Do you carry money at all times?

PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
edited February 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
I know times have changed and the days of carrying a fairly large amount of money in your wallet are gone, but do you carry some amount at all times? I know I do.

My co-worker, who is probably about 15 years younger than me, recently traveled and while on a toll road, was shocked that the toll booths didn’t take debit cards. So she had to write out four checks for very small amounts to pay her tolls.

I was amazed, she said she never has money on her. I guess it's a generational thing?? I wonder what they would have done if she didn't have her check book with her.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    I guess what surprises me more about the above example is that she doesn't carry money, but does carry a checkbook! :lol:

I don't usually carry a checkbook.

I usually only have a few dollars in cash. Everything else is debit.

God help me if a cyberterrorist ever strikes the ATM network!
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    i'm going back to cash more

big stuff is plastic...but about once a week i get 100 bucks from the grocery store

i got tired of having a shit ton of reciepts in my wallet.

only carry my checkbook when i know i need it.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • USARAYUSARAY Posts: 517
    yep cash only transactions
  • I know times have changed and the days of carrying a fairly large amount of money in your wallet are gone, but do you carry some amount at all times? I know I do.

My co-worker, who is probably about 15 years younger than me, recently traveled and while on a toll road, was shocked that the toll booths didn’t take debit cards. So she had to write out four checks for very small amounts to pay her tolls.

I was amazed, she said she never has money on her. I guess it's a generational thing?? I wonder what they would have done if she didn't have her check book with her.

I usually jsut debit most things unless I know I'm going somewhere that I will need cash. The toll thing is a bit much....pretty ridiculous that someone would assume that they take cards.
    I know times have changed and the days of carrying a fairly large amount of money in your wallet are gone, but do you carry some amount at all times? I know I do.

I usually jsut debit most things unless I know I'm going somewhere that I will need cash. The toll thing is a bit much....pretty ridiculous that someone would assume that they take cards.

ipass from here to jersey.... :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • guitar59guitar59 Posts: 1,221
    edited February 2012
    Don't often have it...seems that every time I do I wind up giving it to the kids or using it to pay for something for their school. Never seem to have any cheques either :(
    I keep a loaded Starbucks card with me at all times...hate using the debit card for $2 purchases.
    Post edited by guitar59 on
  • maj4emaj4e Posts: 605
    No cash unless travelling.
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    81 wrote:
    ipass from here to jersey.... :lol:

:lol:

If she was traveling in Jersey she would be writing about 30 checks for small amounts. :lol::lol:

And it kind of absurd to think you can use a debit card at a toll booth.
  • EmBleveEmBleve Posts: 3,019
    Yes. It's easier because I don't have to keep up with my checking account as much, and no fees, etc. For example, if I use my debit card to get gas, there is like a $40 hold on my checking account for 3 days, even if I get $10 in gas, and my bank is collecting the interest on that apparently. Things like that make no sense to me, so cash it is.
  • StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
    i NEVER carry cash...and there are lots of times when i feel like a fool because i have to use a credit card for the tiniest amount

i even had to use my card to get a coke zero out of the hospital vending machine the other night..good thing the machine accepts cards

a check once in a great while..but all purchases via plastic

otherwise, i'm likely to forget what i spent it all on ;)
    peace,
    jo

http://www.Etsy.com/Shop/SimpleEarthCreations
    "How I choose to feel is how I am." ~ EV/MMc
    "Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
    EmBleve wrote:
    Yes. It's easier because I don't have to keep up with my checking account as much, and no fees, etc. For example, if I use my debit card to get gas, there is like a $40 hold on my checking account for 3 days, even if I get $10 in gas, and my bank is collecting the interest on that apparently. Things like that make no sense to me, so cash it is.

10 bucks in gas :? why stop.

those holds piss me off....had a hotel do that, and it caused my account to go over...when that happens my CU just transfers the dollars from savings to checking...and charges me a buck....well the hotel caused the CU to do a couple of these transfers...

i know it's only two bucks, but i called up and told them to put the $2's back...they weren't going to until i told them to cut me a check for all my funds and shut the account down. lesson learned...keeping a few dollars in your accounts gives you leverage. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    My ol lady is a hair dresser/stylist and we always have cash because of it.

I hate checks. Especially when people use them in the express checkout line at the grocery store

I hate checks. Especially when people use them in the express checkout line at the grocery store

or the self check out line. :roll:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    EmBleve wrote:

:lol: I live in a small town, and work very close to my house, so if I'm low on funds or for whatever reason, I will sometimes just get $10. That can last me a week, depending on where I go. That was just an example, though, because I could get $10 or $50, and that $40 hold for 3 days is still put on there.
  • 81 wrote:

those holds piss me off....had a hotel do that, and it caused my account to go over...when that happens my CU just transfers the dollars from savings to checking...and charges me a buck....well the hotel caused the CU to do a couple of these transfers...

i know it's only two bucks, but i called up and told them to put the $2's back...they weren't going to until i told them to cut me a check for all my funds and shut the account down. lesson learned...keeping a few dollars in your accounts gives you leverage. :lol:

Same thing happened to me when I used my debit card for a hotel. That is ridiculous. Now I only use credit when reserving a hotel.
    EmBleve wrote:
    81 wrote:
    EmBleve wrote:

:lol: I live in a small town, and work very close to my house, so if I'm low on funds or for whatever reason, I will sometimes just get $10. That can last me a week, depending on where I go. That was just an example, though, because I could get $10 or $50, and that $40 hold for 3 days is still put on there.

time for a new gas station or bank...i typically show a $1 pre charge before the full amount clears...i've never seen a 40 hold on my account for gas....but i only stop when i am below a 1/4 tank or gas prices are jumping and i have less than 3/4's.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • 81 wrote:

I hate when people write a check at any type of store.
    81 wrote:

Same thing happened to me when I used my debit card for a hotel. That is ridiculous. Now I only use credit when reserving a hotel.

worse...it was a job interview out here, and the company picked up the hotel room :roll:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:

as long as they fill in the pay to and sign it before they get the total, i'm ok with it.

if it's a big purchase (over 1K) it's easier for me to write a check. my CU limits my debit card to 1K unless i call them first to have it adjusted. learned that lesson the hard way. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    EmBleve wrote:

Yes! It makes me mad, too. My bank does those transfers automatically, too, and charges me for it.
    81 wrote:
    time for a new gas station or bank...i typically show a $1 pre charge before the full amount clears...i've never seen a 40 hold on my account for gas....but i only stop when i am below a 1/4 tank or gas prices are jumping and i have less than 3/4's.
    Yeah, and get this--last year it was $1.50. Then one day I got gas (like $26, I think to be exact), and I look online and see this $38 charge..I called the bank and they said the $1.50 fee went up to $38 and it's for 3 days regardless--the actual amount of purchase doesn't show up for those 3 days. It makes no sense to me--my boss is the one who told me it's so the bank can make the interest off all the people using their debit cards.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,933
    ALWAYS carry money....you people who hold up the line with your checks and CCs piss me off :lol:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    EmBleve wrote:
    81 wrote:
    Yeah, and get this--last year it was $1.50. Then one day I got gas (like $26, I think to be exact), and I look online and see this $38 charge..I called the bank and they said the $1.50 fee went up to $38 and it's for 3 days regardless--the actual amount of purchase doesn't show up for those 3 days. It makes no sense to me--my boss is the one who told me it's so the bank can make the interest off all the people using their debit cards.

it's so they can protect themselves....but to charge you 38 bucks to trasfer a few bucks...nutty.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,431
    yes. and i don't feel comfortable unless i have at least $40 on me. just for an emergency cash is important. everywhere and everyone takes cash.
    imalive wrote:
    ALWAYS carry money....you people who hold up the line with your checks and CCs piss me off :lol:

but that's how i get my cash. :lol: i don't have an atm for my CU within 250 miles of my place...unless i do shared banking. it's just so easy to grab 100 bucks at the store vs. driving out of my way to visit a CU.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:

:( It is annoying, yes, and I rarely use checks unless I mail in a payment or something, but my dad is old school and writes checks. I hope nobody is behind him in lines talking sh^t about him.
  • pjhawks wrote:
    yes. and i don't feel comfortable unless i have at least $40 on me. just for an emergency cash is important. everywhere and everyone takes cash.

I need to start doing this. My dad is always telling me I'm an idiot because I never carry cash.
  • 81 wrote:
    as long as they fill in the pay to and sign it before they get the total, i'm ok with it.

if it's a big purchase (over 1K) it's easier for me to write a check. my CU limits my debit card to 1K unless i call them first to have it adjusted. learned that lesson the hard way. :lol:

True. I just hate when someone is told what their total is and then reaches into their purse or pocket and pulls out the checkbook.....those people qualify for the ratfuck thread.
    81 wrote:
    EmBleve wrote:
    81 wrote:

it's so they can protect themselves....but to charge you 38 bucks to trasfer a few bucks...nutty.
    eeps...no, no...it's only a few bucks for an overdraft transfer from savings to checkings...that $38 hold seems to only be for using a debit card at a gas pump. But I guess technically if you only had $40 in your bank account, you could get $75 in gas and have 3 days to deposit some money to cover it. :mrgreen:
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    i only use money..no debit shit

people use a card for coffee and a bagel :roll: wtf

eveyone should have a few actually dollars in their pocket for emergencies
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......