Options

PJ NCAA March Madness Pool - TIME TO PAY UP!

Comments

• Options
    walkunafraidwalkunafraid Posts: 2,560
    I've run the bracket tournament at my work for a long time, and I got to say that the scoring you set up is really not the best. In the first round, a 12 seed almost always beats a 5, and there are several other upsets like an 11 over a 6 etc. So, with the 12 beating a 5, a person would score their first round point, plus 7 bonus points, for a total of 8 points. But someone who correctly picks the overall winner of the entire tournament is only going to get 6 points? Or picking the correct team to make it to the championship game gets only 5 points, but someone who picks the first round upset of an 11 beating a 6 gets the same amount or one point less even? I just think that this is a slightly flawed way to go about it, imo. What does everyone else think? You really should increase the ascending rounds to be worth more points if you're going to use the bonus upset points.

Valid point. I'm not sure why I used the 1/2/3/4/5/6 option when every other pool I have been in uses 1/2/4/8/16/32 scoring system (ie, 32 points for correctly picking the overall winner of the tournament). I like awarding bonus points for upsets (makes things more interesting, and awards those with more insight and/or luck), so I want to keep that as is (seeding differential). With the 1/2//4/8/16/32 option, that should eliminate the problem of having an upset pick being worth more points that selecting the overall tourney winner.

We have already started sign-ups, so I just need the blessing of the board to proceed with the scoring change. Any objections from those who have signed up so far?
    Everything has chains...Absolutely nothing's changed. - PJ

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
  • Options
    stickmanstickman Posts: 1,008
    If there are any spots left, I have a Hartford 2008 boot to throw in....
    Let me know if I make the cut!
  • Options
    dwhite76dwhite76 Posts: 2,801
    edited March 2012
    I need to defend my crown. Im i. Any boot in goods
    Post edited by dwhite76 on
    Some words when spoken...Can't be taken back...
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,386
    the scoring change sounds fine to me, Paul.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    mfc2006 wrote:
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Options
    I'm in. It's been a while since I did one of these. I'll chip in any boot from the goods section.
  • Options
    presententspresentents Posts: 139
    Iam in. Boot I'll give in August 9,2000 West Palm Beach No.30
  • Options
    acpaxton01acpaxton01 Oklahoma Posts: 172
    I'm in. Any boot from goods.
    October 17, 2000 Dallas, TX
    April 3, 2003 Oklahoma City, OK
    September 22, 2012 Atlanta, GA
    November 15, 2013 Dallas, TX
    November 16, 2013 Oklahoma City, OK
    October 8, 2014 Tulsa, OK
    May 1, 2016 New York, NY
    May 2, 2016 New York, NY
    August 13, 2018 Missoula, MT
  • Options
    Mawky1103Mawky1103 Posts: 310
    UCONN's got to get it together quick this year, but I won my pool last year with them!! Graduated in 2010....Kemba Walker was amazing!!!! True leader and everything you could ask for in a basketball player. Scoring front row Tix/meeting ED after the show in Hartford and watching my huskies win the title last year were my highlights of 2011 :)
  • Options
    mfc2006 wrote:

cool with me too
    "I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as Josh Homme"
  • Options
    bry321f11bry321f11 Posts: 326
    Im In....Any boot in goods section.
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,386
    bump for the Jayhawks!!! 8-)
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    Vedderhead1Vedderhead1 Posts: 189
    PM sent...Go CUSE!
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    im in if a spot is open
  • Options
    Mamasan BrenMamasan Bren Posts: 960
    edited March 2012
    I'm thinking about entering, Paul. Yeah, I think the upset points are fun, and am glad that you'll change the later rounds to make them more meaningful in rewarding correct picks as the tourney heads to its conclusion. One thing I kind of wish is that there would be some way to reward a 2nd and 3rd place somehow. I think this would create a lot more interest and allow for many scenarios that can keep members in the game for longer. They could be down the totem poll in scoring but have scenarios in which they could maybe at least reach 3rd place. But I don't know how this could be done in terms of the paying up of boots. Perhaps this would be a way: Maybe a certain amount of members, say 5 for now, that land in the last 5 spots must pay up to the 3rd place winner. Then the next 7 or 8 must pay up to the 2nd place winner, and then the overall winner gets the lion's share. (Or some such breakdown). Does that makes sense? With only one winner taking all, it sort of lacks the interest and fun it could generate if members knew they could still be in the running for some PJ boots fun with a 2nd and 3rd place winning possibility. I mean just one person wins 20+ boots seems to be a little bit overkill, but awesome nonetheless. What do you and everyone else think? Would you like to see there be a 2nd and 3rd place prize structure for more than just one winner?
    Post edited by Mamasan Bren on
    1/95 DC 7/95 Chicago Tor Tol Cha 96 AlpV I II Chi St L KC 98 BSB I II 99 Phx Vegas Fresno SBern 00 BSB I II 01 (met ed) Vegas Phx Fargo St. Paul Chicago Alpine V Indy Col Virg Phi I II MSG I II (got on DVD!) 03 Calg 05 Clev Vegas LA I II SBar 06 Lon Dus Cop Nij Bel 07 Phi I II DC MSG I II Har BOS I II 08, LA3/4, SD '09, MSG I II '10, Missoula, London ONT, Wrigley, SD, LA1/2, Portland. Wrigley '16 I and II. 
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,692
    I'm fine with the scoring change.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    pearljim10pearljim10 AZ Posts: 404
    pearljim10 wrote:
    i would like to join this year because i miss out every year. i have a New York boot. i'm not sure of the year but i'm pretty sure it's 2003. i will update this post tomorrow when i find it. thanks

UPDATE: yeah it is a 2003 boot but it wasn't NY. It's July 11 2003 Mansfield Massachusetts 3 disc bootleg.

Please let me know if i have to do anything else to sign-up.

Sorry, this was a retail-released bootleg, and therefore is ineligible.

Sorry about that. Please change mine to anything from the goods section up to $20.

What are the chances that 10C would work with the winner and let the winner combine all these "anything from the goods section up to $20" into one big purchase? So the winner could get a bigger item like a hoodie or the Vs/Vitalogy Box Set. Not sure of the logistics but seems like it could be worked out.
    The plural of VINYL is VINYL. slh

1996 - Randalls Island 9/28 9/29, Buffalo 10/1
    1998 - Camden 8/28 8/29, East Rutherford 9/8, MSG 9/10, Hartford 9/13
    2000 - Letterman 4/12, Jones Beach 8/23 8/24 8/25, Saratoga Springs 8/27
    2003 - Long Island 4/30, Phoenix 6/7, MSG 7/8 7/9
    2006 - San Diego 7/7
    2009 - Philly IV 10/31
    2010 - MSG 5/20 5/21
    2011 - PJ20 Movie 9/23
    2012 - EV Phoenix 4/13
    2013 - Phoenix 11/19
    2016 - Telluride 7/10
    2018 - Boston/Fenway 9/4
    2019 - EV Tempe Innings Festival 3/3
  • Options
    Alright folks, the board is officially full. I fell a little behind on this, so to be fair, I allowed everyone who expressed their interest before this moment to participate. That means we have over 25 participants...no problem, that just means more goodies for me :lol: .

The next step is for those of you who still need to PM me your address and/or post your pledge to do so before selection Sunday. Failure to do so will result in the removal of your spot from the board.

Thanks to everyone who signed up!

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
  • Options
    dwhite76dwhite76 Posts: 2,801
    Been noticing that lately almost everyone's pledge in my pools is "any boot in Goods." What do you all think of this? I personally long for the days when everyone chose something concrete to pledge, but I may be in the minority with that. Just curious as to your thoughts because I'm considering removing the "any boot in Goods" option from the next pool...

I loved that people let me choose what boot I wanted. Thats the only way I was able to complete the 2010 Set.

Thanks again guys :D
    Some words when spoken...Can't be taken back...
  • Options
    updated

• Options
    lippy002lippy002 Posts: 120
    Crap, I was away when this was posted. Not trying to be a pain, but is there any reason this was limited to 25...the computer does all the scoring right?!

My own fault I suppose...I remember when just a few years back this pool would have like 12 people. (I couldn't win then either0 :oops:
  • Options
    lippy002 wrote:
    Crap, I was away when this was posted. Not trying to be a pain, but is there any reason this was limited to 25...the computer does all the scoring right?!

My own fault I suppose...I remember when just a few years back this pool would have like 12 people. (I couldn't win then either0 :oops:

Yeah, I was intending on getting in too. My post above shows my interest, but then the OP says "sorry folks, all closed now", cutting me off at some random way-early date of choosing. Since the website does all the scoring and will not allow anyone in after the tourney starts anyway, then why is there a cut off? Also, I can't help but feeling ignored about my suggestion of rewarding a 2nd and 3rd place to make the interest level higher for all involved, instead of just one fan/member gets 25+ boots. The last place 5 or so finishers in scoring send to the 3rd place winner. The next 7-8 finishers send to the 2nd place winner, and the rest send to the 1st place winner, or any such % breakdown for 1st, 2nd and 3rd (perhaps 70-20-10 %). It seems like the only work done would be for a joining fan to the pool to pm their address and pledge their boot or "any in goods". Why not extend the cut off for another entire week to grow the pool/fun since the brackets won't begin to be scored until next Thursday the 15th anyway. There are a million different ways the brackets can turn out, more members only means more boots to go around.
    1/95 DC 7/95 Chicago Tor Tol Cha 96 AlpV I II Chi St L KC 98 BSB I II 99 Phx Vegas Fresno SBern 00 BSB I II 01 (met ed) Vegas Phx Fargo St. Paul Chicago Alpine V Indy Col Virg Phi I II MSG I II (got on DVD!) 03 Calg 05 Clev Vegas LA I II SBar 06 Lon Dus Cop Nij Bel 07 Phi I II DC MSG I II Har BOS I II 08, LA3/4, SD '09, MSG I II '10, Missoula, London ONT, Wrigley, SD, LA1/2, Portland. Wrigley '16 I and II. 
  • Options
    Vedderhead1Vedderhead1 Posts: 189
    :roll:

You fail to take into account that you could have a three way tie for second, or third etc....Then who gets what? It's a fun pool that I was in last year, and would like to thank the organizer again for taking the time to do this again...

On that note

GO CUSE!
  • Options
    :roll:

You fail to take into account that you could have a three way tie for second, or third etc....Then who gets what?

And by your logic, who's to say that there wouldn't be a 3-way tie for first either?
    We'd do what all pools do in that case. Online they have you enter in the total points scored in the championship game to break all ties. Closest to that number takes the place. When we enter into the brackets, I'm almost positive they'll have us enter in the total points. That's what has always been done and I'm sure will be part of it again. :roll:
  • Options
    lippy002 wrote:

Yeah, I was intending on getting in too. My post above shows my interest, but then the OP says "sorry folks, all closed now", cutting me off at some random way-early date of choosing. Since the website does all the scoring and will not allow anyone in after the tourney starts anyway, then why is there a cut off? Also, I can't help but feeling ignored about my suggestion of rewarding a 2nd and 3rd place to make the interest level higher for all involved, instead of just one fan/member gets 25+ boots. The last place 5 or so finishers in scoring send to the 3rd place winner. The next 7-8 finishers send to the 2nd place winner, and the rest send to the 1st place winner, or any such % breakdown for 1st, 2nd and 3rd (perhaps 70-20-10 %). It seems like the only work done would be for a joining fan to the pool to pm their address and pledge their boot or "any in goods". Why not extend the cut off for another entire week to grow the pool/fun since the brackets won't begin to be scored until next Thursday the 15th anyway. There are a million different ways the brackets can turn out, more members only means more boots to go around.

Wow a little moody, huh? It says if you're interested pledge a boot and send him your address. If you did that and are not in, you have a point. If not, sorry.

And sorry your suggestion wasn't fawned over. I don't know what the work involved in running one of these is, but I'm sure walkunafraid is getting bombarded with pms from interested parties and maybe just skipped over your post. He has been running these pools for a long time and they seem to be doing fine with lots of participants.
  • Options
    rrivers wrote:
    lippy002 wrote:

Wow a little moody, huh? It says if you're interested pledge a boot and send him your address. If you did that and are not in, you have a point. If not, sorry.

And sorry your suggestion wasn't fawned over. I don't know what the work involved in running one of these is, but I'm sure walkunafraid is getting bombarded with pms from interested parties and maybe just skipped over your post. He has been running these pools for a long time and they seem to be doing fine with lots of participants.

Well, I said I wanted in, then the next day (if you follow the post trail up above) he says it's been shut off. I just think it shouldn't be shut off until it starts next Thursday, or maybe the day before. What do you think? Do you think just one fan on here should get 25+ bootlegs that would take quite a while to enjoy, or do you think that there should be 3 lucky winners to get to receive boots? I just think that someone who doesn't score well in the early rounds can still take interest in it if perhaps their later picks (such as the Final 4) can maybe merit them catching 3rd place. I just think it's overkill myself and think that awarding two other members with boots besides the overall winner is the way to go.
  • Options

Well, I said I wanted in, then the next day (if you follow the post trail up above) he says it's been shut off. I just think it shouldn't be shut off until it starts next Thursday, or maybe the day before. What do you think? Do you think just one fan on here should get 25+ bootlegs that would take quite a while to enjoy, or do you think that there should be 3 lucky winners to get to receive boots? I just think that someone who doesn't score well in the early rounds can still take interest in it if perhaps their later picks (such as the Final 4) can maybe merit them catching 3rd place. I just think it's overkill myself and think that awarding two other members with boots besides the overall winner is the way to go.

I think he was nice enough to run this in the first place. He was clear with his guidelines. If you're not happy with that, feel free to start your own.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Options
    I see a post where you say "I'm thinking about entering, Paul".

I don't understand why you are saying things like "I just think it shouldn't be shut off until it starts next Thursday" and getting upset because your suggestion wasn't included. Paul made the rules, set up the game, so let's follow it. I think it's good to make suggestions, but just because they aren't followed don't let it bother you. I don't know his reason for keeping it to 25 people, but for all his pools (and he has run quite a few very successful ones) he always cuts it off. Maybe so he will not have a huge number of people to have to keep bugging about making sure they send the boot when it's all done. The thing is Paul is a cool guy and if you approach him in a cool way, I bet he would let you in. But complaining about how the game is run is not the best way to do it.
  • Options
    rrivers wrote:
    I see a post where you say "I'm thinking about entering, Paul".

I don't understand why you are saying things like "I just think it shouldn't be shut off until it starts next Thursday" and getting upset because your suggestion wasn't included. Paul made the rules, set up the game, so let's follow it. I think it's good to make suggestions, but just because they aren't followed don't let it bother you. I don't know his reason for keeping it to 25 people, but for all his pools (and he has run quite a few very successful ones) he always cuts it off. Maybe so he will not have a huge number of people to have to keep bugging about making sure they send the boot when it's all done. The thing is Paul is a cool guy and if you approach him in a cool way, I bet he would let you in. But complaining about how the game is run is not the best way to do it.

I'm not complaining about how the game is run. For me, I was deciding whether I wanted to join or not based on a chance to possibly win some boots. All bracket pools I have ever been in for a long time have always had more than just one winner. So for me it just hinged on this. It was merely a suggestion to improve the pool and add interest. If it doesn't change for the better, that's fine. I think I'll opt out if it's only going to be one of us who gets 26 boots only. No big deal. Fun to be had. Hope all are interested till the very end, and wish all the luck of the Irish.
  • Options
    I'm just going to address all concerns in one lump reply, since I am (and have been) on limited time:

- I didn't intend to ignore anyone's suggestions. In fact, Mamasan, note that I took your earlier suggestion and changed up the scoring format for the pool in order to better reward those who pick teams that make it to later rounds. I am open minded to any suggestions; unfortunately, as stated above, I have been very busy lately. It's testing season for high school kids in California and I've been spending many extra hours trying to plan and teach lessons to get my students ready. Add that to advising three clubs and coaching a sport, and I've had very little time for anything. I apologize for having fallen behind a bit in updating this pool and responding to people's concerns. I'm doing the best I can.

- If nobody objects, I'm fine with adding more people to the pool. I've always set the limit at 25 because, to be honest, it makes handling PM's, addresses, holding people accountable for sending out their pledges, etc. much more manageable.

Interestingly, we have never even reached 20 in this pool before. I'm excited that this year has inspired so much interest, and am certainly willing to add whoever wants to join before the bracket is announced. Anybody who would still like to join, please state your pledge and PM me your e-mail/mailing address and I will add you to the list. Just make sure you do this before Selection Sunday.

- Having multiple winners is easy when you're playing for money and simply have to separate the pot by percentages. It's a lot more complicated when you're playing for CD bootlegs (and other goods) pledged individually by separate members. Under your scenario, what happens if the best prize (say, for example, someone pledged a valuable poster) was pledged by the person who finished in last place? Would it then be fair that the best prize goes to the third place winner rather than the first place winner? And how do we judge the "value" of prizes when some pledges are potentially more attractive than others? Add to that the extra work I'd have to put in PMing separate people separate addresses and having to manage sent/received updates from three separate winners, and it's simply too much confusion.

I've always run my pools as winner take all, and that's how they will remain. I've considered other options before and haven't come up with a scenario that would work fairly and that I'd be okay with in terms of workload. Sorry.

- On the plus side, I do think that previous winners will attest that receiving 24+ prizes is certainly not "overkill." 8-)

Sorry for the long post. If anybody has further suggestions or questions, please feel free to post them here or PM me. I'll try to get back to you as soon as I can, but can't guarantee anything immediate.

Finally...good luck to all who have already joined.