitable band for one decision they've made, especially without knowing why they made it.
    Post edited by 3days on
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,713
    This thread is almost an echo of the countless threads about ticket prices over the years. We get this same old old argument about what pearl jam were like 20 years ago?

Did no one else here not grow up and evolve?  Allow their beliefs to change along the way when the world and it's continuing education opened your eyes? A lot can happen and a lot has happened in the last 20 years. Eddie doesn't climb the stage anymore or throw himself off lighting rigs. 

Yeah they took a stand 17 years ago, let's reflect on the thanks they got for doing so and not to mention the overwhelming support they were given by their peers. They were all alone without a single thanks. 17 years ago they could move countless millions of records without trying too hard. It was automatic so it's easy to see how they could afford to do those things. Now people steal their product, and now come here all pissed off that the band is going out and making money.

It's easy to say they were anti corporate all those years ago - playing not for you with anger yet using Sonys might to change their finances for ever (and I have no problem with that). No they took the major label and made them and themselves a shit load of cash. Was it right? Sure because they took the money and did what they wanted with it - countless charities have benefited. It's probably the same story this time. They could have stayed underground couldn't they? 

This isn't a show for the average fan - It'll more than likely be an hour or so. It's extracurricular and it's none of our business. And the best bit no one has a clue why they are doing it!!! Who knows - and you know what they certainly don't need to come here and explain it to people who act like they do here. 

Perhaps they arnt perfect - are you? 
  • Options
    drummerboy_73drummerboy_73 Las Vegas, NV Posts: 2,011
    They're doing this gig because the profits will help cover the production costs of this year's (last year's) vinyl holiday single and DEEP magazine...

:corn:
    Osaka, Japan (2/21/95), San Diego (7/10/98), Las Vegas (10/22/00), San Diego (10/25/00), Las Vegas (6/6/03), Las Vegas (7/6/06), Los Angeles (7/9/06), VH1 Rock Honors (7/12/08), Ed Solo (7/8/11), Ed Solo (11/1/12), Los Angeles (11/23/13)
  • Options
    Mikee JMikee J Posts: 1,323
    I remember when you sang
    That song about today
    Now it's tomorrow and
    Everything has changed
    "My body's nobody's body but mine"