Options

Canadian Politics

Comments

• Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    I'm thinking he's stepping down because shit was about to hit the fan...whoever they elect as leader will likely come from someone well connected within party circles...I'm sure Duncan will be running and he's about as old school liberal as you get.

Doesn't change anything "the damage is done". I am going to be more interested in the editorials and people's comment in regards to him proroguing the legislature. I remember when Harper did it people writing editorial columns had a field day...not to mention the people commenting in newspapers, online etc..

Of course the media will somehow spin it favourably for Dalton...even though it looks more like he's trying to protect the energy minister. Just for the record...I didn't care that Harper did it and it doesn't much bother me that Dalton's doing it...its a tool at their disposal and their just using it...i'm more interested to see how the media portrays it.

It shall be interesting times in Ontario...most likely spring election...
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    lukin2006 wrote:
    I'm thinking he's stepping down because shit was about to hit the fan...whoever they elect as leader will likely come from someone well connected within party circles...I'm sure Duncan will be running and he's about as old school liberal as you get.

Doesn't change anything "the damage is done". I am going to be more interested in the editorials and people's comment in regards to him proroguing the legislature. I remember when Harper did it people writing editorial columns had a field day...not to mention the people commenting in newspapers, online etc..

Of course the media will somehow spin it favourably for Dalton...even though it looks more like he's trying to protect the energy minister. Just for the record...I didn't care that Harper did it and it doesn't much bother me that Dalton's doing it...its a tool at their disposal and their just using it...i'm more interested to see how the media portrays it.

dude ... those are two different situations ... harper prorogued the gov't because he was going to have a vote of no-confidence ... mcguinty is doing it so there is time to elect a new leader ... what else is he supposed to do? ... continue to lead as a lame duck premier and ultimately get nothing done? ... that makes no sense ...

if it's duncan or bentley - it will pretty much be par for the course ...

i know you hate the guy but i would give him a C+ for his time ... ultimately, it is near impossible to govern in a way that is going to make everyone happy and people these days don't evaluate critically or objectively ...
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

dude ... those are two different situations ... harper prorogued the gov't because he was going to have a vote of no-confidence ... mcguinty is doing it so there is time to elect a new leader ... what else is he supposed to do? ... continue to lead as a lame duck premier and ultimately get nothing done? ... that makes no sense ...

if it's duncan or bentley - it will pretty much be par for the course ...

i know you hate the guy but i would give him a C+ for his time ... ultimately, it is near impossible to govern in a way that is going to make everyone happy and people these days don't evaluate critically or objectively ...

Really...since Bentley is facing contempt charges...one could say he is protecting his friend...but what do the rest of us know...some of us are just mere mortals on the amt.

And actually I hate all politicians...they leach off the productivity of others.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

• Options
    lukin2006 wrote:
    Really...since Bentley is facing contempt charges...one could say he is protecting his friend...but what do the rest of us know...some of us are just mere mortals on the amt.

And actually I hate all politicians...they leach off the productivity of others.

actually ... in retrospect ... it's quite possible the prorogation was to cover up some other scandal ... in the end, it will come out ... it was really weird listening to janet ecker praise the premier this morning ...
  • Options
    In all likelihood he knew he could not win the next election...the names I've heard for leadership are...Duncan, Mathews and Bentley as front runners...so if that's true its the same old anyway.

• Options
    http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/201 ... successor/

Scott Stinson: McGuinty silences legislature in parting gift to his successor

When Dalton McGuinty announced last night at around 6:30 p.m. that he had asked the Lieutenant-Governor to prorogue the provincial legislature, the instant reaction was: guess he’s not quitting.

Prorogation is a big deal, big enough to have warranted the surprise evening caucus meeting, big enough to have merited calling the media in to the government caucus room to witness the premier’s remarks.

Then he went and quit anyway. Coupled with the cleverly timed leaks from Liberal insiders that speculated about a possible McGuinty run for the federal party leadership, it was enough to distract most of the attention from the prorogation itself.

Shutting down the legislature, which is what the move does, is worrisome in its own right for what it says about the importance of our elected representation. If the thing can just be shuttered and the government left to chug along in the hands of the bureaucracy, then why did we have that election only a year ago?

The response from provincial Liberal supporters is, not surprisingly, almost exactly the same as the response from federal Conservatives back when Stephen Harper sought and obtained a prorogation in 2011 (and before that, in 2008). They say the minority government is unworkable, and so best to close it down and sort things out, then bring it back when the air is clear and we can all get on with our business. Opposition politicians are outraged that they are now being prevented from doing any work — and no less outraged that the prorogation allows the government of the day, as was the case federally, to elude further scrutiny of scandals at the committee.

Fans of irony will note that the cheerleaders of one side have more or less switched teams this time around (with the exception of the NDP, which is outraged all around.) It’s been suggested to me that it’s unfair to lump Dalton McGuinty in with Stephen Harper, however, because there are clear differences with the Ontario premier’s situation. He’s not planning to survive the prorogation, for one, and there’s no immediate election in the offing.

Both these arguments are true, but I don’t see how they reflect better on the premier. Whatever one wants to say about the affront to democracy caused by the last prorogation on Mr. Harper’s watch, he at least staked his government and his job on the outcome of the ensuing election, although it didn’t immediately follow it. Canadians had an opportunity to reject his justifications for it and put someone else in charge; instead they handed him a majority government.

Ontario voters have no such opportunity. Mr. McGuinty’s wish, explained Monday night, is that it will be up to whomever replaces him as premier to bring the legislature back. That could be several months from now: the Ontario Liberals have to determine how and when to hold a leadership race that is coming out of nowhere first.

In the meantime, the scandals that have been front and centre in the Liberals’ terrible fall will not be fully explored. This can’t be emphasized enough: it is possible that the government position on the cancellation of two gas plants has been fully explained, but there is more than enough reason to believe that further embarrassments would have been unveiled by a Finance Committee probe of the affair. The final cost to taxpayers could be revealed as far higher than the $230-million cited by the Liberals. And the amount of political influence on the decision could be firmly established as wide and deep.

Mr. McGuinty said last night he was motivated simply by a decision to spend more time with his family and a desire to see his party begin an important renewal process.

It’s an altogether too innocuous explanation for a prorogation that is a deeply cynical move.

National Post

• Options
    lukin2006 wrote:
    In all likelihood he knew he could not win the next election...the names I've heard for leadership are...Duncan, Mathews and Bentley as front runners...so if that's true its the same old anyway.

thing is they just had a leadership review where he got the thumbs up ...

yeah ... fuck those guys ... we're screwed ... maybe gerard kennedy will run ... he's basically useless in federal politics ...
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

thing is they just had a leadership review where he got the thumbs up ...

yeah ... fuck those guys ... we're screwed ... maybe gerard kennedy will run ... he's basically useless in federal politics ...

Unless Gerard Kennedy has learned French he'll likely always be a backbencher in Federal politics. The question would be does he want to come back to provincial politics and possibly sit in opposition or even third party status? Not to mention clean up a mess that was not his making. Or would he rather take his chances that the Federals Liberals under a new leader is on their way up.

The biggest problem for whoever takes over is the mess he's created with the education unions and now public sector unions in general. I think we saw the future with the results in Kitchener-Waterloo...the teachers mobilized their and the got the NDP elected. I said it before the teachers played a major part in Rae's downfall, Harris's downfall and now McGuinty's downfall.

The teachers are a political bunch...they don't just vote...they spend money on advertising...they take time off to canvass...they are very politically active.

Whether anyone thinks they deserve the pay and perks they get...they do and work hard to keep what they got.

• Options
    Dalton McGuinty’s resignation: Jockeying under way to be Ontario’s next premier

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/poli ... xt-premier

• Options
    Kel VarnsenKel Varnsen Posts: 1,951

Isn't it basically the same thing. I mean what would happen if the ontario legislature were to start without the Liberals having a new leader, and a vote of no confidence was called, and the government fell?

Plus there was an interesting article on the front of the Ottawa citizen today about how there are over 100 bills that are before the legislature working there way through right now that are basically going to be cancelled and will have to be reintroduced when the government starts up again. Plus there are a number of committee investigations that are going to halt. It sounds kind of messed up how many issues this could cause.
  • Options

Isn't it basically the same thing. I mean what would happen if the ontario legislature were to start without the Liberals having a new leader, and a vote of no confidence was called, and the government fell?

Plus there was an interesting article on the front of the Ottawa citizen today about how there are over 100 bills that are before the legislature working there way through right now that are basically going to be cancelled and will have to be reintroduced when the government starts up again. Plus there are a number of committee investigations that are going to halt. It sounds kind of messed up how many issues this could cause.

It is the same thing...Harper why trying to save his manority government, and basically McGuinty trying to save the liberal minority. I think their is a lot more to these cancelled gas plants than where being told and he's keeping it from us. The one difference when Harper did it is it was just weeks, I'm reading the Ontario legislature will not be sitting for months, so we're paying these politicians to do nothing...not even sit their and yell at each.

Once again I really don't care if its prorogued...politicians are pretty much the useless profession on the planet...

• Options

yeah ... i sort of retracted it or at the very least qualified my initial response ... the prorogation sucks and i have no doubt that a lot of it has to stem from some investigations but there is no way the legislature would have worked once he said he was gonna resign ...
  • Options
    byttermanbytterman Posts: 136

Wasn't the Legislature hung (or about to be) over the public-sector freeze? My reading is that his government was awfully close to falling on that alone, although certainly don't doubt that there are unknown unknowns (sic) at play. Could be a fun few months with both the ON and Federal liberals on the leadership hunt.
  • Options
    harper is destroying this country ... his disdain for democracy is clear as mud and whatever fear mongering there was prior to his majority is far worse than ever expected ...

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/poli ... servatives
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:
    harper is destroying this country ... his disdain for democracy is clear as mud and whatever fear mongering there was prior to his majority is far worse than ever expected ...

As soon as this line came up in the article...the article became bogus.

"It streamlines the building of a bridge across the Detroit River by eliminating any environmental restrictions".

The bridge he is referring to has completed all environmental assessments on both sides of the border. Don't let the facts stand in the way of getting your article out. If he didn't fact check this...well.

• Options
    lukin2006 wrote:

"It streamlines the building of a bridge across the Detroit River by eliminating any environmental restrictions".

The bridge he is referring to has completed all environmental assessments on both sides of the border. Don't let the facts stand in the way of getting your article out. If he didn't fact check this...well.

http://m.theglobeandmail.com/news/natio ... ice=mobile

but hey - if you want to dismiss the article on one line (true or not) ... go ahead ... although i assume if this was mcguinty - you'd be all over it ...
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

http://m.theglobeandmail.com/news/natio ... ice=mobile

but hey - if you want to dismiss the article on one line (true or not) ... go ahead ... although i assume if this was mcguinty - you'd be all over it ...

No actually I wouldn't be...once a party gains a majority then they pretty much do as they want, they all do it. Besides I don't care how the bill is packaged...whether its 1 bill or 1000 they have a majority it'll all get through in the end.

Unlike soooo many people I've long come to the conclusion that democracy is dead in this country...unless you consider that vote thingy that sheeple participate in democracy.

As for the article ... if he didn't check his facts on that one point ... then maybe he didn't do his homework on the rest of his column ... as for the environment with new road and bridge all level of governments went above and beyond ... including building a 10 km fence to keep some snake out of the construction zone ...

• Options
    lukin2006 wrote:
    No actually I wouldn't be...once a party gains a majority then they pretty much do as they want, they all do it. Besides I don't care how the bill is packaged...whether its 1 bill or 1000 they have a majority it'll all get through in the end.

Unlike soooo many people I've long come to the conclusion that democracy is dead in this country...unless you consider that vote thingy that sheeple participate in democracy.

As for the article ... if he didn't check his facts on that one point ... then maybe he didn't do his homework on the rest of his column ... as for the environment with new road and bridge all level of governments went above and beyond ... including building a 10 km fence to keep some snake out of the construction zone ...

uhhh ... no ... that is not true ... all previous majorities still went through democratic processes like having committees review all aspects of the budget and to open the floor to debate ... that is why we have opposition mps ...

he DID factcheck ... what he says is true ... i posted the article to show you ... he's not talking about environmental assessments ... the new law basically says you can't challenge the construction of the bridge based on environmental laws and regulation ...
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

uhhh ... no ... that is not true ... all previous majorities still went through democratic processes like having committees review all aspects of the budget and to open the floor to debate ... that is why we have opposition mps ...

he DID factcheck ... what he says is true ... i posted the article to show you ... he's not talking about environmental assessments ... the new law basically says you can't challenge the construction of the bridge based on environmental laws and regulation ...

how many environmental reviews do they want ... they've completed the environmental assessments ...what more do people want ... like I said he didn't do his homework ... he closed those loopholes so the owner of the Ambassador Bridge does delay the construction of a new much needed bridge ... they are very litigious. Sorry I support that in the bill ... I know how congested the road leading to the Ambassador Bridge is. This I will give McGuinty credit for ... at least his government finally got to work on finishing the 401 to the new bridge. However I suspect it had more to do with Duncan and even more to do with Sandra Pupatello than McGuinty himself. I'll give Harper credit as well ... he has made this bridge a priority.

• Options
    lukin2006 wrote:
    how many environmental reviews do they want ... they've completed the environmental assessments ...what more do people want ... like I said he didn't do his homework ... he closed those loopholes so the owner of the Ambassador Bridge does delay the construction of a new much needed bridge ... they are very litigious. Sorry I support that in the bill ... I know how congested the road leading to the Ambassador Bridge is. This I will give McGuinty credit for ... at least his government finally got to work on finishing the 401 to the new bridge. However I suspect it had more to do with Duncan and even more to do with Sandra Pupatello than McGuinty himself. I'll give Harper credit as well ... he has made this bridge a priority.

how can you continue to say he didn't do his homework????? ... this is mind boggling ... you may agree with the legislation but how can you say what he wrote is NOT TRUE!??
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

how can you continue to say he didn't do his homework????? ... this is mind boggling ... you may agree with the legislation but how can you say what he wrote is NOT TRUE!??

Why because they closed loopholes to keep litigious people from suing ... delaying the badly needed construction of this border crossing ... whats the point of environmental assessments then ... if litigious people can delay construction of this bridge ... then lets do away with environmental assessments and when environmentalist find something not right then they can go off to court.

Because if their is one thing I know about environmentalists ... they are never happy!!! the whiniest people on earth. Even after all the assessments were completed and a ridiculous fence installed to protect the snakes, not to mention all the money spent to first remove the snakes from harm they were still bitching ...

As far as I'm concerned can't have it both ways ... either allow the environmental assessments to be binding or scrap them and let the courts decide ... either way don't matter to me ... but not both ways.

And I only commented on this part of the legislation ... I don't care about the rest of the legislation ... democracy has long ago left this country ...each and every one of those politicians from all parties are laughing at us ... and are in complete amazement that so many people fall in line like sheep.

• Options
    :lol::lol:

soo ... the journalist did indeed fact check and he did indeed write a factual statement ... that's all you have to say ...
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:
    :lol::lol:

soo ... the journalist did indeed fact check and he did indeed write a factual statement ... that's all you have to say ...

no he didn't check...if he did he'd see that environmental assessments have been done...what more do greenies want

• Options
    lukin2006 wrote:
    no he didn't check...if he did he'd see that environmental assessments have been done...what more do greenies want

good grief man ... YOU are the one talking about environmental assessments ... not him ... the law in question is about preventing anyone to challenge the construction of the bridge due to environmental regulations ... it's not about EA's ... :fp:
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,304
    polaris_x wrote:

These omnibus bills are fucking terrible. But nothing surprising coming from these so called "conservatives". The sad thing is the majority** of Canadians don't pay attention to this shit and when the next election rolls around they still will vote for these assholes.

** enough voting public to receive a majority in our outdated system
  • Options
    Finance Minister Dwight Duncan has made it official — he won’t be a candidate to replace Premier Dalton McGuinty as Ontario Liberal leader, nor will he run in the next election.

As disclosed by the Star on Tuesday, Duncan, 53, endorsed former minister Sandra Pupatello, 50, his close friend and fellow Windsor native, for the Grit leadership.

“I have decided it’s time for me to move forward,” Duncan told reporters at Queen’s Park on Wednesday.

“I’ve always believed governments have a natural life span of about 8 years,” he added. “You’re compelled, in my view, to move on.”

Duncan said he doesn’t have a new job lined up but suggested he may run for federal office at some point.

His decision clears the path for Pupatello, who didn’t run in the Oct. 6, 2011 provincial election, to return to politics.

In an interview with CBC Radio’s Metro Morning, she said the prospect of either Progressive Conservative Leader Tim Hudak or NDP Leader Andrea Horwath winning power is jolting her to action.

Pupatello told host Matt Galloway she will make a final decision soon.

As McGuinty’s right-hand man — and deputy premier — Duncan had been viewed as the front-runner among the would-be contenders in the Jan. 25-27 race that will be decided by 2,500 Liberal delegates.

But Duncan, a former Windsor city councillor with a quarter-century in elected office, was not interested in the prospect of another decade in provincial politics.

As treasurer and a big booster of Toronto’s financial services industry, he should be a hot commodity for a top Bay Street post.

Duncan’s move also means he can continue to work on the budget until the Liberal leadership convention.

“From a selfish perspective I’m delighted because it means we’ll be able to stay focused the most important challenge we have before us today, and that is to find a way to put in place a public sector wage freeze,” McGuinty said Wednesday.

“We have not enjoyed much success in the legislature in that regard, so we’ve got to keep finding ways outside and he’s my point guy on this.”

McGuinty said it doesn’t “say anything” about the state of the government or Liberal Party that his finance minister, unlike many previous finance ministers in other administrations, doesn’t want to seek the top job.

“Ultimately, they’re personal decisions,” he added, noting Duncan has devoted “effectively his entire adult life to public service...I’ve enjoyed the benefit of his good counsel.”

With the minority Liberal government expected to fall next spring, triggering an election, Duncan’s Windsor–Tecumseh riding would open up for Pupatello.

She represented the neighbouring constituency of Windsor West for 16 years.

Now the PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP director of business development and global markets, Pupatello was McGuinty’s deputy Liberal leader in opposition until 2003.

She also served as minister of economic development, education, and community and social services.

A feisty political powerhouse, Pupatello would bring some passion and enthusiasm back to Liberal ranks at a time when even the premier said the party needs renewal.

Unlike some other candidates, she is not linked to problems like Mississauga and Oakville gas plant cancellations, the ORNGE air ambulance scandal or the dispute with teachers’ unions over the wage freeze.

New Democrat MPP Peter Tabuns (Toronto–Danforth) said Duncan’s decision isn’t surprising given the scandals, including “unanswered questions” about the politically motivated decisions to scrap gas plants in Oakville and Mississauga that cost taxpayers at least $230 million.

“This is a party with a huge amount of baggage. Any new leader is going to have to climb a very big hill.”

McGuinty, premier since 2003 and Liberal leader for 16 years, had ordered ministers to quit his cabinet if they wished to run.

With a $14.4-billion deficit that is steadily going down — and is scheduled to be eliminated by 2017-18 — some Liberals are glad Duncan will remain at the treasury tiller through the transition.

The premier announced his surprise resignation on Oct. 15.

Since then numerous candidates have been jockeying.

Also considering leadership bids are Energy Minister Chris Bentley; Education Minister Laurel Broten; Economic Development Minister Brad Duguid; Children and Youth Services Minister Eric Hoskins; Health Minister Deb Matthews; Training Colleges and Universities Minister Glen Murray; Citizenship and Immigration Minister Charles Sousa; Government Services Minister Harinder Takhar; and Municipal Affairs Minister Kathleen Wynne.

Outside government, former minister George Smitherman, who lost to Mayor Rob Ford in the 2010 municipal election, is weighing a comeback.

Gerard Kennedy, a former education minister who left provincial politics in 2006 to run for the federal leadership, had been mulling a bid but sources say he will endorse Wynne.

Kennedy, who finished second to McGuinty in the 1996 Liberal leadership, is believed to be eyeing a possible mayoral run in 2014.

Candidates can spend up to $500,000 on the race and must pay a $50,000 entry fee to run, have until Nov. 23 to decide.

Finance Minister Dwight Duncan has made it official — he won’t be a candidate to replace Premier Dalton McGuinty as Ontario Liberal leader, nor will he run in the next election.

As disclosed by the Star on Tuesday, Duncan, 53, endorsed former minister Sandra Pupatello, 50, his close friend and fellow Windsor native, for the Grit leadership.

“I have decided it’s time for me to move forward,” Duncan told reporters at Queen’s Park on Wednesday.

“I’ve always believed governments have a natural life span of about 8 years,” he added. “You’re compelled, in my view, to move on.”

Duncan said he doesn’t have a new job lined up but suggested he may run for federal office at some point.

His decision clears the path for Pupatello, who didn’t run in the Oct. 6, 2011 provincial election, to return to politics.

In an interview with CBC Radio’s Metro Morning, she said the prospect of either Progressive Conservative Leader Tim Hudak or NDP Leader Andrea Horwath winning power is jolting her to action.

Pupatello told host Matt Galloway she will make a final decision soon.

As McGuinty’s right-hand man — and deputy premier — Duncan had been viewed as the front-runner among the would-be contenders in the Jan. 25-27 race that will be decided by 2,500 Liberal delegates.

But Duncan, a former Windsor city councillor with a quarter-century in elected office, was not interested in the prospect of another decade in provincial politics.

As treasurer and a big booster of Toronto’s financial services industry, he should be a hot commodity for a top Bay Street post.

Duncan’s move also means he can continue to work on the budget until the Liberal leadership convention.

“From a selfish perspective I’m delighted because it means we’ll be able to stay focused the most important challenge we have before us today, and that is to find a way to put in place a public sector wage freeze,” McGuinty said Wednesday.

“We have not enjoyed much success in the legislature in that regard, so we’ve got to keep finding ways outside and he’s my point guy on this.”

McGuinty said it doesn’t “say anything” about the state of the government or Liberal Party that his finance minister, unlike many previous finance ministers in other administrations, doesn’t want to seek the top job.

“Ultimately, they’re personal decisions,” he added, noting Duncan has devoted “effectively his entire adult life to public service...I’ve enjoyed the benefit of his good counsel.”

With the minority Liberal government expected to fall next spring, triggering an election, Duncan’s Windsor–Tecumseh riding would open up for Pupatello.

She represented the neighbouring constituency of Windsor West for 16 years.

Now the PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP director of business development and global markets, Pupatello was McGuinty’s deputy Liberal leader in opposition until 2003.

She also served as minister of economic development, education, and community and social services.

A feisty political powerhouse, Pupatello would bring some passion and enthusiasm back to Liberal ranks at a time when even the premier said the party needs renewal.

Unlike some other candidates, she is not linked to problems like Mississauga and Oakville gas plant cancellations, the ORNGE air ambulance scandal or the dispute with teachers’ unions over the wage freeze.

New Democrat MPP Peter Tabuns (Toronto–Danforth) said Duncan’s decision isn’t surprising given the scandals, including “unanswered questions” about the politically motivated decisions to scrap gas plants in Oakville and Mississauga that cost taxpayers at least $230 million.

“This is a party with a huge amount of baggage. Any new leader is going to have to climb a very big hill.”

McGuinty, premier since 2003 and Liberal leader for 16 years, had ordered ministers to quit his cabinet if they wished to run.

With a $14.4-billion deficit that is steadily going down — and is scheduled to be eliminated by 2017-18 — some Liberals are glad Duncan will remain at the treasury tiller through the transition.

The premier announced his surprise resignation on Oct. 15.

Since then numerous candidates have been jockeying.

Also considering leadership bids are Energy Minister Chris Bentley; Education Minister Laurel Broten; Economic Development Minister Brad Duguid; Children and Youth Services Minister Eric Hoskins; Health Minister Deb Matthews; Training Colleges and Universities Minister Glen Murray; Citizenship and Immigration Minister Charles Sousa; Government Services Minister Harinder Takhar; and Municipal Affairs Minister Kathleen Wynne.

Outside government, former minister George Smitherman, who lost to Mayor Rob Ford in the 2010 municipal election, is weighing a comeback.

Gerard Kennedy, a former education minister who left provincial politics in 2006 to run for the federal leadership, had been mulling a bid but sources say he will endorse Wynne.

Kennedy, who finished second to McGuinty in the 1996 Liberal leadership, is believed to be eyeing a possible mayoral run in 2014.

Candidates can spend up to $500,000 on the race and must pay a $50,000 entry fee to run, have until Nov. 23 to decide.

• Options
    lukin2006 wrote:

well ... i'll give him a thumbs up for that ... :thumbup:
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

well ... i'll give him a thumbs up for that ... :thumbup:

He might have thought different with a majority government ... but who knows for sure ... there some talk he might run federally ... the NDP currently hold the 2 Windsor seats and they are pretty popular in the area ...

• Options
    You folks see the latest irony from our dear leader?

You need to work with Congress, Harper tells Obama
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/us-election/you-need-to-work-with-congress-harper-tells-obama/article5090370/
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,717
    bytterman wrote:
    You folks see the latest irony from our dear leader?

You need to work with Congress, Harper tells Obama
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/us-election/you-need-to-work-with-congress-harper-tells-obama/article5090370/
    :fp:
    Wish he'd called Congress and offered the same advice at least.... not that they would listen, since he can't even take his own. :fp:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
This discussion has been closed.