mcgruff10 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    May be an image of 7 people people standing and text
    Because this is the accumulation of 20 years of war, Thousands of American lives, many more lives around the world. The prospect of even more lives of those left behind. Billions of dollars of equipment and buildings are now in the hands of those we were fighting, people who have treated other brutally. The continued mishandling and lack of honesty of of the situation. Wondering what the heck was going on the last 20 years. There’s a lot to be angry about.
    How’d you feel in 2003, 2005, 2008 and 2011? Were you angry then?
    I didn’t know that our efforts were going to collapse within days back then.
    Kinda a weird question.  I think most of the criticism today is in regards to the management of the pullout and with a sprinkle of "if it was that fragile, what the hell did we waste lives, $ and resources on it".

I'm shocked it was a fragile as it was.  It seems Biden and team have made an effort to shift and manage the situation better at the moment.  But for some it will be too little too late.  Easy to see why people like Obama/Trump pushed off this hard decision though...

That’s exactly it. 10 years ago I didn’t know it was this fragile, that the people we were training and arming would last 72 hours, and essentially be arming the people we’ve been fighting. I hoped we’d actually be making a difference.
    I don’t know why people wouldn’t be angry about this. It represents 20 years of a war that resulted in wasted lives, money and resources and within 72 hours of leaving it’s like we were never there.  Why wouldn’t someone be upset over that?
    I’m surprised that anyone was/is surprised by the outcome. Silly me.
    You expected the army we trained to give up and be over run within 3 days? You expected that thousands of people, including American citizens and those who aided us, would be left and stranded? You expected within just days that people would be hanging onto aircraft as it takes off because they are so desperate to get out?
    I didn't really expect a lot, but I did expect more than this. 
    I fully expected it to end in a complete shit show as you described. So, yes.
    I did too. I knew whatever we built wouldn't last forever. 
    But didn't expect it as fast. Not with as many left behind. And not arming the people we'd been fighting so well with expensive weapons and equipment. 
    We armed the same people in the 80s.   
    True.
    This conversation started with asking why some are angrier over Kabul than Jan 6. Just because it happened before and just because it isn't a surprise, doesn't mean it shouldn't make me angry. 
    A pointless war of 20 years with thousands of American lives lost, while arming the people we were trying to fight at our expense does make me more upset than events that took place over a few hours and resulted in a single death. While January 6th does make me angry, I just don't see how it compares to 20 years of a pointless war and thousands of lives.
    So based on your definition of war or a war type coup effort (that’s what we’ll call it) it’s the length of time, the number of lives lost, property damage , etc. that determines the level of anger one should feel about it.  This is where I get lost….is it the people we spent the money on, the way they were treated before, not being able to get them out, what exactly are you mad about?  You seem mad about the money spent then mad about us not getting them out. These two things are two different ways of looking at a humanitarian crisis and I don’t think you can worry about money spent before or now while trying to accomplish the evacuation. So the length of time you fight for freedom is what really matters to you, what’s important. Or is it money….or just because it’s Biden? 
    I never said who should and shouldn’t be angry. Just that I don’t see it as unreasonable someone would be more upset over a 20-year war than Jan 6 based partially on what you said. Except you never mentioned what is the biggest factor, the number of deaths. And I would agree. But if you don’t, that’s fine. I’m not trying to dictate what anyone should be upset over. We all have our own metrics. If you’re more upset with Jan 6, that doesn’t bother me. I personally think deaths is a good one. More than 2000 Americans died fighting and by the looks of it, we have nothing to show for it. That’s the main reason, all the money and resources wasted is just salt in the wounds, but minor in comparison to 2500 killed and who knows how many times as many severely disabled for life.
    I haven’t blamed Biden. We should have left years ago.  I don’t believe I’ve even mentioned his name on this thread. It’s too early for me to tell yet, if we get everyone out who needs to, then I won’t blame him. If thousands die try to get to a plane, then yeah I’ll say he should have had a better plan to get them out. But it’s looking hopeful at the moment.
    Check my post again….I did mention deaths. 
  • Options
    JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,488
    mcgruff10 said:
    Like what in the actual…..

I can predict what the "patriots" at work will be talking about for the next week. ^  :|
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited August 2021
    Oh no! There's a US government-led shitshow, and the people we elected (both quite familiar with US government-led shitshows, btw) want to make sure that we are handling it well because it reflects not only how the Biden administration is viewed at home (all that the Biden administration seems to care about right now) but more importantly and more broadly how the US is viewed by the world.

I'll just keep wasting my vote on Seth Moulton for president.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,949

Good thread here.  Biden's choice was either to get the fuck out or prepare to send more troops to fight the strengthening Taliban.  

Seems pretty clear
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,401
    dankind said:
    Oh no! There's a US government-led shitshow, and the people we elected (both quite familiar with US government-led shitshows, btw) want to make sure that we are handling it well because it reflects not only how the Biden administration is viewed at home (all that the Biden administration seems to care about right now) but more importantly and more broadly how the US is viewed by the world.

Moulton up for re-election in 2022 correct?  Sounds like a bunch of grandstanding to me.  Just what everyone over there needs is to worry about two more Americans in harms way.  
    All politicians are disgusting.  Doesn’t matter what level, what party, you have to be scum to be a politician otherwise you’ll never win.  It’s basically a modern day low level mafia pretending like it’s all legit.  Gonna check on everything over there, bull crap, they do nothing without wanting or getting something in return.  Even if they start out with good intentions they soon realize that you have to be scummy to deal with scum.  
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    dankind said:

Moulton up for re-election in 2022 correct?  Sounds like a bunch of grandstanding to me.  Just what everyone over there needs is to worry about two more Americans in harms way.  
    All politicians are disgusting.  Doesn’t matter what level, what party, you have to be scum to be a politician otherwise you’ll never win.  It’s basically a modern day low level mafia pretending like it’s all legit.  Gonna check on everything over there, bull crap, they do nothing without wanting or getting something in return.  Even if they start out with good intentions they soon realize that you have to be scummy to deal with scum.  
    Living in his district and having personally met the man on more than one occasion and knocked doors for him, you couldn't be more wrong.

Moulton is not a politician; he is a public servant.

If he were a good politician, he would fall in line with Auntie Nancy and Grandpa Biden, but he has the US's best interest at heart, not the goddamn party's/administrations.

I'll keep voting for him, but I doubt the party line folks will.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:
    dankind said:

Living in his district and having personally met the man on more than one occasion and knocked doors for him, you couldn't be more wrong.

If he were a good politician, he would fall in line with Auntie Nancy and Grandpa Biden, but he has the US's best interest at heart, not the goddamn party's/administrations.

So you’re saying that he’s not running for re-election in 2022? There was absolutely no reason for either of them to go there other than to play “look at me”.  If it’s all about serving your country then have faith in the organization that’s doing the job.  The same organization that he belonged to, the military.  Biden may be president but the military is running the show and I have faith in them but it sounds like Moulton doesn’t.  
  • Options
    dankind said:
    dankind said:

Which he did when he changed his mind about his vote for speaker because she promised him something…..see they get and give, scum to scum and he’s no different.  You don’t truly know him…you know the politician who tells you what he knows you want and need to hear.  Please don’t be so gullible.  You can support who you want, vote for who you want, just stop taking it so personally, I’m neither left nor right, I’m a realist. I spent 13 years around low level politicians doing nothing more than my job and observing….we are all smart enough to know that all politicians are pieces of crap.  That should be the one thing we all agree on. 
  • Options
    Moulton's a good guy.  The repub that went over isn't bad either....pretty sure he was anti-tRump

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    Moulton's a good guy.  The repub that went over isn't bad either....pretty sure he was anti-tRump
    That’s awesome that you believe someone really cares and I’m not being an ass I’m glad that there may be great future decision makers on the horizon. And the whole not supporting trump thing has no bearing on whether I agree with someone or not….the bottom line is Moulton comprised his beliefs for a promise….that is the definition of a political move….therefore it’s become his job, a paycheck which makes it no longer about his “cause”. He’s a politician. 
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    dankind said:
    dankind said:

Which he did when he changed his mind about his vote for speaker because she promised him something…..see they get and give, scum to scum and he’s no different.  You don’t truly know him…you know the politician who tells you what he knows you want and need to hear.  Please don’t be so gullible.  You can support who you want, vote for who you want, just stop taking it so personally, I’m neither left nor right, I’m a realist. I spent 13 years around low level politicians doing nothing more than my job and observing….we are all smart enough to know that all politicians are pieces of crap.  That should be the one thing we all agree on. 
    I think the only display of gullibility here was attempting to engage in a conversation with you.

Be well (or better, even).
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,248

Sucks about Only Fans, eh?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,152
    mcgruff10 said:

I’m so tired of the nonsense. Enough to discuss and even criticize without being a fucking lying piece of shit. Was so nice not hearing from him at all
    he is not fucking helping. biden should tell him to help, or shut the fuck up.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    i heard on the news that as of 10:00 am central today we have gotten 90,000 people out of afghanistan. 
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

• Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,580
    i heard on the news that as of 10:00 am central today we have gotten 90,000 people out of afghanistan. 
    15,000 Muricans and 50,000 - 70,000 afghan allies, who’s left?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,475
    mcgruff10 said:

I’m so tired of the nonsense. Enough to discuss and even criticize without being a fucking lying piece of shit. Was so nice not hearing from him at all

Which would be followed up with commentary asking why Biden is so obsessed with / can't stop talking about trump. 
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,248
    Fucking hypocrites

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

Which would be followed up with commentary asking why Biden is so obsessed with / can't stop talking about trump. 
    our media has been horrible on this story. so many people do not understand that this was trump and pompeo's plan, they boxed out the current afghan government from negotiations, and trump basically gave afghanistan to the taliban and left it for biden to fix. if trump had won the election i guarantee he would be pushing the deadline back or threatening to bomb the taliban.

• Options
    Yeah I don't want to ever hear anything about "liberal media" again...they are chewing up Biden as much as they did tRump.

• Options
    That’s awesome that you believe someone really cares and I’m not being an ass I’m glad that there may be great future decision makers on the horizon. And the whole not supporting trump thing has no bearing on whether I agree with someone or not….the bottom line is Moulton comprised his beliefs for a promise….that is the definition of a political move….therefore it’s become his job, a paycheck which makes it no longer about his “cause”. He’s a politician. 
    Disagree....he served in Iraq and he wanted to see for himself what was going on.

• Options
    Disagree....he served in Iraq and he wanted to see for himself what was going on.
    Agree to disagree but I truly hope you prove me wrong some day.  My grandchildren need /deserve better than what we’ve got right now no matter what side of the fence you sit on.  
  • Options
    Yeah I don't want to ever hear anything about "liberal media" again...they are chewing up Biden as much as they did tRump.
    and they are not reporting FACTS. they are fucking editorializing and giving selectively edited "facts" or all out distortions.

• Options
    My FB feed is full of "miss me yet" memes of tRump....barf

• Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,086
    and they are not reporting FACTS. they are fucking editorializing and giving selectively edited "facts" or all out distortions.
    I guess I don’t see what you all are talking about. The coverage I’ve seen seemed to be fair. Harsher early and less so once Biden actually got his shit together 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    I guess I don’t see what you all are talking about. The coverage I’ve seen seemed to be fair. Harsher early and less so once Biden actually got his shit together 
    I was just referring to the general narrative that the right likes to trot out...that the media (all liberal except for Fox, OAN and meme generators) won't say anything bad about a democrat.  Clearly not the case.

But I do agree that they were not always being factual.  Richard Engel (NBC) was tweeting some ridiculous shit a week ago...straight up opinion rather than news.

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,691
    edited August 2021
    I was just referring to the general narrative that the right likes to trot out...that the media (all liberal except for Fox, OAN and meme generators) won't say anything bad about a democrat.  Clearly not the case.

But I do agree that they were not always being factual.  Richard Engel (NBC) was tweeting some ridiculous shit a week ago...straight up opinion rather than news.

maybe using twitter as a vehicle for getting news is the best way?

or perhaps reporters and the like should have purely personal accounts and strictly professional ones.

Post edited by mickeyrat on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,993
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    May be an image of 7 people people standing and text
    Because this is the accumulation of 20 years of war, Thousands of American lives, many more lives around the world. The prospect of even more lives of those left behind. Billions of dollars of equipment and buildings are now in the hands of those we were fighting, people who have treated other brutally. The continued mishandling and lack of honesty of of the situation. Wondering what the heck was going on the last 20 years. There’s a lot to be angry about.
    How’d you feel in 2003, 2005, 2008 and 2011? Were you angry then?
    I didn’t know that our efforts were going to collapse within days back then.
    Kinda a weird question.  I think most of the criticism today is in regards to the management of the pullout and with a sprinkle of "if it was that fragile, what the hell did we waste lives, $ and resources on it".

I'm shocked it was a fragile as it was.  It seems Biden and team have made an effort to shift and manage the situation better at the moment.  But for some it will be too little too late.  Easy to see why people like Obama/Trump pushed off this hard decision though...

That’s exactly it. 10 years ago I didn’t know it was this fragile, that the people we were training and arming would last 72 hours, and essentially be arming the people we’ve been fighting. I hoped we’d actually be making a difference.
    I don’t know why people wouldn’t be angry about this. It represents 20 years of a war that resulted in wasted lives, money and resources and within 72 hours of leaving it’s like we were never there.  Why wouldn’t someone be upset over that?
    I’m surprised that anyone was/is surprised by the outcome. Silly me.
    You expected the army we trained to give up and be over run within 3 days? You expected that thousands of people, including American citizens and those who aided us, would be left and stranded? You expected within just days that people would be hanging onto aircraft as it takes off because they are so desperate to get out?
    I didn't really expect a lot, but I did expect more than this. 
    I fully expected it to end in a complete shit show as you described. So, yes.
    I did too. I knew whatever we built wouldn't last forever. 
    But didn't expect it as fast. Not with as many left behind. And not arming the people we'd been fighting so well with expensive weapons and equipment. 
    We armed the same people in the 80s.   
    True.
    This conversation started with asking why some are angrier over Kabul than Jan 6. Just because it happened before and just because it isn't a surprise, doesn't mean it shouldn't make me angry. 
    A pointless war of 20 years with thousands of American lives lost, while arming the people we were trying to fight at our expense does make me more upset than events that took place over a few hours and resulted in a single death. While January 6th does make me angry, I just don't see how it compares to 20 years of a pointless war and thousands of lives.
    So based on your definition of war or a war type coup effort (that’s what we’ll call it) it’s the length of time, the number of lives lost, property damage , etc. that determines the level of anger one should feel about it.  This is where I get lost….is it the people we spent the money on, the way they were treated before, not being able to get them out, what exactly are you mad about?  You seem mad about the money spent then mad about us not getting them out. These two things are two different ways of looking at a humanitarian crisis and I don’t think you can worry about money spent before or now while trying to accomplish the evacuation. So the length of time you fight for freedom is what really matters to you, what’s important. Or is it money….or just because it’s Biden? 
    I never said who should and shouldn’t be angry. Just that I don’t see it as unreasonable someone would be more upset over a 20-year war than Jan 6 based partially on what you said. Except you never mentioned what is the biggest factor, the number of deaths. And I would agree. But if you don’t, that’s fine. I’m not trying to dictate what anyone should be upset over. We all have our own metrics. If you’re more upset with Jan 6, that doesn’t bother me. I personally think deaths is a good one. More than 2000 Americans died fighting and by the looks of it, we have nothing to show for it. That’s the main reason, all the money and resources wasted is just salt in the wounds, but minor in comparison to 2500 killed and who knows how many times as many severely disabled for life.
    I haven’t blamed Biden. We should have left years ago.  I don’t believe I’ve even mentioned his name on this thread. It’s too early for me to tell yet, if we get everyone out who needs to, then I won’t blame him. If thousands die try to get to a plane, then yeah I’ll say he should have had a better plan to get them out. But it’s looking hopeful at the moment.
    Check my post again….I did mention deaths. 
    You're right, my bad. You ended with asking what bothers me more, Biden or the money, so the previous mention of lives slipped my mind. The loss of life and all the disabled vets is by far the biggest issue.