The National Football League

Comments

• Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,358
    If they make any kind of sliding motion the play should be over. Ridiculous. 
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,672
    edited January 16
    Yeah, that wasnt a sliding motion.  It was making a move when he saw a hole.  

Fake slide is a reach invented by Miami and Kansas City fans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUbSmCiyyF0
    Post edited by MayDay10 on
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 11,074
    MayDay10 said:
    Yeah, that wasnt a sliding motion.  It was making a move when he saw a hole.  

Fake slide is a reach invented by Miami and Kansas City fans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUbSmCiyyF0
    Hard disagree, he motioned as if he was giving up the play. 

That's like Mahomes pretending to juke out of bounds on the sideline than going for another yard or two. These QBs can't have it both ways. 
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,358
    Absolutely that was a fake slide motion. Not a natural fake or deek at all. Let's try to control our bias a little bit.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    edited January 16
    nvm
    Post edited by Merkin Baller on
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 40,132
    They should do away with the QB protection "slide" rule. If a QB wants to run, that's fine, but now they're a running back. Josh Allen can run over people, so they need to come flying at him, but if he decides to slide at the last minute and a defensive guy makes contact, he throws a tantrum and here comes the flag. 

Below is Allen being a shyster as usual, faking a slide and thus "faking out" the Steelers' defender. Also featured is later in the game where he does decide to slide, takes a soft hit, and gets the flag. I say defenders should just fucking smash him no matter what, 15-yard penalty be damned. 

https://x.com/TonyCMKE/status/1747051510611976339?s=20
    Look up how Cam Newton and RGiii faired with that thinking.
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 40,132
    Absolutely that was a fake slide motion. Not a natural fake or deek at all. Let's try to control our bias a little bit.
    He protected the ball as if he was going to be hit.  No way that was a fake slide...

edited January 16
    Twitter Link

I dont know.  You can make the case that it was the beginning of a slide process.  You can also say it was a white boy juke on a slippery field.  Either way, you cant tell what was going on in his head.  

is this Mahomes one much different?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qUCD3IuKSs

THIS is what a fake slide looks like
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_9ThuP9olU

Post edited by MayDay10 on
    In the end it only highlights what a lousy position the defenders are in. Does it make Allen a dirty player? Not in my eyes, but when the defenders have only fractions of a second to make their decisions…. Idk, I think the rules should be a bit different for QBs in motion if they’re going to get extra protection from the officials. 
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,532
    In the end it only highlights what a lousy position the defenders are in. Does it make Allen a dirty player? Not in my eyes, but when the defenders have only fractions of a second to make their decisions…. Idk, I think the rules should be a bit different for QBs in motion if they’re going to get extra protection from the officials. 
    yeah if you go beyond the line of scrimmage you're a running back...same as a goalie in hockey leaving the crease
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,404
    The league wants to protect its assets and have high scores.  Seems to me this is working perfectly. 
  • In the end it only highlights what a lousy position the defenders are in. Does it make Allen a dirty player? Not in my eyes, but when the defenders have only fractions of a second to make their decisions…. Idk, I think the rules should be a bit different for QBs in motion if they’re going to get extra protection from the officials. 
    yeah if you go beyond the line of scrimmage you're a running back...same as a goalie in hockey leaving the crease
    This is what I think as well.  💯, protect the QBs.  However, when they turn into running backs they need to be running backs. 
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    mrussel1 said:
    The league wants to protect its assets and have high scores.  Seems to me this is working perfectly. 
    I understand and agree…. It’s what the league wants. Protecting the assets is understandable, & the high scoring games are great for fantasy football, but I don’t see how tweaking the rules to influence higher scores (for the benefit of FF) is good for the game itself… IMO it takes away from it. I don’t like seeing guys get wrecked, but I don’t like seeing defenders afraid to make a tackle either. 
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,843
    They should do away with the QB protection "slide" rule. If a QB wants to run, that's fine, but now they're a running back. Josh Allen can run over people, so they need to come flying at him, but if he decides to slide at the last minute and a defensive guy makes contact, he throws a tantrum and here comes the flag. 

Below is Allen being a shyster as usual, faking a slide and thus "faking out" the Steelers' defender. Also featured is later in the game where he does decide to slide, takes a soft hit, and gets the flag. I say defenders should just fucking smash him no matter what, 15-yard penalty be damned. 

https://x.com/TonyCMKE/status/1747051510611976339?s=20
    Look up how Cam Newton and RGiii faired with that thinking.
    Then don't run past the line of scrimmage. Or get your ass out of bounds if you do. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,678
    MayDay10 said:
    Twitter Link

I dont know.  You can make the case that it was the beginning of a slide process.  You can also say it was a white boy juke on a slippery field.  Either way, you cant tell what was going on in his head.  

is this Mahomes one much different?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qUCD3IuKSs

THIS is what a fake slide looks like
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_9ThuP9olU

I'd put Allen's move right in the middle of those 2.
    The Pickett one should be outlawed. Play should be dead right where he starts to fake slide.
    Allen was borderline. I think he was thinking about sliding then saw an opening and changed his mind, not an intentional fake out like Pickett.
    This weekend we rock Portland
    edited January 16
    mrussel1 said:
    I understand and agree…. It’s what the league wants. Protecting the assets is understandable, & the high scoring games are great for fantasy football, but I don’t see how tweaking the rules to influence higher scores (for the benefit of FF) is good for the game itself… IMO it takes away from it. I don’t like seeing guys get wrecked, but I don’t like seeing defenders afraid to make a tackle either. 
    I didn't say it was for FF.  I think the league likes high scoring games because people enjoy those.  Remember the Alabama-LSU national championship?  Worst football game of all time.  The league is consistently tweaking the rules to give the offense an advantage on the defense.  Sometimes they dial it back if it goes too far, but in general it wants the offense a step ahead of the defense.  Better entertainment. 

That said...fake slides are kind of bullshit.  They should consider calling it unsportsmanlike conduct.  That would kill that problem in a minute. 
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    I didn't say it was for FF.  I think the league likes high scoring games because people enjoy those.  Remember the Alabama-LSU national championship?  Worst football game of all time.  The league is consistently tweaking the rules to give the offense an advantage on the defense.  Sometimes they dial it back if it goes too far, but in general it wants the offense a step ahead of the defense.  Better entertainment. 

That said...fake slides are kind of bullshit.  They should consider calling it unsportsmanlike conduct.  That would kill that problem in a minute. 

I wasn't trying to put words in your mouth… I agree they want high scoring games, and I think fantasy has as much to do with it as anything else, if not more. The league has a financial interest in fantasy football, and I don’t think the increasing profitability in fantasy and the increase in rules favoring offenses and protecting the QB over the last 20 years are entirely unrelated. 

I get your point... “chicks dig the long ball” applies to football too. Most of the viewing public don’t want to see a 7-3 defensive slog in the NFL… they want to see 80-yard TD bombs… it makes perfect sense. But when it gets to the point that teams can’t play defense anymore, I think that waters down /  takes away from the game.

I agree w/ the last point & might take it a step further… if the QB is going to get extra protection as a runner, his options as to what he can do once he leaves the pocket should be limited.
    edited January 16
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

I wasn't trying to put words in your mouth… I agree they want high scoring games, and I think fantasy has as much to do with it as anything else, if not more. The league has a financial interest in fantasy football, and I don’t think the increasing profitability in fantasy and the increase in rules favoring offenses and protecting the QB over the last 20 years are entirely unrelated. 

I get your point... “chicks dig the long ball” applies to football too. Most of the viewing public don’t want to see a 7-3 defensive slog in the NFL… they want to see 80-yard TD bombs… it makes perfect sense. But when it gets to the point that teams can’t play defense anymore, I think that waters down /  takes away from the game.

I agree w/ the last point & might take it a step further… if the QB is going to get extra protection as a runner, his options as to what he can do once he leaves the pocket should be limited.
    I don't know man.. the older I get, the longer my balls get.  That doesn't seem to be helping all that much. 

IN hockey you have embellishing and that's a 2 minute.  Basketball has dives.  You definitely could get rid of the fake slide.  Although does it really happen all that often?  I would think it would be more. 
    Post edited by mrussel1 on
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,924
    I didn’t look at the Josh Allen slide/no slide thing with Zapruder like detail but it looks to me like Josh just juked the guy. Still, no doubt defenders are at a disadvantage when it comes to deciding what to do with a running QB.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,532
    Wobbie said:
    I didn’t look at the Josh Allen slide/no slide thing with Zapruder like detail but it looks to me like Josh just juked the guy. Still, no doubt defenders are at a disadvantage when it comes to deciding what to do with a running QB.
    Yeah I think his was more of a juke but you're right about the defenders being hesitant. If he slides and you tackle him you get penalized...if he jukes or fakes a slide and you don't tackle him to avoid a penalty then he's 15 yards further down the field.

I do like the idea of a penalty for embellishing the slide...maybe that's the best answer. 
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
    who’s more likely to be fired, mccarthy or siriani?

mccarthy has definitely underperformed and can’t manage the clock any better than garrett but I think the players like him. he works for an impulsive owner, but that same impulsive owner kept garrett for 8(?) years. the impulsive owner does like a yes man.

siriani got to the SB last year and works for a seemingly less impulsive owner, but I think his cocky schtick has worn thin and I don’t think the players are united behind him.

both coaches work in markets with delusional fans.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,781
    Lane Johnson yesterday's comments about BODY LANGUAGE....to me its a Shot at Jalen, he looks annoyed all the time, looks miserable...thats at least what im reading into it. AJ Brown is great, but seams he probably causes issues, that locker room knows something

• Nicky boy.
    Read the responses the players had to questions about the future.  Nobody coming out and clearly advocating for him the way that Dak did for Coach Chubby in Dallas.  

Also...Cowboys can't win in playoffs.  Eagles can.  The play calling this season was a total joke and the team js coached by am offensive guy, the team running a version of his offense.  If it was a coordinator issue he should have taken over at some point.  Fact that he didn't, and their go to play all year was a QB run.....he should have been fired already.  That offense has very good players.  No reason to be crap.

• (They should both be replaced, imo)
    Wobbie said:
    who’s more likely to be fired, mccarthy or siriani?

mccarthy has definitely underperformed and can’t manage the clock any better than garrett but I think the players like him. he works for an impulsive owner, but that same impulsive owner kept garrett for 8(?) years. the impulsive owner does like a yes man.

siriani got to the SB last year and works for a seemingly less impulsive owner, but I think his cocky schtick has worn thin and I don’t think the players are united behind him.

both coaches work in markets with delusional fans.
    Neither are good.  McCarthy isn't preparing his team properly.  

The Eagles phoned it in and didn't show up for more than a month.  The Bucs are not very good.  That was a simply pathetic performance by the Eagles.  

I'd rather have McCarthy.  No excuse for players not playing.  Not tackling. Not trying. 
  • CROJAM95 said:
    Lane Johnson yesterday's comments about BODY LANGUAGE....to me its a Shot at Jalen, he looks annoyed all the time, looks miserable...thats at least what im reading into it. AJ Brown is great, but seams he probably causes issues, that locker room knows something

Tough call on Brown.  He did not go to the playoff game.  Not sure that is a teammate I want to line up with.....
    I think Sirianni may be in more peril.

Something is going on behind the scenes there.  That team gave up.  There is some sort of lockerroom drama and I suspect the cocky coach is involved, which is a death knell.

With McCarthy, Jerry Jones built a reputation of patience with Garrett.  I think he likes coaches who he works well with and who are willing to tolerate his general managing and being the boss.  
    “coach chubby”….that’s uncalled for….but funny. :lol:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    CROJAM95 said:
    Lane Johnson yesterday's comments about BODY LANGUAGE....to me its a Shot at Jalen, he looks annoyed all the time, looks miserable...thats at least what im reading into it. 

from the outside looking in, it seems like hurts picked up on saban’s “personality” during his time at bama…..cocky when things are going good, mopey and condescending when they’re not. he needs to get his shit together if he wants a long career.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16