Options

PJ NCAA March Madness Pool - TIME TO PAY UP!

walkunafraidwalkunafraid Posts: 2,557
edited May 2012 in The Porch
And the winner is...Jonathan (EdsonNascimento)! 8-):D

Big congrats to him, and a big thank you to everyone for participating.

Now, of course, it's time to pay up. Since the majority of you pledged a "winner's choice" boot, it's easiest and best to ask each of you to contact Jonathan directly for his address. Obviously, if you did pledge a winner's choice option, this will also be the best means for finding out what he wants from you.

Please remember to send out your pledge in a timely fashion (within a week from the final game...which means by next Monday). When you send out your pledge, please post here to let us know. I will be keeping track of sent/received packages so that we can all see who is/isn't paying up.

That about covers it. Thanks again to everyone for playing. Looking forward to the next pool!

Update: Sign ups for the pool are now closed. If you have joined AND have already submitted your pledge and PM'd me your address, you may now sign up for the league. As per my post at the end of this thread:
Rather than PM you all individually (that takes a lot of time), I'm just going to post the link to the pool and the password here. If you're not signed up for the pool, please DO NOT sign up. You will be deleted if you do so.

If you are participating in the pool, PLEASE SIGN UP FOR THE POOL WITH A TEAM NAME THE SAME (OR VERY SIMILAR) TO YOUR USERNAME ON THIS PEARL JAM BOARD. Doing so will make it much easier for us to know who is who, and for me to keep track of who has/has not joined the league.

Finally, I don't assume that all members check this thread every day, so if you are playing and are close to any of the other participants, drop them a line and let them know that the link is live here. That will save me a bit of trouble down the road.

Thanks!

And here is the link to the league: http://tournament.fantasysports.yahoo.c ... P=inhiding

Group ID: 17603
Password: inhiding
=============================================================================================

After last year's successful PJ NCAA March Madness pool (see the thread here: http://forums.pearljam.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=151084), I have decided to run another pool for the upcoming NCAA tournament. This is one of the great sporting events of the year and it presents an exciting opportunity for another PJ pool.

If you have participated in the Super Bowl pools in the past, the NCAA pool will work a lot of differently. Rather than a board that will be based on the winning score, this time around I want to run a traditional NCAA Bracket pool. That means that each participant will have to fill out a tournament bracket and pick who they think will win each round of games. We will be using Yahoo!s "Tournament Pick 'em" game to conduct our pool. That means that each participant will need to have a Yahoo e-mail address (or create a Yahoo address -- it's free) in order to participate.

I have already created a private group at Yahoo and will provide the league ID and password (via PM) upon completion of the participant list for our pool.

The rules are pretty simple. On Sunday, March 11 the brackets/seedings will be announced. Between that time and the time the first tournament game is played (on Thursday, March 15), each participant will need to fill out his/her bracket on the Yahoo Pick 'Em site. Yahoo will then track how each participant fares as the games are played. We will use a basic scoring system in which every team picked correctly in the first round earns 1 point, each winning team picked correctly in the second round earns 2 points, each winning third round team earns 4 points, etc., up until the final, in which the having picked the winning team will earn the participant 36 points. There will also be an opportunity to earn bonus points by picking upsets (the bonus points will be the difference between seeding -- so if a #12 seed defeats a #8 seed you earn four bonus points, for example). Of course, all brackets must be filled out in full before the 15th, so the challenge is to have correctly identified at least one of the two teams in the Finals so that you at least have a shot at those 6 points when the game is played.

To make this a Pearl Jam board, the cost of playing will not be money, but rather a Pearl Jam 2000, 2003, 2008, 2009, 2010, or 2011 official bootleg -- or a PJ item of greater or equal value (please, please, please, no burned copies!!). So, if you are the winner, every other participant will have to send you the Pearl Jam bootleg they pledge in this thread.

Here are some other rules for the game:

1. You must be 18 or over to play!

2. In the case of a tie, winners will split the prizes. Each winner will take turns selecting the item from the list that he/she wants until all have been selected. First choice will be determined by random draw.

3. You MUST pledge an OFFICIAL PJ bootleg when you sign up. That means no burned copies; I want to make this worthwhile for us collectors! If you have another item of equal or greater value that you would like to pledge, you may do so ONLY if you offer it as an alternative to an official bootleg; for example, you may offer "LA 9/30/09 official boot OR Yield vinyl WINNER'S CHOICE", but you may not offer the vinyl itself without the option of an official boot.

The bootleg may be new or used, but it must be in good (playable) condition. Also, only boots that were not commercially released are accepted (for example, please don't pledge State College '03).

Once somebody has pledged a specific boot, please do not repeat the same show. I would prefer that whoever wins gets a variety of different boots, not a number of the same ones.

4. If you enter, you MUST pay up if you lose. As you all know, building a reputation as a reliable person is important on this board -- enough said. Please be committed to sending the boot you pledge to the winner within a week after the game ends.

5. Participants must send me their e-mail and the address that they want their prizes to be sent if they win BEFORE Thursday, March 15. This is simply to ensure that all members are committed to following through with their pledge. I will be in charge of distributing the winner's address to the other participants when the game is over.

8. Sign-ups for the game will end on Thursday, 3/15 or when 30 people sign up (whichever happens first).

If anyone has any problems with these rules, or anything that's need to be added, please let me know.

Here are a list of the participants (will be updated as people sign up):

1. walkunafraid -- San Bernardino 10/28/2000 (official bootleg) package sent
2. mfc2006 -- any boot or scratch & dent poster in the goods section package sent
3. nothingman203 -- any boot or scratch & dent in Goods
4. cjzoly -- any boot available in Goods
5. GivenToJam88 -- any boot available in Goods
5. EdsonNascimento -- Any non deluxe cd in goods (obviously including boots)
6. JK36392 -- 6/26/00 hamburg (official bootleg)
7. CD15999 -- any boot currently in the Goods section package sent
8. AtlantaJammer -- any boot currently in the Goods section
9. BabaBooey1979 --
10. PNuttyJam -- any boot available in Goods package sent
11. rstein27 -- anything from the goods section up to $20 package sent

13. maynardsux -- any boot from goods package sent
14. themessenger -- -Paris - 6/8/2000, Eifel, Germany - 6/9/2000, Or any new bootleg in goods package sent
15. NAUjackfan -- any boot from goods
16. rrivers -- any boot from goods package sent
17. down_ski -- Seattle, 11/06/2000

19. stickman -- Hartford 2008 (official boot)
20. dwhite76 -- any boot in goods
21. PJ Fan est. 1990 -- any boot in goods
22. presentents -- August 9,2000 West Palm Beach No.30
23. acpaxton01 -- any boot from goods package sent
24. bry321f11 -- any boot from goods
25. Vedderhead1 -- any boot from goods
26. MayDay10 -- any boot from goods package sent
27. jopetto75 -- anything from the goods section up to $20
28. VinylGirl - any boot in goods package sent
29. lippy002 - 6-15-00 Poland
30. I Cant Believe Its Ledbetter - any boot in goods package sent

If you are interested in joining the pool, please post in this thread and indicate which official boot (or other PJ item) you will be putting in to the pot. You will not be added to the list until you indicate the specific boot you would like to pledge. Also, please PM me your e-mail address and the mailing address that you want your prizes to be sent in case you are the winner as soon as possible. I will be updating the list above as boots and names are added.

Thanks.
Everything has chains...Absolutely nothing's changed. - PJ

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    you know i'm in, Paul!!!

ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK!!!!!

my pledge: winner's choice---any boot or scratch & dent poster in the goods section :D
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    Im in. Winner gets any boot or scratch & dent in Goods
    "I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as Josh Homme"
  • Options
    cjzolycjzoly Posts: 508
    Im in...Any boot available in the 10C....
    I'm a Thief, I'm a Liar, There's my Church, I sing in the Choir...Hallelujah...
  • Options
    Been noticing that lately almost everyone's pledge in my pools is "any boot in Goods." What do you all think of this? I personally long for the days when everyone chose something concrete to pledge, but I may be in the minority with that. Just curious as to your thoughts because I'm considering removing the "any boot in Goods" option from the next pool...

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    Been noticing that lately almost everyone's pledge in my pools is "any boot in Goods." What do you all think of this? I personally long for the days when everyone chose something concrete to pledge, but I may be in the minority with that. Just curious as to your thoughts because I'm considering removing the "any boot in Goods" option from the next pool...

i think i've always done it this way....

i can pledge a boot that i already own if you'd like.

the upside is that the winner gets to choose a show they don't have....
    the downside is that fewer 2000 boots are pledged. and, for that matter...fewer "other goods" are pledged.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    i just dont have many boots and the ones I do have are the 2011 boots from SA (which is only 3 of them). I figure this way it helps someone get stuff they dont already have just like mfc was saying.
    "I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as Josh Homme"
  • Options
    mfc2006 wrote:

the downside is that fewer 2000 boots are pledged. and, for that matter...fewer "other goods" are pledged.

Not necessary for you to do that, just kind of voicing my thoughts. You make a good point about the winner getting to choose stuff they don't already have. For someone who has a big collection, that's important. Also, as the post above suggests, having the "winner's choice" option allows for more people to play, which is critical to the pool's success. So I think I'll leave it as is. Thanks for the feedback, guys. 8-)

• Options
    GivenToJam88GivenToJam88 NJ Posts: 1,187
    mfc2006 wrote:

Not necessary for you to do that, just kind of voicing my thoughts. You make a good point about the winner getting to choose stuff they don't already have. For someone who has a big collection, that's important. Also, as the post above suggests, having the "winner's choice" option allows for more people to play, which is critical to the pool's success. So I think I'll leave it as is. Thanks for the feedback, guys. 8-)

On that note, any boot winners choice ;)
    2006: 5/28
    2008: 6/19, 6/24, 6/25
    2009: 6/14 (EV), 10/27, 10/28
    2010: 5/17
    2011: 6/21 (EV), 6/22 (EV), 9/11, 9/12
    2012: 9/2
    2013: 10/15, 10/16, 10/19, 10/21, 10/22, 10/27, 11/23, 11/24
    2014: 10/19
    2016: 5/1, 5/2, 5/8
    2018: 8/20, 9/2, 9/4
  • Options
    The term March Madness is politically incorrect and insults people with mental illness.
    I plan on filing a complaint with NAMI :lol:
  • Options
    pearljim10pearljim10 AZ Posts: 404
    edited March 2012
    i would like to join this year because i miss out every year. i have a New York boot. i'm not sure of the year but i'm pretty sure it's 2003. i will update this post tomorrow when i find it. thanks

UPDATE: yeah it is a 2003 boot but it wasn't NY. It's July 11 2003 Mansfield Massachusetts 3 disc bootleg.

Please let me know if i have to do anything else to sign-up.
    Post edited by pearljim10 on
    The plural of VINYL is VINYL. slh

1996 - Randalls Island 9/28 9/29, Buffalo 10/1
    1998 - Camden 8/28 8/29, East Rutherford 9/8, MSG 9/10, Hartford 9/13
    2000 - Letterman 4/12, Jones Beach 8/23 8/24 8/25, Saratoga Springs 8/27
    2003 - Long Island 4/30, Phoenix 6/7, MSG 7/8 7/9
    2006 - San Diego 7/7
    2009 - Philly IV 10/31
    2010 - MSG 5/20 5/21
    2011 - PJ20 Movie 9/23
    2012 - EV Phoenix 4/13
    2013 - Phoenix 11/19
    2016 - Telluride 7/10
    2018 - Boston/Fenway 9/4
    2019 - EV Tempe Innings Festival 3/3
  • Options
    Awesome! I'm in. Any non deluxe cd in goods (obviously including boots).
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Options
    JK36392JK36392 Posts: 840
    im in if i can. i will give a 2000 bootleg. how about 6/26/00 hamburg.
  • Options
    CD15999CD15999 Posts: 92
    I'm in...with any boot currently in the Goods section...thanks.
  • Options
    AtlantaJammerAtlantaJammer Posts: 2,611
    CD15999 wrote:
    I'm in...with any boot currently in the Goods section...thanks.

+1. Thanks Paul
  • Options
    LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    I have Sydney 2/11/2003 and Memphis 8/15/2000
  • Options
    PNuttyJamPNuttyJam Posts: 837
    PM sent. Going with the increasingly popular "any boot available in Goods" pledge.

Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!
    Mesa I - 11/93 * Toledo - 9/96 * Chicago - 6/98 * St Louis - 7/98 * Indy - 8/98 * St Louis & San Diego - 10/00 * Mt View II - 10/01 * Irvine I & II, San Diego - 6/03 * Chicago I - 5/06 * San Diego & SF III - 7/06 * Lolla - 8/07 * EV Chicago - 8/08 * Chicago I & II - 8/09 * Kansas City & Indy - 5/10 * PJ20 X2 - 9/11 * Atlanta 9/12 * Wrigley Field 7/13 * Moline & Milwaukee 10/14 * Wrigley Field I & II 8/16 * Wrigley Field I & II 8/18 * Ohana Encore I & II 10/21 * EV & The Earthlings Chicago II 2/22
    Won the lottery PJ20 Night 1 - Front Row in front of Jeff - Forever grateful to Ten Club
    ***I wanna live my life with the volume full***
  • Options
    rstein27rstein27 Racine, WI Posts: 220
    I'm in...i'll pledge anything from the goods section up to $20 (in case the winner is looking for something particular other than a boot).

You should have my address from the Super Bowl pools, if not, let me know and i'll PM it.

Rick
    Pearl Jam: East Troy 1998, Chicago 1&2 2009, Philly 4 2009, PJ20 1&2 2011, Wrigley Field 2013, Brooklyn 1&2 2013, Moline 2014, Milwaukee 2014, Wrigley Field 1&2 2016, London 1 2018, Wrigley 1, 2018

EV Solo: Milwaukee 2008, Chicago 1 2009, Seattle 2 2009. Ft Lauderdale 2 2012
  • Options
    rstein27rstein27 Racine, WI Posts: 220
    Oh yeah...go Marquette!
    Pearl Jam: East Troy 1998, Chicago 1&2 2009, Philly 4 2009, PJ20 1&2 2011, Wrigley Field 2013, Brooklyn 1&2 2013, Moline 2014, Milwaukee 2014, Wrigley Field 1&2 2016, London 1 2018, Wrigley 1, 2018

EV Solo: Milwaukee 2008, Chicago 1 2009, Seattle 2 2009. Ft Lauderdale 2 2012
  • Options
    skere26skere26 Posts: 304
    I'm in.

I'll reply with my bootleg (go buy one at lunch..local record store has tons from trade-ins)
  • Options
    maynardsuxmaynardsux Posts: 1,085
    I'm in.....any boot from goods
    '93 Toronto
    '94 Detroit
    '10 Columbus
    '11 Detroit (Eddie solo), Toronto 1 and 2, Ottawa, Hamilton
    '13 London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    '14 Detroit
    '16 Ottawa, Toronto 1 and 2, Chicago 1 and 2
    '18 Chicago 1 and 2
    '22 Hamilton, Toronto
  • Options
    themessengerthemessenger Dallas Posts: 1,320
    I'm in for this. I'll pledge either:
    -Paris - 6/8/2000
    -Eifel, Germany - 6/9/2000
    -Or any new bootleg in goods
  • Options
    I've run the bracket tournament at my work for a long time, and I got to say that the scoring you set up is really not the best. In the first round, a 12 seed almost always beats a 5, and there are several other upsets like an 11 over a 6 etc. So, with the 12 beating a 5, a person would score their first round point, plus 7 bonus points, for a total of 8 points. But someone who correctly picks the overall winner of the entire tournament is only going to get 6 points? Or picking the correct team to make it to the championship game gets only 5 points, but someone who picks the first round upset of an 11 beating a 6 gets the same amount or one point less even? I just think that this is a slightly flawed way to go about it, imo. What does everyone else think? You really should increase the ascending rounds to be worth more points if you're going to use the bonus upset points.
    1/95 DC 7/95 Chicago Tor Tol Cha 96 AlpV I II Chi St L KC 98 BSB I II 99 Phx Vegas Fresno SBern 00 BSB I II 01 (met ed) Vegas Phx Fargo St. Paul Chicago Alpine V Indy Col Virg Phi I II MSG I II (got on DVD!) 03 Calg 05 Clev Vegas LA I II SBar 06 Lon Dus Cop Nij Bel 07 Phi I II DC MSG I II Har BOS I II 08, LA3/4, SD '09, MSG I II '10, Missoula, London ONT, Wrigley, SD, LA1/2, Portland. Wrigley '16 I and II. 
  • Options
    Vedderhead1Vedderhead1 Posts: 189
    To the person who won last year...

Please PM me...
  • Options
    NAUjackfanNAUjackfan Phoenix Posts: 2,340
    I'm in! Any boot in goods.
    tumblr_mtr9t5SROk1r0d33so1_400.gif
    Click to visit the Arizona PJ Fans Page

PJ
    PHX 98|ABQ, PHX, Seattle 00|PHX 03|Arras 10|PJ20 1&2 11|Missoula 12|PHX, SD, LA 1&2 13|Denver 14|Telluride 16
    EV
    Vegas 1&2, PHX 12|Ohana 16
    TOTD
    LA 16
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,688
    I'm in. Any goods boot.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    down_skidown_ski Posts: 328
    edited March 2012
    This sounds awesome! I love march madness.

I'll be pledging an official bootleg from NYC, NY 07-09-03

EDIT: I guess this probably falls under the category of "Commercially released", I'll dig around and try to find something else.

EDIT EDIT: I'll pledge my Seattle, WA November 6th, 2000.
    Post edited by down_ski on
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,688

I understand your point, but for me personally I like this option. I don't have a ton of boots myself and the ones I have (mostly 2000/2003) I would like to keep the originals.

But if I won, I would like to get a wide variety from all PJ eras since they have been releasing official bootlegs and I would bet most people would like that as well if they won. The problem is, obviously, most people are not going to win and it is so much easier just to buy the winner a boot from goods and have it sent to them rather than pack up your boot and go to the post office. And then you lose your original boot. (I understand this is the price of playing in the game.)

I will try to get to a used record store and buy an older boot and change my pledge so there are some older boots for the winner. Hopefully my "boot from the goods" is just a placeholder to get me in the tourney.

For next pool, maybe suggest as many as can try to send older boots or at least give the winner the option if you are pledging a boot from the goods (some winners might prefer a newer boot if they have the whole set of 2000/2003). Most people on this board are pretty cool and I think would make the effort, especially since you are so cool about doing this, walkunafraid. Thanks, again!
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    pearljim10 wrote:
    i would like to join this year because i miss out every year. i have a New York boot. i'm not sure of the year but i'm pretty sure it's 2003. i will update this post tomorrow when i find it. thanks

UPDATE: yeah it is a 2003 boot but it wasn't NY. It's July 11 2003 Mansfield Massachusetts 3 disc bootleg.

Please let me know if i have to do anything else to sign-up.

Sorry, this was a retail-released bootleg, and therefore is ineligible.

• Options
    rstein27 wrote:
    I'm in...i'll pledge anything from the goods section up to $20 (in case the winner is looking for something particular other than a boot).

You should have my address from the Super Bowl pools, if not, let me know and i'll PM it.

Rick

Hey Rick, I always delete all of the addresses from pools after the event is over. Can you resend please?

• Options
    rrivers wrote:

I understand your point, but for me personally I like this option. I don't have a ton of boots myself and the ones I have (mostly 2000/2003) I would like to keep the originals.

But if I won, I would like to get a wide variety from all PJ eras since they have been releasing official bootlegs and I would bet most people would like that as well if they won. The problem is, obviously, most people are not going to win and it is so much easier just to buy the winner a boot from goods and have it sent to them rather than pack up your boot and go to the post office. And then you lose your original boot. (I understand this is the price of playing in the game.)

I will try to get to a used record store and buy an older boot and change my pledge so there are some older boots for the winner. Hopefully my "boot from the goods" is just a placeholder to get me in the tourney.

For next pool, maybe suggest as many as can try to send older boots or at least give the winner the option if you are pledging a boot from the goods (some winners might prefer a newer boot if they have the whole set of 2000/2003). Most people on this board are pretty cool and I think would make the effort, especially since you are so cool about doing this, walkunafraid. Thanks, again!

No worries, and thanks for the suggestion. I've realized via the responses here and via PM that most people like the "any boot from goods" option, so I think it was just my nostalgia kicking in that made me think about changing things.

All is good, good luck to all.