Options

Afghanistan

Comments

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,008
    mickeyrat said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    Just heard a report as to how efficiently the airport is running now...constant movement of planes.

But arent there reports of issues getting there? Doesn't matter how smooth the flight is if you cant get to it. 
    Well so far 48,000 have gotten flights in the last week. This keeps up, we'll get over 1000,000 people out in just a couple weeks. I don't think that's too shabby. Also don't think Gern was  talking about how smooth the actual flights themselves are. I'd assume he meant the process of getting people out. 

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/08/23/us-evacuates-37000-from-afghanistan-as-taliban-calls-august-31-withdrawal-deadline-red-line.html
    48,000 since 8/14 isn’t as impressive as more than 10,000 in 12 hours on Monday. That is a lot. I’m glad they’re getting more out faster than I thought.
    I knew he wasn’t talking about the actual flight, but my point was of course it’s smooth if no one is showing up. Looks like that isn’t the case and the reports ive heard of difficulties getting to the airport are hopefully rare and the exception.
    i hope this keeps up and they’re all out ahead of the deadline.

not impressive huh? where were they to go? what was in place to receive them initially? more to it than just a flight out.
    I think you misunderstood my comment. I wasn't saying 48,000 in 10 days isn't impressive. I was saying the details in the article were more impressive than the headline, that is 10,900 evacuated in 12 hours on Monday. If they can keep that rate up, we can get a lot more people out.
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,780
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    An explosion has been reported outside the Kabul airport…reports are it was a suicide bomber.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    An explosion has been reported outside the Kabul airport…reports are it was a suicide bomber.

lets see how harshly taliban quash the isis group.

• Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,158
    here we go..
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,774
    here we go..
    Surprised?
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,279
    Welp. This morning I was gonna post that it seemed like it was only a matter of time before something like this happened but if it didn't, and things continued the way it was going, it would've ended up being not as bad as we feared.

Hopefully the warning we sent out last night saved some lives. This sucks. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,967
    Now they are saying two bombs....likely Isis.  The Taliban will likely step up to filter this out better....they don't want this either
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,774
    Welp. This morning I was gonna post that it seemed like it was only a matter of time before something like this happened but if it didn't, and things continued the way it was going, it would've ended up being not as bad as we feared.

Hopefully the warning we sent out last night saved some lives. This sucks. 
    Yea. What a shame. 
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,728
    Now they are saying two bombs....likely Isis.  The Taliban will likely step up to filter this out better....they don't want this either
    This is where we’re at; hoping the Taliban steps up to fight Isis so that Americans and Afghan citizen allies are safe. What a fucking mess. 

Here’s a 5-second video that’s being shared of the scene. Warning…there’s dead bodies in the video…

https://twitter.com/alexsalvinews/status/1430906781232820225?s=21
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,883
    nicknyr15 said:
    here we go..
    Surprised?
    Not at all.  I honestly thought this was going to happen on day 1 of the evacuations.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,772
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • Options
    The GOP will conveniently forget all US deaths in Afghanistan prior to today 

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,108
    politics suck 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    Haaaa. 
  • Options
    I believe they already have
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    jimjam1982jimjam1982 AZ Posts: 1,210
    Where is 46 though? Probably getting ice cream. Back in my day bombing us citizens wasn't tolerated and we didn't negotiate with terrorists.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Where is 46 though? Probably getting ice cream. Back in my day bombing us citizens wasn't tolerated and we didn't negotiate with terrorists.

when was your day exactly?
    Post edited by mickeyrat on

• Options
    edited August 2021
    mickeyrat said:

when was your day exactly?
    HAHA
    The hypocrisy of these Trump supporters just blows my fucking mind. 

And "46" is going to speak shortly. Lol...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    If there is a locale on Isis-K it will get bombed.

• Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,242
    Yeah, we should really deploy troops to that country and put a stop to this kind of stuff. I'm sure we'd just need a few days to clear up the issues and get everyone back home...oh wait, we've already been there for 20 years. Huh, what exactly are we not supposed to tolerate?
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    edited August 2021

show us you have no idea what the president does without telling us you have no idea what the president does
    Post edited by CM189191 on
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793

where do you think 46 is?
    where do you think 46 should be?
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    Bush is the person to blame.  This war was totally unnecessary.  The seal teams could have gotten bin laden all along…could have been minimal deaths.  I will never be ok with young people being killed in bullshit wars.  Also people who join the military join to defend his or her country…not to be shipped off to some bs cause that some assclown president takes up.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options

Kabul explosions: At least 72 dead, including U.S. military personnel, officials say

https://globalnews.ca/news/8142120/afghanistan-kabul-airport-threat/
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,158
    why don't you guys have another benghazi hearing over it?

seriously. 600,000 dead americans on trump's watch and this is what you are upset about. 
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    "Ladies and gentlemen, it was time to end a 20 year war. Thank you very much."
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
     oh here he is .....

Biden vows to finish Kabul evacuation, avenge US deaths
    By ROBERT BURNS, DARLENE SUPERVILLE and MATTHEW LEE
    13 mins ago

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Joe Biden vowed Thursday to complete the evacuation of American citizens and others from Afghanistan despite the deadly suicide bomb attack at the Kabul airport. He also promised to avenge the deaths, declaring to the extremists responsible: “We will hunt you down and make you pay.”

Speaking with emotion from the White House, Biden said the Islamic State group's Afghanistan affiliate was to blame for the attacks that killed 12 American service members and many more Afghan civilians. He said there was no evidence they colluded with the Taliban, who now control the country.

“We have some reason to believe we know who they are,” he said of the bombers and gunmen involved. "Not certain.”

He said he had instructed military commanders to develop plans to strike IS “assets, leadership and facilities.”

The IS affiliate in Afghanistan has carried out many attacks on civilian targets in Afghanistan in recent years. It is far more radical than the Taliban, who seized power less than two weeks ago.

“We will respond with force and precision at our time, at the place of our choosing,” Biden said, adding, “These ISIS terrorists will not win. We will rescue the Americans; we will get our Afghan allies out, and our mission will go on. America will not be intimidated.”

Biden said U.S. military commanders in Afghanistan have told him it is important to complete the evacuation mission. “And we will,” he said, adding, “We will not be deterred by terrorists. We will not let them stop our mission.”

Indeed, Gen. Frank McKenzie, the Central Command chief who is overseeing the evacuation operation from his Florida headquarters, told a Pentagon news conference shortly before Biden spoke, “Let me be clear, while we are saddened by the loss of life, both U.S. and Afghan, we are continuing to execute the mission,.” He said there were about 5,000 evacuees on the airfield Thursday awaiting flights.

As many as 1,000 Americans and many more Afghans are still struggling to get out of Kabul.

Biden was briefed on the attacks, which came 12 days into the rushed evacuation and five days before its scheduled completion. Some Republicans and others have argued to extend the evacuation beyond next Tuesday's deadline.

The administration has been widely blamed for a chaotic and deadly evacuation that began in earnest only after the collapse of the U.S.-backed Afghan government and the Taliban's takeover of the country. More than 100,000 people have been evacuated so far, Afghans, Americans and others.

Thursday's attacks were sure to intensify political pressure from all sides on Biden, who already was under heavy criticism for not beginning the pullout earlier. He had announced in April that he was ending the U.S. war and would have all forces out by September.

House Republican leader Kevin McCarthy of California called for Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., to bring the chamber back into session to consider legislation that would prohibit the U.S. withdrawal until all Americans are out. That's highly unlikely, and Pelosi's office dismissed such suggestions as “empty stunts.”

Gen. McKenzie said the military believes the attacks on the airport's perimeter were carried out by fighters affiliated with the Islamic State group's Afghanistan arm. He said more attempted attacks were expected.

After the suicide bomber's attack at the airport's Abbey Gate, a number of ISIS gunmen opened fire on civilians and military forces, he said. There also was an attack at or near the Baron Hotel near that gate, he said.

“We thought this would happen sooner or later," McKenzie said, adding that U.S. military commanders were working with Taliban commanders to prevent further attacks.

McKenzie said that in addition to the 12 U.S. service members killed in the attacks, at least 15 were injured.

As details of the attacks emerged, the White House rescheduled Biden's first in-person meeting with Israel's new prime minister on Thursday and canceled a video conference with governors about resettling Afghan refugees arriving in the United States.

A number of U.S. allies said they were ending their evacuation efforts in Kabul, at least in part to give the U.S. the time it needs to wrap up its evacuation operations before getting more than 5,000 U.S. troops out by Tuesday.

Despite intense pressure to extend the deadline, Biden has repeatedly cited the threat of terrorist attacks against civilians and U.S. service members as a reason to keep to his plan.

In an interview with ABC News, Ross Wilson, the U.S. ambassador to Afghanistan, said, “There are safe ways to get to” the airport for those Americans who still want to leave. He added that “there undoubtedly will be” some at-risk Afghans who will not get out before Biden's deadline.

continues.....