Penn State

Comments

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    norm wrote:
    cliffy i totally understand for where you come from...i held off on critizing paterno until this report was released hoping that he really didn't know how severe sandusky's actions were...but he did know...fully

the way i see, at psu, the buck ended at paterno...the football program he built made the university a powerhouse in collegiate athletics which helped it grow into a first class university...so everyone from the BoT on down deferred to what joe wanted...and joe wanted to protect his friend jerry...so they did...for 14 years...that can't be looked over...i've lost any respect i had for the man and anyone that will defend him at all

I don't disagree and am not defending his actions in this situation in the least. I would disagree that Paterno was protecting his friend and would argue he was protecting himself and what he built, but I guess that's irrelevant. I'm not defending him in this situation in the least and am not overlooking it at all. Some can argue that the horrible stuff outweighs the good or the good stuff outweighs the bad. I don't really give a shit what outweighs what. I will just see him as doing a lot of great and a lot of horrifically bad. He helped kids like Adam Talifero become men and he contributed to destroying kids lives. I have no problem with people hating him, and expect most will, I am just posting how I feel a reasonable person with ties to the school should look at the situation. There is no defense for what he did.
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    RKCNDY wrote:
    What happens to the Catholic priests that molest/abuse boys?

The priests have 'done so much good' for the church and all, but they also hurt the ones that trusted them the most.

Are they forgiven? Isn't that what confession is about? Confess your sins and all is forgiven?

I feel like I'm missing something here...

Oh God, those cases are even worse. Don't those priests know how hot it is in hell and the devil's poker is mostly on the uncomfortable side?
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    norm wrote:
    cliffy i totally understand for where you come from...i held off on critizing paterno until this report was released hoping that he really didn't know how severe sandusky's actions were...but he did know...fully

the way i see, at psu, the buck ended at paterno...the football program he built made the university a powerhouse in collegiate athletics which helped it grow into a first class university...so everyone from the BoT on down deferred to what joe wanted...and joe wanted to protect his friend jerry...so they did...for 14 years...that can't be looked over...i've lost any respect i had for the man and anyone that will defend him at all

I don't disagree and am not defending his actions in this situation in the least. I would disagree that Paterno was protecting his friend and would argue he was protecting himself and what he built, but I guess that's irrelevant. I'm not defending him in this situation in the least and am not overlooking it at all. Some can argue that the horrible stuff outweighs the good or the good stuff outweighs the bad. I don't really give a shit what outweighs what. I will just see him as doing a lot of great and a lot of horrifically bad. He helped kids like Adam Talifero become men and he contributed to destroying kids lives. I have no problem with people hating him, and expect most will, I am just posting how I feel a reasonable person with ties to the school should look at the situation. There is no defense for what he did.

sorry cliff i didn't mean to imply you were defending him...i know you're not...i was speaking to the larger psu alums that are still trying to parse the info and deflect any blame toward paterno...lavarr arington comes to mind

joe did a lot of good and helped a lot of young men become strong adults through the football program...but it seems to me that's the only young men he cared about...that he (and the bot) allowed sandusky to continue raping boys right under their noses is something that can't be taken away when talking about legacies
    norm wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    norm wrote:

sorry cliff i didn't mean to imply you were defending him...i know you're not...i was speaking to the larger psu alums that are still trying to parse the info and deflect any blame toward paterno...lavarr arington comes to mind

joe did a lot of good and helped a lot of young men become strong adults through the football program...but it seems to me that's the only young men he cared about...that he (and the bot) allowed sandusky to continue raping boys right under their noses is something that can't be taken away when talking about legacies

No worries, man. I just wanted to make it clear.

Yeah, it seems like you're probably right with his priorities. This is certainly part of his legacy and should be.
    I will comment that the only thing I agree with the larger alum on is that Tom Corbett has gotten off scott free.
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    weak people with nothing on the inside make me fucking ill
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    Joe Paterno, at the end, showed more interest in his legacy than Sandusky’s victims

Joe Paterno was a liar, there’s no doubt about that now. He was also a cover-up artist. If the Freeh Report is correct in its summary of the Penn State child molestation scandal, the public Paterno of the last few years was a work of fiction. In his place is a hubristic, indictable hypocrite.

In the last interview before his death, Paterno insisted as strenuously as a dying man could that he had absolutely no knowledge of a 1998 police inquiry into child molestation accusations against his assistant coach Jerry Sandusky. This has always been the critical point in assessing whether Paterno and other Penn State leaders enabled Sandusky’s crimes.

If Paterno knew about ’98, then he wasn’t some aging granddad who was deceived, but a canny and unfeeling power broker who put protecting his reputation ahead of protecting children.

If he knew about ’98, then he understood the import of graduate assistant Mike McQueary’s distraught account in 2001 that he witnessed Sandusky assaulting a boy in the Penn State showers.

If he knew about ’98, then he also perjured himself before a grand jury.

Guilty.

Paterno didn’t always give lucid answers in his final interview conducted with the Washington Post three days before his death, but on this point he was categorical and clear as a bell. He pled total, lying ignorance of the ’98 investigation into a local mother’s claim Sandusky had groped her son in the shower at the football building. How could Paterno have no knowledge of this, I asked him?

“Nobody knew,” he said.

Everybody knew.

Never heard a rumor?

“I never heard a thing,” he said.

He heard everything.

Not a whisper? How is that possible?

“If Jerry’s guilty, nobody found out til after several incidents.”

Paterno’s account of himself is flatly contradicted in damning detail by ex FBI-director Louis Freeh’s report. In a news conference Thursday Freeh charged that Paterno, along with athletic director Tim Curley, university president Graham Spanier and vice president Gary Schultz, engaged in a cover-up, “an active agreement of concealment.”

Paterno was not only aware of the ’98 investigation but followed it “closely” according to Freeh. As did the entire leadership of Penn State. E-mails and confidential notes by Schultz about the progress of the inquiry prove it. “Behavior – at best inappropriate @ worst sexual improprieties,” Schultz wrote. “At min – Poor Judgment.” Schultz also wrote, “Is this opening of pandora’s box?” and “Other children?”

A May 5, 1998 e-mail from Curley to Schultz and Spanier was titled “Joe Paterno” and it says, “I have touched base with the coach. Keep us posted. Thanks.”

A second e-mail dated May 13 1998 from Curley to Schultz is titled “Jerry” and it says, “Anything new is this department? Coach is anxious to know where it stands.”

There is only one aspect in which the Freeh report does not totally destroy Paterno’s pretension of honesty. It finds no connection between the ’98 investigation and Sandusky’s resignation from Paterno’s staff in ’99. The report also suggests that Paterno genuinely believed the police had found no evidence of a crime.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/co ... story.html
    again i gotta say i wonder what the ladies know; as in mrs. paterno & mrs sandusky. that mrs. sandusky is one stupid fucking broad, yes/no? that mrs. paterno sure enjoys the fame & fortune, yes/no?

couple a blind old naive stupid ass bats if ya ask me

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • oona leftoona left Posts: 1,677
    chadwick wrote:
    again i gotta say i wonder what the ladies know; as in mrs. paterno & mrs sandusky. that mrs. sandusky is one stupid fucking broad, yes/no? that mrs. paterno sure enjoys the fame & fortune, yes/no?

I cannot imagine that Sandusky's wife did NOT know. Is she going to be charged as an accessory, or will the state just not even bother?

I read quite a bit after the report was released this morning. It's just unbelievably disgusting. Holy shit.

I did notice that the guy at work who was SO certain a month ago that Joe Paterno "did nothing wrong" was unusually quiet today. Huh, wonder why.
    oona left wrote:
    chadwick wrote:

I cannot imagine that Sandusky's wife did NOT know. Is she going to be charged as an accessory, or will the state just not even bother?

I read quite a bit after the report was released this morning. It's just unbelievably disgusting. Holy shit.

I did notice that the guy at work who was SO certain a month ago that Joe Paterno "did nothing wrong" was unusually quiet today. Huh, wonder why.
    yeah they are all fucking stupid and blind as shit. not one of them has a back bone present. i cannot imagine the under the rug sweeping that has taken place under joe pa's & others' noses.
    mrs. sandusky is just as much a monster as her bunk ass husband. i see no real reason why she shouldn't be jailed her own damn self. mrs. paterno & sons should be picking up debris after & during football games.

everyone is so chicken shit over there in joepa land that it is ridiculous. the monster that is sandusky should have been taken out with a bullet a long fucking time ago. when sandusky finally dies it will be a warmer, much more enjoyable world with a happier sky above us. the grass will actually be greener and songbirds will sing better tweets than before. that is how dark, sick & twisted that scumbag is.

i am looking forward to his passing.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootbal ... -up-071212

Another good article on men v. women and how things may have been different.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • comebackgirlcomebackgirl Posts: 9,885
    As egregious as this coverup is, it's just the tip of the iceberg. These sorts of things happen ALL THE TIME. It may not be to this degree, with this many victims over this many years who are so young, but sadly many many colleges and universities coverup sexual assaults, particularly when an athletic team is involved. The Dear Colleague letter that was issued last year was issued as a result of some investigations into big schools (Notre Dame, Eastern Michigan, Arizona State, University of Colorado at Boulder) trying to cover up sexual assaults by athletes and managing the situations inappropriately. I hope what happened at Penn State will spur other schools to really look at their policies and methods of managing these types of situations and make the changes that are needed. The athletic department at my college is suddenly much more open to sexual assault education for all athletes. That's a good thing, probably precipitated by Penn State. Sadly Penn State is not the only school who has participated in this kind of horror and we're living in denial land if we think it is. There is a ton of work that needs to be done to make a huge culture shift.
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
  • dankinddankind Posts: 20,834
    Scene: The gates of Hell on Jan. 22, 2012

Joe Paterno passes through the gates and is met by Satan.

Satan: Nice to see you, JoePa!

JoePa: Er. Thanks.

Satan: Seriously, man. Truly an honor. Go PSU!!!

JoePa: Fucking Sandusky!

Satan: Well, yeah, that, and God loves the Buckeyes. But don't worry you'll see him soon enough.

JoePa: God?

Satan: No, Sandusky.

JoePa: Oh. Right.

Satan: Yeah ... yeah.... But, hey, your old pal Gerald Ford is here.

JoePa: What? Seriously?

Satan: Yeah, man. And I'm pretty sure George Bush will wind up here when his time comes, which should be any day now.

JoePa: But why?

Satan: Oh, you don't get to be in their position without selling your soul to me. Of course, that means we'll all have to put up with Jimmy Carter when he gets here.

JoePa: Ugh!

Satan: Yeah ... yeah.... That kinda blows. Speaking of blows, I've got someone I want you to meet (puts arm around JoePa and leads him to a corner to meet someone). Karol! Hey, Karol! (Karol turns around, acknowledges Satan and JoePa.)

Satan: (Introducing) Joseph Vincent Paterno, this is Karol Józef Wojtyła; Karol, this is JoePa.

JoePa: (Recognizing Karol) But you're--

Karol: Yeah. I'm--

Satan: That's right! You know him as Pope John Paul II. Here, he's just Karol. All that beatification shit they did on Earth? Yeah, we could give a ratfuck about that!

JoePa: Shit.

Karol: Yeah.

Satan: Yeah. At any rate, you two have a lot in common. I sure you'll find much to talk about. Toodles!

(Satan departs, leaving JoePa and Karol uncomfortably smiling at each other.)

RKCNDY wrote:
    What happens to the Catholic priests that molest/abuse boys?

The priests have 'done so much good' for the church and all, but they also hurt the ones that trusted them the most.

Are they forgiven? Isn't that what confession is about? Confess your sins and all is forgiven?

I feel like I'm missing something here...

Oh God, those cases are even worse. Don't those priests know how hot it is in hell and the devil's poker is mostly on the uncomfortable side?
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,313
    This is all so disgusting. And yes, it happens everywhere.

My own Temple Owls have a guy who was caught with a prostitute, and they have said nothing about removing him from the team. :roll:
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16

My own Temple Owls have a guy who was caught with a prostitute, and they have said nothing about removing him from the team. :roll:
    isn't there big huge difference between two adults, one being a prostitute and one being some guy at temple owls sporting facility vs' some pedophile coach guy messin with kids and starting a foundation for needy children and taking advantage of those kids in a sexual nature?

isn't there some sorta difference here, mr. johnny abruzzo?

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,757
    chadwick wrote:

Classy. Keep up the great work.
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
    DeLukin wrote:
    chadwick wrote:

Classy. Keep up the great work.
    you're welcome. anytime, delukin.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,668
    I have no doubt Paterno's wife knew. They were a close knit family/community there. Giant homemade dinners at the Paternos for all involved after every game. There is no way only 4 people knew about it and kept a lid on it.
    MayDay10 wrote:
    I have no doubt Paterno's wife knew. They were a close knit family/community there. Giant homemade dinners at the Paternos for all involved after every game. There is no way only 4 people knew about it and kept a lid on it.
    thank you

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    norm wrote:
    deflect any blame toward paterno...lavarr arington comes to mind

didn't know he changed his mind...good for him...hope more will...probably will just take time
    “I'll look at the Freeh Report again, and again, and probably again after that,” Arrington said. “I just think that any way, any how, something or someone is related to it, it has to be purged from the institution itself.

"And then they have to do a lot of work to rebuild a tarnished reputation based upon what took place and the lack of action and the failure as an institution to protect children."

:thumbup:
    http://www.statecollege.com/news/local- ... o-1039975/
  • comebackgirlcomebackgirl Posts: 9,885
    chadwick wrote:

isn't there big huge difference between two adults, one being a prostitute and one being some guy at temple owls sporting facility vs' some pedophile coach guy messin with kids and starting a foundation for needy children and taking advantage of those kids in a sexual nature?

There is absolutely a huge difference, but I think it does go to the culture shift I was talking about. If I do something illegal or in violation of my professional code of ethics I would lose my professional license in a heartbeat. Why doesn't the same go for athletes? Why don't they have to toe the same line? Animal abuse, weapons charges, sexual assaults, domestic violence, prostitution, illicit substance use, DUIs...it's all happened and for the most part we're willing to look the other way. I mean no one is walking around wearing a jersey with my name on it or wanting to emulate me or any other professional, yet we're held to a higher professional standard. It doesn't make sense.
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,481
    IMHO, any good that Mr. Paterno did for the world is erased by the current situation.
    The sins of the father
    July 13, 2012
    By Rick Reilly

What a fool I was.

In 1986, I spent a week in State College, Pa., researching a 10-page Sports Illustrated Sportsman of the Year piece on Joe Paterno.

It was supposed to be a secret, but one night the phone in my hotel room rang. It was a Penn State professor, calling out of the blue.

"Are you here to take part in hagiography?" he said.

"What's hagiography?" I asked.

"The study of saints," he said. "You're going to be just like the rest, aren't you? You're going to make Paterno out to be a saint. You don't know him. He'll do anything to win. What you media are doing is dangerous."

Jealous egghead, I figured.

What an idiot I was.

Twenty-five years later, when former Penn State defensive coordinator Jerry Sandusky was accused of a 15-year reign of pedophilia on young boys, I thought Paterno was too old and too addled to understand, too grandfatherly and Catholic to get that Sandusky was committing grisly crimes using Paterno's own football program as bait.

But I was wrong. Paterno knew. He knew all about it. He'd known for years. He knew and he followed it vigilantly.

That's all clear now after Penn State's own investigator, former FBI director Louis Freeh, came out Thursday and hung the whole disgusting canvas on a wall for us. Showed us the emails, read us the interviews, shined a black light on all of the lies they left behind. It cost $6.5 million and took eight months and the truth it uncovered was 100 times uglier than the bills.

Paterno knew about a mother's cry that Sandusky had molested her son in 1998. Later, Paterno lied to a grand jury and said he didn't. Paterno and university president Graham Spanier and vice president Gary Schultz and athletic director Tim Curley all knew what kind of sick coach they had on the payroll in Sandusky. Schultz had pertinent questions. "Is this opening of pandora's box?" he wrote in personal notes on the case. "Other children?" "Sexual improprieties?"

It gets worse. According to Freeh, Spanier, Schultz and Curley were set to call child services on Sandusky in February 2001 until Paterno apparently talked them out of it. Curley wasn't "comfortable" going to child services after that talk with JoePa.

Yeah, that's the most important thing, your comfort.

What'd they do instead? Alerted nobody. Called nobody. And let Sandusky keep leading his horrific tours around campus. "Hey, want to see the showers?" That sentence alone ought to bring down the statue.

What a stooge I was.

I talked about Paterno's "true legacy" in all of this. Here's his true legacy: Paterno let a child molester go when he could've stopped him. He let him go and then lied to cover his sinister tracks. He let a rapist go to save his own recruiting successes and fundraising pitches and big-fish-small-pond hide.

Here's a legacy for you. Paterno's cowardice and ego and fears allowed Sandusky to molest at least eight more boys in the years after that 1998 incident -- Victims 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, 9 and 10. Just to recap: By not acting, a grown man failed to protect eight boys from years of molestation, abuse and self-loathing, all to save his program the embarrassment. The mother of Victim 1 is "filled with hatred toward Joe Paterno," the victim's lawyer says. "She just hates him, and reviles him." Can you blame her?

What a sap I was.

I hope Penn State loses civil suits until the walls of the accounting office cave in. I hope that Spanier, Schultz and Curley go to prison for perjury. I hope the NCAA gives Penn State the death penalty it most richly deserves. The worst scandal in college football history deserves the worst penalty the NCAA can give. They gave it to SMU for winning without regard for morals. They should give it to Penn State for the same thing. The only difference is, at Penn State they didn't pay for it with Corvettes. They paid for it with lives.

What a chump I was.

I tweeted that, yes, Paterno should be fired, but that he was, overall, "a good and decent man." I was wrong. Good and decent men don't do what Paterno did. Good and decent men protect kids, not rapists. And to think Paterno comes from "father" in Italian.

This throws a can of black paint on anything anybody tells me about Paterno from here on in. "No NCAA violations in all those years." I believe it. He was great at hiding stuff. "He gave $4 million to the library." In exchange for what? "He cared about kids away from the football field." No, he didn't. Not all of them. Not when it really mattered.

What a tool I was.

As Joe Paterno lay dying, I actually felt sorry for him. Little did I know he was taking all of his dirty secrets to the grave. Nine days before he died, he had The Washington Post's Sally Jenkins in his kitchen. He could've admitted it then. Could've tried a simple "I'm sorry." But he didn't. Instead, he just lied deeper. Right to her face. Right to all of our faces.

That professor was right, all those years ago. I was engaging in hagiography. So was that school. So was that town. It was dangerous. Turns out it builds monsters.

Not all of them ended up in prison.
    http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/8162 ... rue-legacy
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    Somehow, it seems that he's swept himself under the rug as well.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • CAVSTARR313CAVSTARR313 Posts: 8,756
    Take down the statue, cancel the football, and punish the living.. I hope the dead are suffering someplace..
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
    norm wrote:
    The sins of the father
    July 13, 2012
    By Rick Reilly

What a fool I was.

In 1986, I spent a week in State College, Pa., researching a 10-page Sports Illustrated Sportsman of the Year piece on Joe Paterno.

It was supposed to be a secret, but one night the phone in my hotel room rang. It was a Penn State professor, calling out of the blue.

"Are you here to take part in hagiography?" he said.

"What's hagiography?" I asked.

"The study of saints," he said. "You're going to be just like the rest, aren't you? You're going to make Paterno out to be a saint. You don't know him. He'll do anything to win. What you media are doing is dangerous."

Jealous egghead, I figured.

What an idiot I was.

Twenty-five years later, when former Penn State defensive coordinator Jerry Sandusky was accused of a 15-year reign of pedophilia on young boys, I thought Paterno was too old and too addled to understand, too grandfatherly and Catholic to get that Sandusky was committing grisly crimes using Paterno's own football program as bait.

But I was wrong. Paterno knew. He knew all about it. He'd known for years. He knew and he followed it vigilantly.

That's all clear now after Penn State's own investigator, former FBI director Louis Freeh, came out Thursday and hung the whole disgusting canvas on a wall for us. Showed us the emails, read us the interviews, shined a black light on all of the lies they left behind. It cost $6.5 million and took eight months and the truth it uncovered was 100 times uglier than the bills.

Paterno knew about a mother's cry that Sandusky had molested her son in 1998. Later, Paterno lied to a grand jury and said he didn't. Paterno and university president Graham Spanier and vice president Gary Schultz and athletic director Tim Curley all knew what kind of sick coach they had on the payroll in Sandusky. Schultz had pertinent questions. "Is this opening of pandora's box?" he wrote in personal notes on the case. "Other children?" "Sexual improprieties?"

It gets worse. According to Freeh, Spanier, Schultz and Curley were set to call child services on Sandusky in February 2001 until Paterno apparently talked them out of it. Curley wasn't "comfortable" going to child services after that talk with JoePa.

Yeah, that's the most important thing, your comfort.

What'd they do instead? Alerted nobody. Called nobody. And let Sandusky keep leading his horrific tours around campus. "Hey, want to see the showers?" That sentence alone ought to bring down the statue.

What a stooge I was.

I talked about Paterno's "true legacy" in all of this. Here's his true legacy: Paterno let a child molester go when he could've stopped him. He let him go and then lied to cover his sinister tracks. He let a rapist go to save his own recruiting successes and fundraising pitches and big-fish-small-pond hide.

Here's a legacy for you. Paterno's cowardice and ego and fears allowed Sandusky to molest at least eight more boys in the years after that 1998 incident -- Victims 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, 9 and 10. Just to recap: By not acting, a grown man failed to protect eight boys from years of molestation, abuse and self-loathing, all to save his program the embarrassment. The mother of Victim 1 is "filled with hatred toward Joe Paterno," the victim's lawyer says. "She just hates him, and reviles him." Can you blame her?

What a sap I was.

I hope Penn State loses civil suits until the walls of the accounting office cave in. I hope that Spanier, Schultz and Curley go to prison for perjury. I hope the NCAA gives Penn State the death penalty it most richly deserves. The worst scandal in college football history deserves the worst penalty the NCAA can give. They gave it to SMU for winning without regard for morals. They should give it to Penn State for the same thing. The only difference is, at Penn State they didn't pay for it with Corvettes. They paid for it with lives.

What a chump I was.

I tweeted that, yes, Paterno should be fired, but that he was, overall, "a good and decent man." I was wrong. Good and decent men don't do what Paterno did. Good and decent men protect kids, not rapists. And to think Paterno comes from "father" in Italian.

This throws a can of black paint on anything anybody tells me about Paterno from here on in. "No NCAA violations in all those years." I believe it. He was great at hiding stuff. "He gave $4 million to the library." In exchange for what? "He cared about kids away from the football field." No, he didn't. Not all of them. Not when it really mattered.

What a tool I was.

As Joe Paterno lay dying, I actually felt sorry for him. Little did I know he was taking all of his dirty secrets to the grave. Nine days before he died, he had The Washington Post's Sally Jenkins in his kitchen. He could've admitted it then. Could've tried a simple "I'm sorry." But he didn't. Instead, he just lied deeper. Right to her face. Right to all of our faces.

That professor was right, all those years ago. I was engaging in hagiography. So was that school. So was that town. It was dangerous. Turns out it builds monsters.

Not all of them ended up in prison.
    http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/8162 ... rue-legacy
    wow! nice read

not nice but ............. very much open and out there

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    Caveeze wrote:
    Take down the statue, cancel the football, and punish the living.. I hope the dead are suffering someplace..
    you are even funny when you are not trying to be and when things are serious
    good for you. i about spit my breakfast all over the computer because i had a couple chuckles

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,313
    chadwick wrote:

Yes, obviously. There is a huge difference. Look, I'm not defending anything about Penn St. here. I don't give a shit about Paterno or his legacy or their stupid football team.

I'm still disgusted I'm supposed to pay and go and cheer for this guy next year.

I guess what I'm saying is that I don't want my school to lose its soul the way PSU did.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16