***The VIC Fanviews Here, Aug 2, 2007***

cropdustresscropdustress Posts: 4,339
edited August 2007 in Given To Fly (live)
Soundcheck: I Am Mine, Sad, Reign O'er Me, Tremor Christ, Undone, World Wide Suicide, Off He Goes, Parachutes, Education

Pre Set List: Trouble, Dead Man, I used to work in Chicago, Chicago Cubs song, Picture in a Frame

Set List: All or None, Education, Sad, In Hiding, Parachutes, I'm Open, Wishlist, Down, Undone, Off He Goes, Hard To Imagine, God's Dice, World Wide Suicide, Rats, Gone, Why Go

Encore 1: No More, Inside Job, Lowlight, Love Reign O'er Me

Encore 2: Black Diamond (a Kiss song sung by Matt and was dedicated to "Keith" a roadie for Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Neil Young and Ben Harper), Comatose, Sonic Reducer

Encore 3: Indifference with Ben Harper

This thread is reserved for the lucky fans that were there.

Please post your Fanview if you were in attendance.
"I surfaced and all of my being was enlightened"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• jlew24asujlew24asu Posts: 10,118
    you are missing a song after trouble. "I used to work in Chicago"

review? I dont even know where to start. I will post something later when my ears stop ringing.

best song for me was In Hiding
  • cropdustresscropdustress Posts: 4,339
    Thanks, edited it :)

Please, post your thought and feelings when you get the chance. Im dying to hear about it, we all are...
  • voodoopugvoodoopug Posts: 1,011
    After giving this overnight to sink in...what a wonderful night. As a White Sox Fan, I didn't care for the Cubs song, but many appreciate it, so fine....

Ed's opening set was a nice surprise and quite entertaining with Dead Man Walking being the highlight for me.

All or None was a great opener as it threw all of us a curveball and following that by Education (very high energy from the crowd during this one!) was as good as it has gotten for me at a PJ show.

The highlights for me were, in no order, now that I have had time to let it sink in:

1. The quality of fans in the line. I had a great time talking to fans from all over and everyone was very good about holding spots in line when you left for food/water/bathroom/etc. It was also nice to see everyone sharing their food/water.

2. Love Reign O'er Me - This was intense, I don't think I will ever get that feeling again at a show, Boom was on fire and Eddie nailed the vocals to the point where Roger would have tipped his cap.

3. Undone - We were standing right in front of Stone for this one and the band nailed this one. I surely did not expect to here this one.

4. Why Go - Normally not a big favorite of mine, but in between all the Lost Dogs songs, this just seemed to fit nice in the set and the crowd ate it up.

5. Sonic Reducer - high point for crowd energy for the night (with Gods Dice up there too)

6. Black Diamond - I gotta admit, I was a bit worried that this would suck when they couldnt get it started (looked like a problem with Jeff's Bass, but also perhaps with the memory of how to play the song too?), but once it got going, it was a trip, anytime I go to a show and here the debut of a song, its special.

7. Cooperation of the fans near me. it was a pure treat to see the group in our front section holding spots for someone when they ran to the can.

8. Seeing Ryan Dempster drinking and out late the night before a day game. Hopefully he will be hungover and unable to pitch well today as well as have severe "Beer SH*ts" today!

Great time for sure, I will hopefully post some pictures tonite
    There's Pearl Jam, The Rolling Stones, Chuck Berry, Robert Johnson......and then everybody else.
  • Dead Man was second. Then I Used To Work In Chicago and Cubs song.
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    jlew24asu wrote:
    best song for me was In Hiding

seconded. i dont know why they dont play that more. ill try to write something later when im not at work. hehe.
  • jlew24asujlew24asu Posts: 10,118
    Dead Man was second. Then I Used To Work In Chicago and Cubs song.
    yea something like that :)
  • ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,761
    voodoopug wrote:
    After giving this overnight to sink in...what a wonderful night. As a White Sox Fan, I didn't care for the Cubs song, but many appreciate it, so fine....

Ed's opening set was a nice surprise and quite entertaining with Dead Man Walking being the highlight for me.

All or None was a great opener as it threw all of us a curveball and following that by Education (very high energy from the crowd during this one!) was as good as it has gotten for me at a PJ show.

The highlights for me were, in no order, now that I have had time to let it sink in:

1. The quality of fans in the line. I had a great time talking to fans from all over and everyone was very good about holding spots in line when you left for food/water/bathroom/etc. It was also nice to see everyone sharing their food/water.

2. Love Reign O'er Me - This was intense, I don't think I will ever get that feeling again at a show, Boom was on fire and Eddie nailed the vocals to the point where Roger would have tipped his cap.

3. Undone - We were standing right in front of Stone for this one and the band nailed this one. I surely did not expect to here this one.

4. Why Go - Normally not a big favorite of mine, but in between all the Lost Dogs songs, this just seemed to fit nice in the set and the crowd ate it up.

5. Sonic Reducer - high point for crowd energy for the night (with Gods Dice up there too)

6. Black Diamond - I gotta admit, I was a bit worried that this would suck when they couldnt get it started (looked like a problem with Jeff's Bass, but also perhaps with the memory of how to play the song too?), but once it got going, it was a trip, anytime I go to a show and here the debut of a song, its special.

7. Cooperation of the fans near me. it was a pure treat to see the group in our front section holding spots for someone when they ran to the can.

8. Seeing Ryan Dempster drinking and out late the night before a day game. Hopefully he will be hungover and unable to pitch well today as well as have severe "Beer SH*ts" today!

Great time for sure, I will hopefully post some pictures tonite

You pretty much hit the nail on the head there. I was the tall bastard right in front of you, sorry man.

There is no way I could possibly give a fanview of last night because I would have no idea where to start, and when I was finally able to start with a fanview I wouldn't know when to end---it was just that kick ass
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    Sawyer wrote:
    .........but i would equate it to having a child:)

It was THAT painful??? :D
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • SkeeterBSkeeterB Posts: 423
    Sawyer wrote:
    ....nothing jotted in a forum could do this experience justice.......but i would equate it to having a child:)

Agree, nothing jotted could do this experience justice.

However, in the preset with the camera flashing, Ed stopped in mid song of Trouble, mentioned something about being in the disco era and that maybe he should take cocaine. He then said, a better thought....stop the camera flashes.

He also commented that the setlist was made up at 4:30. But, he really didn't do that much talking. In the beginning of Down, it appeared he was looking and singing straight at Jill (since she's supposedly a republican).
    Fighting childhood obesity...
    www.amazingathletes.com/northchi
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    However, in the preset with the camera flashing, Ed stopped in mid song of Trouble, mentioned something about being in the disco era and that maybe he should take cocaine. He then said, a better thought....stop the camera flashes.

From Twisted Twistette: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsXntAULgPk&mode=user&search=
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • shell bellshell bell Posts: 337
    FUCK!!!! This is one of the best sets I've seen in a long time!
    when you get confused just listen to the music play........

"You damn well can't lick the system,but you can sure give it a good fondeling."-sleazy estate man(Hugh Laurie on A bit of Fry and Laurie)

"Judas Priest on a two stroke moped!"(Stephen Fry)
  • voodoopugvoodoopug Posts: 1,011
    You pretty much hit the nail on the head there. I was the tall bastard right in front of you, sorry man.

There is no way I could possibly give a fanview of last night because I would have no idea where to start, and when I was finally able to start with a fanview I wouldn't know when to end---it was just that kick ass

You were not in the way one bit, it was a pleasure to meet you and chat a bit. Glad you enjoyed the show!

Cheers,

John
    There's Pearl Jam, The Rolling Stones, Chuck Berry, Robert Johnson......and then everybody else.
  • luvisatowerluvisatower Posts: 1,078
    i will sum up my experience in one word :
    transcendent

words cannot describe it
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Get it now, get enough, before its gone, let's everybody carry on, carry on....
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    www.wishlistfoundation.org
    WE WANT YOU!!!!
    join the street team
    http://wishlistfoundation.fancorps.com

"headphones are highly recommended...." Jeff Ament
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    Wow . . .

As many have noted, the quality of the fans in line (and inside) was phenomenal.

After standing in 95 degree heat for almost six hours, I was rewarded with getting a spot about 10 feet from the stage on Mike’s side. Right before the band came on, two weasels worked their way into the crowd and stopped right in front of me, completely blocking my view. But the crowd united, got security’s attention, and the dirt bags were ejected . . . very nice!

The energy from the crowd was amazing, and after seeing 18 shows, I have never seen the band as loose, and energized as they were last night. The wives and kids of the bands were seated on the side balconies and the band seemed to be feeding off of their energy and enthusiasm energy.

All for None was a complete surprise! I didn’t even consider it a possibility and was blown away. If All for None was (boxing analogy) the left hook to my kidney’s, then Education was the strong right uppercut to my jaw. After that, I knew we were in for a very special evening.

Sad really seemed to get the crowd going full throttle, but In Hiding was one of the highlights of the show. Mike, as usual, was flying around like a mad man. The crowd was fucking loud. So loud in fact, that Vedder’s vocals were getting overpowered by the fans screaming the lyrics. I took time to look around 360 and was blown away by the positive energy in the room.

The band let the crowd settle down a little (which was nice considering it was like a sauna down on the floor) with the trifecta of Parachutes, I’m Open, and Wishlist, then they revved back up to full-speed with Down.

Undone was performed flawlessly (Gorge had just a small little hiccup).

Ed was extremely intense during Hard to Imagine and the crowd was at full tilt. It seemed like there were several times Mike started to improv at the end of songs, but then he would back off a little as if he wasn’t quite ready to lead the band into uncharted territory.

Rats was very cool and at the end Ed brought out his G.W. Bush mask (which fell off his mic stand and was gobbled up by a lucky fan).

Mike was constantly throwing guitar pics into the crowd which would cause a feeding frenzy of fans crawling around on all fours. Stone, as usual, played as if god only bestowed him with a single pick. (a funny side note – a guy a met afterwards was going throw his camera shots, and one photo he accidentally took while the camera was pointing at the floor revealed a Ed Ved pick next to his foot . . . he had no idea).

Why Go was just plain nuts! After being fed rarities all night, this song seemed to have perfect timing. It was just plain deafening!!!

The encore was nice with Inside Job and Lowlight, but I was completely blown away by Reign O’er Me. For whatever reason, I never downloaded the single or heard it on the radio or listened to the original Who version, so it was a special treat to hear this amazing song live for the first time. I was simply speechless after it was over.

Black Diamond was also just plain nuts to witness. It was like watching the band in a live studio trying to work a song out for the first time. Matt has a “hair band” quality to his vocals and he nailed the song. It was just plain fun to watch.

Sonic Reducer (with a prelude of Comatose) returned the crowd to full frenzy. Ed started to climb the amps as if he was going to jump up to the balcony his family was seated in. I was concerned that the amps were going to topple and crush the fans standing to my left, but Ed quickly retreated back to the stage. He then ran across the stage giving high-fives to everyone in the crowd.

I was 95% certain that Ben Harper would make a surprise visit and I was not disappointed. I have wanted to hear this song live for a long time and they nailed it. The perfect ending to the perfect show.

Thank you to all the cool fans in attendance. I made some good friends (Justin, Ryan, Dave). Thanks for the beers at Trader Joes (I think that was the name of the bar). Thank you to the band for a great show. I’ve been to 18 concerts (including some Santa Barbara ’03 and all of the Gorge shows) and this was hands-down the best concert I’ve ever been to.

Peace.
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,842
    I'm am wondering if I'll ever go to another Pearl Jam show again. This show was that great! The band was on fire and jumpin' around. I don't know how they kept their energy up because I dead tired towards the end of the first set. It was just the perfect show. Pearl Jam just came and played their hearts out. Not a lot of banter. The crowd was great. It was show up, play awesome music, and that's that.

Hearing Matt Cameron sing a song was a big highlight. He has a great voice and it would be cool to let him sing more. Part of it was probably that it was the only song where the crowd didn't drown out the singer. Mike tore into the solo.

I could have left after Trouble. I've been listening to an mp3 of Eddie doing that song for many, many years, and to actually hear it live was awesome! Even with the scolding of the crowd after the first chorus.

To have only 2 songs played off the greatest hits double album was just awesome (Wishlist and Off He Goes at that!).

Got to bed at 2:30 and was on the first tee at 8 for the first of 18 holes. I am tired, but a great start to a long weekend.
  • For being my first PJ show...it was pretty damn awesome!! :)
  • Jason P wrote:
    Wow . . .

As many have noted, the quality of the fans in line (and inside) was phenomenal.

After standing in 95 degree heat for almost six hours, I was rewarded with getting a spot about 10 feet from the stage on Mike’s side. Right before the band came on, two weasels worked their way into the crowd and stopped right in front of me, completely blocking my view. But the crowd united, got security’s attention, and the dirt bags were ejected . . . very nice!

The energy from the crowd was amazing, and after seeing 18 shows, I have never seen the band as loose, and energized as they were last night. The wives and kids of the bands were seated on the side balconies and the band seemed to be feeding off of their energy and enthusiasm energy.

All for None was a complete surprise! I didn’t even consider it a possibility and was blown away. If All for None was (boxing analogy) the left hook to my kidney’s, then Education was the strong right uppercut to my jaw. After that, I knew we were in for a very special evening.

Sad really seemed to get the crowd going full throttle, but In Hiding was one of the highlights of the show. Mike, as usual, was flying around like a mad man. The crowd was fucking loud. So loud in fact, that Vedder’s vocals were getting overpowered by the fans screaming the lyrics. I took time to look around 360 and was blown away by the positive energy in the room.

The band let the crowd settle down a little (which was nice considering it was like a sauna down on the floor) with the trifecta of Parachutes, I’m Open, and Wishlist, then they revved back up to full-speed with Down.

Undone was performed flawlessly (Gorge had just a small little hiccup).

Ed was extremely intense during Hard to Imagine and the crowd was at full tilt. It seemed like there were several times Mike started to improv at the end of songs, but then he would back off a little as if he wasn’t quite ready to lead the band into uncharted territory.

Rats was very cool and at the end Ed brought out his G.W. Bush mask (which fell off his mic stand and was gobbled up by a lucky fan).

Mike was constantly throwing guitar pics into the crowd which would cause a feeding frenzy of fans crawling around on all fours. Stone, as usual, played as if god only bestowed him with a single pick. (a funny side note – a guy a met afterwards was going throw his camera shots, and one photo he accidentally took while the camera was pointing at the floor revealed a Ed Ved pick next to his foot . . . he had no idea).

Why Go was just plain nuts! After being fed rarities all night, this song seemed to have perfect timing. It was just plain deafening!!!

The encore was nice with Inside Job and Lowlight, but I was completely blown away by Reign O’er Me. For whatever reason, I never downloaded the single or heard it on the radio or listened to the original Who version, so it was a special treat to hear this amazing song live for the first time. I was simply speechless after it was over.

Black Diamond was also just plain nuts to witness. It was like watching the band in a live studio trying to work a song out for the first time. Matt has a “hair band” quality to his vocals and he nailed the song. It was just plain fun to watch.

Sonic Reducer (with a prelude of Comatose) returned the crowd to full frenzy. Ed started to climb the amps as if he was going to jump up to the balcony his family was seated in. I was concerned that the amps were going to topple and crush the fans standing to my left, but Ed quickly retreated back to the stage. He then ran across the stage giving high-fives to everyone in the crowd.

I was 95% certain that Ben Harper would make a surprise visit and I was not disappointed. I have wanted to hear this song live for a long time and they nailed it. The perfect ending to the perfect show.

Thank you to all the cool fans in attendance. I made some good friends (Justin, Ryan, Dave). Thanks for the beers at Trader Joes (I think that was the name of the bar). Thank you to the band for a great show. I’ve been to 18 concerts (including some Santa Barbara ’03 and all of the Gorge shows) and this was hands-down the best concert I’ve ever been to.

Peace.

you got someone ejected for moving in front of you at a GA show- A GA show? WTF- mustve been quite boring and stiff up front- ha- what a joke

8/25/00NY, 9/1/00NJ, 4/30/03NY, 7/2&3/03MSG, 7/14/03NJ, 10/13/04 EdW/Boss, 9/24&25/05 St Johns, 5/13/06CT, 5/27&28/06NJ, 6/1/06NJ, 6/3/06NJ, 6/24/06 OH, 7/15-16/06CA, Lolla07, DC, MSGx2, MA1, ED SOLO NYC1&2!
    you got someone ejected for moving in front of you at a GA show- A GA show? WTF- mustve been quite boring and stiff up front- ha- what a joke

I didn't get him ejected. It was about 20 people around me that did.

But I guess you're right though, it was pretty boring. It's a wonder I even bothered attending. (s-a-r-c-a-s-m)
  • JTRJTR Posts: 347
    Dirty Frank and Crazy Mary were on the setlist, but not played.
  • cropdustresscropdustress Posts: 4,339
    BeerBaron wrote:
    I didn't notice Dirty Frank on the setlist that I saw after the show. But the one i say did have Crazy Mary, Light Years and I Got Shit on it.
    Apparently, it was there. Sandra texted me after the show, and told me, and later I found out she got Jeff's setlist, so shed know ;)

How was the show for you, Marcus?
  • yahamitayahamita Posts: 1,514
    Jason P wrote:
    I didn't get him ejected. It was about 20 people around me that did.

But I guess you're right though, it was pretty boring. It's a wonder I even bothered attending.
    This comment just sent me into orbitz!!!! How the fuck can a PJ show be boring? All you haters who didn't enjoy the show, be sure to stay home when they come to the West Coast. Don't waste your time on trying for tickets. Leave it for us fans who would die to have an intimate show like that!
    I knew all the rules, but the rules did not know me...GUARANTEED!

Hail Hail HIPPIEMOM

Wishlist Foundation-
    http://www.wishlistfoundation.org
    info@wishlistfoundation.org
  • pjalive21pjalive21 Posts: 2,818
    Soundcheck: I Am Mine, Sad, Reign O'er Me, Tremor Christ, Undone, World Wide Suicide, Off He Goes, Parachutes, Education

Pre Set List: Trouble, Dead Man, I used to work in Chicago, Chicago Cubs song, Picture in a Frame

Set List: All or None, Education, Sad, In Hiding, Parachutes, I'm Open, Wishlist, Down, Undone, Off He Goes, Hard To Imagine, God's Dice, World Wide Suicide, Rats, Gone, Why Go

Encore 1: No More, Inside Job, Lowlight, Love Reign O'er Me

Encore 2: Black Diamond (a Kiss song sung by Matt and was dedicated to "Keith" a roadie for Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Neil Young and Ben Harper), Comatose, Sonic Reducer

Encore 3: Indifference with Ben Harper

This thread is reserved for the lucky fans that were there.

Please post your Fanview if you were in attendance.

greatest and more rare songs played at a show i have ever seen

words cant describe this show....nor do i think we will every see a show like this again, i feel more blessed now to see this show than anyone before them

a show i will remember for a long time and worth the 6 hours traveling and the 4 standing in line...i got to meet two cool dudes from Milwaukee and a few from Chicago

PS::: TO ALL THE POSTER PUSHERS IN LINE...GET A LIFE!!!! YOU ALL ACTED LIKE YOU WERE GETTING A FREE CRACK ROCK
    yahamita wrote:
    This comment just sent me into orbitz!!!! How the fuck can a PJ show be boring? All you haters who didn't enjoy the show, be sure to stay home when they come to the West Coast. Don't waste your time on trying for tickets. Leave it for us fans who would die to have an intimate show like that!

See edit above
  • after waiting since 700am without a ticket, i got in for the last 2 1/2 songs....i couldn't decide what was worse: not getting in at all, or getting in and realizing how freaking unreal that show was!!! not complaining---SO SO SO glad i made it in, even for a few--they sounded perfect.
    Need a tour Travel Agent??? Pick me :-)

Whatever you are, be a good one --Lincoln
  • voodoopug wrote:

Dempster pitches the ninth inning in a tie game the day after partying at the Vic...

and gives up four runs.

How do those Coronas taste now, Ryan?
  • Crazy setlist. Anyone know the lyrics to the Cubs song, or who it's by? thanks!
    Change don't come at once, it's a wave, building before it breaks.
  • Will the rest of us who didnt get to go be able to buy a boot of this show do you think?
    |9.5.93Gorge|2.6.95Moore|5.7.98AROSpace|7.21.98Seattle|7.22.98Seattle|10.21.00PHX|11.5.00Seattle
    |11.6.00Seattle|6.6.03Vegas|6.7.03PHX|5.25.06Boston|7.22.06Gorge|7.23.06Gorge|9.21.09Seattle|9.22.09Seattle |10.6.09LA|11.19.13PHX|11.29.13Portland|12.6.13Seattle |10.22.14Denver| 8.8.18 Seattle | 8.10.18 Seattle

EV Solo |7.15.11 Benaroya|7.16.11 Benaroya|4.13.12PHX|10.30.14Redmond|
    TOTD 11.11.16 San Fran
  • Jason P wrote:
    See edit above

HA. I thought he edited your "s a r c a s m" out just to fuck with you. I hate to sound like a dick but how could he have not known it was sarcasm??
    Left the Porch
  • Crazy setlist. Anyone know the lyrics to the Cubs song, or who it's by? thanks!

I was pretty sure Ed said he wrote it.
    Left the Porch
    HA. I thought he edited your "s a r c a s m" out just to fuck with you. I hate to sound like a dick but how could he have not known it was sarcasm??

I'm not sure . . . anyway, I had a great time at the show. I really hope they make a boot available for the masses. This show deserves to be shared.

Peace.