The National Football League

Comments

• Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,358
    Minshew sucks and is super annoying. Glad the Colts lost. 
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,923
    mrussel1 said:
    Puzzling play call with game on line for Colts.  Guy could have easily caught, but Steichen (sp?) Outsmarted himself. Run the ball!

Good for Texans.  I like that team, lots to root for.
    You mean the team where the management set up a hotel and provided NDAs to protect the players for "massages"?  And were all aware of what was happening? Hilarious how we side with the white owners over the black athletes. 
    hard to root for irsay’s colts either. I don’t love the teams but they each have players I like.

are there really ANY owners we can root for???? probably….tell me who’s “good”…
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,678
    Wobbie said:
    Poncier said:
    Puzzling play call with game on line for Colts.  Guy could have easily caught, but Steichen (sp?) Outsmarted himself. Run the ball!

That final drive was brutal to watch. They bled the clock so they only had the one chance, no urgency. Always attack and throw in that situation so you have the opportunity for 2 late drives. 
    completely disagree. colts had that game won…they just fucked it up.
    If you're trailing by 6, in no way do you "have the game won". They needed to show urgency on that last drive. Their failure to do so left them with 1 second after the safety to try a miracle lateral play. Better clock management and proper use of their first timeout (another brutal move, letting the play clock wind all the way down then using it on 4th down) and they at least get one more drive with maybe 1.5-2 minutes or so to operate.
    Steichen was playing to score with very little time left for Stroud to answer, problem is that strategy only works if, well, you score. Better to go quicker and give yourself time for another attempt to score. If you score with 3 minutes left, then let your defense do its job. He outsmarted himself.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,810
    Poncier said:
    Wobbie said:
    Poncier said:

That final drive was brutal to watch. They bled the clock so they only had the one chance, no urgency. Always attack and throw in that situation so you have the opportunity for 2 late drives. 
    If you're trailing by 6, in no way do you "have the game won". They needed to show urgency on that last drive. Their failure to do so left them with 1 second after the safety to try a miracle lateral play. Better clock management and proper use of their first timeout (another brutal move, letting the play clock wind all the way down then using it on 4th down) and they at least get one more drive with maybe 1.5-2 minutes or so to operate.
    Steichen was playing to score with very little time left for Stroud to answer, problem is that strategy only works if, well, you score. Better to go quicker and give yourself time for another attempt to score. If you score with 3 minutes left, then let your defense do its job. He outsmarted himself.

Agree. The Colts got too cheeky in trying to score on the last play of the game. It left them in a pickle.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain Posts: 31,110
    edited January 7
    mrussel1 said:

You mean the team where the management set up a hotel and provided NDAs to protect the players for "massages"?  And were all aware of what was happening? Hilarious how we side with the white owners over the black athletes. 
    Wait, are we acknowledging that something was wrong with Watson?

Your point is in part a good one, minus race and the way you root for Watson now, and I should carry animosity toward the Texans for enabling that scumbag
    They did get rid of his grubby ass, and hire an awesome coach, and hit the jackpot with their qb selection.

I don't rank the Houston owners in the bottom of the barrel but I will consider that in how I view them.  I can root for the players and coaches that I like, though, and keep that in the equation

My statement has nothing to do with race - that is just witless.
    Post edited by F Me In The Brain on
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • DewieCox said:

Puzzling play call? They had the first down, possibly aTD with HOU’s inability to tackle. That one’s on Minshew and Goodson. 
    Yes, you could take that and it is tough to argue.
    The reason I was puzzled was because of how good their RB was and how they could seem to gain a yard with him vs. Going with a pass in a somewhat shaky passing game.

You are right though....the qb could have passed better...and the RB 100% should have caught that.
    Poncier said:
    Wobbie said:
    Poncier said:

Hindsight is 20/20. I still disagree. What if they score, go up by one and Houston only needs a FG? This isn’t a hill I’ll die for but I thought the strategy was sound.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Wobbie said:
    Poncier said:
    Wobbie said:
    Poncier said:

Hindsight is 20/20. I still disagree. What if they score, go up by one and Houston only needs a FG? This isn’t a hill I’ll die for but I thought the strategy was sound.
    I agree with you, although I can certainly see the other point.  I just would have not taken Taylor off the field.  Even if you want to pass you need the defense to fear the Taylor run for one yard.  He left the field and everyone knew it was a pass.  (Although the RB was still open!)
    and, obviously poncier, I’ve seen a lot more football than you. Like, leather helmet football.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • I like how you got jn front of the joke you knew was on the way!
    I like how you got jn front of the joke you knew was on the way!
    poncier is pretty predictable.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Glorified KCGlorified KC Posts: 2,616
    Wobbie said:
    mrussel1 said:

hard to root for irsay’s colts either. I don’t love the teams but they each have players I like.

The Hunt family.  Clark has carried his father, Lamar’s legacy with respect and dignity.
    I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,402
    edited January 7
    mrussel1 said:

Wait, are we acknowledging that something was wrong with Watson?

Your point is in part a good one, minus race and the way you root for Watson now, and I should carry animosity toward the Texans for enabling that scumbag
    They did get rid of his grubby ass, and hire an awesome coach, and hit the jackpot with their qb selection.

I don't rank the Houston owners in the bottom of the barrel but I will consider that in how I view them.  I can root for the players and coaches that I like, though, and keep that in the equation

My statement has nothing to do with race - that is just witless.
    I'm just pointing out the facts.  The owner is white,  the player is black. You like the organization that enabled the really bad (not criminal) behavior. There was no "wit" intended so I don't know WTF that snide comment was about. 

I'm also pointing out that there are those here who hate the Browns for signing Watson when their own rooting interest signed players who actually committed violent crimes.  But those are okay.  

I'm also curious what happened to second chances,  grace,  reform.  Evidently we don't believe in that when we don't like the team.  

And FTR, I don't "like" Watson,  but to think I'm going to disown the team I've loved since birth is absurd.  Clearly you didn't hate the Niners even after their signing decisions so presumably you can understand that,  right?

Post edited by mrussel1 on
    Wobbie said:
    mrussel1 said:

The Hunt family.  Clark has carried his father, Lamar’s legacy with respect and dignity.
    I’ll take your word for it. Clark looks a lot like Jimmy Carter. :lol:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    the ascension of jacksoville sure ended in a hurry.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,402
    Wobbie said:
    Terrible choke. Really bad for the last month-plus.
    Wobbie said:
    They were literally the 1-seed a few weeks ago.
    edited January 8
    Not going to waste more time rehashing the same argument, especially when the person making the argument admitted in the past that some of the points are made to play devils advocate.
    We are not going to agree on this.

Entertaining day, despite many of the games being essentially pre-season games.  
    Wild that if Miami wins they get to play Buffalo again next week.  

edited January 8
    Wobbie said:
    They were literally the 1-seed a few weeks ago.

Also... wow the Jags finished horribly.  Cannot believe they lost out and missed the playoffs.  
  • Bears fans....
    Trade #1 and #9 and load up on picks for 2024, reshape the roster.
    (Suggest getting rid of existing gm first?)

What do you guys think?
    Bears fans....
    Trade #1 and #9 and load up on picks for 2024, reshape the roster.
    (Suggest getting rid of existing gm first?)

What do you guys think?
    keep justin, trade #1, maybe keep #9.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    so, there’s a WC game that is ONLY on peacock? WTF?

I guess the worst game is bucs/eagles? :lol:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Wobbie said:
    so, there’s a WC game that is ONLY on peacock? WTF?

I guess the worst game is bucs/eagles? :lol:
    Yeah, I think they are the two teams that the other teams wanted to play in round 1, and they are playing one another.
    Who knows....either team could beat the other teams but looked crap today.
    they’re putting the chiefs on peacock. :tired_face:

did taylor have something to do with this?

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Fuck, I missed all that while texting at halftime.
    Hopefully the login I used previously for the Peacock game works for playoffs.

edited January 8
    Eagles / Bucs get screwed with the Monday game - this would leave them with a day less of rest, wouldnt it?  Especially since they could be going to SF,  who has the bye.  Seems wrong.
    Should have put Cowboys on Monday.
    my first thought about fins/chiefs is that andy reid weighs about two mike mcdaniels.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,672
    edited January 8
    McDaniel looked like he wanted to crawl into a hole and die after that game.

The bills tried to hand them the game countless times and they still can't beat allen
    KC on Peacock exclusively and I don’t have Peacock here in Wisconsin.  Looks like I’ll be a temporary subscriber.
    Wobbie said:
    my first thought about fins/chiefs is that andy reid weighs about two mike mcdaniels.
    Shit Mahomes probably weighs 1.5 McDaniels.