Options

PJ Please play Super Bowl half time show next year!

1235»

Comments

• Options
    BF25394 said:
    devonfz said:
    Hasn’t been a rock band in years that played all by themselves. They only do crossover hip-hop, rap, and I doubt they’re changing. The shows have been only entertaining in the absolute horribleness and cringe worthy Ness sadly, the only rock ‘n’ roll band playing this show anytime soon and my guess would be the Foo Fighters
    The last rock band to headline was Coldplay in 2016. There have been plenty of non-hip-hop pop acts since then: Lady Gaga, Justin Timberlake, Maroon 5, Shakira and Jennifer Lopez, The Weeknd and Rihanna.

This is a very tough gig to pull off. Prince set the bar. Bruno Mars was pretty great. If they had him perform every year at the Super Bowl and the Grammys, I'd be happy. Shakira and J. Lo were surprisingly entertaining. The Dr. Dre/Snoop/Eminem hip-hop all-stars was pretty good.

Eminem is pretty much the only old white guy to headline since The Who in 2010, and he might be the last one for a while. (And, yes, as depressing as it is to think about for a fellow child of the mid-'70s, Eminem is 50 years old. I'd like to pretend that is not old, but the median age in the U.S. is 38 so I can't.)

EDIT: By the way, unless he doesn't want to do it, you can pretty much bank on Drake headlining within the next few years. What a snoozefest that will be.

Calling Coldplay a "rock band" is pushing it. They are just as "pop" as Maroon 5.
  • Options
    BSullyBSully Indiana Posts: 1,046
    I hope they continue with the crappy halftime shows personally.
    I use that time to get up, move around away from the TV and maybe fix another snack or drink.

If I wanted to watch the halftime show, I couldn't leave the couch for 5 straight hours.
    1998: Noblesville, IN 08-17
    2000: Noblesville, IN 08-18
    2003: Noblesville, IN 06-22
    2006: Cincinnati, OH 06-24
    2010: Noblesville, IN 05-07
    2016: Lexington, KY 04-26, Wrigley Field 2 08-22
    2018: Wrigley Field 1 08-18, Wrigley Field 2 08-20
    2022: St. Louis, MO 09-18
    2024: Noblesville, IN 08-26, Wrigley Field 1 08-29, Wrigley Field 2 08-31
  • Options
    Maybe they could play a halftime show for the Puppy Bowl, with call in donations for animal rescue groups. I could get behind that. 
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,371
    devonfz said:
    Hasn’t been a rock band in years that played all by themselves. They only do crossover hip-hop, rap, and I doubt they’re changing. The shows have been only entertaining in the absolute horribleness and cringe worthy Ness sadly, the only rock ‘n’ roll band playing this show anytime soon and my guess would be the Foo Fighters
    Why wouldn't it be cringeworthy with a rockband up there fakeplaying their instruments?

I never saw anyone describing the Eminem/Dr Dre/Snoop/Mary j Blige/50 Cent thing as cringey. Nor Rihanna.

i imagine you are very, very alone in your corner on this.
    Rihanna wasn't cringeworthy. It was just dull. I'm not saying that because I don't like pop music. Like I said, I loved Bruno Mars. Shakira and J. Lo were fun. I think the only Rihanna hit I really like is "Pon de Replay," and she didn't play that one at the Super Bowl. 
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,945
    Oh god please don't...