Do you carry money at all times?

Comments

• PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    81 wrote:
    have a large amount in the safe at home

there was a story the other day in the local paper.. parents were out of town, 15 and 18 year odl girls were at home alone....so being kids, they had a party. 100 prescription pills and 20K vanished during the party.

we had a party once and a bathroom mirror was smashed and a bedroom tv stolen, but that's nothing compared to this. One guy did a flip over the living room railing onto the foyer below and that was a little scary, but . . . then again, my folks didn't have $20k or prescription drugs laying around either

a few of us at the end of the night recollected all the people that were there and the number was 135 people.
  • of.the.girlof.the.girl Posts: 10,026
    under $10. I know the deli down the street from here is like that. Pissed me off one day. :lol:

There's this little Italian specialty shop by my house that does this. It pisses me off beyond belief. For that reason alone I keep cash on me.
  • lukin2006 wrote:
    Checks...are people serious :lol: ? I do not know of any stores that accept these now. I don't remember the last time I wrote a check. I carry cash...and hate it when people hold others up paying debit for a coffee :roll: .

Most of my clients are national retailers. They all accept checks. They use the 'Telecheck' device that scans your check and makes sure that you have the funds in there so they can accept. These devices are often supported by dial up. (No shit, I am talking big 500-1500 chain retailers) So it takes even longer when someone pulls out a check.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • 81 wrote:
    have a large amount in the safe at home

there was a story the other day in the local paper.. parents were out of town, 15 and 18 year odl girls were at home alone....so being kids, they had a party. 100 prescription pills and 20K vanished during the party.

Holy Crap!
    81 wrote:
    i bought a 50 cent newspaper with a card once....didn't even have change in the truck.

:lol: I've done this too. :lol: And it totally pissed the guy off at the gas station too. Oh well.
    What gets me going is when there is a little old lady paying with a check....they run the check and give it back to her. That takes another frakking 15 minutes to explain to her why they are giving her her check back.
  • What gets me going is when there is a little old lady paying with a check....they run the check and give it back to her. That takes another frakking 15 minutes to explain to her why they are giving her her check back.

:lol:
    This takes place AFTER the whole 'coupon routine' which is reason #21 why I think we should all deliver groceries to people over 75.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    81 wrote:

they aren't allowed to do that. call them out on it.

really? Even if they are just a local family business?

or maybe not

http://usa.visa.com/about_visa/ask_visa/index.html

:?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    81 wrote:

Erm...who leaves $20K laying around their house??
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    81 wrote:

Erm...who leaves $20K laying around their house??

stupid people :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    What gets me going is when there is a little old lady paying with a check....they run the check and give it back to her. That takes another frakking 15 minutes to explain to her why they are giving her her check back.

I saw that happen at Walmart last week (not the explaining) but the returning of the check. I haven't used a check in so long at the store, I didn't even know they do that now. I was like, hmm, look at that. :D

But it is absolutely annoying as hell when someone waits to get their total to pay with anything - cash, debit, charge or check. You know you have to pay, at least have your wallet out mother fucker.
  • cowboypjfancowboypjfan Posts: 2,453
    I had a hard time trying to find $3.50 to pay for girl scout cookies last night :lol: Goes to show how much cash I carry..
    crazypjfan wrote:
    I had a hard time trying to find $3.50 to pay for girl scout cookies last night :lol: Goes to show how much cash I carry..

you know it's only a matter of time before they accept debit cards. :lol:
    crazypjfan wrote:

you know it's only a matter of time before they accept debit cards. :lol:

10463231-large.jpg
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    edited February 2012
    81 wrote:
    those holds piss me off....had a hotel do that, and it caused my account to go over...when that happens my CU just transfers the dollars from savings to checking...and charges me a buck....well the hotel caused the CU to do a couple of these transfers...

i know it's only two bucks, but i called up and told them to put the $2's back...they weren't going to until i told them to cut me a check for all my funds and shut the account down. lesson learned...keeping a few dollars in your accounts gives you leverage. :lol:

I wish my CU would do that. Get this, if I go into overdraft, it is a $20 fee per transaction. :shock: No joke.

That was until I discovered that you can set-up your account to decline any transaction if you don't have the funds in your checking account. Ummm... why the fuck wasn't it like that in the first place? I have to have to good credit to be a member, however at default you provide no protection for me overdrawing? I realize ultimately it was my error, but c'mon... provide a safety net for your customers. A little different as it will jsut decline instead of grabbing the necessary funds from another account which I like because if I don't have the money in the first place, I shouldn't be buying it. Being bit by the overdraft a couple times disciplined me and prompted me to discover this blocking feature. Since, I have not entered overdraft.

Just found it really dumb that I had to request to have the feature activated. Other than that though, I love my CU and use plastic more so than I do cash... but I will admit, it is a pain sometimes to have to keep up with transactions that are pending even though most deduct immediately.
    Post edited by dcfaithful on
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,804
    i usually try and a have a few bucks with me.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
    dcfaithful wrote:
    81 wrote:
    those holds piss me off....had a hotel do that, and it caused my account to go over...when that happens my CU just transfers the dollars from savings to checking...and charges me a buck....well the hotel caused the CU to do a couple of these transfers...

i know it's only two bucks, but i called up and told them to put the $2's back...they weren't going to until i told them to cut me a check for all my funds and shut the account down. lesson learned...keeping a few dollars in your accounts gives you leverage. :lol:

I wish my CU would do that. Get this, if I go into overdraft, it is a $20 fee per transaction. :shock: No joke.

Until I discovered that you can set-up your account to decline any transaction if you don't have the funds in your checking account. Ummm... why the fuck wasn't it like that in the first place? I have to have to good credit to be a member, however at default you provide no protection for me overdrawing?

Just found it really dumb that I had to request to have the feature activated. Other than that though, I love my CU and use plastic more so than I do cash... but I will admit, it is a pain sometimes to have to keep up with transactions that are pending even though most deduct immediately.

wow...that's steep for a CU. banks i get...

my CU used to not charge at all, so i never worried about it. now it's a buck.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    dcfaithful wrote:
    81 wrote:

Until I discovered that you can set-up your account to decline any transaction if you don't have the funds in your checking account. Ummm... why the fuck wasn't it like that in the first place? I have to have to good credit to be a member, however at default you provide no protection for me overdrawing?

wow...that's steep for a CU. banks i get...

my CU used to not charge at all, so i never worried about it. now it's a buck.

I always thought that was incredibly steep for a CU too. In any case, I'm glad I discovered the loop-hole that I think should ultimately be the default of an account when set up, but whatever.

Even so, I still prefer my CU far more than any bank I was with prior to signing up with the CU. Fuck banks.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    seems like that "feature" would be defaulted to on....

it's best to just be rich and not worry about cash :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    edited February 2012
    I know times have changed and the days of carrying a fairly large amount of money in your wallet are gone, but do you carry some amount at all times? I know I do.

My co-worker, who is probably about 15 years younger than me, recently traveled and while on a toll road, was shocked that the toll booths didn’t take debit cards. So she had to write out four checks for very small amounts to pay her tolls.

I was amazed, she said she never has money on her. I guess it's a generational thing?? I wonder what they would have done if she didn't have her check book with her.
    they would have took her info, license plate numbers/letters, and gave her a little form and she would have to mail it in with a penalty adjusted into her payment.
    Post edited by chadwick on
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    I used to think that I'd spend less if I didn't carry any cash, but I ended up spending more on atm fees and bulking up my snack purchases in order to make the required minimum credit card purchase.
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    I don't carry much cash consistently. I always forget to replenish my stash
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    the amount of money some of you spend in a week is freaking mind blowing ....$20 -$50 ....

how in hell!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :? :? :? :? :?
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    i just did $ 20 worth of laundry in 2 hours
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......

20 bucks to do laundry :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • 81 wrote:

20 bucks to do laundry :lol:

$20????????????? That is insane.
  • the amount of money some of you spend in a week is freaking mind blowing ....$20 -$50 ....

Cigarettes and alcohol aren't cheap. Well actually the alcohol is pretty cheap.
  • always
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
    the amount of money some of you spend in a week is freaking mind blowing ....$20 -$50 ....

Cigarettes and alcohol aren't cheap. Well actually the alcohol is pretty cheap.
    Two words: Sunny Brook.

Cheap, does the job, but my lord is that shit horrible.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    Not much cash - usually around $20,

but I use and carry that Debit Card ALWAYS and I read thats the worst thing to use and have on you. :)
    ********************************************************************************************* image