Options

So is Eli better than Peyton?

youngsteryoungster Boston Posts: 6,574
edited October 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
Now that he is a 2 time SB/MVP winner. Granted Peyton has more time in the league and holds more records but would you consider Eli better because of his championships?
He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    close call but there's no question they are both much better than Archie.
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    edited February 2012
    It's all subjective. Is Eli better because Welker dropped a pass yesterday and Asante Samuel dropped an INT 4 years ago? If it's titles then Eli is better. If not, I say Peyton.
    Post edited by JK_Livin on
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,341
    it is closer now...but no.

much better to judge when both of their careers are over.

one thing you can say about eli, is he is much more of a clutch qb than his brother. i don't think there is any doubt about that.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    Better as far as stats are concerned? No.

Better in the clutch and a better competitor in the regular season AND post-season? Absolutely.

A lot of quarterbacks can put up huge numbers. Not many (if any, excpet maybe Brady) can throw a pass in the clutch like Eli did to Manningham in the 4th quarter last night with the game on the line.

Right now I would choose Eli over any quarterback if my team is down in the 4th quarter. Especially in the playoffs. A healthy Peyton would maybe make it to my top 5-6.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,218
    no. but i really like eli. for a guy who took a lot of abuse from fans and media he has gotten better each year and never complained. just went about his business winning games. seems like a good dude.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    I think Cooper is the best Manning QB, followed closely by Olivia.
  • Options
    Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    no...although 5 yrs ago I would have said not even close and obviously with 2 titles and his play the gap is much closer now.
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:
    no. but i really like eli. for a guy who took a lot of abuse from fans and media he has gotten better each year and never complained. just went about his business winning games. seems like a good dude.

I'll 2nd this. As a long time Giants fan, I was not sold on Eli for several years when he first came to NY. I thought he was immature and horrible under pressure. He's really matured into a great QB and he seems like a decent guy.
  • Options
    The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, Canada Posts: 12,158
    Eli has a brother?
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    No....It's closer, but still not that close.

I know the point is to win championships, but in the NFL it's the best TEAM that wins.
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    No.

I still think P. Manning is the best QB ever.

For QBs, way too much stock is put into SB wins IMO.
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    Eli has a brother?
    Good one :!:
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    MayDay10 wrote:
    No.

not sure i would go best ever...defiantly near the top
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:
    No....It's closer, but still not that close.

I know the point is to win championships, but in the NFL it's the best TEAM that wins.

Right on, but Eli has been the man in the clutch. He puts the ball where his receivers can make spectacular plays and boy have they come through. I have no doubt Peyton would trade all of his stats for a second Super Bowl title that is never going to come for him, while Eli is young enough and good enough to win a third if the Giants continue to draft well on defense and reestablish the running game. Go Big Blue!

PS: I had leftover wings for breakfast to celebrate this victory!
  • Options
    81 wrote:
    MayDay10 wrote:
    No.

not sure i would go best ever...defiantly near the top

He's easily a top 5 of all time in many categories. Heck, even overall I think it's safe to put him up there without question. But he lacks that killer instinct and clutchness in key games that he needs to be called the best ever.

Marino had amazing stats and never won the big one. He's an all-timer for sure, but not the greatest ever or even in the top 3-4.
  • Options
    DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497

That's hardcore. :lol:
  • Options
    BinFrog wrote:
    Marino had amazing stats and never won the big one. He's an all-timer for sure, but not the greatest ever or even in the top 3-4.
    Marino's got nothing on Trent Dilfer! ;)
  • Options
    Jason P wrote:
    BinFrog wrote:

There are always going to be examples of mediocre QB's winning the big one. it's most definitely a team thing for sure, don't get me wrong. I'm not going to say that the Hos winning in '90 puts him in the elite club.

But for a QB to be even considered as one of the all time greats (I'm talking top 3-4), he has to have won the big one, and preferably more than one, along with putting up huge numbers.

I just don't see Peyton in the same class as Brady and Montana and even Bradshaw. He's oh so close, but he lost the SB twice and choked in several key games. Brady lost 2 SBs, but won 3 and had a great stretch where he WAS the clutch QB in the league.
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    Peyton lost two?

Cool Joe has to be the best ever? right?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    81 wrote:

I think so, yeah.
  • Options
    davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    DS1119 wrote:

That's hardcore. :lol:

ive done that too (wings for bfast) :shifty:
  • Options
    BinFrog wrote:
    81 wrote:

I think so, yeah.
    I think Marino's appearance in Ace Venture gives him the slight edge. :D
  • Options
    neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    def. more clutch
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    BinFrog wrote:
    Jason P wrote:
    BinFrog wrote:

There are always going to be examples of mediocre QB's winning the big one. it's most definitely a team thing for sure, don't get me wrong. I'm not going to say that the Hos winning in '90 puts him in the elite club.

But for a QB to be even considered as one of the all time greats (I'm talking top 3-4), he has to have won the big one, and preferably more than one, along with putting up huge numbers.

I just don't see Peyton in the same class as Brady and Montana and even Bradshaw. He's oh so close, but he lost the SB twice and choked in several key games. Brady lost 2 SBs, but won 3 and had a great stretch where he WAS the clutch QB in the league.

Brady fucking cost them the game last night. Funny how people are overlooking that this morning. The safety and the interception were AWFUL decisions...and that pass to Welker was catchable, but still not that good. Funny he hasn't done much since they got caught taping practices. The first SB win is definitely a farce. Without the coaching and d that he's had he's probably ringless.

Manning has a SB title and got edged out by a team of destiny in another. Pretty sure he has the most 4th quarter game winning drives and come from behinds in the 4th quarter. Most of his big losses came down to a huge lack of a running game and defense that couldn't get the ball back, not to mention the epic coaching blunder last year against the Jets. He had a couple epically bad games but he's lifted that team out of deserved losses much more often than the few games that he's cost them.
  • Options
    shepshep Houston Posts: 5,652
    BinFrog wrote:
    Jason P wrote:
    BinFrog wrote:

I find it funny that you say it's a team thing, and then proceed to talk about Peyton not being a considered an "all-time-great".

The fact that his team went from 10-6 record and winning their division to a 3-13 record and not being a factor at any point during the season says that while it is a team game, a single great player can make a team great.

That being said, I am kind of disgusted that Eli's win last night makes this conversation even come up. Myself and my friends were having this discussion all day yesterday, and there's no way that Eli is even in the same class of quarterback as Peyton. You could interchange almost any reasonable quarterback and the giants would be the same team... not the colts.

The fact that the Patriots beat themselves last night with dropped balls and the Giants catching all the bounces (i.e. recovering 2 of their own fumbles), which in turn caused the Giants to win the game does not make Eli an "all-time-great"... however there will be plenty that make this arguement.

Remember all that talk last off-season about the "dynasty" in Green Bay? Well, here we go again....

Me? I'm going to try and ignore it and get lost in the hockey season.... unfortunately the only brightspot I have this year is Carey Price... :(
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • Options
    cowboypjfancowboypjfan Posts: 2,453
    NO and he never will be. Peyton is an Offensive Coordinator AND qb. There is no comparison here. Eli did have a great year this season but he is noone near as good as his older brother...
  • Options
    shep wrote:
    The fact that his team went from 10-6 record and winning their division to a 3-13 record and not being a factor at any point during the season says that while it is a team game, a single great player can make a team great.
    correction ... 2 - 14 :(
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:
    Brady fucking cost them the game last night. Funny how people are overlooking that this morning. The safety and the interception were AWFUL decisions...and that pass to Welker was catchable, but still not that good. Funny he hasn't done much since they got caught taping practices. The first SB win is definitely a farce. Without the coaching and d that he's had he's probably ringless.

Brady had a few key bad judgments and plays. But the Welker ball could have been caught. Branch dropped 2 and the drop by Hernandez was 100% inexcusable. I am not saying Brady is without fault, but a lot of blame is to be had elsewhere.

Brady hasn't done much since Spygate? Sets the record, that very same season after the story broke, for touchdown passes in a season and brings his team within 1 game of perfection while having a pretty weak defense? Leads them to the SB 4 years later? That's "nothing"?
  • Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    81 wrote:
    Peyton lost two?
    Peyton lost 1. Went to the Super Bowl twice.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,341
    let's be honest, if welker catches that ball, the pats win last night...
    chinese-happy.jpg