Penn State

davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
edited August 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
Yet, it was reported they had the 2nd highest donations in school history.

:fp:

"An internal probe into the Penn State child sex abuse scandal found that top university officials, including former president Graham Spanier and then-head football coach Joe Paterno, concealed allegations of abuse by ex-assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky to "avoid the consequences of bad publicity."

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/07/12/re ... ?hpt=hp_t1
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I feel for the students, alumi, faculty, community and anyone else who is associated with the school but had nothing to do with the rape culture. The people that did have to do with that culture should be strung up and left to die. This story is more disturbing the more that comes out about it.
    Imagine if you went to Penn State and loved it? I went to USC and am still so involved almost 20 years after graduating. (Course I just moved away so will be less so...) When I got married, 6/7 groomsmen were fraternity brothers from USC....I met my wife at USC....most of my best memories over the past 20 years are involved in some way with the school, people I met there, jobs I got through networking, etc.
    I am sure that my story is a pretty typical one for where people went to college and 'grew up.'
    Now I imagine something so horrible that it makes me ashamed to be associated with that place. And I do feel very badly for the Penn State community on the whole.

Those top fuckers should burn for this. Jo Pa got the easy ride -- I know that will make some people crazy, but I wish that he could have lived for a few more years to truly reflect on what blossomed under his regime and how many kids it messed up in a major way.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,313
    I feel for the students, alumi, faculty, community and anyone else who is associated with the school but had nothing to do with the rape culture.

Which is, you know, about 99.99% of everyone associated with the school.

Not to downplay the horrible things that have been done by the other .01%.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,419
    davidtrios wrote:
    Yet, it was reported they had the 2nd highest donations in school history.

:fp:

"An internal probe into the Penn State child sex abuse scandal found that top university officials, including former president Graham Spanier and then-head football coach Joe Paterno, concealed allegations of abuse by ex-assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky to "avoid the consequences of bad publicity."

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/07/12/re ... ?hpt=hp_t1

the 2nd highest donations in school history is kind of/sort of an innaccurate portrayal of the situation though. yes they did receive the 2nd most amount of money but one person gave over $100 million dollars that was promised to start a Division 1 Mens Hockey program, includuing building a new arena for the team. So it's kind of a skewed stat. it really didn't have anything to do with any support for the university in this situation.

sickenening that no adult thought better than to do as little as possible as they did. i wonder how these guys sleep at night.
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    2001, Paterno didn't want to contact Curley, Shultz, Spanier about issue because he didn't want to "interfere with their weekends."
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    pjhawks wrote:
    sickenening that no adult thought better than to do as little as possible as they did. i wonder how these guys sleep at night.

Its really amazing and pathetic. Everybody involved with this at PSU is just pathetic. I just hope the victims can put this behind them and do their best to live normal lives.
    JK_Livin wrote:
    2001, Paterno didn't want to contact Curley, Shultz, Spanier about issue because he didn't want to "interfere with their weekends."

:fp: :fp:
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,668
    cesspool
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    MayDay10 wrote:
    cesspool
    time to shut it down. I don't know how anyone can support this team/school at all from now on.
    shameful.
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • maj4emaj4e Posts: 605
    I have a couple degrees but I've always been a work all day go to school at night guy. So I don't understand the obsession with one's college years later. But I can't imagine that those donations would be any different at any other major U.
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    Those top fuckers should burn for this. Jo Pa got the easy ride -- I know that will make some people crazy, but I wish that he could have lived for a few more years to truly reflect on what blossomed under his regime and how many kids it messed up in a major way.
    A-fucking-men.
  • maj4e wrote:
    I have a couple degrees but I've always been a work all day go to school at night guy. So I don't understand the obsession with one's college years later. But I can't imagine that those donations would be any different at any other major U.

I donate to my high school but have never donated to USC -- they have enough people throwing huge chunks of money at them; would rather give to the high school where it will have an impact.
    I would not describe being a proud alumnus as an obsession (although clearly some are obsessed) but in my particular case my love for the University has everything to do with the shared connection with my wife and most of my best friends.
  • maj4emaj4e Posts: 605
    Wasn't directed at you my friend, it just got me pondering. :thumbup:
  • maj4e wrote:
    Wasn't directed at you my friend, it just got me pondering. :thumbup:

No worries, I can understand why some people would find it odd.

Sucks for the victims -- and to some extent the Penn State Community as a whole was victimized (in a much different way of course) by the pieces of dogshit that didn't turn in the rapers right away.
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,313
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • ComeToTXComeToTX Posts: 7,755
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • this sums it up

"although concern to treat the child abuser humanely was expressly stated, no such sentiments were ever expressed by university officials, including Paterno and the university president, for Sandusky’s victims."

:(
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,774
    Pedophile
    State
    University

Does everyone see what I did here? I know I know I'm clever

Stop putting people on pedestals, Joe really fucked his legacy up

And to protect a sic bastard, if this was a $$ thing.... So what

This is unforgivable.. I'm sure the JoePa lovers will say he wasn't the one who raped or that it's a conspiracy.

Joe looked like everyones lil grandpa, and I'm not saying he's evil... But you have got to believe an overwhelmingly large part of the population would have done anything to stop it.

And yea this does tarnish everything
  • davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    To even think people could still be defending this place and good old Joe Pa is amazing...the cover up that went on for 14+ years is ridiculous...and all to protect your football team. This was a place that helped create a camp farm ground for child rape....and can they please stop calling it Happy Valley. That's just disgusting.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    I have been thinking for a while about how to respond to all of this...and am still not really sure now. This is incredibly long, something I usually talk shit about.

The report today brought very little new incriminating evidence on Paterno, it seems; more on the culture of Penn State as a whole, which he obviously had a major part of and you could say built. The most damning and troubling new information, to me, is that he knew about the 1998 issue. That is very bad. None of the other stuff is new. I will say, Joe did a hell of a job covering himself, intentionally or not. The other three are quoted all over the place in emails and everything, but his name just comes up in third party accounts. If Curley ever decides to come clean, I am sure he has a hell of a story. I am not minimizing anything that came out, just pointing out that none of it is really new to today.

I haven’t been part of any Paterno discussion since I intentionally gave it up a while back, but I will say that obviously Paterno played some part in covering this up and not letting it get out. How big of a role he played, only a few people know but he obviously knew for a long time what was going on and it was clearly covered up for the sake of the program and embarrassment. Whether it was at his direction or others doing it for him and the program, it obviously doesn’t really matter. It’s not a matter of him reporting it up the chain of command and letting it go as many (including myself) said when it came out.

I am not going to try to defend Paterno and this shouldn’t be taken that way. What he did is indefensible and disgusting. He obviously shouldn’t have worried about his legacy and done what was right, he didn’t and that is unacceptable. He failed to do what he preached when it mattered most.

To me, as someone who has had Penn State as part of their life for as long as they can remember, and have thought about all of this quite a bit over the past 6 months or whatever, I am going to look at it in two ways. I am going to remember Paterno for the good he did and the university he built and I am going to remember him for this. He helped thousands of kids become better people but also allowed kids to be hurt in a horrific way. Unfortunately, there are two sides to the man and hopefully every player that played for him, or every student/kid who looked up to him can learn from the situation. Do what is best/right for the situation, not what is best for you. There is no doubt in my mind that Paterno failed when it mattered most which lead to horrific consequences, but that does not completely erase so much good that was done of the first 33 years. Both need to be remembered and will be.

Paterno is not going to be wiped from the University and doing so would be a fool’s errand. You can take his statue down or their name from the library, but he will never be gone. Personally, I don’t give a shit what happens to Penn State football in the immediate future but I will be there when they do play. I grew up going to Penn State games, there is nothing like tailgating in the grass parking lots on a fall Saturday afternoon with family and friends. We had nothing to do with this so when it comes back, we will be there, while probably slightly more subdued for now.

Sandusky is in jail forever, Curley and Schultz may not be far behind and Paterno is dead. My hope is that everyone can learn from this situation. While it may seem hypocritical, I would say, hopefully people still believe in success with honor, even if the man who preached it didn’t not carry through with his mantra when it mattered most. Success with Honor, especially when it matters most.
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    Cliffy, nice write up. I know Joe did some good, but I will never see that in the foreground again. What's up front is the nature of the crime that occurred under his watch and the things that could've been done.

Bottom line is: Even if Joe had speculation and no hard fact of what was going on, he should’ve investigated and saved those boys. He’s a piece of shit for letting this go.

There's no worse crime than when a victim is a child of a sexual abuse case. These children can be made to believe it is their own fault. The psychological implications are unfathomable. Their lives are forever infected by this...and it could've been avoided.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Cliffy, good thoughts and I feel for you having 'your' university shit on due to the action of a handful of devils. I do hope that there is a lesson taken from this and that people wont try to cover up horrid stuff like this in the future.
    (Unfortunately, human nature being what it is....there are tons of things covered up every day I am sure.)
    Nicely done.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    I have been thinking for a while about how to respond to all of this...and am still not really sure now. This is incredibly long, something I usually talk shit about.

The report today brought very little new incriminating evidence on Paterno, it seems; more on the culture of Penn State as a whole, which he obviously had a major part of and you could say built. The most damning and troubling new information, to me, is that he knew about the 1998 issue. That is very bad. None of the other stuff is new. I will say, Joe did a hell of a job covering himself, intentionally or not. The other three are quoted all over the place in emails and everything, but his name just comes up in third party accounts. If Curley ever decides to come clean, I am sure he has a hell of a story. I am not minimizing anything that came out, just pointing out that none of it is really new to today.

I haven’t been part of any Paterno discussion since I intentionally gave it up a while back, but I will say that obviously Paterno played some part in covering this up and not letting it get out. How big of a role he played, only a few people know but he obviously knew for a long time what was going on and it was clearly covered up for the sake of the program and embarrassment. Whether it was at his direction or others doing it for him and the program, it obviously doesn’t really matter. It’s not a matter of him reporting it up the chain of command and letting it go as many (including myself) said when it came out.

I am not going to try to defend Paterno and this shouldn’t be taken that way. What he did is indefensible and disgusting. He obviously shouldn’t have worried about his legacy and done what was right, he didn’t and that is unacceptable. He failed to do what he preached when it mattered most.

To me, as someone who has had Penn State as part of their life for as long as they can remember, and have thought about all of this quite a bit over the past 6 months or whatever, I am going to look at it in two ways. I am going to remember Paterno for the good he did and the university he built and I am going to remember him for this. He helped thousands of kids become better people but also allowed kids to be hurt in a horrific way. Unfortunately, there are two sides to the man and hopefully every player that played for him, or every student/kid who looked up to him can learn from the situation. Do what is best/right for the situation, not what is best for you. There is no doubt in my mind that Paterno failed when it mattered most which lead to horrific consequences, but that does not completely erase so much good that was done of the first 33 years. Both need to be remembered and will be.

Paterno is not going to be wiped from the University and doing so would be a fool’s errand. You can take his statue down or their name from the library, but he will never be gone. Personally, I don’t give a shit what happens to Penn State football in the immediate future but I will be there when they do play. I grew up going to Penn State games, there is nothing like tailgating in the grass parking lots on a fall Saturday afternoon with family and friends. We had nothing to do with this so when it comes back, we will be there, while probably slightly more subdued for now.

Sandusky is in jail forever, Curley and Schultz may not be far behind and Paterno is dead. My hope is that everyone can learn from this situation. While it may seem hypocritical, I would say, hopefully people still believe in success with honor, even if the man who preached it didn’t not carry through with his mantra when it mattered most. Success with Honor, especially when it matters most.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
    The scary thing is that if they would cover this up, what else was swept under the rug? Unfortunately the Penn State of today will pay for the Penn State from 14 years ago.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    cliffy i totally understand for where you come from...i held off on critizing paterno until this report was released hoping that he really didn't know how severe sandusky's actions were...but he did know...fully

the way i see, at psu, the buck ended at paterno...the football program he built made the university a powerhouse in collegiate athletics which helped it grow into a first class university...so everyone from the BoT on down deferred to what joe wanted...and joe wanted to protect his friend jerry...so they did...for 14 years...that can't be looked over...i've lost any respect i had for the man and anyone that will defend him at all
  • FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    Death Penalty for the football program - immediately. If the NCAA has any remaining credibility, they make this happen effective immediately.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    Cliffy, nice write up. I know Joe did some good, but I will never see that in the foreground again. What's up front is the nature of the crime that occurred under his watch and the things that could've been done.

Bottom line is: Even if Joe had speculation and no hard fact of what was going on, he should’ve investigated and saved those boys. He’s a piece of shit for letting this go.

There's no worse crime than when a victim is a child of a sexual abuse case. These children can be made to believe it is their own fault. The psychological implications are unfathomable. Their lives are forever infected by this...and it could've been avoided.

And that is perfectly fine, I expect most won't and I don't disagree for the most part. What happened is absolutely horrific and could have been stopped if not for self-preservation. It's sick.
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    Penn State should shut down football program

Shut it down. No more football at Penn State. Not for a while, anyway. And please don’t wait to be sanctioned by the NCAA, which moves at a glacial pace.

Now there can be no doubt. The sycophants, enablers, and excuse-makers can go away and stay away. The Penn State Board of Trustees can finally do the right thing and kill the school’s football program. Effective immediately. Football can come back to State College, Pa., someday. Not now.

This is not a hard decision anymore. Nor is it radical. It’s the decent thing to do, after a decade and a half of institutional indecency.

Please. No weeping for the players and coaches who are at Penn State now. We know they did nothing wrong. But they can transfer. Coaches can get jobs at other schools.

Football simply cannot go on after what we heard Thursday from former FBI director Louis Freeh.

Hired by Penn State’s Board of Trustees in the wake of the Jerry Sandusky sex abuse scandal, Freeh concluded that for more than a decade there was total disregard for the safety and well-being of children/victims by the most powerful men at Penn State. And that includes the fabled Joe Paterno.

Penn State needs to give its own football program the death penalty. The pompous NCAA, ever-reluctant to sanction big-revenue, elite members, will eventually figure out what to do about the obvious lack of institutional control in State College, Pa. The Big Ten could also step forward in the wake of Thursday’s disclosures. In the meantime, Penn State needs to stop the nonsense of attempting to play its 2012 season.

The games cannot go on. Playing football this fall would be just another demonstration that the vaunted football program is more important than protecting innocent children. Happy Valley needs some silent Saturdays to ponder how this happened and to make sure nothing like it could ever happen again.

As of this moment, the Nittany Lions are scheduled to open at home against Ohio Sept. 1 at noon. Two weeks later, the United States Naval Academy team is slated to play at Penn State. It’s “Military Appreciation Day.’’ Disgusting. If Penn State doesn’t do the right thing, the Naval Academy should refuse to send its team to State College.

The NCAA, quick to sanction phone calls to recruits or booster-paid tattoos, says Penn State needs to address four key questions regarding institutional control and ethics policies. The collegiate sports governing body says Penn State’s response will help decide what action needs to be taken.

There wasn’t much ambiguity in Freeh’s 267-page report, which was compiled over eight months and included interviews with 430 current or former college employees.

“In order to avoid the consequences of bad publicity, the most powerful leaders at the university . . . repeatedly concealed critical facts relating to Sandusky’s child abuse.’’

The four men cited are former school president Graham B. Spanier, former athletic director Tim Curley, former school vice president Gary Schultz, and the late coach Paterno.

The facts are the facts. With their appalling inaction, grounded in the belief that they were saving football from disgrace, these men allowed child rapes to go undetected and unreported for 14 years after they were first alerted of Sandusky’s crimes. They concealed facts and failed to go to authorities to protect the football program from “bad publicity.’’ They allowed rapes to continue in order to preserve King Football.

Joe Pa brought Penn State 409 wins, five undefeated seasons and two national championships. He put the school on the map and was honored with a statue which stands outside Beaver Stadium. Today it stands as a monument to the worst scandal in the history of college sports. The statue needs to come down.

According to USA Today, donations to Penn State are on the rise since the news of the scandal broke last year. More than 190,000 contributors have donated $209 million, which represents the second-best year in school history. Way to rally. Ya-hoo.

Penn State is going to need a lot of money to settle the lawsuits certain to follow Thursday’s report. Shutting down football for a few years will be another financial hit. No football means no TV money and a drop in alumni pledges.

Too bad. The Nittany Lions need to close shop for a while. No tailgating. No boola-boola. No Homecoming game. No Senior Day. There is no price tag to measure an institution’s lost soul.

http://bostonglobe.com/sports/2012/07/1 ... ml?camp=fb
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    What happens to the Catholic priests that molest/abuse boys?

The priests have 'done so much good' for the church and all, but they also hurt the ones that trusted them the most.

Are they forgiven? Isn't that what confession is about? Confess your sins and all is forgiven?

I feel like I'm missing something here...
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Flagg wrote:
    Death Penalty for the football program - immediately. If the NCAA has any remaining credibility, they make this happen effective immediately.

If my aunt had a dick she'd be my uncle.

NCAA = total joke
    Here is a good article on the bigger picture.
    http://t.co/BXP075Gm
    Tom O.
    -The Writer