London 2012 Olympics

Comments

• Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,822
    Team USA basketball is putting on quite a show in this 3rd quarter vs. Argentina. Durant is ridiculous!!!
  • EnkiduEnkidu Posts: 2,996
    dottles wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:
    Why is baseball not in the Olympics? Yet syncronized swimming/diving is? Archery? Shooting and I'm sure many more ridulous stuff.
    Probably because baseball is only played in certain areas of the planet, where as other sports whilst minority are competed in all over the world.
    Baseball was in in 92, 96, 00, 04, 08 (Cuba winning the most golds) but was removed by the IOC, it will not be in the 16 games either but can be reinstated in the future if it meets IOC criteria.
    If baseball is reinstated then cricket and rugby should be too!!

Agree. Yes to baseball and cricket and rugby. Get rid of all the synchro stuff. Diving used to be fun to watch, I don't give a rat's ass if someone does it at the same time exactly as somebody else. So what?
  • dottlesdottles Posts: 9,137
    Enkidu wrote:
    dottles wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:
    Why is baseball not in the Olympics? Yet syncronized swimming/diving is? Archery? Shooting and I'm sure many more ridulous stuff.
    Probably because baseball is only played in certain areas of the planet, where as other sports whilst minority are competed in all over the world.
    Baseball was in in 92, 96, 00, 04, 08 (Cuba winning the most golds) but was removed by the IOC, it will not be in the 16 games either but can be reinstated in the future if it meets IOC criteria.
    If baseball is reinstated then cricket and rugby should be too!!

Agree. Yes to baseball and cricket and rugby. Get rid of all the synchro stuff. Diving used to be fun to watch, I don't give a rat's ass if someone does it at the same time exactly as somebody else. So what?

The diving is technically one of the most difficult sports, in order to complete those dives the divers have to train and learn so much and they've one go... I think the thing is how high the standard is now, it's hard for any to stand out. Solo dives are later this week btw.

btw archery is pretty popular where I am in the UK, my old boss competes and has competitions all over the country. Sports aren't daft just because they don't have multi million pound investments/publicity/overpayed players.
    2009 - Manchester. 2010 - Dublin, Belfast, London, Berlin, Arras, Werchter. 2011 - PJ20 i & ii, Montreal, Toronto i & ii, Ottawa, Hamilton. 
    2012 - Manchester i & ii, Berlin i & ii, Stockholm. 2014 - Amsterdam i & ii, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin, Leeds, Milton Keynes.
    2016 - Boston Fenway i & ii, 2018 - Amsterdam i & ii, Pinkpop, London i & ii, Padova, Krakow, Barcelona, Seattle i & ii. 
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,548
    Team USA basketball is putting on quite a show in this 3rd quarter vs. Argentina. Durant is ridiculous!!!
    yep..watching that!!!
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,822
    yep..watching that!!!

Argentina pissed off the wrong team. Not a good move with the cheap shot on Anthony by Campazzao....cheap shot right to the nuts. I hope we play these guys in the semifinals...they will destroy this team.
  • EnkiduEnkidu Posts: 2,996
    dottles wrote:
    The diving is technically one of the most difficult sports, in order to complete those dives the divers have to train and learn so much and they've one go... I think the thing is how high the standard is now, it's hard for any to stand out. Solo dives are later this week btw.

btw archery is pretty popular where I am in the UK, my old boss competes and has competitions all over the country. Sports aren't daft just because they don't have multi million pound investments/publicity/overpayed players.

I love diving - just not the synchro version. And I like archery too - have you ever done it, I tried once and it's super hard.
    yep..watching that!!!

Argentina pissed off the wrong team. Not a good move with the cheap shot on Anthony by Campazzao....cheap shot right to the nuts. I hope we play these guys in the semifinals...they will destroy this team.
    true..
    there is no team at the level of USA..
    and lame from Spain that loose for not play with USAat the semifinals..
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    AzpssXkCAAAS5Qj.jpg:large
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,876
    edited August 2012
    lukin2006 wrote:
    It was simply because it wasn't popular enough with viewers if i remember correctly. All the best players in the world play in the major league, and none of them would go to the Olympics because it's in the middle of the season. The teams wouldn't want their best players to go off and play in the olympics and risk injury or anything mid-season, even if they were willing to have a break for 2 weeks, which they aren't. So not enough people gave a shit about watching players not good enough to play major league ball, since the olympics are supposed to feature the best in the sport. Understandable. If NHL players couldn't play in the winter olympics, i wouldn't care; i'd rather just watch NHL games. I don't even think players jn the minors could go either, since they would also have to stay home and play, be available to be called up, etc. So you'd be left with who? Those not even good enough for the minor league. That's my take on it anyway.

Synchro swimming is HARD though. Don't knock it too quickly. That shit takes real fitness and strength and years of training, even if it does look kind of silly to a lot of people.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    norm wrote:
    :lol:
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    For the longest time Olympics didn't have the best in sport...it wasn't till the mid 90's or something like that till paid professionals were allowed. Basebali is a sport that should be in the Olympics...fail to see why popularity should have anything to do with it, most of those other sports no one gives a damn about till the Olympics. At least baseball was somewhat competitive. Unless it's a fluke no one will defeat USA basketball.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
    lukin2006 wrote:
    For the longest time Olympics didn't have the best in sport...it wasn't till the mid 90's or something like that till paid professionals were allowed. Basebali is a sport that should be in the Olympics...fail to see why popularity should have anything to do with it, most of those other sports no one gives a damn about till the Olympics. At least baseball was somewhat competitive. Unless it's a fluke no one will defeat USA basketball.
    I dunno... I just recall that that is the reasoning. The event takes a high-maintenence dedicated venue, and interest wasn't high enough to justify that, so they ditched it. I guess it's a pretty limited sport internationally too. It's big in north america and japan and Cuba and a few other countries, but there is zero interest in much of the world - less than basketball. Many countries wouldn't have a baseball diamond anywhere, much less a national team.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    over to the Winter Olympics then both men and womens hockey should be dropped? Right? It not played in a large amount of countries.

And women's hockey has no competition...US or Canada win it all and no other country appears to be gaining on them.

What if the NHL decides not to send the players in 2014 or beyond. I believe they'll send players in 2014 but after that I'm not sure...dump the sport from the Olympics...yes/no. The best won't be there. It wasn't until '98 that the best appearesd...all those Russian Olympic Gold should have asterisks beside them.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

PJ_Soul wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:
    I dunno... I just recall that that is the reasoning. The event takes a high-maintenence dedicated venue, and interest wasn't high enough to justify that, so they ditched it. I guess it's a pretty limited sport internationally too. It's big in north america and japan and Cuba and a few other countries, but there is zero interest in much of the world - less than basketball. Many countries wouldn't have a baseball diamond anywhere, much less a national team.

Seems if that's the IOC reasoning then it seems lame. Heck I read that the swimming venue cost 480 million, they could have built a baseball diamond for far less.

lukin2006 wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

Seems if that's the IOC reasoning then it seems lame. Heck I read that the swimming venue cost 480 million, they could have built a baseball diamond for far less.
    True, but interest in Olympic swimming is massive compared to what it was for baseball, and swimming is a way more international sport. I mean, they're not about to make American football an Olympic sport. Why? Because it's not played in enough countries to justify it being played in an international sporting competition. Same with baseball (to a lesser degree) on top of the lack of viewer interest outside of the US.

Plus, many sports are played in one venue at the swimming pool. Swimming, diving, I think water polo, synchro... you can only use a baseball venue for baseball. And a pool can be used after the Olympics by the locals. It adds to the local infrastructure. But there aren't many places where a baseball diamond would be useful after the Olympics ended if they're not held in a country where baseball isn't played.

I understand the annoyance for baseball fans for sure... but there also seem to be a lot of decent reasons to get rid of it.
  • markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,119
    While I like baseball and would like to see it back in the Olympics, I can understand it not being included. The universality just isn't there. Only 6 countries have ever medaled and it's basically Cuba, USA, South Korea, and Japan as the major players. I'm betting that the World Baseball Classic will start to be to baseball what the World Cup is to soccer (just on a lesser scale). If the IOC sees the WBC as being popular and relevant, they will probably try to bring baseball back to the games, but by then it won't be as big as winning the WBC.
    According to this quite a few countries play baseball.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of ... ted_States

I believe 28 countries will be competing in the world baseball classic...so more than enough countries play baseball for it to be in the Olympics. I hope it get reinstated in the future.

While I like baseball and would like to see it back in the Olympics, I can understand it not being included. The universality just isn't there. Only 6 countries have ever medaled and it's basically Cuba, USA, South Korea, and Japan as the major players. I'm betting that the World Baseball Classic will start to be to baseball what the World Cup is to soccer (just on a lesser scale). If the IOC sees the WBC as being popular and relevant, they will probably try to bring baseball back to the games, but by then it won't be as big as winning the WBC.

Only 2 countries have gold medals in woman's hockey, in men's hockey there is really only 6 teams that have a realistic shot at gold...more countries play baseball than people think.

What about basketball...unless its a fluke team USA will win most games. Baseball is far more international than basketball.

The USA has won 13 of 16 gold medals in basketball...let's drop basketball then.

lukin2006 wrote:

Only 2 countries have gold medals in woman's hockey, in men's hockey there is really only 6 teams that have a realistic shot at gold...more countries play baseball than people think.

What about basketball...unless its a fluke team USA will win most games. Baseball is far more international than basketball.

The USA has won 13 of 16 gold medals in basketball...let's drop basketball then.
    No, it's not about only a few countries having a SHOT. It's about a lack of possible national teams that could even come close to any kind of qualifying level altogether. Hardly any countries could assemble an Olympic baseball team because the sport simply is not played in so many countries. But lots and lots of countries have basketball teams and hockey teams, even though many don't have a a chance against a few nations that dominate. Baseball just isn't international enough for the Olympics they decided.
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    wow. Just watched the women's US soccer defeat Canada, what an amazing game! Canada scored first and each time USA scored again to tie. It went to overtime (2 x 15 minute periods) and was still tied 3-3, until in final 30 seconds of 3 minute extra time, USA scored. It was a very physical game, a total fight the whole way. I feel bad for Canada, they played amazing. Hopefully USA will have enough energy for Thursday's gold medal game against Japan (rematch of last year's world cup final that Japan won)
    lukin2006 wrote:
    According to this quite a few countries play baseball.

I believe 28 countries will be competing in the world baseball classic...so more than enough countries play baseball for it to be in the Olympics. I hope it get reinstated in the future.
    Not an Olympic level. Most of those teams would come to the Olympics and it would literally seem like we were watching little leaguers playing college baseball teams knce they played the few countries where the sport is big. That's not fair competition, no matter who has more of a shot. That's just a set up for humiliation. Not sure why anyone would want to watch that. I mean, you can find american football teams in Europe now, but you're not about to pit them against any NFL team. It's just not a competition anymore. In basketball and hockey there are at least plenty of teams that put up a good fight, and which have NBA and NHL players on those teams.

The IOC didn't get rid of baseball to be malicious. I know many aren't happy, but there are good reasons for it, or else they wouldn't have made that decision, and I bet it wasn't an easy one. But I trust that they made the decision for good reasons, knowing that it would disappoint some people.
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

No, it's not about only a few countries having a SHOT. It's about a lack of possible national teams that could even come close to any kind of qualifying level altogether. Hardly any countries could assemble an Olympic baseball team because the sport simply is not played in so many countries. But lots and lots of countries have basketball teams and hockey teams, even though many don't have a a chance against a few nations that dominate. Baseball just isn't international enough for the Olympics they decided.

It appears other than the USA no country can really field an Olympic basketball team, have you watched women's hockey? Men's hockey...really only 6 competitive teams. My guess because the Olympics were in Europe this time is why baseball was dropped...

rick1zoo2 wrote:
    wow. Just watched the women's US soccer defeat Canada, what an amazing game! Canada scored first and each time USA scored again to tie. It went to overtime (2 x 15 minute periods) and was still tied 3-3, until in final 30 seconds of 3 minute extra time, USA scored. It was a very physical game, a total fight the whole way. I feel bad for Canada, they played amazing. Hopefully USA will have enough energy for Thursday's gold medal game against Japan (rematch of last year's world cup final that Japan won)

Good game...go JAPAN...

• markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,119
    lukin2006 wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

It appears other than the USA no country can really field an Olympic basketball team, have you watched women's hockey? Men's hockey...really only 6 competitive teams. My guess because the Olympics were in Europe this time is why baseball was dropped...
    It's like PJ_Soul said though, it's not for lack of trying. Those 6 countries for baseball is out of maybe 15 countries that competed. Hockey and basketball have far more teams that have made the Olympics and competed, even with the more competitive Olympic trials for those sports. They discussed dropping the Olympics before Beijing, but gave it one more Olympiad. The interest worldwide just isn't there.
    lukin2006 wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

Don't think so. They're in Rio next time. That is not how the IOC works. Hockey and basketball are way more international and internationally competitive than baseball. And again, it's not about who can make the finals. It's about not being humiliated. Hockey and basketball aren't even in the same realm in this sense. And way more countries have those sports.
    Anyway, these are all the IOC's reasons. I personally think they're reasonable, and do not apply to hockey and basketball at all (in some cases it may actually be for certain women's events because wkmen in sport is still only growing in many countries, but they can't have a men's event without having a women's for obvious reasons, so those examples can't really be included in the equation). But if baseball grows internationally (maybe it will with this world thingy you've mentioned) they'll bring it back.
    Bring baseball back to the Olympics!

• rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    so glad I DVR'd tonight's primetime coverage and started watching later, I fast forwarded through all the diving and beach volleyball, now enjoying the track events.
    You really think woman's hockey is competitive! Men's basketball has been won by the USA 13 out of 16 times. 28 countries are sending teams to the word baseball classic! No argument holds up...IMO. Quite simple they dropped it because the Olympics were in Europe.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/london201 ... -semifinal

London 2012: Canadian women robbed in soccer semi: Kelly

MANCHESTER, ENGLAND—Melissa Tancredi wanted to get on the bus. She couldn’t trust herself to talk.

But after being robbed of a chance for a gold medal — in what was the equivalent of pilfering the chalices from one of the sport’s cathedrals — she couldn’t walk away.

She returned, face twitching, eyes red-rimmed and wet.

“I couldn’t believe what happened,” Tancredi said, jaw working side to side. “That was our game. That was our win. And it was just taken away. So …”

She let that “So” trail off.

Canada will be thinking about that “So” for a long time.

Monday’s Olympic semifinal at Old Trafford was probably the best game of women’s football ever played. Canada lost 4-3 after added extra time. The key player? Norwegian referee Christina Pedersen.

Canada took the lead three separate times through three Christine Sinclair goals of exponentially expanding skill. It was a triptych that ought to be hanging over a Flemish altar.

“We feel like we didn’t lose, we feel like it was taken from us,” Sinclair said. “It’s a shame in a game like that that was so important, the ref decided the result before it started.”

After last night, the committee that gathers to decide the Lou Marsh Award for Canada’s top athlete next year can start drinking at noon. It won’t be a very long meeting.

Sinclair is already the finest female team athlete this country has ever produced.

She was the very best she has ever been in the biggest game she has ever played. What other athlete can say that?

Whether Sinclair comes away from these Games with a medal or not, last night was the golden cupola crowning her career.

Her third came in the 73rd minute, pushing off two markers and heading the ball back across the face of goal and over a defender standing at the far post. It was a flat classic. Men. Women. Martians. Nobody scores that good a goal.

There was a long, long way to go until victory, which makes what happened next so crushing and also so bizarre.

Around the 78th minute, the ball found its way back to Canadian goalkeeper, Erin McLeod. The American forwards were pressing high up the pitch. McLeod was looking for a chance to outlet the ball to a fullback, rather than to launch it up the field. Eventually, she gave in and hoofed it forward. But Pedersen had blown her whistle.

She called a foul on McLeod for a six-second violation — time wasting in other words, though nobody’s foolish enough to begin eating the clock with 20 minutes to go.

No warning was given, according to McLeod. That’s the form — warning first. You want another theme? This has been the Army Olympics, the Empty Olympics and the Angry Olympics. Now it’s the Making Things Up As You Go The Hell Along Olympics.

Regardless of the warning, how often is that call made?

“I’ve never seen that before,” U.S. coach Pia Sundhage said afterward. Sundhage has worked in the game since they used mammoth tusks for goalposts.

She’s never seen it because that call is never made. Never.

And in a one-goal game in which a gold medal hangs in the balance, it should be made never to the power of infinity.

On the ensuing free kick inside the Canadian area, the ball cannoned into the protective arm of Marie-Eve Nault. That’s probably a penalty. That’s how Pedersen called it. The problem was that Pedersen and her crew had ignored an even more blatant handball in the area by American Megan Rapinoe 10 minutes before.

After Abby Wambach’s penalty tied it 3-3, it went to added extra time. Alex Morgan headed in the winning goal in the 123rd minute.

But the game was truly lost when Pedersen lost control of her senses and called what is the footballing equivalent of a high-risk takedown after a rolling stop.

After the call, Canadian players rushed Pedersen.

“I said, ‘I hope you can sleep tonight. Put on your American jersey. That’s who you played for today,’” Tancredi said, voice shaking. “I was honest.”

As captain, Sinclair asked Pedersen for an explanation.

“She actually giggled and said nothing,” Sinclair said. “Classy.”

Even coach John Herdman, a man so positively charged he may bleed protons, could not contain himself.

He started out diplomatic: “It is what it is.” Then the emotion began to get hold of him. At one point, he was forced to stop, near tears. By the end, anger was finally surfacing.

“It was taken from them,” Herdman said. “We’ll move on from this. I wonder if (Pedersen) will be able to.”

Afterward, like Tancredi, he couldn’t quite bring himself to leave. His eyes were glassy, his look dazed. He seemed unsteady on his feet. One wonders if disappointment can cause a concussion.

The point he wanted to keep banging on — “To watch them women just keep getting up was phenomenal. It felt like it was America and the referee against us. … And not to come away with something?”

But they did. There may still be a bronze in this for them, but they’ve already given us the Canadian Olympic team’s defining performance in these Games.

A performance like that cannot be forgotten only because it came in a loss.

We celebrate victories, but we also celebrate classics. If all those great Canadian triumphs we like to talk about — from ’72 onward — were celebrations, this team’s 4-3 loss at the Olympics was Lear on grass. It was Macbeth. It was a great tragedy. Emphasis on “great.”

Canada played the world’s No. 1-ranked team, the double defending gold medallists, a side they had not beaten in 11 years.

And they lost, unfair and unsquare. But they were magnificent.

If there is to be any justice after a largely unjust night, the rest of us will remember and celebrate what happened here.

• vduboisevduboise Posts: 1,937
    norm wrote:
    one travels at the speed of light and the other at the speed of money! :lol: