Options

So is Eli better than Peyton?

Comments

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,354
    DewieCox wrote:
    No....It's closer, but still not that close.

I know the point is to win championships, but in the NFL it's the best TEAM that wins.

Right on, but Eli has been the man in the clutch. He puts the ball where his receivers can make spectacular plays and boy have they come through. I have no doubt Peyton would trade all of his stats for a second Super Bowl title that is never going to come for him, while Eli is young enough and good enough to win a third if the Giants continue to draft well on defense and reestablish the running game. Go Big Blue!

PS: I had leftover wings for breakfast to celebrate this victory!

I'd be more impressed if you said i had beers & wings for breakfast ;)
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,043
    BinFrog wrote:
    mickeyrat wrote:
    DewieCox wrote:
    Don't forget to remember that he hasn't won any since his receiving corp has been the better of the 2.
    OR since they got busted for spygate? So maybe it hasnt been about how good they acually are at playing the game straight up. Maybe it was about stolen signals/formations.

Again, since Spygate they have been in 2 Superbowls. That's pretty %$^&ing impressive.

(I am a Giants fan...don't lose sight of that)
    AND both times since spygate they've lost to whom? :lol::lol::lol::lol:
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Yellow LedbellyYellow Ledbelly Posts: 3,749
    edited February 2012
    First off, I'm an Eli/Ole Miss fan and never have been a Peyton fan just because he went to Tennessee. I actually met a drunken Archie Manning while Peyton was at UT and gave him major shit about letting Peyton go...that was at the time Eli was being recruited. Archie is a cool dude...and I should note that I do highly respect Peyton.

For me, I've always found the notion championships equals greatness for quarterbacks to be ridiculous. Joe Montana is considered the greatest ever by many and he is no doubt on the very short list of great ones. But, let's not forget how loaded the 49ers were back then. There are plenty of NFL qbs who get stuck on sorry teams and never accomplish anything but who is to say those same guys couldn't be put on a good team and themselves win a few titles. To me, dismissing Marino in the conversation about being the greatest strictly because he didn't win a title is absurd. Give him Jerry Rice, Roger Craig and the other receiver....what's his damn name?!?!....and I'll bet you Marino would today be the proud owner of a few titles. Put Montana with the Dolphins at the same time and he doesn't accomplish any more than dan.

So,Eli's second title doesn't mean he's better than Peyton. But at this point I think its a question that really shouldn't be answered now. Peyton is in his twilight years while Eli still have a while to go and he has continued to improve. In 5 or 6 years the answer will become clear and i think eventually Eli will be looked at as better than his brother for the right reasons....and not just because of two titles....i would also predict that Eli will have more than 2 rings by that point too
    Post edited by Yellow Ledbelly on
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    First off, I'm an Eli/Ole Miss fan and never have been a Peyton fan just because he went to Tennessee. I actually met a drunken Archie Manning while Peyton was at UT and gave him major shit about letting Peyton go...that was at the time Eli was being recruited. Archie is a cool dude...and I should note that I do highly respect Peyton.

For me, I've always found the notion championships equals greatness for quarterbacks. Joe Montana is considered the greatest ever by many and he is no doubt on the very short list of great ones. But, let's not forget how loaded the 49ers were back then. There are plenty of NFL qbs who get stuck on sorry teams and never accomplish anything but who is to say those same guys couldn't be put on a good team and themselves win a few titles. To me, dismissing Marino in the conversation about being the greatest strictly because he didn't win a title is absurd. Give him Jerry Rice, Roger Craig and the other receiver....what's his damn name?!?!....and I'll bet you Marino would today be the proud owner of a few titles. Put Montana with the Dolphins at the same time and he doesn't accomplish any more than dan.

So,Eli's second title doesn't mean he's better than Peyton. But at this point I think its a question that really shouldn't be answered now. Peyton is in his twilight years while Eli still have a while to go and he has continued to improve. In 5 or 6 years the answer will become clear and i think eventually Eli will be looked at as better than his brother for the right reasons....and not just because of two titles....i would also predict that Eli will have more than 2 rings by that point too

John Taylor
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    THANK YOU!!! I hate it when I do that. I had actually gotten the John part but was still blanking on the last name

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413

Eli isn't gonna keep getting better and better he's probably levelling off right now. The only way Eli is ever going to be viewed as a better QB outside of SB rings is if Peyton's injury really diminishes his skills and even then Eli is never gonna be close to what Peyton was in his prime.

If Peyton comes back fully healthy from his injury look for him to be an MVP candidate every year for the rest of his career. Eli just had his best year so far and wasn't even in the conversation.
  • Options
    I wasn't insinuating that Eli is going to continue to get better and better...but should he be able to relatively maintain the standard he set this year...you're right, his best so far...for the next several seasons he should be looked at as every bit as good as Peyton ever was.
    I'm afraid Peyton probably won't be the same again but maybe so. But, if he does I think his ability to be an annual MVP candidate will depend on where he ends up playing...he won't be an MVP candidate in Washington, maybe SF, but not Washington....those two from the last I've heard being the most likely spots for him at this point in the opinions of most

• Options
    CMP ATT YDS CMP% AVG TD LNG INT FUM RAT
    2011 Regular Season 359 589 4,933 61.0 8.38 29 99 16 6 92.9

2010 Regular Season 450 679 4,700 66.3 6.92 33 73 17 2 91.9

Eli's best season measures up pretty well to one of Peyton's average seasons...and Peyton was missing his go to guy for about half the season and yet again, no running game.
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    DewieCox wrote:

Eli's best season measures up pretty well to one of Peyton's average seasons...and Peyton was missing his go to guy for about half the season and yet again, no running game.

Eli was also supported by a horrible run game for most of the season this year.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    BinFrog wrote:
    DewieCox wrote:

Eli was also supported by a horrible run game for most of the season this year.
    Actually the worst in the league. Of course Peyton hasn't usually had much of any help on the ground.
    THe MVP thing is meaningless to me...frankly, the fact that Eli wasn't mentioned in the conversation this year illustrates the meaningless-ness of the MVP. Where would the Giants have been without Eli's clutch play all season? They wouldn't have even been in the playoffs, no where close to it. What 16, 17 touchdowns in the fourth quarter....7 or 8 game winning drives....that's clutch and that's pretty damned valuable too

• Options
    DewieCox wrote:
    No....It's closer, but still not that close.

I know the point is to win championships, but in the NFL it's the best TEAM that wins.

Right on, but Eli has been the man in the clutch. He puts the ball where his receivers can make spectacular plays and boy have they come through. I have no doubt Peyton would trade all of his stats for a second Super Bowl title that is never going to come for him, while Eli is young enough and good enough to win a third if the Giants continue to draft well on defense and reestablish the running game. Go Big Blue!

PS: I had leftover wings for breakfast to celebrate this victory!

I'd be more impressed if you said i had beers & wings for breakfast ;)

Dude, I've got two kids at home with me. Cut me some slack. ;)
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    Of course Peyton hasn't usually had much of any help on the ground.

I have to disagree with this statement. He had Edgerrin James for essentially the first half of his career, who is the all-time leading Colts running back. Also, Joseph Addai has put up some decent numbers on occasion (usually in tandem with another RB like Rhodes or Brown).
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    BinFrog wrote:
    Of course Peyton hasn't usually had much of any help on the ground.

I have to disagree with this statement. He had Edgerrin James for essentially the first half of his career, who is the all-time leading Colts running back. Also, Joseph Addai has put up some decent numbers on occasion (usually in tandem with another RB like Rhodes or Brown).

James was great. Best replacement for Faulk that they could've asked for.

Addai's been ok. Been pretty inconsistent since his first few years.
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,221
    Is Eli better than Peyton?
    Short answer, no.
    But, it does go to show that Eli Manning is one of the better quarter backs in the league. Better than Brady or Aaron Rodgers... I say nope. But, he has proven to everyone that he deserves more respect now, than he's gotten in the past.
    Also.. If Quarterbacks are rated on Super Bowl wins, does that mean that Trent Dilfer was a better quarterback than Dan Marino?
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    DURPDURP OhighO Posts: 2,180
    close call but there's no question they are both much better than Archie.

Aggred.

Eli has had better overall teams during his championship runs. The numbers don't show it this year defensivly for the Giants but the Giants were the better team.

Peyton has had some great teams but couldn't stop the Patriot machine when it was running on all cylinders.

It's a tough question because Eli has gotten better since his first Super Bowl win and he will forever have the play that we all remember. Possiblly one of the greatest plays from start to finish in 07. Peyton is a beast puts up great numbers and can read and react to defenses.

Honestly at this point it's a who do you like better question. Personally i think Peyton is a much better QB then Eli.
    My butt itches!
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    DURP wrote:

Aggred.

Eli has had better overall teams during his championship runs. The numbers don't show it this year defensivly for the Giants but the Giants were the better team.

Peyton has had some great teams but couldn't stop the Patriot machine when it was running on all cylinders.

It's a tough question because Eli has gotten better since his first Super Bowl win and he will forever have the play that we all remember. Possiblly one of the greatest plays from start to finish in 07. Peyton is a beast puts up great numbers and can read and react to defenses.

Honestly at this point it's a who do you like better question. Personally i think Peyton is a much better QB then Eli.

You mean cameras? :lol:
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    No, he's not better than Peyton. He is, however, better than a lot of people thought he was. The fact that he's not as good as Peyton and plays in such a big market seems to have had a weird effect on how he's been perceived for most of his career. Some guys are overhyped because they play in NY, but he's actually under-rated because he's not Peyton and, as a result, his struggles are magnified because he wasn't living up to his Draft Day hype in the eyes of the NY media and some fans. Now that he's got 2 rings, that'll probably change.
  • Options
    DURPDURP OhighO Posts: 2,180
    JK_Livin wrote:
    DURP wrote:

Aggred.

You mean cameras? :lol:

:lol: Yeah we can go with that. I'm over the spy gate drama it happened the Pats got a slap on the wrist and the NFL keeps rolling.

Like i tell my wife everyone loves and hates a winner in sports.

One thing people forget is Drew Bledsoe. Without him who knows if NE beats Pitt and goes on to win that first Super Bowl.
    My butt itches!
  • Options
    davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    is eli a HOF?
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,043
    davidtrios wrote:
    is eli a HOF?
    if he IS , I'll plan a trip to go burn that place down. Mediocre QB AT BEST!!!!
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    mickeyrat wrote:
    davidtrios wrote:
    is eli a HOF?
    if he IS , I'll plan a trip to go burn that place down. Mediocre QB AT BEST!!!!

to early to say...

if he retired tommorrow i would say no....but he in theory has anouther 6-8 productive years ahaed of him.

he could finish with 50K passing yards, which would be top 10 all time.

he's been to the Pro Bowl twice, and has two SB MVP awards.

if he win's a third...he could make it.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    fifefife Posts: 3,327
    One of the difference between Eli and Peyton is that the Giants built a team and the colts picked player to play with Peyton. for the colts to win they need Peyton to play great, if he has just a normal game they will lose cause everything is based on Peyton even the defense. while Eli has been great this year, the Giants had more weapons that if Eli wasn't playing great then they could still win.

I consider Peyton to be the smartest QB ever to play the game. this a guy that i think if he retired tomorrow could be a coach the next day. he plays the way you only imagine QB to play.
  • Options
    of course statistically and wins-wise they are both hands down better than Archie and that is all we can base it on at this point. So realizing that it is often ridiculous say "if this would've been this way" or "Or it that had've happened the other way", Archie was stuck on some of the most awful teams ever. Actually, many players from his time regard him as one of the best. The guy did win an MVP on a losing team. All's I'm saying is Archie definitely had the skills, he just had no chance of any success.
    So yeah, the boys are better, but Archie deserves some slack in my opinion

• Options
    No,Eli has come a long long way though. But a Def plays a big part in football. And Eli's had a much better one through out there careers.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    of course statistically and wins-wise they are both hands down better than Archie and that is all we can base it on at this point. So realizing that it is often ridiculous say "if this would've been this way" or "Or it that had've happened the other way", Archie was stuck on some of the most awful teams ever. Actually, many players from his time regard him as one of the best. The guy did win an MVP on a losing team. All's I'm saying is Archie definitely had the skills, he just had no chance of any success.
    So yeah, the boys are better, but Archie deserves some slack in my opinion

MVP? no way. he had more INT's than TD's in just about every year he played.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    OGT92OGT92 Posts: 1,588
    First off I'm a Pats fan. To me if the Giants don't have the front line on D that they have they don't win either SB. Congrats to Giants fans btw. Did Eli really do much in either game to deserve MVP? Definitely not last night. He didn't make a mistake to cost the team. Sometimes that's better than putting up huge numbers. Brady's first SB I didn't think he deserved the MVP. The defense was the reason. It was the last drive that got him the MVP IMO.

I would love to see Eli on the Saints or Packers to see what he could do. He has a great defense that came together at the right time.

And if the Cowboys could have won 1 of their last 3 games the Giants wouldn't even have made the playoffs so how good can Eli be?

He's definitely shown signs of greatness but at times he looks lost. Just my opinion.
    "I read about the evils of drinking, so I gave up reading." - Henry Youngman
  • Options
    BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    Yes!!! and He's a Hall of Famer!!! Suck It Haters, Suck it Good!
  • Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Yes!!! and He's a Hall of Famer!!! Suck It Haters, Suck it Good!
    :thumbup: :thumbup: Agreed!
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    LiftedLifted Posts: 1,684
    edited February 2012
    crazypjfan wrote:
    NO and he never will be. Peyton is an Offensive Coordinator AND qb. There is no comparison here. Eli did have a great year this season but he is noone near as good as his older brother...

clearly you haven't followed eli throughout his career. he changes plays at the line much like his brother. probably more so than peyton did when he was 8 years into his career. unlike peyton, and contrary to what some giants fans might tell you, eli has a great offensive coordinator in kevin gilbride. that said, more often than not, he audibles the plays at the line, and could clearly run an offense as playcaller if given the responsibility.

eli is better than peyton, and history will prove that.

eli is the best quarterback of all time. call me crazy right now, and it probably does sound a bit nutty at this point...but when all is said and done, eli manning will go down as the best quarterback of all time. book it.

the throws that this guy makes...well i've been watching football for a long time now, a football nerd if you want to go there....and i've never seen anyone throw the deep ball with the type of pin-point accuracy that eli puts on the ball. not to mention he is the most intelligent player in the league, and among the hardest working....and that attitude. what an attitude.

okay i admit it...i have a huge man crush on Eli Manning. that said, i stick by my statement. best quarterback of all time.
    Post edited by Lifted on
  • Options
    LiftedLifted Posts: 1,684
    OGT92 wrote:
    First off I'm a Pats fan. To me if the Giants don't have the front line on D that they have they don't win either SB. Congrats to Giants fans btw. Did Eli really do much in either game to deserve MVP? Definitely not last night. He didn't make a mistake to cost the team. Sometimes that's better than putting up huge numbers. Brady's first SB I didn't think he deserved the MVP. The defense was the reason. It was the last drive that got him the MVP IMO.

I would love to see Eli on the Saints or Packers to see what he could do. He has a great defense that came together at the right time.

And if the Cowboys could have won 1 of their last 3 games the Giants wouldn't even have made the playoffs so how good can Eli be?

He's definitely shown signs of greatness but at times he looks lost. Just my opinion.

dude! eli threw 40 passes last night and completed over 70% of them! with no interceptions. not to mention he made arguably the greatest throw in super bowl history in that pass to manningham. what the hell game were you watching?