London 2012 Olympics

Comments

• Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    lukin2006 wrote:
    http://www.thestar.com/sports/london2012/football/article/1237877--london-2012-canada-loses-4-3-to-us-in-olympic-soccer-semifinal

London 2012: Canadian women robbed in soccer semi: Kelly

MANCHESTER, ENGLAND—Melissa Tancredi wanted to get on the bus. She couldn’t trust herself to talk.

But after being robbed of a chance for a gold medal — in what was the equivalent of pilfering the chalices from one of the sport’s cathedrals — she couldn’t walk away.

She returned, face twitching, eyes red-rimmed and wet.

“I couldn’t believe what happened,” Tancredi said, jaw working side to side. “That was our game. That was our win. And it was just taken away. So …”

She let that “So” trail off.

Canada will be thinking about that “So” for a long time.

Monday’s Olympic semifinal at Old Trafford was probably the best game of women’s football ever played. Canada lost 4-3 after added extra time. The key player? Norwegian referee Christina Pedersen.

Canada took the lead three separate times through three Christine Sinclair goals of exponentially expanding skill. It was a triptych that ought to be hanging over a Flemish altar.

“We feel like we didn’t lose, we feel like it was taken from us,” Sinclair said. “It’s a shame in a game like that that was so important, the ref decided the result before it started.”

After last night, the committee that gathers to decide the Lou Marsh Award for Canada’s top athlete next year can start drinking at noon. It won’t be a very long meeting.

Sinclair is already the finest female team athlete this country has ever produced.

She was the very best she has ever been in the biggest game she has ever played. What other athlete can say that?

Whether Sinclair comes away from these Games with a medal or not, last night was the golden cupola crowning her career.

Her third came in the 73rd minute, pushing off two markers and heading the ball back across the face of goal and over a defender standing at the far post. It was a flat classic. Men. Women. Martians. Nobody scores that good a goal.

There was a long, long way to go until victory, which makes what happened next so crushing and also so bizarre.

Around the 78th minute, the ball found its way back to Canadian goalkeeper, Erin McLeod. The American forwards were pressing high up the pitch. McLeod was looking for a chance to outlet the ball to a fullback, rather than to launch it up the field. Eventually, she gave in and hoofed it forward. But Pedersen had blown her whistle.

She called a foul on McLeod for a six-second violation — time wasting in other words, though nobody’s foolish enough to begin eating the clock with 20 minutes to go.

No warning was given, according to McLeod. That’s the form — warning first. You want another theme? This has been the Army Olympics, the Empty Olympics and the Angry Olympics. Now it’s the Making Things Up As You Go The Hell Along Olympics.

Regardless of the warning, how often is that call made?

“I’ve never seen that before,” U.S. coach Pia Sundhage said afterward. Sundhage has worked in the game since they used mammoth tusks for goalposts.

She’s never seen it because that call is never made. Never.

And in a one-goal game in which a gold medal hangs in the balance, it should be made never to the power of infinity.

On the ensuing free kick inside the Canadian area, the ball cannoned into the protective arm of Marie-Eve Nault. That’s probably a penalty. That’s how Pedersen called it. The problem was that Pedersen and her crew had ignored an even more blatant handball in the area by American Megan Rapinoe 10 minutes before.

After Abby Wambach’s penalty tied it 3-3, it went to added extra time. Alex Morgan headed in the winning goal in the 123rd minute.

But the game was truly lost when Pedersen lost control of her senses and called what is the footballing equivalent of a high-risk takedown after a rolling stop.

After the call, Canadian players rushed Pedersen.

“I said, ‘I hope you can sleep tonight. Put on your American jersey. That’s who you played for today,’” Tancredi said, voice shaking. “I was honest.”

As captain, Sinclair asked Pedersen for an explanation.

“She actually giggled and said nothing,” Sinclair said. “Classy.”

Even coach John Herdman, a man so positively charged he may bleed protons, could not contain himself.

He started out diplomatic: “It is what it is.” Then the emotion began to get hold of him. At one point, he was forced to stop, near tears. By the end, anger was finally surfacing.

“It was taken from them,” Herdman said. “We’ll move on from this. I wonder if (Pedersen) will be able to.”

Afterward, like Tancredi, he couldn’t quite bring himself to leave. His eyes were glassy, his look dazed. He seemed unsteady on his feet. One wonders if disappointment can cause a concussion.

The point he wanted to keep banging on — “To watch the m women just keep getting up was phenomenal. It felt like it was America and the referee against us. … And not to come away with something?”

But they did. There may still be a bronze in this for them, but they’ve already given us the Canadian Olympic team’s defining performance in these Games.

A performance like that cannot be forgotten only because it came in a loss.

We celebrate victories, but we also celebrate classics. If all those great Canadian triumphs we like to talk about — from ’72 onward — were celebrations, this team’s 4-3 loss at the Olympics was Lear on grass. It was Macbeth. It was a great tragedy. Emphasis on “great.”

Canada played the world’s No. 1-ranked team, the double defending gold medallists, a side they had not beaten in 11 years.

And they lost, unfair and unsquare. But they were magnificent.

If there is to be any justice after a largely unjust night, the rest of us will remember and celebrate what happened here.
    stay classy Canada

Indirect kick-no
    Handball-yes

That's coming from someone who played soccer for 12 and has been watching it since 90. It doesn't matter if your arm is next to you and the ball hits your hand, its still a Handball. I
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• awilkinsawilkins Posts: 984
    As a goalkeeper who played 20 years and at a high level:
    -That was not time wasting on the part of McLeod, nor is that ever called if greater than 6 seconds when attempting to play the ball; time is customarily counted from when the gk is up on feet following the save.

-To give an in-direct free kick for that given the time in the game, score, and importance was incorrect. Petty calls like that in game-changing moments are not to be made.

-To call a penalty kick on a point blank one timer blast that hits the players upper arm/shoulder as she's turning to block it and/or not take it in the face is not a handball. That is ball to hand, and is not to be viewed as impeding play, stopping a goal, or a direct abuse of the laws.

-Taken into context the genesis of the shot that led to the ball to hand is the in direct free-kick that shouldn't have existed. Another immediate chance to tie it up should never have happened.

-There was also non-calls on the Americans in the other box that could have been a PK for Canada.

The game was incredible! Both teams played really well, great physical and mental battle with both teams overcoming obstacles and mental roller-coasters. The Canadians were very unlucky to lose, the Americans were lucky to win, they had some calls go their way, some non-calls, and some blatant errors in referee judgment/a possible attempt to have the so-called billed "dream final" of Americans/Japanese.

I am never one to blame a result on account of the ref, however, it is hard to deny the impact the ref had on the outcome of this game.

I am Canadian. I watched the game. I've played the game. This is not a biased opinion. There were also calls missed that the Americans lost out on.

Best of luck to the Americans and Japanese in the final, I'll be cheering for Japan as I'll be watching it with my Japanese-Canadian childhood friend.

Hopefully Canada can finish strong against France.

And, has anyone seen someone as cool, calm, and collected in the box as Sinclair? Wonderful finisher.

And Solo made a great save in the 2nd ET.

Tough loss.

Free kick: no.
    Penalty: no.
    Outcome: who knows.

Edit: And an American telling Canada to "stay classy" is a 'pot calling the kettle black' of epic proportions.
  • Best Olympic event? Womens Beach Volleyball

Worst Olympic event? Mens Beach Volleyball
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • awilkins wrote:
    As a goalkeeper who played 20 years and at a high level:
    -That was not time wasting on the part of McLeod, nor is that ever called if greater than 6 seconds when attempting to play the ball; time is customarily counted from when the gk is up on feet following the save.

-To give an in-direct free kick for that given the time in the game, score, and importance was incorrect. Petty calls like that in game-changing moments are not to be made.

-To call a penalty kick on a point blank one timer blast that hits the players upper arm/shoulder as she's turning to block it and/or not take it in the face is not a handball. That is ball to hand, and is not to be viewed as impeding play, stopping a goal, or a direct abuse of the laws.

-Taken into context the genesis of the shot that led to the ball to hand is the in direct free-kick that shouldn't have existed. Another immediate chance to tie it up should never have happened.

-There was also non-calls on the Americans in the other box that could have been a PK for Canada.

The game was incredible! Both teams played really well, great physical and mental battle with both teams overcoming obstacles and mental roller-coasters. The Canadians were very unlucky to lose, the Americans were lucky to win, they had some calls go their way, some non-calls, and some blatant errors in referee judgment/a possible attempt to have the so-called billed "dream final" of Americans/Japanese.

I am never one to blame a result on account of the ref, however, it is hard to deny the impact the ref had on the outcome of this game.

I am Canadian. I watched the game. I've played the game. This is not a biased opinion. There were also calls missed that the Americans lost out on.

Best of luck to the Americans and Japanese in the final, I'll be cheering for Japan as I'll be watching it with my Japanese-Canadian childhood friend.

Hopefully Canada can finish strong against France.

And, has anyone seen someone as cool, calm, and collected in the box as Sinclair? Wonderful finisher.

And Solo made a great save in the 2nd ET.

Tough loss.

Free kick: no.
    Penalty: no.
    Outcome: who knows.

Edit: And an American telling Canada to "stay classy" is a 'pot calling the kettle black' of epic proportions.

Well said!
    It sucks that the ref had to play a part in such an incredible game. That was definitely one of the best games I've seen in a long time. Both teams battled their asses off, and the Canadian women should hold their heads high for playing such an amazing game. Hopefully they can beat France on Friday for the bronze and the U.S. can get the gold.
    Tell the captain
    'This boats not safe
    And we're drowning.'
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,876
    lukin2006 wrote:
    You really think woman's hockey is competitive! Men's basketball has been won by the USA 13 out of 16 times. 28 countries are sending teams to the word baseball classic! No argument holds up...IMO. Quite simple they dropped it because the Olympics were in Europe.
    Not sure how much more clearly I can explain the IOC's reasoning for you, but that was their reasoning. Had nothing to do with an Olympics being in Europe. The IOC looks forward 16 years at all times and are not enemies of sport. They don't go around knocking out sports because it isn't popular in the next venue.

Sorry you're missing out on Olympic baseball though. You're obviously a fan.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,548
    those jamaicans at 200m are rockets!
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Best Olympic event? Womens Beach Volleyball

:D
    Men's beach volleyball came on and i was like WTF is this shit?!?!
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    intodeep wrote:

:D
    Men's beach volleyball came on and i was like WTF is this shit?!?!
    :lol:
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • chimechime Posts: 7,838
    edited August 2012
    The amazing Brownlee brothers in the triathlon :shock: Gold and bronze ... they would have been fighting it out for gold and silver if Johnny hadn't gotten a 15 second penalty :(

We've now equalled our number of gold medals from Beijing ... which was already a huge jump from Sydney :D

Can we host all the Summer Olympics :P

I travel to and from work every day surronded by people going to/coming from the various events. Everyone is loving it and it's a complete party atmosphere :mrgreen:
    Post edited by chime on
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560

:lol: Well said.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    chime wrote:
    The amazing Brownlee brothers in the triathlon :shock: Gold and bronze ... they would have been fighting it out for gold and silver if Johnny hadn't gotten a 15 second penalty :(

We've now equalled our number of gold medals from Beijing ... which was already a huge jump from Sydney :D

I travel to and from work every day surronded by people going to/coming from the various events. Everyone is loving it and it's a complete party atmosphere :mrgreen:

That's awesome! I can't get enough of it on tv, but to get have the whole experience of being there and caught up in it must be fun.
    chime wrote:
    The amazing Brownlee brothers in the triathlon :shock: Gold and bronze ... they would have been fighting it out for gold and silver is Johnny hadn't gotten a 15 second penalty :(

love it,,i wish i be in london for that...im for pj always..lol

ill check triathlon (greek word btw..) :)

watching some handball
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:
    You really think woman's hockey is competitive! Men's basketball has been won by the USA 13 out of 16 times. 28 countries are sending teams to the word baseball classic! No argument holds up...IMO. Quite simple they dropped it because the Olympics were in Europe.
    Not sure how much more clearly I can explain the IOC's reasoning for you, but that was their reasoning. Had nothing to do with an Olympics being in Europe. The IOC looks forward 16 years at all times and are not enemies of sport. They don't go around knocking out sports because it isn't popular in the next venue.

I know the IOC'S reasoning...like I would believe anything they say. Unfortunately the case made that its not competitive/popular is pretty much BS...women's hockey is not competitive or popular world wide, basketball is not competitive, table tennis is not competitive (china has won 23 gold out of 27)...this is another non sport in the Olympics.

Typical IOC BS...IMO.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
    lukin2006 wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

I know the IOC'S reasoning...like I would believe anything they say. Unfortunately the case made that its not competitive/popular is pretty much BS...women's hockey is not competitive or popular world wide, basketball is not competitive, table tennis is not competitive (china has won 23 gold out of 27)...this is another non sport in the Olympics.

Typical IOC BS...IMO.

Serious question as I know nothing about baseball as we don't really have it here. Basketball and hockey are both more popular. You mention 28 teams. Is there also a viable women's game? With the IOC they will want both men's and women's baseball to be able to attact a large number of countries entering. The only thing allowed to be gender specific is synchro swimming :lol:

I don't think the games being in Europe had anything to do with it. Rugby 7s will be in the next Olympics and I don't think Brazil have much interest :P

An event we won silver in is being dropped from the next Olympics. Windsurfing.
    lukin2006 wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

Typical IOC BS...IMO.
    nop..isnt that way..
    the most of the sports u mention ,table tennis,basketball has national championship world wide
    baseball..i doubt more than 10 countries have it..nothing to do with competitive
    chime wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

Typical IOC BS...IMO.

Serious question as I know nothing about baseball as we don't really have it here. Basketball and hockey are both more popular. You mention 28 teams. Is there also a viable women's game? With the IOC they will want both men's and women's baseball to be able to attact a large number of countries entering. The only thing allowed to be gender specific is synchro swimming :lol:

I don't think the games being in Europe had anything to do with it. Rugby 7s will be in the next Olympics and I don't think Brazil have much interest :P

Other than softball. I don't know if their is a viable woman's league. I almost think that most females would have to play in a boys league. The IOC saying its not popular/competitive is utter non sense...women's hockey is only competitive between the US and Canada...all other countries are not even close, basketball has been won by the US 13 out of 16 times, table tennis?, even men's hockey only 6 teams have realistic shot at Gold.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

lukin2006 wrote:
    chime wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

Typical IOC BS...IMO.

Other than softball. I don't know if their is a viable woman's league. I almost think that most females would have to play in a boys league. The IOC saying its not popular/competitive is utter non sense...women's hockey is only competitive between the US and Canada...all other countries are not even close, basketball has been won by the US 13 out of 16 times, table tennis?, even men's hockey only 6 teams have realistic shot at Gold.

Then not having a women's game will also make it difficult to get baseball back into the Olympics

I think we are talking about different hockey. When we say hockey we mean what you call field hockey. It has had a few different teams win gold. What you guys call hockey we don't really play (known as ice hockey here ;) )
    chime wrote:
    [

Then not having a women's game will also make it difficult to get baseball back into the Olympics

I think we are talking about different hockey. When we say hockey we mean what you call field hockey. It has had a few different teams win gold. What you guys call hockey we don't really play (known as ice hockey here ;) )
    right..when i hear or read hockey,my mind goes to field hockey
    Found this quote from Jacques Rogge:

"To be on the Olympic program is an issue where you need universality as much as possible. You need to have a sport with a following, you need to have the best players and you need to be in strict compliance with WADA (World Anti-Doping Agency). And these are the qualifications that have to be met. When you have all that, you have to win hearts. You can win the mind, but you still must win hearts."

Re players ... were top players stopped from playing?

RE WADA ... I don't know much about baseball but what news did make it here is the doping problems so may be that had something to do with it?

Although "universality" was part of it sounds like there were other issues to.
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    men's field hockey? I just learned there was such a thing. I may need to start a new thread about nonsense sports already in the Olympics.
    chime wrote:

"To be on the Olympic program is an issue where you need universality as much as possible. You need to have a sport with a following, you need to have the best players and you need to be in strict compliance with WADA (World Anti-Doping Agency). And these are the qualifications that have to be met. When you have all that, you have to win hearts. You can win the mind, but you still must win hearts."

RE WADA ... I don't know much about baseball but what news did make it here is the doping problems so may be that had something to do with it?

Although "universality" was part of it sounds like there' were other issues to.

In order for the top players to play the major leagues would have to shou down for at least 2 weeks, that won't happen.

men's field hockey? I just learned there was such a thing. I may need to start a new thread about nonsense sports already in the Olympics.

It's pretty much always been at the Olympics :D ... much longer than the women's game has been :P
    lukin2006 wrote:
    chime wrote:

In order for the top players to play the major leagues would have to shou down for at least 2 weeks, that won't happen.

So may be it's not all the IOC's fault that baseball isn't in the Olympics ;)
    Russian duet at Synchronised Swimming..
    amazing
    it feels weird this Cycling track :?
    beach volley women semifinal

usa vs china
    chime wrote:
    [

I usually forget that field hockey even exists! :lol: When I say hockey, I ALWAYS mean ice hockey... it is the best sport in the history of the world, after all. ;)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    chime wrote:
    [

I usually forget that field hockey even exists! :lol: When I say hockey, I ALWAYS mean ice hockey... it is the best sport in the history of the world, after all. ;)
    ill sent u a pm with my adress...for see this as the best sport,you must have the best drugs ever!!!
    sent me a package!@!! :mrgreen:
    beach volley women semifinal

usa vs china
    amazing game

Walsh kickn ass
    chime wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:
    chime wrote:

So may be it's not all the IOC's fault that baseball isn't in the Olympics ;)
    As i mentioned before, it`s not only that the MLB doesn`t want to shut down mid-season, but also that no team would allow their top players to go and compete and risk injury for games that aren`t even being played for the franchise that pays them millions of dollars a year. The NHL does do this for the winter Olympics, but ice hockey is a huge international sport among winter sports countries, while no one gives enough of a shit around the world for the MLB to risk it.