Official Neil Young Thread

1568101184

Comments

  • wpg pearlwpg pearl Posts: 1,258
    Pre ordered mine today...... :D
    ajb
  • samjamsamjam New YorkPosts: 9,283
    So much of Neil's music is perfect fall music!
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    samjam wrote:
    So much of Neil's music is perfect fall music!

    and winter, summer and spring :lol:

    seriosuly.. yes I agree. feel like everybody knows it's knowhere is perfect
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

    Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

    I love you forever and forever :)

    Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    listening to the new album as I type 8-)
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

    Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

    I love you forever and forever :)

    Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • morellomorello Auckland, New ZealandPosts: 6,191
    One day until Psychedelic Pill is in my local!!!!!!!! :D

    && in an e-mail this morning:
    "TODAY at Noon PT, Neil Young will personally be answering fan questions via Twitter for one hour about his upcoming album Psychedelic Pill and more! Head over to NeilYoung.com at noon to ask your questions." if anyone's interested. :)
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011
  • morellomorello Auckland, New ZealandPosts: 6,191
    Picked up Psychedelic Pill today!! I fucked up & had to get it on CD instead of vinyl as the vinyl isn't here yet but I know what I'll be spinning tonight!!!!! :D
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,197
    Gonna give this a listen tomorrow.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    listened to it more then a few times now and it's the best thing neil young has done since.. well his hey day.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

    Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

    I love you forever and forever :)

    Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowherePosts: 4,715
    Picked the cd up this morning - I'm not getting much work done today...
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

    “Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • morellomorello Auckland, New ZealandPosts: 6,191
    I'm spinning now & liking. Driftin Back is like a meditation. You just get lost in the music. I did anyway. I like the stories he's telling, or comments he's making with the lyrics. :)
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011
  • wpg pearlwpg pearl Posts: 1,258
    is the vinyl out now? mine is pre ordered but don t come till next month
    ajb
  • ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    morello wrote:
    I'm spinning now & liking. Driftin Back is like a meditation. You just get lost in the music. I did anyway. I like the stories he's telling, or comments he's making with the lyrics. :)

    yes it's epic.. you do get lost in it infact the whole album seems to merge into one for me.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

    Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

    I love you forever and forever :)

    Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • jjflashjjflash Posts: 3,882
    Saw him play Tuscaloosa, AL last nite (third row...woot!). Terrific show accompanied by perfect weather at the outdoor venue. Neil was in good spirits and at times goofed around on stage w/ Billy w/ Billy mock-kicking him in the butt. The stage crew were dressed in lab coats....ever seen that before? ;)....and came out during one interlude dressed in rain coats as a faux storm soaked the stage. Songs ranged from old to new. The new Crazy Horse jams were extended and awesome. The stage setup had the foursome concentrated in middle of the stage and during the long jams the arrangement seemed to help promote the spontaneity. They even dusted off 'Mr. Soul' from Buffalo Springfield's catalog for someone in the audience who'd "been around for a while." At one point Neil said with a smirk, "This song's for me......this note's for me", and then broke into 'Fuckin' Up'. I've never heard live PJ cover it which made it even better to hear it from the master himself. Poncho looked like he was ready for a long nap by half way thru the show but it did not seem to affect his flow. Alabama Shakes nailed it as openers and set the tone for a great evening....so glad to catch these guys (second time!) early in their career.
  • morellomorello Auckland, New ZealandPosts: 6,191
    wpg pearl wrote:
    is the vinyl out now? mine is pre ordered but don t come till next month
    Vinyl's out late November i think.
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011
  • morellomorello Auckland, New ZealandPosts: 6,191
    ^^^ thanks for the review jjflash. Sounds great. Lucky you. :)
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011
  • ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    jjflash wrote:
    Saw him play Tuscaloosa, AL last nite (third row...woot!). Terrific show accompanied by perfect weather at the outdoor venue. Neil was in good spirits and at times goofed around on stage w/ Billy w/ Billy mock-kicking him in the butt. The stage crew were dressed in lab coats....ever seen that before? ;)....and came out during one interlude dressed in rain coats as a faux storm soaked the stage. Songs ranged from old to new. The new Crazy Horse jams were extended and awesome. The stage setup had the foursome concentrated in middle of the stage and during the long jams the arrangement seemed to help promote the spontaneity. They even dusted off 'Mr. Soul' from Buffalo Springfield's catalog for someone in the audience who'd "been around for a while." At one point Neil said with a smirk, "This song's for me......this note's for me", and then broke into 'Fuckin' Up'. I've never heard live PJ cover it which made it even better to hear it from the master himself. Poncho looked like he was ready for a long nap by half way thru the show but it did not seem to affect his flow. Alabama Shakes nailed it as openers and set the tone for a great evening....so glad to catch these guys (second time!) early in their career.

    great.. glad you enjoyed it.. jealous as hell.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

    Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

    I love you forever and forever :)

    Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,197
    First song is almost longer than Backspacer.

    Is Neil pimping out his new audio format in Driftin Back?
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • BrainOfMABrainOfMA Posts: 553
    love the new album! keep on rockin Neil
    2013 : London, Buffalo
    _____________________________
    It makes much more sense, to live
    In the present tense
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    jjflash wrote:
    Saw him play Tuscaloosa, AL last nite (third row...woot!). Terrific show accompanied by perfect weather at the outdoor venue. Neil was in good spirits and at times goofed around on stage w/ Billy w/ Billy mock-kicking him in the butt. The stage crew were dressed in lab coats....ever seen that before? ;)....and came out during one interlude dressed in rain coats as a faux storm soaked the stage. Songs ranged from old to new. The new Crazy Horse jams were extended and awesome. The stage setup had the foursome concentrated in middle of the stage and during the long jams the arrangement seemed to help promote the spontaneity. They even dusted off 'Mr. Soul' from Buffalo Springfield's catalog for someone in the audience who'd "been around for a while." At one point Neil said with a smirk, "This song's for me......this note's for me", and then broke into 'Fuckin' Up'. I've never heard live PJ cover it which made it even better to hear it from the master himself. Poncho looked like he was ready for a long nap by half way thru the show but it did not seem to affect his flow. Alabama Shakes nailed it as openers and set the tone for a great evening....so glad to catch these guys (second time!) early in their career.
    I was a bunch of rows behind 'ya..... My first Neil Young show and my first at that venue.....enjoyed both. Neil and I both were intrigued by one particular aspect of the venue.....the very long train trestle right next to it.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,457
    I'm only 3/4 through Drifting Back and I'm hooked. This song is mesmerizingly amazing. Best new Neil song I've heard in...a LONG time. If the album keeps up the pace, this may be my album of the year. :o
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    __________________________________________________________
    Shameless beer-related plugs:
    Instagram/Twitter/Untappd: FtMyersBeerGuy
  • adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,457
    adam42381 wrote:
    I'm only 3/4 through Drifting Back and I'm hooked. This song is mesmerizingly amazing. Best new Neil song I've heard in...a LONG time. If the album keeps up the pace, this may be my album of the year. :o
    Okay, I'm closing in on the finish of the album. This is just incredible. Neil and Crazy Horse are at the top of their game. I'm listening to For The Love of Man and I can't help thinking it's a hybrid of Neil/Donovan/Velvet Underground. Just a beautiful piece of music.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    __________________________________________________________
    Shameless beer-related plugs:
    Instagram/Twitter/Untappd: FtMyersBeerGuy
  • ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    adam42381 wrote:
    adam42381 wrote:
    I'm only 3/4 through Drifting Back and I'm hooked. This song is mesmerizingly amazing. Best new Neil song I've heard in...a LONG time. If the album keeps up the pace, this may be my album of the year. :o
    Okay, I'm closing in on the finish of the album. This is just incredible. Neil and Crazy Horse are at the top of their game. I'm listening to For The Love of Man and I can't help thinking it's a hybrid of Neil/Donovan/Velvet Underground. Just a beautiful piece of music.

    I'm as excited as you're about this. it's everything I love about NY & ch plus a lot more... maybe my fav album of the year.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

    Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

    I love you forever and forever :)

    Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • MissPennyLaneMissPennyLane Redondo Beach, CAPosts: 617
    I just bought his new book, can't wait to dive in!
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowherePosts: 4,715
    I've been listening to this a lot over the weekend and it just gets better and better. Definitely one of the albums of the year.

    It got me thinking, how would you rank the Neil Young & Crazy Horse albums? To keep it simple, I stuck to the 11 studio albums and only included albums credited to Neil and The Horse (e.g. not After The Goldrush even though they're all on there)

    Right now I'd go with this, but I've got a feeling Psychedelic Pill could be Top 5 (or even Top 4) soon:

    1. Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere
    2. Rust Never Sleeps
    3. Zuma
    4. Ragged Glory
    5. Sleeps With Angels
    6. Psychedelic Pill
    7. Americana
    8. Broken Arrow
    9. Greendale
    10. Re-Ac-Tor
    11. Life

    How would you rank them?
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

    “Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    goldrush wrote:
    I've been listening to this a lot over the weekend and it just gets better and better. Definitely one of the albums of the year.

    It got me thinking, how would you rank the Neil Young & Crazy Horse albums? To keep it simple, I stuck to the 11 studio albums and only included albums credited to Neil and The Horse (e.g. not After The Goldrush even though they're all on there)

    Right now I'd go with this, but I've got a feeling Psychedelic Pill could be Top 5 (or even Top 4) soon:

    1. Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere
    2. Rust Never Sleeps
    3. Zuma
    4. Ragged Glory
    5. Sleeps With Angels
    6. Psychedelic Pill
    7. Americana
    8. Broken Arrow
    9. Greendale
    10. Re-Ac-Tor
    11. Life

    How would you rank them?

    pretty good wouldn't chamge much...
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

    Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

    I love you forever and forever :)

    Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,215
    Well i got up this morning and purchased the album on itunes. I only listen to it on my drive into work and it is only a 15 minute drive sooooooo I've only heard a little over half of the first song :lol:

    with that in mind i like what i've heard :D

    As for the horse albums

    Zuma
    Rust Never Sleeps
    Ragged Glory
    Sleeps With Angels
    Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere
    Greendale
    Broken Arrow
    Re-Ac-Tor
    Americana
    Life

    haven't finished Pill yet so i left it out. I love songs on EKTiN but some of the songs i don't like much at all so its a little lower than some may have it. There is a drop off for me after Broken Arrow the last three don't do much for me outside of a few songs.

    Neil is a busy man this year two albums, a book, and the journy dvd whew
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
  • vant0037vant0037 Posts: 5,277
    tybird wrote:
    jjflash wrote:
    Saw him play Tuscaloosa, AL last nite (third row...woot!). Terrific show accompanied by perfect weather at the outdoor venue. Neil was in good spirits and at times goofed around on stage w/ Billy w/ Billy mock-kicking him in the butt. The stage crew were dressed in lab coats....ever seen that before? ;)....and came out during one interlude dressed in rain coats as a faux storm soaked the stage. Songs ranged from old to new. The new Crazy Horse jams were extended and awesome. The stage setup had the foursome concentrated in middle of the stage and during the long jams the arrangement seemed to help promote the spontaneity. They even dusted off 'Mr. Soul' from Buffalo Springfield's catalog for someone in the audience who'd "been around for a while." At one point Neil said with a smirk, "This song's for me......this note's for me", and then broke into 'Fuckin' Up'. I've never heard live PJ cover it which made it even better to hear it from the master himself. Poncho looked like he was ready for a long nap by half way thru the show but it did not seem to affect his flow. Alabama Shakes nailed it as openers and set the tone for a great evening....so glad to catch these guys (second time!) early in their career.
    I was a bunch of rows behind 'ya..... My first Neil Young show and my first at that venue.....enjoyed both. Neil and I both were intrigued by one particular aspect of the venue.....the very long train trestle right next to it.

    Soooooo jealous. I'm dying to catch a show, but there's just nothing I can swing on this tour.

    Glad you had an awesome time!
    1998-06-30 Minneapolis
    2003-06-16 St. Paul
    2006-06-26 St. Paul
    2007-08-05 Chicago
    2009-08-23 Chicago
    2009-08-28 San Francisco
    2010-05-01 NOLA (Jazz Fest)
    2011-07-02 EV Minneapolis
    2011-09-03 PJ20
    2011-09-04 PJ20
    2011-09-17 Winnipeg
    2012-06-26 Amsterdam
    2012-06-27 Amsterdam
    2013-07-19 Wrigley
    2013-11-21 San Diego
    2013-11-23 Los Angeles
    2013-11-24 Los Angeles
    2014-07-08 Leeds, UK
    2014-07-11 Milton Keynes, UK
    2014-10-09 Lincoln
    2014-10-19 St. Paul
    2014-10-20 Milwaukee
    2016-08-20 Wrigley 1
    2016-08-22 Wrigley 2
    2018-06-18 London 1
    2018-08-18 Wrigley 1
    2018-08-20 Wrigley 2
  • vant0037vant0037 Posts: 5,277
    http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/172 ... elic-pill/

    I ALWAYS read Pitchfork with a bit of a grain of salt or jaundiced eyed (or whatever metaphor you want to use), because they tend to crap on anything that isn't ethereal fuzz rock. I haven't picked up Psychedelic Pill yet, so it will be interesting to see how it sounds. But when even Pitchfork says "Walk Like A Giant" is easily the best Crazy Horse studio track since Ragged Glory, I'm excited as hell.

    Having consciously avoided any pre-release leaked songs from this one, I can't wait to hear it.
    1998-06-30 Minneapolis
    2003-06-16 St. Paul
    2006-06-26 St. Paul
    2007-08-05 Chicago
    2009-08-23 Chicago
    2009-08-28 San Francisco
    2010-05-01 NOLA (Jazz Fest)
    2011-07-02 EV Minneapolis
    2011-09-03 PJ20
    2011-09-04 PJ20
    2011-09-17 Winnipeg
    2012-06-26 Amsterdam
    2012-06-27 Amsterdam
    2013-07-19 Wrigley
    2013-11-21 San Diego
    2013-11-23 Los Angeles
    2013-11-24 Los Angeles
    2014-07-08 Leeds, UK
    2014-07-11 Milton Keynes, UK
    2014-10-09 Lincoln
    2014-10-19 St. Paul
    2014-10-20 Milwaukee
    2016-08-20 Wrigley 1
    2016-08-22 Wrigley 2
    2018-06-18 London 1
    2018-08-18 Wrigley 1
    2018-08-20 Wrigley 2
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    vant0037 wrote:
    http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/17213-psychedelic-pill/

    I ALWAYS read Pitchfork with a bit of a grain of salt or jaundiced eyed (or whatever metaphor you want to use), because they tend to crap on anything that isn't ethereal fuzz rock. I haven't picked up Psychedelic Pill yet, so it will be interesting to see how it sounds. But when even Pitchfork says "Walk Like A Giant" is easily the best Crazy Horse studio track since Ragged Glory, I'm excited as hell.

    Having consciously avoided any pre-release leaked songs from this one, I can't wait to hear it.
    It was an epic tune when they played it live.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    vant0037 wrote:
    http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/17213-psychedelic-pill/

    I ALWAYS read Pitchfork with a bit of a grain of salt or jaundiced eyed (or whatever metaphor you want to use), because they tend to crap on anything that isn't ethereal fuzz rock. I haven't picked up Psychedelic Pill yet, so it will be interesting to see how it sounds. But when even Pitchfork says "Walk Like A Giant" is easily the best Crazy Horse studio track since Ragged Glory, I'm excited as hell.

    Having consciously avoided any pre-release leaked songs from this one, I can't wait to hear it.

    I would have given it a score of 8.5/10.. it's that good.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

    Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

    I love you forever and forever :)

    Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
Sign In or Register to comment.